Start by marking “That Ain't Witchcraft (InCryptid)” as Want to Read:
That Ain't Witchcraft (InCryptid)

That Ain't Witchcraft

(InCryptid #8)

Now a Hugo-nominated series!

The eighth book in the funny and fast-paced InCryptid urban fantasy series returns to the mishaps of the Price family, eccentric cryptozoologists who safeguard the world of magical creatures living in secret among humans.

Crossroads, noun:

1. A place where two roads cross.
2. A place where bargains can be made.
3. See also “places to avoid.”

A
Published March 5th 2019 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about That Ain't Witchcraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Ain't Witchcraft

Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Seriously, thanks. Because WOW. Seanan is just a master of her craft. She threw some huge curveballs into the storyline in this one and the risks paid off! I'll spoil as little as possible, but I have to say a few things to get my feelings across.

First, I adore Annie and her friends. I'm sad this is the last Antimony book for now. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about Sarah's two books coming up n
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

4.5 hearts

The thing I really like about the Incryptid series is it follows a uniquely charming/crazy family of Cryptozoologists as they interact with a variety of creatures thought to be mythical.  This ranges from things which are super small, like worms and plant life (be careful it might eat you) to loch ness monsters to Gorgons to mice that can speak. Let’s just say the range of creatures is staggering and then there are also the ghosts,
Annie, Sam, Fern and Cylia may have escaped Lowryland with their lives but it came at a high price considering that Annie now owes an unspecified favour to the Crossroads. It doesn't help that Annie is still running from the Covenant of St. George so she can't even turn to her family for help. All the group can do is try to stay ahead of the game, Cylia's luck magic has been playing a big part in keeping them safe but luck will only get them so far and it's only a matter of time before the Coven ...more
Fiona
You could say I'm a fan of this series - another way to put that would be that I've read all 8 books and 35 novellas, and still don't think there's enough InCryptid out there. So while this is definitely not going to be an unbiased review, I'm at least coming from a place of pretty thorough knowledge.

That Ain't Witchcraft marks the wrapping up of the arc focusing on Antimony Price, youngest of the Price siblings who first introduced us to this weird and wonderful - but scientific - world. This a
Beth
Annie, AKA Antimony Price, and a group of her incryptids friends are on the run for the covenant. They thought they found a safe hide-a-way in Maine, only to discover that not only did the future leader of the covenant, Leo track Annie down. But they are also sitting on a serious crossroads, with the crossroads ready to claim the debt Annie incurred when they saved her and Sam.

That Ain’t Witchcraft is one of those white knuckle, packed full of everything you’ve been waiting to find out, McGuire
Lisa Wolf
A note on the rating: I was going to go with 4 stars, simply because this isn't the best of the best of the InCryptid series. But still, the entire series is terrific, so 5 stars it is!

Seanan McGuire can pretty much do no wrong in my worldview, and That Ain't Witchcraft is a prime example of why. The InCryptid series is relatively light-hearted, although bad things do happen, but overall these books maintain a whimsical, wise-ass feel that keeps the mood more on the fun end of the urban fantasy
kimbacaffeinate
Brilliant. RTC.
Kira
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Find this and other reviews at grumpybookgrrrl

Annie is still on the run from the covenant. In case they find her, she can’t contact her family. She and her friends end up in a tiny town in Maine. Trouble finds her even in such a small place. She meets a strange local boy with interesting theories. The crossroads call in her debt. Liam Cunningham finds her.

I found this book to be vastly more interesting than the last one. Everything learned about the crossroads was fascinating although it by no m
Thomas
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Well, Seanan McGuire does it again. I have no clue how she continues to pour out such a flood of incredibly entertaining material. She’s definitely got it figured out, that’s for sure.

This isn’t even my favorite Seanan McGuire series. That’s no put down when you consider that that honor goes to October Daye, which has the advantage of following the same hero throughout the series, a plus for me.

Still, this one earns all its stars. It follows the youngest Price, Antimony, as she goes up against a
Maria Dimitrova
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

That Ain't Witchcraft is the Eighth installment in author Seanan McGuire's InCryptid series. It is also the third book featuring Antimony (Annie) Price, the youngest of the Price family of cryptozoologists. As Annie's story continues, she and her friends Cylia, Fern, and Sam are still attempting to lie low and not be caught by the Covenant of St. George who her sister Verity declared war on in the book called Chaos Choreography.

*Full R
Debrac2014
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the ending! Aeslin mice by proxy!
Sionna
*I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

Another fantastic addition to a fun series. I'm so happy we've had three books of Annie -- it has been a great journey. I think of the three siblings, Annie is my favorite.
Honestly, these books have a great mix of fantasy while still feeling like real life and there continue to be more and more supernatural creatures which is astounding. This is a world that is easy to get swept up in.

I'm not a total fa
Melliane
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mon avis en Français

My English review

Like always, I was really looking forward to get into this novel! How can I resist a new book on Antimony? Impossible! More than that, all her friends are there, Leonard too, and our heroine will finally have to deal with the consequences of her deal with the Crossroads.

Thinking that she could finally take a break, Antimony and her friends found themselves in Maine to take a break. But here it is, things are not going to go as planned and the Crossroads will
Karissa
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the eighth book in the InCryptid series and features Antimony Price again. I have mentioned I am not a huge fan of Antimony and that continues. However I am a huge fan of the Crossroads and this book deals with the Crossroads a lot. This was a solid addition to the series. It’s a fast-paced read with a great story, wonderful characters, lots of action, and some fun cryptozoology.

