Start by marking “Shout” as Want to Read:
Shout

Shout

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  6,736 ratings  ·  1,452 reviews
A searing poetic memoir and call to action from the bestselling and award-winning author of Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson!

Bestselling author Laurie Halse Anderson is known for the unflinching way she writes about, and advocates for, survivors of sexual assault. Now, inspired by her fans and enraged by how little in our culture has changed since her groundbreaking novel Spea
Published March 12th 2019 by Penguin Young Readers Group

To ask other readers questions about Shout, please sign up.
Ryne No veo promociones para el libro en español, pero acaba de ser publicado, entonces es probable que demore un poco. Además, es un libro escrito en…moreNo veo promociones para el libro en español, pero acaba de ser publicado, entonces es probable que demore un poco. Además, es un libro escrito en poesía, lo que sugiere que tardará un tiempo en hacer una traducción satisfactoria.(less)

·  6,736 ratings  ·  1,452 reviews

Emily May
“the overlap of my stories and my life
is a garden courtyard, sky-strung with stars”

The first half of this book was a 4-star read for me, but the second half was a full shimmering 5 stars. So it gets 4 stars, rounded up.

It's been a long time since I read Speak, but I still recall how deeply that book affected me. In a time of #MeToo, it is easy to forget how powerful and important little books like that were for readers. Every day, survivors are finding their voices and learning how they, too,
Laurie Anderson
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
My truth.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I love this author. Speak is one of my favorite movies. I love books written in verse. I'm going to add some random quotes from the book. Hold on to your bootstraps. You know I don't like to write big reviews any more.....SPOILERS AHEAD

this book smells like me
woodsmoke
salt
honey and strawberries
sunscreen, libraries
failures and sweat
green nights in the mountains
cold dawns by the sea

this book reeks
of my fear
of depression's black dogs howling
and the ancient shames riding
my back, their claws
burie
Hannah Greendale
Part One (roughly the first half of the book) drones on, but Part Two and Three bring thunder and rage and unapologetic ferocity to the issue of sexual abuse, rape, and the unforgivable way society treats women (and men) who find the courage to come forward and speak the truth.
the question is born out of true confusion
no one ever told him the rules of intimacy
or the law, his dad only talks about condoms
with a "don't get her pregnant" warning
his mom says "talk to your father"
so he watches a lot
Julie Ehlers
I didn't speak up
when that boy raped me, instead I scalded
myself in the shower and turned
me into the ghost of the girl
I once was, my biggest fear
being that my father,
no stranger to gaming
with the devil,
would kill that boy

and it would be my fault.

I was impressed by Laurie Halse Anderson's first novel, Speak, and several years later what I remember most about the 10th anniversary edition I read was the poem Halse Anderson included at the beginning, about all the young women and girls who have reac
Mackenzi
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
wow.
Schizanthus
Content warnings include sexual assault, PTSD, war, physical abuse, fat shaming, alcohol and other drug use.
This is the story of a girl who lost her voice and wrote herself a new one.
I expect I’m one of the only ones reading SHOUT before they’ve read Speak. I’ve had Speak on my ‘I absolutely have to read this book’ list for as long as I can remember but still haven’t read it. I searched my local library for it but they don’t own it. I tried for several years to buy it on Kindle but it wasn’t
Ashleigh Rose
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“too many grown-ups tell kids to follow their dreams / like that’s going to get them somewhere / Auntie Laurie says follow your nightmares instead / cuz when you figure out what’s eating you / you can slay it” || Thank you for having the courage to lead the way in this work, @halseanderson. Your bravery and words are an eternal gift to us all; I am thankful to have your torch blazing a path for us and igniting the sparks within us. 🔥 💛3.12.19 #SHOUT
Tatiana
If you, like me, read YA looking for excellence, Shout is the book not to be missed. If you get an audio version read by the author, even better. (The best if you listen to it at 1.25 speed).

