Start by marking “That's Not Hockey!” as Want to Read:
That's Not Hockey!

That's Not Hockey!

The legendary goalie who revolutionized the game of hockey

Young Jacques Plante’s way of playing hockey may look different from everyone else’s. Instead of a puck, he uses a tennis ball, and his shin pads are made out of potato sacks and wooden slats. But that’s not going to stop him. He loves the game.

Jacques is drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in his mid-twenties. Fans l
Published September 11th 2018 by Annick Press

To ask other readers questions about That's Not Hockey!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That's Not Hockey!

Start your review of That's Not Hockey!
Jane
That's Not Hockey! is the story of Jacques Plante, the famous goalie who invented the face mask for hockey. We follow Jacques and his love of hockey from the time he is a young child finding ways to play the game even when he didn't have all of the "proper" equipment. His father helps him find ways to cobble together make-do equipment from whatever they can find lying around, whether it's a tree branch instead of a real hockey stick, or old potato sacks instead of knee pads.

Jacques' passion
La Coccinelle
Even though I'm Canadian, I'm not a hockey fan. At all. (Does that make me a bad Canadian?) However, I do like learning about history, and that includes the history of sports. This little book is a great way to teach kids about the evolution of hockey.

Jacques Plante was a goalie who was tired of getting injured. So he started wearing a mask. This was at a time when none of the players were even wearing helmets. The reaction at first was pretty negative; hockey fans didn't like change, and they e
Etienne
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this one in English because that is the version I've put my hand on, but with the subject and author's name, I'm pretty sure this book was originally in French. This is an homage to the great goaltender Jacques Plante and also a brief history of mask for the goaltender, which of course goes with the man! A good book. The young hockey fan will loved it, and it's always good to remember that those guys used to keep goal without any face protection... crazy!
CrabbyPatty
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This short children's story starts with Jacques Plante - who helps the Habs win six Stanley Cups - first playing hockey at age 3 with a tennis ball, then a stick made from a tree root, then pads made from potato sacks. .

Being a goalie in the early days is a testimony to the sheer physicality and just plain guts it took to stand in front of a hockey net and stop shots flying through the air at 70-80 MPH and more. AND without a helmet or face mask!. After suffering many broken bones, Jacques fash
Craig Sisterson
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A charming tale that brings the story of legendary ice hockey goalie Jacques Plante to wonderful life for little readers. Plante is a Hall of Famer who revolutionised the game in many ways - he literally changed 'the face' of hockey goalkeeping forever. This is a delightful picture book with vivid illustrations and a nice wee story with some underlying lessons about hard work and standing up for yourself. Very re-readable, and a good tale for little readers whether they're sports fans or not.
MissBecka
Thanks to NetGalley and Annick Press Ltd. for this DRC.
What a delightful way to teach kids about standing up for yourself, safety, and how both those things helped change hockey forever.
I thought they did a fantastic job telling the story of how Jacques Plante was not only a fantastic hockey player but and innovator in the game with lots of fun pictures along the way.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Being a huge hockey fan, the mother of hockey players and hoping my grandson will start playing soon, I think this book is a must read. It is the true story of Jacques Plante and how he changed the fact of hockey. The author, Andrée Poulin, shared Jacques journey from a teased child with innovative hockey gear (tree root for a goalie stick, pillows for goalie pads etc.) to a professional goalie. Jacques loved the sport, but after sustaining numerous, serious injuries to his face and head, he des ...more
Theediscerning
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not just for Canadians and North Americans alone, this story of the invention of ice hockey masks is well illustrated, simple to read, and goes great and easy lengths to demonstrate the success and change a bit of pluck and invention can lead to – not just on the ice. Yes, it will go down a lot better in the countries that know the real-life story, but it's a good tale worth relating to, with a clear moral.
Kelly
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A perfect story for my little hockey lover. My son at 2 yr's old pointed out right away that they were not wearing helmets on the ice in the pictures. This was a great introduction of the story and the man that changed hockey forever.
I have only been to one hockey game in my life. I doubt I have watched many more than that. I don't live in an area that snows more than once every few years. And yet, this book is so much fun, I fell in love with it.

Just look at that picture of Jacques Plante, playing his version of hockey as a little boy.

Jacques was always improvising, and doing things differently, and thus we have the reoccurring theme of people saying "That's not Hockey!"

As a guard, he was constantly getting hit in the face,
Chinook
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, canada
One of the Forest of Reading books about how Jacques Plante started the trend of wearing masks/helmets during hockey games. Both of the girls really liked how the story was told, showing how he slowly invents and uses alternatives as a kid before playing professionally.
Edwina
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, the children loved it, teachers loved it. It's a great story. It's history, it shows determination is worth it, and standing up for what is right, even when you are bullied, is for sure the way to go.
It was so graphic, the kids really felt it, the words painted perfect pictures. Not that it was harsh or scary, but a few covered their eyes and ears when I read about his injuries.
It was a perfect read aloud for grades four to six, you know, the grades that don't want to be read to any
Amy Robertson
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, children
That's not hockey? Yes it is! Read the story of Jacques Plante who introduces the goalie mask to the game of hockey. He did it his way, never backing down, as no real hockey player ever would. This young man stayed the course and won the battle. Hockey masks and helmets are now a standard to the game. Jacques influence has prevented many a serious injury. As a professional player he went on to win multiple Stanley Cups and has since had his jersey, as a Montreal Canadien, retired forever.

Excelle
Kristina
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book. Especially for a hockey loving family.
Storywraps
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a true story of a very famous Canadian goalie who invented the hockey mask and changed the game of hockey forever.

