Jump to ratings and reviews

The Songs #1

The Songs of You and Me

A SECOND CHANCE AT FIRST LOVE.
Jane Hartford fell head over heels for Jackson at the tender age of fifteen. She spent most of high school pining for him, until she realized he wasn't going to see her as anything more than his baby sister's best friend. Now she finds herself single with a daughter, a broken heart, and songs that remind her of a long lost love.

Jackson Wright is a man living with regret. His biggest one, never acting on his feelings for Jane. When he returns to Bellebrook, the town they grew up in, he literally runs into her and his world gets tossed upside down and sideways.

This time, Jackson isn't willing to give up. With a meddling sister eager to push both of them together, he believes things might actually work out. That is, if they can overcome the heavy baggage they both carry. Follow Jackson and Jane as they revisit their past, figuring out what went wrong so long ago.

Will they learn they have the power to make things right in the present?

312 pages, Kindle Edition

Published July 16, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mylissa Demeyere

8 books336 followers
Mylissa Demeyere was born in Belgium, and resides in the beautiful city of Ghent. She lives in a somewhat organized home with her four beautiful children and the love of her life. If she isn't working, she's writing, running, reading, or enjoying time with her kids, who are growing up way too fast.
The Songs of You and Me is her debut novel, with a sequel already in the works.

Connect with Mylissa Demeyere online:

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
8 (6%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 54 reviews
Profile Image for Katie (Hiding in the Pages).
2,921 reviews219 followers
July 23, 2018
(4.5 Stars) A debut author can be hit or miss for me and let me just say, I didn't want to put this one down--I couldn't read it fast enough. I loved the way the story gradually unfolded for the reader. The book jumps back and forth between Jackson's and Jane's points-of-view and I loved getting a glimpse into their heads and see their thoughts and feelings from back then and from now, as each chapter alternates between past and present. The flashbacks filled in the story in a very satisfying way that helped me know the characters and the reasons for their behaviors on a deeper level. I also loved the way the songs that titled each chapter fit so well with what was happening.

Jackson and Jane are such likable characters and their story is warm, sweet, swoony, and slightly angsty, but definitely one that resonated with me, causing me to think about it long after I finished. There is so much tangible emotion involved in this story. It takes talent to engage a reader, give the characters a second chance, and talk about hard subjects without the book being a downer. I'm already looking forward to Book 2!

Content: mild+ swoony romance; mild language

*I received a complimentary copy. All opinions are my own and were voluntarily given.*
Profile Image for Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...).
1,499 reviews439 followers
July 31, 2018
This is a lovely second chance romance story. Jane and Jackson have so much chemistry, and the anticipation of their romance through their rekindled friendship and flashbacks to high school was well-worth the wait. I loved how comfortable they are with each other as friends, and yet not, because there is strong attraction simmering just beneath the surface. I loved that I didn't have to wait for the very end of the book for them to get together and there was plenty of time to enjoy their new dynamic and see them work through more complicated issues. Jackson's sister and Jane's best friend Sarah plays a big role in their lives by supporting them through their hardest times and also encouraging and "pushing" them to move on from living in the past and embracing their future. There are strong themes of regrets, grief, and courage which give the characters and story depth. A couple of the plot devices used to bring conflict were cliché, but thankfully not dwelt on overlong. I appreciated the focus on Jane and Jackson's strength together and the way they brought out the best in each other, and Jane's sweet daughter Emma. A great debut novel with a sneak peek for the next book in the series!

(I received a complimentary copy of the book; all opinions in this review are my own)
Profile Image for Taylor Dean.
Author 19 books713 followers
September 20, 2019
A tender debut novel that will leave you remembering the sweet angst of first love. The Songs of You and Me is a charmer.

I had the pleasure of beta reading for first time author, Mylissa Demeyere, from the very beginning. I greatly enjoyed the story of Jane and Jackson. I loved seeing how the story evolved to what it is today. Great job, Mylissa! You worked so hard and now everyone can enjoy the fruits of your labor. I'm really looking forward to Book two, Ainsley's story.
Profile Image for Kelly.
712 reviews51 followers
August 23, 2018
At the beginning of each chapter is a song title as well. If you have an ebook and click on it, it will open the song on spotify! At the end of the book, the author explains why the song is relevant to the chapter! Kind of cool!