Half memoir, half a work of advocacy for sexual assault survivors, it grew on me the more I listened to it. It is written in verse, and I personally didn't think it was always effective, especially in the memoir part. In fact, I thought verse short changed Anderson's auto-biographical narrative that would ha
Trina (Between Chapters)
I'm intentionally not giving a star rating because it doesn't seem fair to me to assign ratings to personal memoirs. That said, I'd recommend this book to just about anyone.

To people who have experienced sexual assault, harassment, and rape - this book is inclusive and I think would provide healing and a mirror.

To people who haven't - You likely know someone who has experienced assault. Many can't, or don't want to talk about it. If you want to gain some understanding, here is an account that i
Christy
“This note about anatomy
from me to you
is for the remembering that
after you speak
after you shout
your open mouth
will breathe in the light
for which you've hungered
and your backbone will unfurl,
until you can again dance to the beat
of your steadfast heart.”

This was a powerful read and I love Laurie Halse Anderson's voice. She narrated the audio book herself. The first half was really slow for me and I struggled to get through it, but the end finished strong.
Kelly
This searing, timely, timeless memoir in verse will sweep every "best of" in 2019.

This is Laurie's story, about being a survivor, about being a woman, about being an advocate who is passionate about young people, about intellectual freedom, and about being the best people we can all possibly be. It's angry and it's hopeful. It's sad and it's powerful. It's real and raw.

The verse is flawless. It adds movement and clarity. It is exactly what it wants to be: a shout, not a whisper.

Put it on your
Kim
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
2019's first superstar. LHA has long been known as a rockstar of consent, a revealer of truths for teens, and in Shout, she gets very personal with her own story--her childhood, her own sexual assault and recovery, and her journey to the writing life. I was left with the tiniest sense of the weight she must carry, as holder of all those secrets of her readers, and the dynamo of her power.

GET THIS BOOK.
Alyse Liebovich
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, poetry
Speak is one of the first books I had to read in grad school for my YA lit class. I remember feeling thinking, wow, this is not what I expected YA lit to be. YA lit was not really a thing when I was actually considered a YA, so this was news to me. I was encouraged that authors were broaching these type of devastating but important subjects and that students had access to these kinds of stories.

When I first saw Shout was being released, I added it to the virtual cart to purchase for the library
Ilana
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So powerful. Essential reading actually. I felt the urge to read this book when it was announced as up and coming. Borrowed an ebook version from the library and the loan expires in less than 24 hours and when I finished it in the small hours yesterday I was already thinking I should get my own copy, either in print or as an ebook or in the audio format which is narrated by Laurie Halse Anderson herself, which must make for an... lump in my throat, having trouble typing... quite an experience, t ...more
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laurie,
Thank you for this book. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
**I listened to the audio and later read the book. I preferred the audio.

Laurie Halse Anderson didn’t just write a memoir in verse, she a poet, whose voice drips the poetry of youthful innocence and pain.

Childhood set her up to be victimized by It, the boy who raped her, the way girls and women were subservient to boys and men. I know this because I was born in 1964, two or three years after Anderson. As I listened to her narrating the gem she titled SHOUT, tears pricked my eyes, because her ex
KC
With her follow up to SPEAK, Laurie Halse Anderson once again puts forth a powerful piece of literature filled with compelling prose along with fierce dialog. Anderson successfully pulls back the tragic layers to the continual occurrences of rape, sexual assault, misogyny and all too often "turning a blind eye" and "victim blaming". As our country begins to heal and educate itself through the ME TOO movement, we are witness to protests, demonstrations and conversation with the hopes of no longer ...more
Karen
Empowering memoir in verse. Releases 3/12/2019 and when it does, I’m buying my own copy so I can write in the margins and underline quotes. I was lucky enough to read an ARC. I highly recommend it for all high school collections and it also has incredibly strong adult appeal. Every word matters - stories matter - life stories matter. Get this book into as many hands as you can. This is more than a call-to-action. This is a battle cry.
Janet
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cc @halseanderson I’m utterly gobsmacked. SHOUT is outstanding, profoundly moving work that will have you crying on one page while raising your fist in defiance and strength on the next. This is a phenomenal book; I can say that reading it changed me for the better.

