Jump to ratings and reviews

The Good Dog

The Good Dog is an allegory about how to love, accept, and show compassion to others through the eyes of a girl’s love for her dog.

Kindle Edition

instagram: walkerjeanmills

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (1%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 126 reviews
Profile Image for Susan - on semi hiatus.
410 reviews109 followers
April 29, 2020
Paws Charming.

Daisy goes into the veterinarian's office to pick up her dog who's had a procedure. She reflects on all the wonderful things her dog has done to help her when she's needed it.

I purchased several children's books for my workplace lobby, but because of Covid, we can no longer have any reading materials. So, I'll keep this cute and inspirational book at home as a pick-me-up.

Even though intended for children, it's endearing with an uplifting message.
Profile Image for Cora.
318 reviews2 followers
April 1, 2019
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway. The author sent the book directly to me, and I would like to thank her for that and for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

I explained to my almost 8-year old grand-daughter that the author sent us the book and that she would like to know what we think about it. She read it and told me she thought it was "okay". She said her favorite part was when Charlie helped Daisy with her chores. I asked her what she thought about the illustrations, and she said that she didn't like all the grey. That was the opinion of my almost 8-year old grand-daughter.

Here is my almost 50-year old adult review: I think this book is perfect for ages 3-5 as it is short and to the point. I agree that the illustrations need to be more colorful to appeal to the younger age groups. As an adult, I totally see why the background characters are grey, and that the warm, loving characters are colorful. I loved the message this book was trying to convey, and I would love to see a more detailed story written for an older age group (6-8 year old). I appreciate the simple scripture at the end of the book. This tells the reader that the concepts of love and compassion are Biblical without taking a "preachy" tone. It provides opportunity for discussion. Again, I would recommend this book for a read-together for children age 3 to 5.
Profile Image for Elle.
584 reviews1,253 followers
March 30, 2019
This was an incredibly sweet book. The author uses love for a family dog to teach empathy and kindness to children. My neighbors had a dog they loved, but when they had a baby about a year ago the dog reacted aggressively to her and tried to attack her. They were beside themselves when they had to get rid of their dog for the sake of their daughter. Though she won't remember the dog at all, I'm sure as she gets older they might consider getting another. I'm giving them this book to help remind and reenforce the love that can exist between a kid and her dog.

Just an FYI for anyone who is interested: there's a bible verse at the end of the book. It's not a religious story, but it's applicable to the idea of being kind to people. This may be a plus for some readers who are Christians and may be out of place for those who are not, but I thought it could be relevant either way.

*Thanks to Goodreads and Walker Jean Mills for a signed copy!
Profile Image for Sharon Huether.
1,440 reviews8 followers
August 29, 2020
A little girl loves her Dog; he greets her, he plays with her, comforts her. She applies all the good things about her Dog and applies it to her own life; in love for others, kindness and compassion.

I received this free book from Goodreads first reads.
Profile Image for Meegan.
15 reviews
April 23, 2019
This lovely story is a heartwarming example of how we should treat each other— with kindness, compassion and care. Whether it is with animals or with each other, our love for others is what makes the world go around. I love that this book illustrates that concept in a simple story of a girl and her dog, making it a relatable and comprehensible example for kids to learn the importance of empathy and love. Well done, Walker Jean Mills!
Profile Image for Raegan .
594 reviews26 followers
February 28, 2022
-Disclaimer: I won this book for free through Goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review.-

A cute little book with unique illustrations! I loved the contrast between the black/white/color. I'm not sure how a kid would like the lack of color in the book but I enjoyed it. The book also talks of being a good person and doing good things will get you far.

