Start by marking “The Songs of You and Me” as Want to Read:
The Songs of You and Me

The Songs of You and Me

(The Songs #1)

A SECOND CHANCE AT FIRST LOVE.
Jane Hartford fell head over heels for Jackson at the tender age of fifteen. She spent most of high school pining for him, until she realized he wasn't going to see her as anything more than his baby sister's best friend. Now she finds herself single with a daughter, a broken heart, and songs that remind her of a long lost love.

Jackson Wright
Published July 16th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Songs of You and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Songs of You and Me

Start your review of The Songs of You and Me
Katie W
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(4.5 Stars) A debut author can be hit or miss for me and let me just say, I didn't want to put this one down--I couldn't read it fast enough. I loved the way the story gradually unfolded for the reader. The book jumps back and forth between Jackson's and Jane's points-of-view and I loved getting a glimpse into their heads and see their thoughts and feelings from back then and from now, as each chapter alternates between past and present. The flashbacks filled in the story in a very satisfying wa ...more
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, kindle, reviewed
This is a lovely second chance romance story. Jane and Jackson have so much chemistry, and the anticipation of their romance through their rekindled friendship and flashbacks to high school was well-worth the wait. I loved how comfortable they are with each other as friends, and yet not, because there is strong attraction simmering just beneath the surface. I loved that I didn't have to wait for the very end of the book for them to get together and there was plenty of time to enjoy their new dyn ...more
Taylor Dean
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A tender debut novel that will leave you remembering the sweet angst of first love. The Songs of You and Me is a charmer.

I had the pleasure of beta reading for first time author, Mylissa Demeyere, from the very beginning. I greatly enjoyed the story of Jane and Jackson. I loved seeing how the story evolved to what it is today. Great job, Mylissa! You worked so hard and now everyone can enjoy the fruits of your labor. I'm really looking forward to Book two, Ainsley's story.
Kelly
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
At the beginning of each chapter is a song title as well. If you have an ebook and click on it, it will open the song on spotify! At the end of the book, the author explains why the song is relevant to the chapter! Kind of cool!

This book stuck with me for a while after I read it. The story goes deep and reflects lots of emotions that also runs deep. When you have loved someone once, and then found another love. The loss of it, I would imagine it hard to move on. But I wanted Jackson and Jane to
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Wow! Debut author Mylissa Demeyere has woven a fantastic second chance at first love story here. As a reader, it's sometimes a bit scary to pick up a brand new author because you just cannot be sure what you are going to get. But this book? It makes me so happy because now I have another new author to support. :)

I loved the flashback memories that helped me connect with both Jane and Jackson. It gave me history and insight into the depth of their friendship and the dynamics that were coming into
Julie Carpenter
4.5*

I love second chance stories! Love them!!! And this one? The back and forth between the two main characters was perfect! We had present day point of view from both Jane and Jackson and then there was flashback point of view from both of them! I adore books where we can see the thoughts and feelings of both of the characters!

Let me warn you though, you might shed some tears or feel a lot of emotional tugging on the heartstrings with this one. Ugh! I really could feel the charge of emotions, t
Charissa
In this romantic debut about first love-second chances, Ms. DeMeyere weaves the past and present together in a way that brings the characters' hearts to life as they heal from tragedies and struggle to move on in life and find happiness again. Jane and Jackson were friends in high school, with the possibility of so much more. But Jackson never acted on his feelings, leaving Jane confused and broken-hearted. Life swept them both down separate paths until years later, their currents connect once m ...more
Lynda Dickson
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 16+
Following her husband’s death, Jane returns to her home town to teach English at the local high school, prompted by her best friend Sarah, who is the vice-principal. Sarah’s brother Jackson has also just moved back to town to work on a building project at the school. Jane and Jackson have history, but the timing has never been quite right. Will these two get their second chance at love?

The story moves between the present day and the past (in italics) and is told from the points-of-view of Jane a
DelSheree
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't get a lot of time to read anymore, but this book kept me up two nights in a row because I couldn't get enough of the characters. I loved the sweet story and enjoyed the past and present timelines that gave so much insight into the characters. There are some darker elements when it comes to the backstories, but it doesn't overwhelm the story. Overall, it's a lovely story of love and second chances and I enjoyed it and can't wait to see more from this author.
Dagmar
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even though contemporary romance is not my genre I really enjoyed reading this book. The characters are very interesting and there’s a few unexpected turns in the story.
I love they way the book keeps switching between the male POV and the female POV. I could really get into their minds. This book got me feeling all emotional on several occasions.
I loved it!
Aubrey
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun and enticing love story that combines the bitter with the sweet and keeps you laughing amidst the tears. You won't want to miss this touching story that explores true love in all its depth and beauty.

