Start by marking “The Good Dog” as Want to Read:
The Good Dog

The Good Dog

The Good Dog is an allegory about how to love, accept, and show compassion to others through the eyes of a girl’s love for her dog.
Kindle Edition
Published June 6th 2018 by Covenant Books, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Good Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Dog

Start your review of The Good Dog
Brandy
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a warm, heartfelt read - my youngest daughter love ld it! Trust me, if she’s happy I’m happy! 5 stars
Cora
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway. The author sent the book directly to me, and I would like to thank her for that and for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

I explained to my almost 8-year old grand-daughter that the author sent us the book and that she would like to know what we think about it. She read it and told me she thought it was "okay". She said her favorite part was when Charlie helped Daisy with her chores. I asked her what she thought about the illustrations,
Meegan Moszynski
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This lovely story is a heartwarming example of how we should treat each other— with kindness, compassion and care. Whether it is with animals or with each other, our love for others is what makes the world go around. I love that this book illustrates that concept in a simple story of a girl and her dog, making it a relatable and comprehensible example for kids to learn the importance of empathy and love. Well done, Walker Jean Mills!
TammyJo Eckhart
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love kids' books that are enjoyable for adults because if we are going to be reading it to or with our kids, we need to find it interesting, too. In this case both the story and the art is interesting if you pay attention. The story turns upon itself showing life lessons understood after some dangerous and scary event. The art changes with that lesson with gray scale and color purposefully shown to highlight the "good" agents. The result of both story and art was that my little and I were able ...more
Jackie
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This is an excellent book about kindness. Charlie the dog is able to show Daisy how do good deeds for the people in her life.
Michael Wilson
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book on Goodreads. It's a very cute children's story that teaches a nice lesson (as good children's books do). I'm going to pass this on to my little nephew as I'm sure he will enjoy it.
Michelle
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great message for all ~
Libby
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story of compassion & unconditional love that a little girl learns from her dog.
I received this book after entering a Giveaway & it was mailed to me by the author.
Taraneh
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway and thought it would be a sweet book to have in my classroom. While I have picture books in my 5th grade classroom, I think this is definitely geared toward a much younger crowd with the simplistic 1-2 sentences per page.

It was a sweet book and taught a great lesson about kindness. I was a bit bummed to find there was a biblical tie-in, which is something I would not have in my classroom. I'll pass this along to someone else who might appreciate it more.
Beth
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 2 1/2 year old grandson absolutely LOVES this book. It is simply written and very sweet. The illustrations are wonderful because of the use of color and black and white. We read the book together no less than 20 times this past weekend. Kindness and good deeds and a girl and her dog. What more could you ask for!?
Cyndi
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the author for having the giveaway through Goodreads which is how i acquired this book

My first reaction was to the " high-five " shared between the little girl and the dog! ( big smile)
My second reaction , and whst prompted my entering thr giveaway was that i knew my soecisl needs grandson would like the book , too!
When it arrived, he was so thrilled ( he loves book mail too) that it was all he chattered about that evening . I read it to him and he folliwed along , pointing out things
Nadine
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a remarkable book because at first glance the minimal color may be off-putting until you realize why. The colorful dog Charlie exhibits positive traits in the first half of the book but the second half has Daisy, the young girl in color, exhibiting the same traits she learned from Charlie.
Edith
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Learn how to help, empathize, love and care through Walker Jean Mills’ story, The Good Dog. Charlie, Daisy’s dog, is getting stitches at the vet. Daisy is eager to see him and as soon as she gets permission to see her dog, she bursts through the door. Charlie seems downcast and in pain. He hangs his head and appears to be sleepy which is quite different from his usual happy and excited nature. It is at this moment that Daisy recalls all that Charlie means to her. She remembers all the times he ...more
Peter Z.
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A children's book that should appeal to, and be appreciated at different levels, by a wide age range. The lessons on "how to be nice" are traditional and appropriate. The Good Dog suffered one star due to faults with the illustrations.

First, the pictures are mostly black-and-white, with one specific character or focal point in color. While ours was typically happy to have it read "again" and "again", the book would certainly be more captivating if the pictures were in full color.

Going a step
Katpeetien
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Was it really 40 pages? The book was not that long, I feel (currently in the kids' room).

My 2 year old was really into it, whereas my 4 year old got a bit bored and distracted towards the last few pages. He was more into the book he was holding to read next. Interested to see what my next one thinks and how this book fare in the upcoming years.

As an adult, the book pulls on your heartstrings and give you a different perspective on life and your relationship with those around you. It's very
Elle Rudy
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
This was an incredibly sweet book. The author uses love for a family dog to teach empathy and kindness to children. My neighbors had a dog they loved, but when they had a baby about a year ago the dog reacted aggressively to her and tried to attack her. They were beside themselves when they had to get rid of their dog for the sake of their daughter. Though she won't remember the dog at all, I'm sure as she gets older they might consider getting another. I'm giving them this book to help remind ...more
Nicholl M
I received this book from the author through a Goodreads Giveaway. It came with a bookmark and a note from the author. The book was also here less than two weeks after winning it.

It's a lovely book that as both a dog mom and a boy mom, I will read again and again with my little group.