On the other side, I didn't care for the NIV verse in the back of the book. I use the KJV and don't believe the NIV version is translated as God intended it to be. I did think the illustration on page 8 was gross/bad taste. The girl is having the dog clean a plate by letting him lick it. And the cover is dull to me and doesn't grab my attention since there is a lot of blank space. Overall it is simple, the story is good, & I liked the distinctive pictures.
Profile Image for TammyJo Eckhart.
Author 17 books119 followers
May 27, 2019
I love kids' books that are enjoyable for adults because if we are going to be reading it to or with our kids, we need to find it interesting, too. In this case both the story and the art is interesting if you pay attention. The story turns upon itself showing life lessons understood after some dangerous and scary event. The art changes with that lesson with gray scale and color purposefully shown to highlight the "good" agents. The result of both story and art was that my little and I were able to enjoy the book but also use it as a way to have a discussion about doing good.
Profile Image for Beth.
54 reviews2 followers
August 5, 2019
My 2 1/2 year old grandson absolutely LOVES this book. It is simply written and very sweet. The illustrations are wonderful because of the use of color and black and white. We read the book together no less than 20 times this past weekend. Kindness and good deeds and a girl and her dog. What more could you ask for!?
229 reviews9 followers
March 27, 2019
This is an excellent book about kindness. Charlie the dog is able to show Daisy how do good deeds for the people in her life.
Profile Image for Michael Wilson.
44 reviews2 followers
October 24, 2019
I won this book on Goodreads. It's a very cute children's story that teaches a nice lesson (as good children's books do). I'm going to pass this on to my little nephew as I'm sure he will enjoy it.
Profile Image for Kaitlin Wagner.
23 reviews3 followers
April 3, 2021
Loved this book it was so cute! Really shows the connection between a dog and their person
111 reviews
February 23, 2022
Thank you to Goodreads for selecting me to win a copy of this delightful book. I absolutely loved it. My motto in life is "kindness gets kindness" and this book is right on!! Daisy and her dog Charlie are perfect examples of being kind to one another and how they cheer up others and the empathy that they show to others is truly a wonderful book to share with young children. I have a great granddaughter that is 2 1/2 that I think this book would be perfect for. Parents and grandparents should read this book to little ones - it would be well worth the time.
Profile Image for Libby.
34 reviews
December 31, 2019
A beautiful story of compassion & unconditional love that a little girl learns from her dog.
I received this book after entering a Giveaway & it was mailed to me by the author.
Profile Image for Teneka Parker.
56 reviews2 followers
October 30, 2022
Very cute, well written. My granddaughters enjoyed it. It’s not quite what I expected hence the 4 stars but I would recommend it.
October 30, 2022
My 4-year-old and I enjoyed reading this book together. The illustrations are cute and we liked the message about being kind and compassionate to each other.
Profile Image for Taraneh.
7 reviews5 followers
October 8, 2019
I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway and thought it would be a sweet book to have in my classroom. While I have picture books in my 5th grade classroom, I think this is definitely geared toward a much younger crowd with the simplistic 1-2 sentences per page.

It was a sweet book and taught a great lesson about kindness. I was a bit bummed to find there was a biblical tie-in, which is something I would not have in my classroom. I'll pass this along to someone else who might appreciate it more.
Profile Image for Cyndi.
200 reviews14 followers
October 20, 2019
Thanks to the author for having the giveaway through Goodreads which is how i acquired this book😊😊

My first reaction was to the " high-five " shared between the little girl and the dog! ( big smile)
My second reaction , and whst prompted my entering thr giveaway was that i knew my soecisl needs grandson would like the book , too!
When it arrived, he was so thrilled ( he loves book mail too) that it was all he chattered about that evening . I read it to him and he folliwed along , pointing out things in the pictures and making comments pertaining to whst i read , and what he was seeing .
Suffice it to say , we both enjoyed the reading experience and " his" new book has a place of prominence on his bedroom bookshelf!
292 reviews
August 21, 2018
This is a remarkable book because at first glance the minimal color may be off-putting until you realize why. The colorful dog Charlie exhibits positive traits in the first half of the book but the second half has Daisy, the young girl in color, exhibiting the same traits she learned from Charlie.
Profile Image for Edith.
12 reviews1 follower
July 27, 2018
Learn how to help, empathize, love and care through Walker Jean Mills’ story, The Good Dog. Charlie, Daisy’s dog, is getting stitches at the vet. Daisy is eager to see him and as soon as she gets permission to see her dog, she bursts through the door. Charlie seems downcast and in pain. He hangs his head and appears to be sleepy which is quite different from his usual happy and excited nature. It is at this moment that Daisy recalls all that Charlie means to her. She remembers all the times he has helped her and cared for her. She realizes it is now her turn to emulate Charlie’s traits. She learns to care and be attentive to other people’s needs just like her dog.