This book stuck with me for a while after I read it. The story goes deep and reflects lots of emotions that also runs deep. When you have loved someone once, and then found another love. The loss of it, I would imagine it hard to move on. But I wanted Jackson and Jane to be a family. Their process of being a couple was painful and took a lot of patience and time. Time for both to heal and move on. More so for Jane than Jackson.
Profile Image for Aimee (Getting Your Read On).
2,967 reviews243 followers
August 9, 2018
Wow! Debut author Mylissa Demeyere has woven a fantastic second chance at first love story here. As a reader, it's sometimes a bit scary to pick up a brand new author because you just cannot be sure what you are going to get. But this book? It makes me so happy because now I have another new author to support. :)

I loved the flashback memories that helped me connect with both Jane and Jackson. It gave me history and insight into the depth of their friendship and the dynamics that were coming into play. Their friendship is still there, but that crackling chemistry was so hard to ignore. Watching them navigate their re-connection was yummy. Jackson's determination and patience was so attractive. I also loved the dual perspectives from both Jane and Jackson. I pushed through this book so quickly and it was hard to put it down.

I'm so excited to see what comes next from this author! I sure hope it comes soon. :)

Content: mention of death, infidelity

- I received a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Julie Carpenter.
1,388 reviews161 followers
September 16, 2018
4.5*

I love second chance stories! Love them!!! And this one? The back and forth between the two main characters was perfect! We had present day point of view from both Jane and Jackson and then there was flashback point of view from both of them! I adore books where we can see the thoughts and feelings of both of the characters!

Let me warn you though, you might shed some tears or feel a lot of emotional tugging on the heartstrings with this one. Ugh! I really could feel the charge of emotions, the feelings of loss and sorrow, the feelings of hope for a second chance and the hope for peace and love.

I loved Sarah! Stories with awesome best friends are also up there on my list of favorite type of stories. Who doesn't want their very own best friend to cry on their shoulder? To laugh with? To know they'll be there for you anytime, anywhere? And to know that they're going to do all they can to help you? Sarah was that awesome best friend. I adored her and Jane's friendship and how the author really developed and showed all the aspects of their friendship from childhood into the harder moments of life. Yeah, she's my kind of BFF! She reminds me a lot of my BFF! (Yes, I may be an older adult but I still have me a BFF and she's Amazing!!!!!!)

Jane is trying to navigate life, especially a life that has thrown her some unexpected challenges. When who should she bump into? None other than Jackson! Sarah's brother. And my, oh my, do the sparks FLY! Seriously you all, this was a debut novel and it didn't feel like it! The emotions, the character development, the friendships, the love. Yeah, it was all well written and very enjoyable for me to read.

I really had fun with the songs that the author put at the beginning of each chapter. There were several I'd never heard of. They were matched really well with each chapter. I had fun pulling up each song and listening to them before reading the chapter. Some of the songs I didn't necessarily care for but others were some that I really enjoyed. At the end of the book, the author explains how that song matches that chapter.

I loved the ending, but I really loved the moment when these two decided to try and see if they could finally have their chance to be together. Sweet story. And there's a book two coming out. When I saw what character it was going to be about, I kind of was a little bummed...but then I read the sneak peek at the end of the book and was definitely not as bummer but intrigued. So we'll see what I think when it comes out.

Content: Clean. There is a sensitive (trigger) issue in the book. The issue isn't necessarily a focal point and is used to build some of the tension. If you want to know, I'm going to put it in a spoiler tag. But if you don't want to know I will say that it was clean and not written in a graphic way. There is a death as well. The characters kiss but there is no explicit sexual content. There are some mild innuendos and some mild language.

I received a copy from ebooks. All thoughts and opinions in the review are my own.

Happy Reading!!!
Profile Image for Charissa.
Author 13 books72 followers
June 13, 2018
In this romantic debut about first love-second chances, Ms. DeMeyere weaves the past and present together in a way that brings the characters' hearts to life as they heal from tragedies and struggle to move on in life and find happiness again. Jane and Jackson were friends in high school, with the possibility of so much more. But Jackson never acted on his feelings, leaving Jane confused and broken-hearted. Life swept them both down separate paths until years later, their currents connect once more. This is where the book begins, although it weaves the past back into it chapter by chapter. I beta-read this book for the author through a couple revisions and loved seeing the story begin to shine. Will Jackson learn from the mistakes in his past and grab hold of love this time around…and will Jane even let him if he does? A sweet and heartwarming contemporary romance.
Profile Image for Lynda Dickson.
581 reviews57 followers
April 10, 2019
Following her husband’s death, Jane returns to her home town to teach English at the local high school, prompted by her best friend Sarah, who is the vice-principal. Sarah’s brother Jackson has also just moved back to town to work on a building project at the school. Jane and Jackson have history, but the timing has never been quite right. Will these two get their second chance at love?

