Start by marking “Vet on a Mission” as Want to Read:
Vet on a Mission

Vet on a Mission

With the imminent arrival of her third child, veterinary surgeon, Gillian Hick, decides to abandon the perils of mixed animal practice, in a favour of setting up a small animal practice from home. When neighbouring farmer, John Armstrong, drops in for a cup of tea and stays to build the new veterinary clinic, the dream becomes a reality.

As the practice begins to take on a
Published July 16th 2018 by The O'Brien Press

To ask other readers questions about Vet on a Mission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vet on a Mission

Start your review of Vet on a Mission
Clare O'Beara
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dogs, cats, red kites, chinchillas, owls, donkeys and more. A busy vet with an artisan pork butcher husband and three young children thinks she could cope better with just a small animal practice from her own home. Until she has time and funds to adapt barns for a dedicated building. This account shows us how busy, how demanding and how frantic at inopportune moments her career became.

The biggest crisis came when a small amount of Irish exported meat was found to be tainted as - not well explai
Joan
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
As soon as I saw that Gillian Hick had written a third ‘vet’ book full of true stories I had to read it, having read, reviewed and hugely enjoyed ‘Vet On The Loose’ and ‘Vet Among The Pigeons. Gillian Hick is a practicing vet living near Wicklow and in this book she has her third baby, opens her own small animal practice attached to her family home and writes about her patients, their owners and her family life. I was not disappointed and enjoyed every moment of her beautiful writing and meeting ...more
Kate Ellis
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, on-kindle
If you are an animal lover, or have a wish to be a Vet, or know someone who aspires to be a Vet then I highly recommend this book. Filled with anecdotes, and honest insights into the daily life of a Vet I really enjoyed reading this.
Literary Soirée
Like “All Creatures Great and Small” the plucky vet is a mother of two, expecting her third, who sets up a small animal practice in her home. Heartwarming and very funny, VET ON A MISSION makes you fall in love with the creatures needing care and their equally needy owners, as well as author Gillian Hick and her young family. 5/5

Thanks to NetGalley and BooksGoSocial for an ARC, in exchange for my truthful thoughts.

#VetOnAmission #NetGalley
Sue Em
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Following in the tradition of James Herriott, Gillian Hicks has written a heartwarming account of the trials and tribulations of setting up a solo veterinary practice in rural Ireland. Both poignant and life affirming, her story begins as she is pregnant with her first child -- eventually she has three preschool children--running the practice out of her utility room. Her recollections of her patients and their owners enthralled and moved me to tears. If you enjoy animal stories, don't miss this ...more
Meagan Houle
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this final volume in the series. It was a joy to watch Gillian grow as a vet, a parent, and a dedicated member of her wider community. I will miss her wry, compassionate voice, and I'm grateful she wrote these books. They were a much-needed bright spot in an increasingly negative llandscape.
Elentarri
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley, biography
NOTE: I received an uncorrected Advanced Readers Copy of this book from NetGalley. This review is my honest opinion of the book.

Rating: 3.5 stars

From the author of Vet on the Loose and Vet Among the Pigeons comes Vet on a Mission. This book contains some of the experiences experienced by Vetrinarian Gillian Hick while starting her own small vet clinic in what is essentially her backyard - along with raising 3 small children (with the help of her husband). The stories are a mix of entertaining, r
Susan
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This charming memoir of the trials, tribulations, and joys of running a solo veterinary clinic while at the same time raising, with her husband, three young children as interesting as all animals combined, will delight any animal lover. Gillian Hick has written a lovely chronicle of her life as veterinarian and parent, leaving this reader with a satisfied smile at book’s end.

