Start by marking “Maiden” as Want to Read:
Maiden

Maiden

Despite a heated debate over Marta’s soul, Jayme betrays her to the priests. The consequences of his betrayal change Marta’s
Published October 13th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Maiden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maiden

Start your review of Maiden
Mellie Antoinette
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
***#earc thanks to #netgalley for a fair review***

Maiden is a story of two fairy tales crossing paths both physically & metaphysically. Jayme & Marta are childhood friends with different spiritual upbringings. After exposing Marta as a pagan to the local Brotherhood, all moral H-E-Double Hockey Sticks breaks loose leading our MCs to an enchanted cottage in the woods where they learn they are gifted with Lightwalker abilities. Ooh aah!

I have to say this book has a
Karen
An ARC was provided to me for free by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

There are many ways to start a novel that can hook a reader's attention. For me, starting it with a serious religious debate of how women are weak, impure, and likely to be damned by God isn't the best way. I think it's certainly possible to have a religious society in fantasy that looks down upon "pagan" rituals, but here it seems very divided amongst gendered lines, which just makes me angry.

I
Jypsy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Despite the lovely cover, Maiden was not what I expected it to be. The story just didn't make sense, and the characters were shallow. I couldn't get interested enough to keep reading. I skimmed through this one. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Arlene Mullen
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
So this starts of with Jayme and Marta. Jayme has been taken in by new priest that are in town. Marta wants to share with him, but he is blinded by what he is being taught. Then he makes a mistake that changes the course of both of their lives. They both embarke on a journey to find the light within themselves.

I liked both characters. I like how Jayme was written as a man who wasn't afraid of admitting his mistakes and following his heart. Marta was a strong woman. A little to much of second gu
United Indie Book Blog
Maiden has so much potential, I was so excited to read it from the synopsis and cover. But it just left me feeling so so and a little bored. I feel like the story was just bogged down by the complicated plot that went no where. HOWEVER, i did like Jayme & Marta and continued reading because of their characters. This story has potential.
**ARC PROVIDED FOR AN HONEST REVIEW**

Review by Raychel
Anca
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
*ARC received from NetGalley in return for an honest review*

I don't know....this has a really interesting start that grabbed my attention. I expected it to be fast paced, action packed steeped in folklore and magic. But it wasn't, and I am so disappointed. I am not criticizing the writing, it was good...but the story itself is lackluster.

Our story starts off with best friends Marta and Jayme choosing different paths in life. Jayme's is one of a devout believer and Marta is that of something si
Nicole
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this novel from net galley and the publisher. Thank you!
This novel was a good read. Discovering one's true destiny is a long and difficult path. However, both Marta and Jayme have their own destinies ahead of them. Marta and Jayme has been friends since they were children, and it has evolved into something more. Jayme has gotten involved with the priests, who have different views of women, believing they are not intelligent and only good for cooking, cleaning, and breeding. Beli
Arely
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it

This book is the journey of two people, Marta and Jayme, who have to learn to trust themselves and their instincts in order to help the world. Most of the adventure is in the beginning of the book, which is unusual, but fitting for this novel. It starts out with Jayme telling Marta that she shouldn’t be a part of “pagan rituals” because it was going to damn her soul to hell. She ignores him, as she should, and he tells the priests, or “black-coats,” as they’re called, so he can save her so
Amber [thespacejamber]
[I received a copy of this book free from the publisher and Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for my honest review.]

There's always been this inextricable link between autumn and Celtic folklore in my mind. The thought of faeries and guardians lurking about in misty, chilly forests is such a comforting visual for me. Of course, it was only fated that Maiden, Teresa A. Harrison's start to the Celtic folklore-inspired Lightwalker Series, fell into my lap at this time of year. This magic-in
Gemma McLaughlin
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Favourite Quote: "You must always be prepared for the unexpected. We seldom know where the path of our life will take us. From our place on the earth, we cannot see any farther than the next bend in the road."

Synopsis

Marta and Jayme have been friends for so long that they don't remember a time they weren't in each others lives. They know each others secrets, expressions and dreams, that is until a group of black-coated priests make themselves at home in their village and pull Jayme
Alex (Briennai)
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Marta believes in the old religion of her people, but her best friend Jayme has been converted by the new group of priests who have come into the area. He believes that the old ways were wrong and that his god will punish Marta if she doesn't change. Then he finds out that she is going to be participating in one of the old rituals, and he decides to tell his priest to break it up. He thinks that the priest is just going to warn the villagers not to do it again, but he has a bad feeling and decid ...more
Vi
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ll avoid spoilers as much as possible, so I’m going to keep it short. First of all, I’d like to thank Teresa, Acorn Publishing, and Xpresso Book Tours for giving me this copy in exchange for an honest review. This book will circulate around two main characters, Jaime and Marta as they discover their capabilities, trying to make sense of the future ready before them.
Now, I love fantasy books because of the world that they build up, the creatures that they hold, and the people that walk be
Cassie May
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on behalf of 3 Degrees of Fiction Blog
This book is the first book in a series and I recommend starting here to get all the information you can get about the characters and their companions. The second book is not published, yet, but you will want to read it. I promise.
The book starts innocent enough and escalates from there on in a quick way that still leaves enough time to get to know and connect with the characters and develop a world around the problems the two main characters
Sara G
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 out of 5 Stars

***ARC received through NetGalley for review, much appreciated***

This book has an interesting concept, the struggle between new and old beliefs, the place of women and their beliefs in a changing society.