As a little boy Jacques had an innate passion for the game of hockey. He starts at a very young age to play and practice. At the age of three he's out playing every day. Does he have a regulation hockey puck? No. He uses a tennis ball. At age five he's still a small hockey fanatic and is playing non-stop. Does he have a real hockey stick to use? No. His dad makes him a stick
J.L. Slipak
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give more stars for this book.

The legendary goalie who revolutionized the game of hockey.

Jacques is drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in his mid-twenties. Fans love the unstoppable goalie as he leads his team to one victory after another.
Alan
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
As a former hockey goalie, ice and street, this was an excellent, informative history on Plante's innovations to the game.
Cheriee Weichel
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got a digital copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Canadians are known generally for their love of hockey so I'm pretty sure this will be a popular book in libraries and homes in this country. I did a quick survey around our house asking people if they knew who first wore hockey masks and they all replied, "Jacques Plante." This in spite of the fact that in our house people seem crazier about football.
This book tells the story of this famous goalie. He was obsess
Wayne McCoy
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'That's Not Hockey!' by Andree Poulin with illustrations by Felix Girard tells the story of young Jacques Plante and how he changed the game of hockey.

Young Jacques wants to play hockey so badly, but he doesn't have the right equipment. We see him play with a tennis ball instead of a puck, shin pads made out of potato sacks, and throughout it all, we realize "That's not hockey!"

When Jacques is drafted as a goalie by the Montreal Canadiens, he plays different. He also takes a lot of hits to his
Bonny
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book made me cry. In a good way!

Now, I read this book entirely because *I* wanted to. Yes, I would have shared it with my son were he feeling like this wasn't a kids book (he's 11 - "too old for kids books," he says). So, I read it myself.

This reminded me of the famous French Canadian story, "The Hockey Sweater". That book details the French Canadian boy who dreamt of a Canadians hockey sweater, but instead gets a dreaded Maple Leafs jersey instead.

Instead, "That's Not Hockey!" explains t
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
That’s Not Hockey! By Andree Poulin, illustrated by Felix Girard. PICTURE BOOK. Annick Press, 2018. $18. 9781773210513

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Jacques may only be three, but nothing can stop him from playing ice hockey. Not having any ice, not having a stick, not even having no puck! When he gets his dream job as a goalie for the Montreal Candiens, he loves it -- but he does not love being hit in the face and needing stitches! He decides that no matter how much h
Gwnhwyfer
Jacques loves hockey. He plays it every day.
But Jacques doesn't have a hockey puck.
So he uses a tennis ball.
Hey, that's not hockey!
But this three-year-old won't be stopped.

That's not hockey! by Andrée Poulin is a cute picture book for young hockey-lovers. The text is lyrical and the illustrations by Felix Girard are bright and entertaining. It's also a great first introduction to Jacques Plante and how he literally changed the face of hockey.

Recommended for ages 4-10. Good for storytime read-alo
Maria Antonia
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story of how to take a stand in the face of bullying!

I loved this little behind-the-scenes story of a hockey goalie who made a wonderful contribution to the game of hockey. (No spoilers, so I won't say what.) Now, I'm not some big fan of hockey, but I still really enjoyed this book. I would definitely recommend it. And I'd even recommend it to teachers to read out loud in their classrooms. The message of doing what you know is good for you (even in the face of people not unders
Andrea Doyon
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Young hockey fans will love this story about hockey great, Jacques Plante. His lifelong love of hockey translated into a stellar career as a NFL goalie where he was the first player to don a full face mask. The text is cute with the repetitive phrase "That's not hockey!" featured prominently. Felix Girard's artwork is captivating with wonderfully animated character faces. Kids will be captivated by this tale of a Canadian superstar. Most appropriate for students in grades PreK - 2.

Thanks to NetG
Enora
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
This is the true story of Jacques Plante, one of the most famous Canadian hockey player, who revolutionized this sport by introducing a safety helmet for players. I've never heard of him before, and I know close to nothing about hockey, but still, his biography is very didactic and entertaining. The text is very well written and the illustrations are charming. I would recommend it to any kid interested in sports or inventions.

*Thank you NetGalley for providing me a copy of this book in exchange
Turrean
Sure to be a winner with young sports fans. I loved the respect the author shows for a player who was not only talented and dedicated, but committed to making the game safer. It takes a brave man to risk being called a coward.
Julie
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Neat hockey story.
Ben Truong
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
That's Not Hockey! is a children's picture book written by Andrée Poulin and illustrated by Felix Girard. It is a cursory biography about the early life of Jacques Plante, a Canadian hockey goalie. Since today’s Google Doodle (12 February, 2019), at least in my part of the world, is commemorating his achievements, I thought it would be apropos to read this book today.

Joseph Jacques Omer Plante was a Canadian professional hockey goaltender. During a career lasting from 1947 to 1975, he was consid
Barbara
I simply cannot imagine playing hockey without a face mask. But at its earlier days, that's exactly how the sport was played, if you can believe that. This picture book tells the story of goalie Jacques Plante who was the first player to don a face mask. Jacques grows up loving the sport even though as a youngster he had to make do with whatever material is at hand. As an adult, he becomes the goalie for the Montreal Canadiens, a position that puts him right in the line of action--and results in ...more

• Emma's Gems
  • Mustafa
  • The Reptile Club
  • A Plan for Pops
  • Sleep, Sheep!
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Hike
  • Dragon's Fat Cat
  • Be You!
  • Giraffe Problems
  • Maisy Gets a Pet
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mutant Mosquitoes from Mercury (Ricky Ricotta, #2)
  • Dragon Gets By
  • Ricky Ricotta Y El Poderoso Robot (Ricky Ricotta, #1)
Andrée Poulin is a former journalist and current award-winning author of children's books who lives in Québec, Canada.

News & Interviews