The story moves between the present day and the past (in italics) and is told from the points-of-view of Jane and Jackson (with one bit from Sarah’s POV). The writing is a bit plain and sometimes repetitive, with a few overused phrases, but the story is cute and the characters are likable.

In her “Word to the Reader” at the beginning of the book, the author states, “The whole idea for this book started out as a scene after listening to a song. Then I would listen to that song over and over and see more of the pieces fall into place. Soon, I had an entire playlist, with scenes mapped out, and a whole story ready to write.” I love that the chapter titles are hyperlinked to the songs on Spotify. However, I found it easier to make my own Spotify playlist. (The author has since made one herself - see below.) Because the book is set in two distinct times, the playlist would make more sense if the featured songs were from both eras (or, in the case of the flashbacks, at least songs that existed at the time).

There are a few editing issues: incorrect paragraphing in the dialogue; some awkward sentences; the Chapter 26 song link doesn’t work; Chapter 28 is in Sarah’s point of view, which is unnecessary and doesn’t fit in with the rest of the book; the Chapter 33 song link doesn’t link to the correct song. It also seems to take an unnecessarily long time to find out how Jane’s husband David died.

These issues aside, this is an entertaining story that will have you rooting for two people who have each lost someone they love. Jackson’s ex-wife Ainsley features in the second book in this series.

Warnings: mild sexual references.

Full blog post (11 April): https://www.booksdirectonline.com/201...
Profile Image for DelSheree.
Author 52 books456 followers
August 28, 2018
I don't get a lot of time to read anymore, but this book kept me up two nights in a row because I couldn't get enough of the characters. I loved the sweet story and enjoyed the past and present timelines that gave so much insight into the characters. There are some darker elements when it comes to the backstories, but it doesn't overwhelm the story. Overall, it's a lovely story of love and second chances and I enjoyed it and can't wait to see more from this author.
4 reviews
June 12, 2018
Even though contemporary romance is not my genre I really enjoyed reading this book. The characters are very interesting and there’s a few unexpected turns in the story.
I love they way the book keeps switching between the male POV and the female POV. I could really get into their minds. This book got me feeling all emotional on several occasions.
I loved it!
Profile Image for Aubrey.
2 reviews
June 29, 2018
A fun and enticing love story that combines the bitter with the sweet and keeps you laughing amidst the tears. You won't want to miss this touching story that explores true love in all its depth and beauty.

Mylissa Demeyere is a phenomenal writer! Reading The Songs of You and Me makes it hard to believe that this is her first book. I fell in love with the characters and got sucked into the story- I literally couldn't put it down! Each character has their own strong personality which is so lovingly portrayed that I felt like I knew them. The plot focuses on being delightfully romantic while simultaneously addressing the intense emotions that come with real-life problems. The Songs of You and Me is a beautiful tribute to healing, friendship, second chances, and especially love - in all relationships. I walked away from this book happy and wanting more. I can't wait to see the stories that await these characters in the future and what great work Mylissa will produce next!

If you are looking for an uplifting and completely captivating romance to carry you away then you have found it in The Songs of You and Me!
2 reviews
June 12, 2018
This book is a warm love story. I felt involved and joined with the feelings of Jane and Jackson.
Occasionally it brought back heart warming memories of my own true love.
I also had empathy for both characters becouse of how it was written and that gives it an extra dimension.
I am so proud of the author, a first book and a BIG winner for me !
Thank you for sharing your talent, looking forward to the next one ❤️

Inge Bauters - Symynck.
Profile Image for Sheila.
1,121 reviews35 followers
August 4, 2018
The Songs of You and Me was a wonderful read. The story of Jane and Jackson is told from both of the main character's perspective. There is also a jump from present day in one chapter to sometime in the past in the next, alternating like this throughout the whole book. Personally I felt these jumps were done well and not too jarring.