Jayme and Marta start off on differing views regarding religion and beliefs. Jayme truly believes he is saving Marta's soul, but I did get the impression that he struggled with his new beliefs. He believes that the men he follows are righteous that they
A.R. Hellbender
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
This started off really awesome, with dark themes of people using religion for their own gain & as an excuse to persecute others, but maybe 1/4th in got into just fairy magic stuff that was presented in such a boring way & felt so convenient.
It’s still a good book, but my expectations from how good the beginning was continued throughout the book, and I kept hoping it would get as good as the beginning again.
Also, there’s this whole thing that gets mentioned several times abou
Stephanie Anne
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf-d
(received an ARC copy of Maiden from NetGalley – in exchange, this is my honest review)

2 out 5 stars

May include mild spoilers.

Maiden by Teresa A. Harrison had a lot of potential to be an interesting fantasy story with interweaving magical concepts that brought together Pagan magic and religion with the imposing worship of the New God to produce a well-rounded, interesting low-fantasy novel. But I feel like, in what I read, I did not get that. Despite the poten
Emma
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: r4r-and-arc, fantasy
I recieved a free copy of this book via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

For the first few chapters I had to push myself to keep reading. I found the religion a little much to begin with, not knowing where it was going it felt a little heavy handed before getting to know the characters well. But I did push on, and once I got to know the characters and started to care for them it made more sense and I found the religious parts quite interesting even if in my opinion they dra
George Lynn
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Maiden is a book of love, betrayal and magic if you are looking for a book to take you on a journey in a world of magic then this book is for you. A must read for all the magic lovers out there.

Marta and Jayme are old friends with different beliefs. Marta dreams of becoming a healer. Jayme has been schooled by the black-coats, a group of priests who claim women are inferior, and he fears Marta is jeopardizing her eternal future. Despite a heated debate over Marta’s soul, Jayme be
Anie
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Received from Xpresso Book Tours

Maiden is one of those books, that get better with every chapter. The start is a bit slow and I was having trouble staying in the story, however, after few chapters, it gets better and better. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of the writing style, I liked the storyline very much- it has all the ingredients of amazing fantasy series.

Marta and Jayme are childhood friends. They have very different beliefs, Jayme believes in everything that
Joanna Bennett
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was approved to read an advanced e-copy of Maiden by Teresa A. Harrison from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Here are my thoughts on the book:

The book follows two friends, Jayme and Marta, as they are pulled down two different paths and their friendship is strained. I did enjoy their friendship because it is relatable. Sometimes we think we are making the best choice for our friend when in the end it can hurt them. I wished there had been more of them interacting.
Jantine
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received a free copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

The basics of this book were good. The balance between fantasy and history was great, and it started with some good action.

There were some things that I did not like though. For starters, after the action at the start, there was not much left to happen. The plot fell apart faster than I could blink. Then there were Flyt and Flyk ... Why ... Did every sentence ... they said ... read like this ...? I understand th
Kirstian Semprevivo
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, arc
I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

This story was exactly what I have been looking for lately, but I did not even realize it. It was a breath a fresh air from what I normally read. An entrancing story about the personal growth and spiritual journey that two individuals (Marta and Jayme) go on. I love the aspects of magic brought into the story and how it plays a role in the story.

I do feel both characters still have a lot more growing to do.
Destiny Bridwell
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I am not sure about this. The deep religious debate in this novel and the part about women being inferior kind of pushed me off. I did not get a lot of the story. It did not make a lot of sense. The characters did not have a lot of dimension. Not sure if I will continue to read the series or not.
Hauntedbybooks
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I read the synopsis of this book and I instantly became intrigued. I really enjoyed the writing and world development. Also, the character development was great. Maiden was an interesting read with tons of twists and turns.
Jasmine
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon!
Chelsea
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
As you can see from the synopsis (which is literally the beginning of the book), we start strong. It was really interesting to see two different religious/spiritual things come in to play, and how it can change us as people and our relationships.

This went down hill very quickly for me and ended up skimming the rest of it after probably the first 30%. As interesting as I thought the beginning was, it was that boring for the rest of the story. Jayme tries to make things right, and the
Krista
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sadly, I was unable to finish this novel. While it started out with gusto, it fell off. The story began in such a way that I needed to know what happened next, but it quickly devolved into a novel that I felt like I had to read, instead of a novel that I wanted to read. I made it about halfway through before I felt like I had to give up. I appreciate being given the opportunity to read Maiden, and I wish that I had enjoyed it as much as I did at the beginning.

Final Thoughts
This
Cranky - The Book Curmudgeon
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Cranky Stars

Marta and Jayme are childhood friends and Marta follows the pagan beliefs, while Jayme has started down the road of Catholic beliefs. Marta tells Jayme of a gathering happening to celebrate Beltane.

Jayme feels the need to tell the priests this news, when he does, it sets off a series of events that lead both to realize who they really are, people of the Light. Jayme is a warrior of light and Marta is the leader of
J.D. DeHart
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful in its method, this book is a fine example of fantasy from a voice that is new to me — but one I will hopefully visit again in literature soon.
Joanna Bennett

Teresa (McPeek) Harrison grew up in Decatur, Illinois. After graduating from Eureka College in Eureka, IL, with a BA in Speech and Theatre, she moved to Granby, Massachusetts where she married and started a family and was actively involved with the local community theatres for several years.

When her son was young, she helped start a Community Playground project. Over the years, she was a Girl Sco