Annie and friends have finally found a place to rest. Cylia’s luck has led them to a rental house in New Grave
Marzie
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-net-galley
If you've been digging deeper and deeper into Seanan McGuire's InCryptid world, both with this series and her Rose Marshall/Ghostroads series, you've probably begun to have a lot of questions about the Crossroads, both as a place and an entity. Well, do we have a book for you. You may not have all your questions answered in this outing- you won't be getting Thomas Price back for Alice Healy-Price- but you're going to find some satisfying answers in this eighth book in the InCryptid world.

When we
Stacy
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave it 3.5 stars

I really miss the Aeslin Mice. Can we have them back yet?

One of the things I really enjoy about this series is how well developed the characters are. I feel like I really know them and look forward to seeing them come out ahead of their troubles. We meet a new character in THAT AIN'T WITCHCRAFT that I feel will now be a big part of Annie's life and I look forward to seeing what he will bring to the story in the future.

THAT AIN'T WITCHCRAFT is full of information on the cross
Darcy
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waverly
Annie deserves a bit of rest after her third novel in McGuire's InCryptid series. The backdrop for her previous books were the working side of entertainment spaces, a traveling carnival first then a major amusement part, but her small troop of friends face their challenges without much in the way of a supporting cast: it's just them, a twenty-something local loner, and a rented house in Maine. Annie can't hide from her open-ended promise to the crossroads made in a desperate moment to save her l ...more
Hisham El-far
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOW IS THIS SERIES SO BLOODY GOOD?
HOW IS THIS BOOK SO AMAZING?

After finishing It I have determined that Seanan McGuire made a deal with the Crossroads! It explains everything! Maybe...

I love all of the characters - well, except the bad guys, but even they have a teeny tiny part of my heart loving them - even as I urge Annie or Sam to finish them!

I need more InCryptid. So I'll probably just re-read the entire series (short fic included) over the next year we have to suffer through before the nex
Cheryl DeFranceschi
Team Seanan forever!

I interrupted my TOB Shortlist reading to fly through this. And even without Aeslin mice (all hail!), it was of course the right thing to do. No one makes my heart glow like she does. Because every one of her books that I’ve read ( which is many!)has been imbued to its core with the greatest feelings of inclusion that even the oddest of ducklings have found their perfect tribe. Le sigh. Big love. Team Seanan forever! This was my favorite InCryptid book yet!

Melindeeloo
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one a lot. Annie is in the lead and it's time to pay the piper when the Crossroads call in their marker. I like the addition to her family and I liked how she uses all of her resources to get the job done. Also fun, there's a short story for brother Alex included in the kindle version.
ilishaik
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moon, once a solitary wanderer, has become consort to Jade, sister queen of the Indigo Cloud court. Together, they travel with their people on a pair of flying ships in hopes of finding a new home for their colony. Moon finally feels like he's found a tribe where he belongs.
Kimberly
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of the series so far!
Stacy Koster
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The story was tight, and I liked the ending.
Jamie
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I am thoroughly enjoying this series, I can’t stand Sam as a love interest. I would have given this 4 stars, but he kind of ruined parts of the story for me.
Amanda
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How does this series keep getting better? Antimony might be my favorite Price, yet! Great additions to the family lore in this book and another fun adventure.
Lauren
Electronic ARC provided by NetGalley.

Something I've noticed about Seanan McGuire's longer series (mostly this one and the October books), is that she'll tend to have books that are more about setup and world building, and then books where the plot explodes in some amazing unexpected way. The setup books can lull you into a false sense of security, and also provide enough background that the ultimate twists and reveals hit you so much harder. "That Ain't Witchcraft" is one of those Seanan McGuire
Margaret Fisk
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

Annie (Antimony) is now officially my favorite Price of this generation and That Ain’t Witchcraft is officially my favorite of the series. Now you understand why I kept up the binge read, though it wasn’t why I started it and I wouldn’t have continued if the books showed the type of writing patterns that get too obvious. This is a five star book, something I use rarely, because it hit all my sweet spots. Please forgive me if this review has a little too
Keikii Eats Books
To read more reviews in this series and others, check out keikii eats books!

95 points, 5 STARS!

Antimony Price is still on the run from the Covenant, unable to go home lest she bring trouble with her. Good thing she has her friends, Cylia and Fern, as well as her boyfriend, Sam, to help her. When they finally find a place in Gravesend, Maine that Cylia assures them they'll be able to rest at for a while, they think it is perfect. Until Leonard Cunningham, next in line to rule the Covenant, shows
  • Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Circle of the Moon (Soulwood, #4)
  • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • Unholy Luck (Downside Ghosts, #6)
  • The Blacksmith (Iron Seas #5)
  • The Beyond (Devil's Isle, #4)
  • PERfunctory AfFECTION
  • Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World, #2)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Red Hot Rain (Weather Warden, #10)
  • Alien: Echo
  • Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)
  • Siren's Song (Dorina Basarab #4.6)
  • The Hidden Rune Of Iron (Spellcrackers.com #5)
  • The Cold Light of Day (Charlie Madigan, #5)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and

InCryptid (9 books)
  • Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Half-Off Ragnarok (InCryptid, #3)
  • Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid, #4)
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)
  • Magic for Nothing (InCryptid, #6)
  • Tricks for Free (InCryptid, #7)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)