Partiality aside, The Good Dog is a simple and sweet story about Daisy and Charlie. Daisy, I assume, is reflecting on what her dog means to her following a vet visit. The first half, Daisy reminisces on the
Raegan
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won
*I received this book for free through Goodreads giveaways in exchange for an honest review*

A cute little book with unique illustrations! I loved the contrast between the black/white/color. I'm not sure how a kid would like the lack of color in the book but I enjoyed it. The book also talks of being a good person and doing good things will get you far.

On the other side, I didn't care for the NIV verse in the back of the book. I use the KJV and don't believe the NIV version is translated as God
Mary
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway. The author sent the book directly to me, and I would like to thank Walker Jean Mills for that and for giving me the opportunity to review this book.

What a beautiful message of how our "furry" best friend in our families, are also our very best teacher, of how each of us should teach by example, and always follow the "Golden Rule", of how we should all treat each other with compassion, kindness, understanding, and love, regardless of what we have in
Rebekah
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
We received a copy from a Goodreads giveaway. And I say "we" because my two kids were just as excited as I was to read this short and sweet children's book.

And it is just that: short and sweet.
However, I think my kids' reviews are more appropriate for this one.

My 3-year-old daughter wasn't overly thrilled. She liked the doggy...And that was all.
But my 7-year-old son said it was "awesome!" He appreciated the gray-scale background in most of the pictures and what that signified. He said it's a
Jeff
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I have a really hard time rating children's books, because I tend to be a little harsh; I am going to try and be as nice as I can. So, the idea behind the story, although simple (again, kids' book), was really good and I liked it quite a bit. The illustrations are great and definitely the best part about the book.

My issue is really about the writing and I can't say that it was supposed to be done differently. I just think about myself, as a young child, and I would've past and asked to be read
Rachel
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
A sweet - if short - illustrated children's book about how we can learn kindness from our pets. Daisy loves Charlie, and she loves all the good things he does. And so Daisy tries to be like Charlie - a feat we should all aspire to. Beautiful animation-style illustrations, with a clever use of color. Text lacks some of the flow of other picture books - no rhyming here - but is effective all the same. Probably best for very young children, as there is no real plot and only the two characters. ...more
Toya Taylor
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for kids. I read this with one of my sons. We both want a dog in the house (pending approval from Dad). Most dogs end up being another family member, and you hate when anything happens to them.

Love the scripture at the end of the book: Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 This is such an important scripture that is needed in the times and reckless political climate we are in now.

This book can teach us
Andrea
This children's book is a very quick read about a girl and her "Good Dog"...It will certainly show young children to be kind and loving to their family, friends and others they meet.
I know my 3 youngest grandchildren, even though all boys, ages 5, 7 and 9, will all enjoy reading or hearing me read to them aloud.
Thanks to the author for choosing my name in this giveaway.
I love the Bible verse she put at the back of the book "And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another,
David
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You wouldn't think a slim volume with eye-catching illustrations would wait on the shelf so long before being read, but that's what happened. This mostly picture book has a simple message: that if we acted more in the manner of the best qualities of our dogs, the world would be a better place. Kindness, concern, and service to others. A good book for young readers and older ones as well to take to heart.
Melissa
Received through the goodreads giveaways.

Very short, cute story of a girl learning how to treat others through the natural actions of man's best friend. My kids liked it.

If anything, I would have liked a little more meat to the story elaborating how Daisy could emulate her dog's compassion for others, but it was the perfect length for very little ones.
William Diehl
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads-free
A nice simple story about a little girl and her dog using the love they have for each other and show how the simple joys a dog brings to its human companions life. As a dog owner I find this book sweet and very representative of how many of us who have dogs don't see then as objects we own but we love and consider them part of our families.
Kim
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this story .....It will be a great book to give to my young grand nephew and grand niece to share .I know that they will love it also especially since they have a dog in their home . I really love that the main character is a little blonde girl just like Aunt Kim was once upon a time many years ago lol and that she loves dogs too.Can I say love enough ? ...more
Jeanni Cohagan
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My granddaughter is 6 and is in first grade and LOVED it. We recently got a rescue dog and she is now obsessed with reading any books that has anything to do with dogs. It was a pleasant surprise when I received this book from Goodreads. The story itself was very cute and we read it three times in one day.
Daniel Kubacki
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute quick read. I got my copy for free from the author. I wanted this book so I could read it and then pass it on to my niece as a gift. A good book about a girl and her dog. With lessons about responsibilities and showing compassion for others. Thank you Walker Jean Mills for sending me this book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
ratings gap 1 5 Oct 11, 2018 05:28PM

• You Are Not Alone
  • God Gave Us You
  • Dear Edward
  • The Big Finish
  • God: An Autobiography, as told to a philosopher
  • Ghost Town at Sundown (Magic Tree House, #10)
  • High Tide in Hawaii (Magic Tree House, #28)
  • Trading Christmas
  • Long Bright River
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Politically Correct Bedtime Stories
  • The Ghost at the Drive-In Movie (The Boxcar Children, #116)
  • Arcadia
  • Her Daughter's Mother
  • The Strangers (Greystone Secrets, #1)
  • Careful What You Wish For