Start by marking “Harley Merlin and the Secret Coven (Harley Merlin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Harley Merlin and the Secret Coven (Harley Merlin, #1)

Harley Merlin and the Secret Coven

(Harley Merlin #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  25,067 ratings  ·  1,806 reviews
When a rogue 19-year-old witch is recruited to help guard an ancient magical Bestiary, a breath-stealing journey begins...
Being an empath has its advantages.

Harley Merlin can sense people’s emotions, among other things. It’s how she snagged her first job pinpointing cheaters at a casino.

But she has no clue where she got these freakish powers because she spent her child
Published August 27th 2018 by Nightlight Press

To ask other readers questions about Harley Merlin and the Secret Coven, please sign up.
Barbara There are two possibilities. One is that it took a few years to find a publisher and she kept on writing despite rejections. The other is that she isn…moreThere are two possibilities. One is that it took a few years to find a publisher and she kept on writing despite rejections. The other is that she isn't that picky about plots or her writing. For instance, nobody ever grins; a grin slits their face. The main character is always chuckling when there is nothing humorous being said or done. (less)

·  25,067 ratings  ·  1,806 reviews

Start your review of Harley Merlin and the Secret Coven (Harley Merlin, #1)
Mike
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Started out well, and I thought it was going to be both well-edited and fairly original. Sadly, in the end it was neither. Enjoyable enough, but not quite worthy of four stars (I did originally err on the side of generosity, but decided on reflection to give it three).

Firstly, it's based much too closely on Harry Potter, up to and including points for an end-of-year prize and childish bickering (if anything, the HP kids are more mature than these characters - "mature YA" in the blurb apparently
Emilia
Feb 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
That's a couple of hours I'm never getting back. Started out nicely but went downhill faster than a rollercoaster ride. DNF and won't bother. "The next Harry Potter" my arse. Thank u, next.
Montzalee Wittmann
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Harley Merlin and the Secret Coven
By: Bella Forrest
Narrated by: Amanda Ronconi
Terrific read about magic, coven for mystics, creatures, a mystery, touch of romance, action, good characters and plot, and what makes a family. An orphan has some powers and is noticed by a warlock. Invited to a coven and given a month to decide to stay or not. This story takes place in just over a week and there is a lot!
The narration was great!
Piya
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
What I liked:

Wade - one of the main characters, I could connect with him as a person easily enough and liked him.

Storyline and Plot - I liked the overall arc, despite the slight "chosen one" feeling it gave.

Pace - Perfect.

What I didn't like:

The Writing Style - After about 50% into the book it stopped bothering me because the plot was engaging but it seriously bothered me until then. It's clumsy and lazy.

Sometimes the writer would preempt something that the book might be critiqued upon, case i
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
A fun read and a good start of a promising story. I do have my gripe with this one but they are more than balanced out by the good points.

All the 'going forward' happening - everything does it, even the dreamcatcher. I didn't notice them going backward or sideways a lot, did we need to specifically note that they were going forward a lot?

It's a good thing I'm an HP fan and am not irritated by parallels happening. Actually, some stuff is an improvement on the HP line.

More to follow.

Good stuff:
Q:
Melody
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Harley Merlin and the Secret Coven. Where do I start? I picked it up in the first place because I heard it compares favorably to Harry Potter.

It is an entertaining story and it does indeed remind me of Harry Potter. And Harley is 19 when we meet her, which is nice in that it makes me feel less like I’m reading a children’s book.

I’m not sold on it, though. The biggest issue for me is that the book reads not like an inspired fan’s attempt to create a new magical world, but like a calculated attem
Jinjre
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am, by all measures, an adult. I also happen to like YA fiction.

This book is not Harry Potter. It is not even close to Harry Potter. The language and vocabulary sounds like a frustrated 8th grader wrote it. It has a trope on every page.

Most 30 year olds do not have "Did not!-Did too!" arguments. To have this occur in the world the author has created is jarring at best and laughable at worst.

Stick to the in-flight magazine, and don't bother with this book.
Melissa Dinwiddie
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An older, female Harry Potter

Several other reviewers, as well as the book’s description, have compared Harley Merlin to Harry Potter, and the comparisons are apt—a magical society/school that humans are unaware of; bureaucratic elements; forces of evil; an orphaned main character with an opaque family history.

But Bella Forrest has created her own magical world, filled with delightful characters and rules that I found great fun to explore. I look forward to reading more books in this series!
Jeanny
Apr 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
A disappointment. 🤨 the 📖 begins well enough but as it progressed it suffered from slow pacing & uninteresting characters. 1 Subpar Star DNF 25% ...more
Misha
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Just no...

This book seemed like it was going to be awesome and the high ratings made me believe I had picked a winner. I was wrong. I didn’t like it, but I’m not sure if it’s because of my idiosyncrasies,
rather than the author’s writing style, the plot or the characters that tanked this for me. Let me explain.

