Start by marking “Bookshop Girl” as Want to Read:
Bookshop Girl

Bookshop Girl

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  260 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
A hilarious tale of female friendship, bookshops and fighting for a cause - perfect for fans of Holly Bourne and Louise Rennison.

Bennett's Bookshop has always been a haven for sixteen-year-old Paige Turner. It's a place where she can escape from her sleepy hometown, hang out with her best friend, Holly, and also earn some money.

But, like so many bookshops, Bennett's has be
Kindle Edition
Published June 14th 2018 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about Bookshop Girl, please sign up.
Pashmina A bit, yes, but it isn't the main plot...

Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
I won a copy of Bookshop Girl for review via Readers First and the publishers Hot Key Books, so a big thank you to them for picking me as one of the giveaway winners!

This is such a frustrating review to write, since the premise for the storyline sounded incredible when I read the extract from Readers First. However, everything quickly fell downhill and nothing was enjoyable for me after the first 100 pages. Paige is a young girl, that works in her local bookshop until the moment she learns that
Natalie
Apr 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-for-me, dnf, arc
yeah, no thanks
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If I was 16 then I'd enjoy this a lot but I'm really not feeling it. The language annoys me with things like 'oh em gee', 'defo' and other weird words, and the protagonist (who is called Paige Turner...not even kidding) is just a bit OTT for my taste. I love the idea for the story though and the writing was okay with some parts in it that made me smile.

I'd recommend this to a younger reader, I may just be a bit too old for it.
Bookread2day
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I throughly enjoyed Bookshop Girl. I have a full review on my website www.bookread2day.wordpress.com
George (BuriedInBooks)
May 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Hi everyone here is my latest book review and today I tried to read BookShop Girl by a woman called Chloe Coles.This is not a positive review and I'm not afraid to be honest!I unfortunately DNF'ed at page 80 as I felt uncomfortable after reading this extract
"It's a typical example as Male privilege. The assumption that they can say whatever they like to girls. The assumption that women or girls are there for their entertainment"(BookShop Girl, page 80)
Personally I found this offensive as I feel
gem
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
📚💕😍💛🌈
I absolutely LOVED this book!
When the regional manager announces that Bennett’s Bookshop is to be closed down to make way for regeneration, Paige refuses to allow it to become yet another casualty of the high street!

I have worked in a tiny high street bookstore as well as a huuuge high street bookstore, so I could perfectly empathise with Paige’s desire to fight to keep Bennett’s Bookshop open; it was not only her place of work, but she had many memories associated with the store. The shop
Georgia
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY love this book. It’s wonderful and I seriously recommend it.

Sixteen year old Paige Turner (you read that correctly!) has been working at Bennett’s Bookshop for 2 months before recieving the news that in a month it’ll become another casualty of the high street. She decides to put her best activist foot forward in attempt to save it, but it won’t be easy in a small town like Greysworth. Along the way there will be boys, feminism, naked bodies and friendship!
Full review: http://georgiasbo
Stacey (prettybooks)
Bookshop Girl was written for teen Stacey. When it's announced that Bennett's Bookshop will close down, Paige Turner is having none of it. It's her place of work; where she goes with her best friend and colleague, Holly, to buy her next favourite book; and a pillar of the Greysworth community. Paige won't go down without a fight, even if there are pretty artistic boys around to distract her.

Continue reading this review over on Pretty Books.
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
A cute, quick read, but I wasn’t as enamoured with it as I hoped I’d be. As other reviewers point out, this does feel more like the younger side of YA, and I feel like it could cross with middle-grade; Paige’s narration is youthful, littered with text-speech and funny phrases, and whilst it was okay, I wasn’t completely loving it.