Jane and Jackson are characters I liked from the start, even though I wish they would have spoken up about their feelings way back in high school. With the three year age difference you can understand why Jackson held off in the early years. When they meet up in present time, both characters have experienced great heartache that makes them falter a bit in jumping into their old relationship. I also loved how cute Jackson was with Jane's daughter Emma. The story flows so well that you want to keep reading. This is such an emotional journey for both Jane and Jackson. You could feel every up and down emotion that they felt. I was so impressed with this new author. I can guarantee that I will be reading anything else she writes. I was happy with the ending of the story and I hated that it was the end. When I get that attached to characters I know that the novel is a winner.

This is another book I'm recommending for your Summer Reading. It's truly earned it place to be read far and wide with it's captivating story and characters.
P.S. I also loved the playlist with songs to listen to as you read each chapter!

****Come follow me & my reviews at:

Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/WhyNotBecaus... *****
Profile Image for Suzie Waltner.
Author 7 books110 followers
August 2, 2018
When my nose isn’t buried in a book, I am listening to music. And much like each reader of a story, each hearer of a song can take something different away from the words and music.

In her debut, Mylissa Demeyere uses songs to tell the story of two people. Jane and Jackson let opportunities pass them by in their youth. Their timing never clicked for anything more than friendship. Now, fifteen years later, they meet again.

The Songs of You and Me is one hundred percent romance—from first crush to something more—and has so many of the elements of what I personally love to read. Second chance at first love? Check! Friends to more? Check! A matchmaking friend? Yep! And there’s even a cute kid thrown in the mix.

As Demeyere peppers the past in with the present, readers are given the best kind of peek into the history between Jackson and Jane. The longing, the doubt, the pain, the shattered hope.

I was so drawn into Jane and Jackson’s story, I flew through this book, rooting for these two characters to find what they’d missed the first time around. The Songs of You and Me is the playlist of the journey they take to their happily ever after—a journey that shouldn’t be missed.

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors, including NetGalley. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.
Profile Image for Alexander Scholtz.
9 reviews15 followers
September 17, 2018
I decided to take this novel with me on my travel to NZ and I am happy I did.

The story of Jane and Jackson unfolds by going back and forth between the present and the past. This narrative got me instantly immersed in the story. The author reveals Jane and Jacksons’ love history in a way that the reader gets a good sense of who the characters are and why they act the way they do. They felt real to me as if they were real people.

The multiple story perspective which the author used, contributed to the depth and the dynamic of the story. I enjoyed this perspective especially in the moments when Jane and Jackson were together as it gave rise to a whole new dimension of emotion, which could be intense.

I was swept away on many levels by Mylissa’s story. The Songs of You and Me is an original piece of writing. I loved how each chapter refers to a song that fits with its mood.

I think Mylissa did a great job on writing her first novel. I definetly recommend it.

764 reviews1 follower
December 7, 2018
Mylissa Demeyere’s debut novel is a captivating story that is sure to set your heart aflutter. With realistic and endearing characters that come alive on the page, a gripping story line, and powerful themes of overcoming fear, forgiveness, and the power of love, this story captured my attention and wouldn’t let go until the last page.

I enjoyed seeing the songs that Demeyere chose to go with the chapters. It was a fun addition to the book. I also liked the way she wove the past history of Jackson and Jane in with the present during the story, as it added an extra dimension to see how their relationship developed.

I will be looking for future books by this author. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy clean, wholesome stories.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Jennifer Bodnar.
156 reviews8 followers
July 21, 2018
When I was passed this book to read this week. I thought it was going to be just okay as a debt novel, I was wrong. It was really really good. The way the Mylissa Demeyere jumped past to present without making it feel like it was jumbled up mess, Or like it wasn't giving you enough or it was giving you too much.

There was something really sweet about being able to come back to your first love after a tragedy. I liked that Jane was real. She had a dead husband and she was struggling to come to terms with everything. I liked that Jackson was always there never pushing her too hard. Everything about this was sweet and if I can find this book in paperback I will be adding it to my collection.

I will for sure be reading more from this author.
652 reviews11 followers
July 26, 2018
Beautiful new discovery

Thoroughly enjoyed this sweet romance. The flashbacks were done tastefully and worked to move the story ahead and give context. It wss so fun to see the song that represented each chapter. The alternating view points were also done well and the storyline flowed smoothly. Emma (little girl) was adorable and won my heart very early on. I could empathize with the characters and they were very relatable. The romance was sweet and clean, I'd rate it PG. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will definitely be on the lookout for more books from this author, especially Ainsley's story!
Profile Image for Our Book Confessions.
489 reviews9 followers
August 7, 2018
Mylissa Demeyere did a beautiful job of handling the immersion of a first love story with a second chance love story. She handled the grief, the guilt, and the chemistry expertly.