The book moves really slow (at least to me). More so in the first part of the book. I expected more action, less talk. I’m not sure I really like or want to root for Harley or Wade for tha
Kaitlin Underwood
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting new world of witchcraft and wizardry! This book has a bit of a nostalgic feel for the fans of Harry Potter, in that there are secret institutions of magical people hidden in enchanted pockets of the world. It is much more mature and dark than any children's books, though.

One thing Bella Forrest is the Queen, Grand Master, and Ultimate Ruler of is creating a full cast of characters who band together and exhibit the true definition of friendship, love and loyalty. Already, we can se
Jacob Proffitt
May 12, 2019 marked it as unfinished
I got to 30% and had a suspicion. The setup seemed kind of fragile with lots of titanic forces in stress, not least having the coven sanctuary sitting on a powder keg. And I figured that either Forrest is unaware of her own setup or things were going to explode and that was integral to the plot. Which twigged me onto a feeling I had that I was reading outside of the genre I expected (UF with YA flavor). So I explored a bit. Okay, I read the cover copy of later books in the series. And found that ...more
Julia
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read this book as it had been compared to Harry Potter in reviews. I grew up with Harry Potter and those books have shaped my childhood. While the Harley Merlin series was an enjoyable, quick read, it has nothing on Harry Potter. I found that the author focused on the outer appearance and as with almost all teen novels nowadays they could all be found on runways in real life and the main character has two gorgeous guys vying for her attention. Instead of carving out characters that are not car ...more
Deb Hills
While the overall storyline is entertaining enough, I felt like I was reading something written by a high schooler. I am always skeptical of authors that churn out too many books too soon, it’s often an indicator of sloppy work and poor development. For a book about an empath, the range of emotions expressed was limited. The author seems to be in desperate need of a thesaurus (i.e. too many chuckles and smirks). There are also grammatical errors and odd phrasing throughout, for example the cover ...more
Erin
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All the reviews called this the girl version of Harry Potter.
description

This was nothing like Harry Potter. It felt nothing like it. However, I knew going into it that it wasn't going to be, so I didn't have those expectations. Besides the extreme lie in advertising, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I decided to read this book because I love Bella Forrest's other series (you know, the guilty pleasure vampire one ;) ) But this one felt very different. It felt more YA and more mature. I haven't read Forrest'
Katharina
Mar 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Andrea
I did like the premise of this story- we have Harley, a orphan who has Magical powers of her own, but has never meet anyone like her- until a chance encounter with a warlock and a gargoyle make her realize she’s not as alone as she thought.

So like I said interesting premise, but it was another ‘speshul girl’ story where Harley is not only Elemental ( can control all of the elements) but telekinetic as well as an empathetic. So yeah really rare- but oh no, her power isn’t what everyone hoped, a
Miriam
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars.
Abi
This was a pretty good book. It had interesting magic and culture. The pacing was good. The plot had a twisty, surprising mystery. The characters were intriguing and the main character was easy to like. I was never bored, and liked it from the beginning. The start of the romance is promising. Overall, a good start to a series that is, to my knowledge, complete this month. I will read book 2. 4.5 stars.
Chloe Adams
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read stuff like this but I've been hooked all day! Brilliant read can nit want to read the next!!
The Book Club
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Harley, that has discovered at a young age of her supernatural ability, discovers a completely new world after helping an “electric” guy to defeat a gargoyle. And with the new world she will disclose misteriosa about her real family.

I came across this book on Facebook and I felt like reading it as it was compared to Harry Potter, indeed there are few things that could connect the book to the HP saga, the magic element, the coven (could be compared to Hogwarts) and other few elements which I won
Sandra
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, own-it
First 3rd failed to engage as it was too much info dump and set up. I may not have continued had it not been a book club read and that would have been a shame as shortly after that 1/3 way point things became lots more interesting with Harley being part of the team dealing with the gargoyle breakouts and the story flowed more naturally and we were spared the info dump. I did like Harley's sass and how she gave as good as she got and didn't put up with any disrespect. Not sure about Wade yet as h ...more
Laura..devouring books like crumpets
Wow Wow Wow......

Now i had tried this Author hot bloods series the first book and really wasn't for me..... So i put this author aside a few years back... however this book fit a challenge i was participating in so thought i would give it a go....

Its not your typical YA the heroine is Mature (for the most part) brilliantly written and doesn't fall in love at the first set of Green eyes.

Its like Ghostbusters and Harry potter had a lovechild.....