However, the themes this book presented were incredibly relevant: British high streets are being affected by online businesses, bookshops especially, and I love how thi
theresa 🌸🥑
this was actually such a cute and easy read.and so very british.absolutely loved it!
Priyasha
Seriously I enjoyed this funny ,cute and light book.
I am thankful to netgalley for providing me with a e-arc .
To begin with this book is a story of a young girl of 16 ,Paige Turner who doesnt want her town's only bookshop, BENNET's Bookshop to close down as it also provides her with employment. She along with her best friend Holly and her other co-workers plan to save the bookshop. what follows to save the bookshop is a hilarious account and I totally loved this light read.
Paige love for boo
Kelly
This books is outrageously funny. When I say that I laughed out loud, I really do mean it. I was cackling, snorting it really is a novel that tickled me. Paige Turner not only has the best name in YA but is a completely unforgettable personality. As an avid book fan and bookshop lover, I totally adored Paige’s passion for saving her local bookshop. It was great to read a book about a young person having such a powerful impact and showing it can be done! I can’t wait for more escapades with Paige ...more
Janay Brazier
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What reader doesn't love a book about books? I had been seeing this book on Twitter and Instagram for a few months and I knew just from the title and the cover that I needed to read it, so I was very happy when this turned up in my post box.

Let's start with the cover. It's awesome! I love how bright and colourful it is, it's so eye-catching!

The artwork is so simplistic but it's perfect for this book.

The cover illustrations were actually done by the author, Chloe Coles, which I think is amazing.
Fabulous Book Fiend
Firstly, let it be noted that I laughed out loud at this book so many time whilst in a crowded airport and sitting on a full plane, so safe to say I enjoyed it a lot! I love the premise behind this book, a casualty of the high street that we have all seen a thousand times before, the local bookshop being closed. But it really does mean so much more to people that just a shop and I love that the heroine of this story is Paige Turner.

This book is also awesomely feminist, at every turn Paige and h
Hâf
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading Bookshop Girl and in total I would give it 3.5 stars, however there were some aspects that grated on my nerves and as a debut book it already felt a little dated.

When writing contemporary books, to keep the books from ageing writers don't usually go into too much detail about specific brands or labels. Bookshop Girl mentioned BHS as a current high street shop, considering BHS has been gone a while now this debut book was slightly dated before it was even released.

I loved Paige'
Lydia Timpson
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paige Turner (awesome name) has a part time job at Bennett's Bookstore but the higher ups are planning on closing it down.
Paige is not standing for this, especially when the fit Blaine has started to frequent the store. He is totally the one for her, all artsy and mysterious. Along with her best friend Holly, she is heading for a summer of anarchy. But can she save the bookstore?
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a fast read, easily paced out and full of interesting characters. Paige's voice
Michaela's Journey into Books
*I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review*

This was a really fun and quick summer read. It follows the story of Paige who has just found out that the bookshop she works at is to be closed and demolished. Therefore, Paige decided to team up with her best friend Holly and her co-workers to start a petition in order to save the store. However as well as fighting for her bookshop Paige has to deal with her growing feelings for Bl
Kate (beautifulbookland)
This was a cute little book, incredibly lighthearted and fun, even if it was quite immature - I definitely think that it’s the kind of book that would be better suited to younger YA readers, simply because of the childishness of the language used.

Paige Turner loves her job at Bennett’s Bookshop - not only does she get paid to work with books, she also gets to hang out with her best friend Holly. So when Paige and her colleagues get the news that their beloved bookshop is going to be torn down, t
Karen Barber
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you NetGalley for providing me with a quick fun-filled read that reminds us of the importance of books.
Paige Turner (yes, that really is her name) works in a bookshop. It’s been a huge part of her life since she was small. When she learns that the council plan to close the store, Paige is determined to do whatever it takes to save the store.
What follows is an amusing attempt by Paige and her work colleagues to gather support for their campaign. Along the way there’s a little crush and some
Hanna de Koning
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun read! Books about books always appeal to me, but I don't always end up liking them. This book, however, was exactly what I wanted it to be: a lovely book about growing up, friendship, art and books <3
Kayleigh
I think this is a book that you should only really read as a teenager.
If I was sixteen like the main character I probably would have thought this was hilarious. Don’t get me wrong, some parts were pretty funny but the overuse of ‘OMG’ and the shortening of words like text speak sometimes ... just grated on me.
I’ll probably still read the second one, it’s good for a quick, lighthearted read.
Bella (Cheezyfeet Books)
I liked this book! It was good fun, and I liked how much I could relate to from when I was also a Bookshop girl. Looking forward to more! Full review to come.
Laura Noakes
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED THIS. funny and wry!
Nadine (Books and Peppermint Tea)
I really struggle to write reviews for books like this. I don’t want to bash the book or the author, but I want to be honest in my review.