I loved that she had a playlist for the book, the chapter songs gave the story an added depth. As did the bouncing back and forth in time. Not only did it flush out the story, but also the characters. We were given additional understanding and subsequently became more invested in the dynamics of where the story was going.

She did what a romance writer is suppose to do, teach you about life and love and your place in both.

207 reviews
September 7, 2018
This was a great novel. I loved the way the author weaved you into her story. It was not just full of love, but full of difficult choices and loss. That is what makes it so real.

Everyone deserves a second chance at love, especially when you have lost someone. Whether you lose someone by divorce, by choice, or by death, it is still really difficult to open your heart again and let someone in. You have to get over the hurt and allow yourself to be happy again.

There are two sides to every story, and I am so happy the author is giving a voice to the other side. Can’t wait to read it!
July 1, 2018
This story of Jackson and Jane pulled me in from page one. I stayed up night after night as they came to life and I felt as if I was part of their story. Their obstacles were relatable and tugged at my heart. I couldn't wait to finish and yet I didn't want the story to end. What an amazing start for Mylissa Demeyere, I can't wait to see what comes next.
Profile Image for Marci.
117 reviews
July 16, 2018
I don’t normally enjoy books that go back and forth from one time period to another or from one person to another. This time however it worked so well. A few times I got confused because I didn’t pay attention to the time period or person who we were reading about.

The book was fairly predictable, but it was exactly the easy read that I needed this weekend. The characters were fun and easy to love!
Profile Image for Cheri.
1,735 reviews55 followers
August 25, 2018
This book pulled me in from the first page. A debut novel that was very well written. Told from present day to years in the past, I loved this! Jane's story is tender and bittersweet. Sarah and Jane are best friends and Sarah's brother Jackson is hot, need I say more? I can't wait for the next book in the series.
Profile Image for Paula Bothwell.
1,379 reviews25 followers
November 15, 2018
The Songs of You and Me - PG13
Violence: none
Language: around 20
Sex: no sex, some descriptive kissing

Last 5 percent was a new book.
this book was delicious! I adore detail, especially in a romance novel, and I love how we saw everything both through the heroine's and Hero's eyes. It made the lows So Low and the HEA that much more lovely. Good book!
Profile Image for Brienna.
66 reviews1 follower
December 26, 2018
I absolutely loved reading this book. I finished it in less than a day. It was entertaining, and I fell in love with the characters. I loved the strong family relationships, and the whole story was just very uplifting. It was so refreshing to read such a clean, sweet romance. I can't wait to read the next book.
Profile Image for Linda.
877 reviews19 followers
February 4, 2020
Wow. Great story line and I cared about the characters immediately. The back stories helped flesh out their pasts and made the present more believable. The H was amazing! His patience and caring touched my heart. His love for Emma was evident. The h was conflicted but worked through her insecurities and fear of future losses to open herself to love.

It was impressive that this is a young author and yet her writing is so complete. Very few editing needs. Highly recommended.
Profile Image for Teri Griffis.
1,000 reviews6 followers
August 9, 2018
This is a fantastic debut novel and I'm looking forward to many more books coming from Mylissa Demeyere! Very well written, entertaining, characters that are believable and that you will fall in love with. Enjoy!
Profile Image for Kathy.
1,693 reviews8 followers
July 30, 2018
I loved this book! It was well written and I loved the characters. I loved the way the author switched the points of view from Jane to Jackson. I loved the way the author switched from present day to the past so that we learned all the back story, sometimes again from different points of view. This is my first book by this author and I will be looking for more of her books in the future.
214 reviews2 followers
January 7, 2020
I really enjoyed how this book was written. The flash backs and connections to songs spoke to me. I liked how the characters struggles were real but not over done. A very sweet romance story.
1 review1 follower
August 8, 2018
Great story of second chance love. I had a hard time putting this one down, finishing it in about one day.
The writing was great and the story drew me in. The playlist was a unique characteristic, something I’ve not seen done before. This book had me so hooked, I was in a book funck after finishing the last page. A MUST read.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 54 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.