Harley Smith is an orphaned empath (and some) workin
Danielle Schiestle
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and can't wait to read the rest of the series! Giving it 5 stars due to how engaging it was and how quickly I flew through the book - the characters are quirky and have more depth to them than you realize when you first meet them. However, the writing style I'd put more at 3 stars. It's very informal and definitely a YA book. At times the writing is a little immature. I initially started this book because it's been marketed as a series for Harry Potter lovers. If you like fantasy ...more
Natalia Navarro
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! 🤓

This a fantastic start of the series!!!... Just by reading Harley's last name I knew it has to be a great book!!!... The plot is amazing, with the last of the Merlin descendant as the main character; who has to find out her place in the world, when she discovers she's not the only one with special abilities... Will she stay in the coven after all that happen in her first week there?, including the discovery of her true heritage?... I can't wait for the next book to release!!! 🤗❤️
Kristen
Mar 11, 2019 marked it as just-curious
Facebook really wants me to read this.
Like The Gender Game (which FB also really wanted me to read, also by Bella Forrest), this is billed as the next [insert popular series name here]. For this, it's Harry Potter. For The Gender Game, it was The Hunger Games.
Also like The Gender Game, this series has 7 books, all published within a year of each other (this series isn't yet complete)
Also like The Gender Game, I've seen some very negative reviews.
Extremely tempted to read the first book of each a
Lburt
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: wizards-witches
Meh, this book was written well with developed characters and a good plot. My “meh” review is because I couldn’t decided what age level it was designed for. Some parents are YA and some children’s. It was a bit confusing and a little hard for me to get into. The point system really threw me, like who cares if the coven doesn’t get points this is real life not children at hog warts. People are getting killed and injured, just do the right thing and find out what’s going on.
Marcia  Haskell
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I saw an ad that said this book was the next Harry Potter and laughter, to myself “oh sure, I don’t believe it”. This has the same characteristics I enjoyed in the Harry Potter series, a fun, quirky main character, interesting, not-quite-believable situations and an enemy who is hidden. I enjoyed every minute of this book and will certainly get the next books in the series. I am looking forward to seeing what Hailey learns and how she learns to use all her abilities.
Nicole Ouimet
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Captivating

I am an enormous Harry Potter fan, and while nothing will ever come close to HP, this book was captivating. I read it in just 2 days!! Can’t wait to read the next one, and I am also very excited to see that Bella Forrest has a ton of other series out there for me to enjoy. I am a huge fun of the supernatural, and it looks like I found the right author for me.
Sandy
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really good YA read.

I will definitely recommend Harley to my kids at school. I can tell the author is a Harry Potter fan - a few similarities to Hogwarts for sure - which makes the story more endearing and let's the reader connect with a new kind of magical world. On to the 2nd book!
Shut Up & Read: Harley Merlin and the Secret Coven by Bella Forrest 15 18 Nov 19, 2019 08:27AM
New Adult Book Club: Bella Forrest paperback Giveaway 8 51 Mar 03, 2019 01:03AM

• Crossroads and the Himalayan Crystals
  • Ice Dragon (The Dragon Misfits #1)
  • The Land of the Undying Lord (The Infinite World Book 1)
  • Brainwalker
  • The Hills Have Spies (Valdemar: Family Spies #1)
  • Qualify (The Atlantis Grail, #1)
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • Hunting Fiends for the Ill-Equipped (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #3)
  • Chosen (The Warrior Chronicles, #1)
  • Serafina and the Black Cloak (Serafina, #1)
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • The City of Ember (Book of Ember, #1)
  • The Girl Who Drank the Moon
  • The One and Only Ivan
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Hogwarts Library)
  • The Tyrant’s Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • The Starless Sea
Bella Forrest is a lover of fantasy, romance, action, and mystery infused stories with twists you don’t see coming. She has sold over seven million books since her first novel was published in 2012.

*LATEST RELEASES*:
☞ A Shade of Vampire: A Gate of Light (Book 91)
☞ Harley Merlin 20: Persie Merlin and the Witch Hunters
☞ Darklight 8: Darkwilds

Sign up to Bella's New Release email list and you'll aut

Harley Merlin (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Harley Merlin and the Mystery Twins (Harley Merlin, #2)
  • Harley Merlin and the Stolen Magicals (Harley Merlin, #3)
  • Harley Merlin and the First Ritual (Harley Merlin, #4)
  • Harley Merlin and the Broken Spell (Harley Merlin, #5)
  • Harley Merlin and the Cult of Eris (Harley Merlin, #6)
  • Harley Merlin and the Detector Fix (Harley Merlin, #7)
  • Harley Merlin and the Challenge of Chaos (Harley Merlin, #8)
  • Harley Merlin and the Mortal Pact (Harley Merlin, #9)
  • Finch Merlin and the Fount of Youth (Harley Merlin, #10)
  • Finch Merlin and the Lost Map (Harley Merlin, #11)

News & Interviews

“Errors were meant to be recorded and later avoided, not repeated. Elitism raised the masses once, to the point where the people got angry and toppled entire monarchies. Had we really learned nothing?” 3 likes
“History was meant to serve as a lesson, not a guideline. Errors were meant to be recorded and later avoided, not repeated. Elitism raised the masses once, to the point where the people got angry and toppled entire monarchies. Had we really learned nothing?” 2 likes