Five trillion stars, Laurie Halse Anderson. ❤❤❤
Karen
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible.

This book not only discusses the incident, but the before. The after. The healing. The learning. The leaning on each other. This book shares and gives and lifts up. This book was beautiful and heartbreaking and glorious and I'm going to recommend it to everyone because everyone needs it.
Kara Leann
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely stunning! This should be required reading for all teenagers and adults.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
DNF @ pg 59

If you can handle memoirs about trauma, this is a beautifully crafted one. I thought I could handle this one, and maybe another time, I'll try it again and it'll be cathartic and healing, the way I hoped it would be this time. Unfortunately, right now, I just can't do it. But I highly recommend giving it a try if you can bear LHA's raw honesty and pain.
Amy
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read Speak nearly 20 years ago. Back then, Speak was my favorite book. It stuck with me for years afterwards. It’s one of the few books that I really remember even after all these years.

At some point, after you’ve read 1000 or so books, they can start to blur.

I was hesitant to start Shout. How do you follow up a book like Speak? And with a book of poems? They aren’t really my thing.

As with most hyped things I think, “No, not for me. I have a million things to read, I’m not going to give in an
Text Publishing
‘[P]erhaps the most significant contribution of any memoir of childhood sexual assault and abuse...Her book is a powerful testament that bears witness not just to her own pain, and the pain of others similarly abused, but also to the power of speaking persistently, time and time again, about topics that most people don’t want to hear.'
LA Review of Books

‘Shout is for survivors, for abusers and assaulters, for consenting young men and women, for gatekeepers unwilling to let sex through. Immensely
Sami
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what made me cry more: the ragged grace of the prose, or Laurie Halse Anderson's gut-wrenching life story. In a collection that feels both autobiographical and impersonal, Laurie's life journey is mixed with her thoughts on rape culture, declarations of belonging, redemption, and hope for anyone who has suffered at the hands of another. She pulls no punches, and it can be unbearably hard to read, but this is one of the most important gifts we can give to the generations to come.
Gary Anderson
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll just send you over to Alyse Liebovich's review. I can't write a better review of Shout than hers.
Kazia
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made my heart break and mend and break and mend and mend and mend.
Rose
Review to come sometime later. I thought this was an excellent reflection through the use of poetry of the author's experiences and observations of many important issues.
Chelsea
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
tw: rape
Pain won’t be contained
by bars or marks
your scars deserve attention, too.

In true Laurie Halse Anderson style, her memoir is powerful and lets the truth fly. I loved learning about Laurie's life, told in her signature visceral, brave style.

Laurie Halse Anderson inspired me when I was ten years old, reading the Vet Volunteers series, and now she inspires me with her unflinching look at teen life and her ability to tell her own story in a way that packs a huge punch.

Don't let the fact t

• Dig
  • Shouting at the Rain
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • How I Discovered Poetry
  • Etched in Clay: The Life of Dave, Enslaved Potter and Poet
  • Out of Wonder: Poems Celebrating Poets
  • Victoria: Portrait of a Queen
  • Let's Go Swimming on Doomsday

Ask box is open, my friends! What do you want to know?

UPDATE!

SHOUT, my memoir in verse, is out and has received 8 starred reviews!

I recently answered all kinds of great questions over at Reddit. Check it out for loads about my writing process and my books:https://www.reddit.com/r/books/commen...

For bio stuff: Laurie Halse Anderson is a New York Times bestselling author whose writing spans young r
“too many grown-ups tell kids to follow their dreams
like that's going to get them somewhere
Auntie Laurie says follow your nightmares instead
cuz when you figure out what's eating you alive
you can slay it”
20 likes
“We should teach our girls that snapping is ok, instead of waiting for someone else to break them.” 10 likes