The Good Dog by Walker Jean Mills is beautifully and adeptly designed to show the need for having compassion for others. It is a story that any young reader will have no trouble relating to. The characters are fun and authentic. Charlie’s character is especially inspirational. He shows us what we can learn from each other and how best we can relate to those around us. In a self-absorbed world, Walker Jean Mills’ book will go a long way in helping young readers shift focus from themselves to people who are in need of attention and love. The illustrations are also well designed to give priority to and highlight each main character in the two sections of the book. The Good Dog is a must-read for everyone, especially young readers.
Profile Image for Nicholl M.
313 reviews50 followers
November 26, 2019
I received this book from the author through a Goodreads Giveaway. It came with a bookmark and a note from the author. The book was also here less than two weeks after winning it.

It's a lovely book that as both a dog mom and a boy mom, I will read again and again with my little group.

Partiality aside, The Good Dog is a simple and sweet story about Daisy and Charlie. Daisy, I assume, is reflecting on what her dog means to her following a vet visit. The first half, Daisy reminisces on the goodness that Charlie shares with her and the world. The second half, Daisy is doing her part to share her goodness with the world as her Charlie does.

I've read other reviews that wished for more color in the illustrations. I think it's perfect. It highlights the importance of who we're talking about and why. As if the light in Charlie shifts to Daisy. I think the target age group for this will subconsciously pick up on that too.

A beautiful book for younger kids with a great message.
Profile Image for Mary.
4 reviews
February 24, 2020
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway. The author sent the book directly to me, and I would like to thank Walker Jean Mills for that and for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

What a beautiful message of how our "furry" best friend in our families, are also our very best teacher, of how each of us should teach by example, and always follow the "Golden Rule", of how we should all treat each other with compassion, kindness, understanding, and love, regardless of what we have in common, and what we do not.

This treasure of book of all things good, is well written, well illustrated, and also gives a percentage of profits to the organization, 4 PAWS FOR ABILITY. I would highly recommend this Children's book as a gift of knowledge and learning tool, to any child, and every child. Beautifully written.

Profile Image for Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective).
1,105 reviews54 followers
November 30, 2021
This was such a cute book, where a little girl sees all the good that her dog does, and then wants to be able to do those things herself. Great message for young people! I appreciated that that the author took the time to write the important things - like helping with chores, listening to others, helping others and more. And each good deed was highlighted on its own page. When Daisy repeated how she wanted to be like the dog, the pictures showed examples of her doing those very good deeds.

All in all, it's a fun book that I think young people will enjoy. The pictures are gray scaled, but color in the parts the page was highlighting. I thought that was a neat touch. This is a great book to have in a preschool, your own home, or even a church library.

I received a complimentary copy of this book. I was not required to write a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Rebekah.
165 reviews3 followers
February 21, 2020
We received a copy from a Goodreads giveaway. And I say "we" because my two kids were just as excited as I was to read this short and sweet children's book.

And it is just that: short and sweet.
However, I think my kids' reviews are more appropriate for this one.

My 3-year-old daughter wasn't overly thrilled. She liked the doggy...And that was all.
But my 7-year-old son said it was "awesome!" He appreciated the gray-scale background in most of the pictures and what that signified. He said it's a good story because "it's about being good, kind, and helpful. We want to have helping hands and kind hearts."

So take that as you will. Overall, cute book with a good moral base. Thank you so much for our free copy!
Profile Image for Tanya.
79 reviews
February 27, 2021
First off Thank You to the Author and Goodreads as I won the book through a giveaway.

We have read this book several times since receiving it. My son it 6 and really likes it. He has a dog and was comparing his dog to Daisy the dog in the story. For us, the story was the right length, because my son falls asleep fairly quickly at night. He enjoyed the pictures because they reminded him of what he draws. He loves to draw with pencils and keep them simple.

The book has a wonderful message, but it isn't preachy, which I appreciate. You don't have to read the scripture at the end to teach love and compassion as told in the story.

Again, thank you for a lovely story that has been added to my son's bookshelf ❤
Profile Image for Walker Mills.
Author 2 books170 followers
December 28, 2021
"The Good Dog" is a recipient of the prestigious Gold Mom's Choice Award. The Mom's Choice Awards® (MCA) evaluates products and services created for parents and educators and is globally recognized for establishing the benchmark of excellence in family-friendly media, products, and services. Using a rigorous evaluation process, entries are scored on a number of elements including production quality, design, educational value, entertainment value, originality, appeal, and cost. Around the world, parents, educators, retailers, and members of the media trust the MCA Honoring Excellence seal when selecting quality products and services for families and children
Displaying 1 - 30 of 126 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.