Mylissa Demeyere is a phenomenal writer! Reading The Songs of You and Me makes it hard to believe that this is her first book. I fell in love with the characters and got sucked into the story- I literally couldn't put it down! Each character has their own strong personality which is so lovingl
Bauters Inge
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a warm love story. I felt involved and joined with the feelings of Jane and Jackson.
Occasionally it brought back heart warming memories of my own true love.
I also had empathy for both characters becouse of how it was written and that gives it an extra dimension.
I am so proud of the author, a first book and a BIG winner for me !
Thank you for sharing your talent, looking forward to the next one ❤️

Inge Bauters - Symynck.
Sheila
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Songs of You and Me was a wonderful read. The story of Jane and Jackson is told from both of the main character's perspective. There is also a jump from present day in one chapter to sometime in the past in the next, alternating like this throughout the whole book. Personally I felt these jumps were done well and not too jarring.

Jane and Jackson are characters I liked from the start, even though I wish they would have spoken up about their feelings way back in high school. With the three ye
Donald Davis
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heart-rending and heart-warning

I really liked this story. Jane and Jackson are two broken people who find their way back to each other after years being friends, longing for each other, living life, and facing heartache. Their journey toward healing and finding peace with each other is uplifting.

I liked that the book was written from both Jane's and Jackson's perspectives. I liked that we got to see both the present day story and some of their history together, which I thought helped me underst
Suzie Waltner
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When my nose isn’t buried in a book, I am listening to music. And much like each reader of a story, each hearer of a song can take something different away from the words and music.

In her debut, Mylissa Demeyere uses songs to tell the story of two people. Jane and Jackson let opportunities pass them by in their youth. Their timing never clicked for anything more than friendship. Now, fifteen years later, they meet again.

The Songs of You and Me is one hundred percent romance—from first crush to s
Alexander Scholtz
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I decided to take this novel with me on my travel to NZ and I am happy I did.

The story of Jane and Jackson unfolds by going back and forth between the present and the past. This narrative got me instantly immersed in the story. The author reveals Jane and Jacksons’ love history in a way that the reader gets a good sense of who the characters are and why they act the way they do. They felt real to me as if they were real people.

The multiple story perspective which the author used, contributed to
Winnie
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mylissa Demeyere’s debut novel is a captivating story that is sure to set your heart aflutter. With realistic and endearing characters that come alive on the page, a gripping story line, and powerful themes of overcoming fear, forgiveness, and the power of love, this story captured my attention and wouldn’t let go until the last page.

I enjoyed seeing the songs that Demeyere chose to go with the chapters. It was a fun addition to the book. I also liked the way she wove the past history of Jackso
Jennifer Bodnar
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I was passed this book to read this week. I thought it was going to be just okay as a debt novel, I was wrong. It was really really good. The way the Mylissa Demeyere jumped past to present without making it feel like it was jumbled up mess, Or like it wasn't giving you enough or it was giving you too much.

There was something really sweet about being able to come back to your first love after a tragedy. I liked that Jane was real. She had a dead husband and she was struggling to come to te
Emily F
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful new discovery

Thoroughly enjoyed this sweet romance. The flashbacks were done tastefully and worked to move the story ahead and give context. It wss so fun to see the song that represented each chapter. The alternating view points were also done well and the storyline flowed smoothly. Emma (little girl) was adorable and won my heart very early on. I could empathize with the characters and they were very relatable. The romance was sweet and clean, I'd rate it PG. I thoroughly enjoyed th
Bookconfessions
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mylissa Demeyere did a beautiful job of handling the immersion of a first love story with a second chance love story. She handled the grief, the guilt, and the chemistry expertly.

I loved that she had a playlist for the book, the chapter songs gave the story an added depth. As did the bouncing back and forth in time. Not only did it flush out the story, but also the characters. We were given additional understanding and subsequently became more invested in the dynamics of where the story was goin
Donna May
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a great novel. I loved the way the author weaved you into her story. It was not just full of love, but full of difficult choices and loss. That is what makes it so real.