Let’s start with some positives. I did really like the premise of this book. I think the idea of having a story set around a bookseller trying to save the shop she works in is great. There were a few moments sprinkled through the book that did make me smile.

Before I get on to the negative I will say that I’m definitely not the target age for this book. Our mai
Karen Whittard
Bookshop Girl is a fabulous debut book from new author Chloe Coles.

In this book we meet the heroine with a fabulous name Paige Turner who works for Bennett’s bookshop. I just loved that. The bookshop is a haven for her and it is a place that she loves working at and enjoys working along side her beat friend Holly. It was the first place that took a chance on them in the job world and so it has a special place in her heart.

But as we are so sadly seeing in every city and town across the country
Sophie Bosch
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! It made me laugh out loud throughout and also made me remember what it was like to be 16... the highs, the lows, the joy and laughter and sometimes tears that come with figuring out who you are and what's important to you.

Paige is relatable and loveable right from the get go and the rest of the cast of characters are wonderfully portrayed and believable, ringing true with the local community vibes this book explores so well. Most of all I loved the friendship between Paige and
Sally906
Oh dear. I had such high hopes for this book from the blurb – and who can resist a book cover with books on it?

However from the start I just didn’t connect. I have to confess that at times it felt like I was reading another language – the slang the MC and her friends used I could only guess at the meaning. Some I did - such as defo {shudder} - which i loathe as a term, so maybe I was set against the language use to start with :)

The MC is called Paige Turner and works in a book shop – I liked th
Verity (The Cosy Reading Nest)
I received an e-ARC of this manuscript via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Books set in bookshops always get put straight to the top of my to-be-read list, so when I heard about "Bookshop Girl" I couldn't wait to read it.

When the regional manager of Bennett's bookshop comes for a meeting the staff are devastated to learn that their branch of the store will be closed. Sold to them as a fait accompli, they resign themselves to the idea- all except Paige Turner (don't worry, the obvio
Miriam Joy
This was good fun. It's got an extremely bright, chirpy teen girl voice, which might not suit everyone (I was never that kind of teenager and I cringe when people write, "Oh. Em. Gee" but I also know it's probably not UNrealistic), but it's also full of books and art and enough nerdiness to offset that. Plus, friendship and nascent feminist rage -- what more could you want?

Paige wants to save the bookshop where she works. It's partly sentiment (she has a lot of fond memories associated with it),
Katy Noyes
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Moran-esque paean to bookshops, a droll story about adolescence, art and taking a stand.

The author seems to have channelled Caitlin Moran for her heroine in this, though I imagine it is probably closely based on both her own life and own bookselling self. No bad thing, either of them. For anyone who loves books, this is an amusing read, though if you aren't keen on teenage protagonists it might not be your cup of tea.

Paige Turner (yes, the character's name) finds herself stepping up to face 'The

Originally from Northampton, Chloe studied Illustration at Cambridge School of Art, before moving to London. She has worked in bookselling since the age of sixteen, and now works as a Children’s Specialist and Assistant Buyer at Foyles Charing Cross. As well as a writer and bookseller, Chloe is also an artist and sings in a band with her best friend.
“Books are more than just a prop to pose around with when you're trying to convince people you've got a bit of substance. Books are an escape route. A refuge. They can be a connection to a stranger, someone you've never met, who writes something that you hadn't considered anyone in the world to have felt but you. When you grow up feeling too big for a place, and you make that kind of connection with a book, it’s like a link; it’s a tunnel to the outside world. A glimmer of something beyond.
pg173”
2 likes
“Nice arse. They have no idea.
It makes my menstrual blood boil to be spoken to like that.”
0 likes