Everyone deserves a second chance at love, especially when you have lost someone. Whether you lose someone by divorce, by choice, or by death, it is still really difficult to open your heart again and let someone in. You have to get over the hurt and allow yourself to be happy again.

There are two sides to every story,
Marci
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
I don’t normally enjoy books that go back and forth from one time period to another or from one person to another. This time however it worked so well. A few times I got confused because I didn’t pay attention to the time period or person who we were reading about.

The book was fairly predictable, but it was exactly the easy read that I needed this weekend. The characters were fun and easy to love!
Linda Freeman
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Great story line and I cared about the characters immediately. The back stories helped flesh out their pasts and made the present more believable. The H was amazing! His patience and caring touched my heart. His love for Emma was evident. The h was conflicted but worked through her insecurities and fear of future losses to open herself to love.

It was impressive that this is a young author and yet her writing is so complete. Very few editing needs. Highly recommended.
Paula Bothwell
The Songs of You and Me - PG13
Violence: none
Language: around 20
Sex: no sex, some descriptive kissing

Last 5 percent was a new book.
this book was delicious! I adore detail, especially in a romance novel, and I love how we saw everything both through the heroine's and Hero's eyes. It made the lows So Low and the HEA that much more lovely. Good book!
Jamie Demeyere
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story of Jackson and Jane pulled me in from page one. I stayed up night after night as they came to life and I felt as if I was part of their story. Their obstacles were relatable and tugged at my heart. I couldn't wait to finish and yet I didn't want the story to end. What an amazing start for Mylissa Demeyere, I can't wait to see what comes next.
Brienna
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved reading this book. I finished it in less than a day. It was entertaining, and I fell in love with the characters. I loved the strong family relationships, and the whole story was just very uplifting. It was so refreshing to read such a clean, sweet romance. I can't wait to read the next book.
Cheri
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, swoon-worthy
This book pulled me in from the first page. A debut novel that was very well written. Told from present day to years in the past, I loved this! Jane's story is tender and bittersweet. Sarah and Jane are best friends and Sarah's brother Jackson is hot, need I say more? I can't wait for the next book in the series.
Teri Griffis
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic debut novel and I'm looking forward to many more books coming from Mylissa Demeyere! Very well written, entertaining, characters that are believable and that you will fall in love with. Enjoy!
Kathy
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I loved this book! It was well written and I loved the characters. I loved the way the author switched the points of view from Jane to Jackson. I loved the way the author switched from present day to the past so that we learned all the back story, sometimes again from different points of view. This is my first book by this author and I will be looking for more of her books in the future.
Heather
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed how this book was written. The flash backs and connections to songs spoke to me. I liked how the characters struggles were real but not over done. A very sweet romance story.

• Finding Us (Pine Valley #5)
  • Kit and Elizabeth
  • My Sister's Intended (Serendipity #1)
  • A Man Worth Shaving For
  • Swooning over the Football Billionaire Groom (Sweet, Christian Football Bad Boy Romance Series Book 1)
  • Falling for Her Foe
  • Miss Devon's Choice (Branches of Love #5)
  • Distracting the Billionaire (The Billionaire's Reluctant Bride, Book 4)
  • The Undercover Bridesmaid
  • The Gentle Patriot (Quinn Family #3)
  • Fall from Trace (London League #5)
  • The Dear Wife (More Than a Wife #3)
  • My Brother's Bride (Serendipity Book 2)
  • Gambling on a Gentleman: A Sweet Romantic Comedy (ABCs of Love)
  • Apple Die (Apple Orchard Cozy #1)
  • Lies, Love, and Breakfast at Tiffany's
  • Blind Date with a Billionaire Professor (Blind Date Disasters, #2)
  • Rescuing Lord Inglewood (Inglewood #1)
Mylissa Demeyere was born in Belgium, and resides in the beautiful city of Ghent. She lives in a somewhat organized home with her four beautiful children and the love of her life. If she isn't working, she's writing, running, reading, or enjoying time with her kids, who are growing up way too fast.
The Songs of You and Me is her debut novel, with a sequel already in the works.

Connect with Mylissa

The Songs (2 books)
  • The Songs That Brought Me Back (The Songs #2)