I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.
Martha Brindley
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Gillian Hicks is a vet expecting her third child. She decides to give up mixed animal practice and set up a small animal practice from home. A neighbouring farmer helps her to build her clinic and Gillian juggles family life, being on call 24 hours a day and tries to maintain some semblance of a normal life. The animal lover in me enjoyed this easy read and it would make a good holiday read for adults and older children. Thanks to Net Galley for my copy.
Cristie Underwood
Jul 16, 2018 marked it as kindle
I loved this book! I am an animal lover and fretful dog and cat mommy, so this book stood out to me. I am one of those patients that rushes to the vet for every little thing that is wrong, so I really enjoyed reading the doctor's perspective. It was also interesting to read how Dr. Hick was pregnant with her third child and still was able to switch to another specialty. I will definitely be looking for her other books, as I adored this one!
Janice
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Being a James Herriot fan, I was a little unsure about this book but was happily surprised at how much I enjoyed it. As a recounting of the author’s life as a vet in Ireland combined with a very busy family life with three children, it was amusing,insightful, uplifting and sometimes quite sad. I very much enjoyed it and will look for more books by this author. Definitely recommended.
My thanks to NetGalley for providing me with an arc in exchange for my honest review.
Annarella
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of James Herriot and Doctor Pol and when I saw this book I knew I had to request it.
It didn't disappoint me.
I loved the stories, so full of love, tenderness and humour. It's a very enjoyable read, both fun to read and moving.
Recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC
LimeCream
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. Being an animal lover it was just my sort of thing. Well written and entertaining, it took me through a whole range of emotions.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.
Nicki
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a biography, but it is told in such a way, that I had to check (twice actually) that this was non-fiction.
I love the author's colorful stories that mix in character sketches, humor and at times thought-provoking scenarios. This is a well done book. I would recommend it to anyone over age 8.
Leyla Johnson
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Being a fan of James Herriot, I read this book with a bit of trepidation, but I was very pleasantly surprised at the care taken in writing this fabulous book, filled with tales of family, animals and a struggle to make a living, this book is enchanting. I really love the inclusion of the children, especially Molly with her "cups of tea"
It really is a lovely read.
Ellesse
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgallery
When I decided to read Gillian Hick’s new book Vet on a Mission I didn’t realise she has already published two other books about her time as a vet. I find once someone has written a book about their career second books aren’t as strong, well as a third book I thought this was great. None of the tales she tells are boring or scraping the bottom of the barrel, they were exciting and things I haven’t read in other books.

The book really had a charm to it, we see Gillian set up a vet practice at her
Emmie
When I saw the cover I knew I had to read this book. It took me back to my school days and many a wonderful afternoon spent in the company of James Harriet.

Gillian Hick writes even better than James Harriet. I loved every page and every memory she shared with us. She had me in tears and stitches of laughter.

This is one of those rare books that I will read and re-read a million times. I truly hope that she will write more books. I will buy every one.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for p
Cat
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of James Herriot, I am drawn to non-fic books about vets and their clients! Gillian Hick's book is an updated version of Herriots and very enjoyable. I love all animals and have had quite a few, both household pets and wild outdoor pets in my life. I recommend this book to anyone who loves animals, is thinking of becoming a vet or wondering what it is they do, or just loves wonderfully written stories! I have to go look for her others now, too!
Nancy
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gillian Hick decides to work her own practice from home when she is expecting her third child. Reading about a vet's life gives you a look at the other side of the vet's office and what they experience. There were some fun moments. some sad and some just weird but she made the story interesting and my wanting to know what happened next in her life and practice.
Katarina
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heart-warming, lovely and very funny.
Verity Salter
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, but I found myself comparing it to James Herriot, so was ultimately disappointed. The stories of Gillians time as a vet in Ireland were fun, but lacked a real depth.
Caoimhe
Feb 14, 2019
Julie Milmine
rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2019
Sally Coles
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
When Gillian has her third child she decides its time to give up being a large animal vet and set up a small animal practice... but how much easier is it when you have 3 young children to look after and a 24 hour practice to run!

A lovely book with great true stories of animal incidents.....I always loved James Herriott it so it was great to read the stories of another vet
Jul 21, 2019
Mitch
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vet on a mission is the 3rd book by Gillian Hick, an Irish country vet, the premise is similar to James Herriot but the delivery of the narration lacks the humour and warmth that he wrote with. The book is a bit like reading Gillians notes, Its not awful as there are some interesting stories but as Gillian says shes happier with the animals than the owners and this shows in her writing. Saying that though a woman who has 3 small children and starts up her own veterinary practice deserves some cr ...more
Michelle
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the stories in this book. Reminded me very much of the James Herriot books. The only problem was I found several grammar errors - but not enough to stop me from finishing the book.
Trudy M

• Bite Me: Tell-All Tales of an Emergency Veterinarian
  • Horses, Heifers and Hairy Pigs: The Life of a Yorkshire Vet
  • Village Vets
  • Tending Critters in the Ridges
  • Here's Johnny!: My Memories of Johnny Carson, The Tonight Show, and 46 Years of Friendship
  • Love at First Bite: Tales from a Veterinary Life
  • The Yorkshire Vet: In The Footsteps of Herriot (Official memoir from the star of The Yorkshire Vet TV show)
  • Bucket to Greece, Volume Two
  • Bucket To Greece, Volume Three
  • The Oceans Between Us
  • The Outcast Girls
  • The Floating Feldmans
  • Call the Vet: Farmers, Dramas and Disasters – My First Year as a Country Vet
  • The Occupation: Loyalties are pushed to the limits in this powerful wartime saga
Gillian Hick was born in Dublin and has practised as a vet both in Dublin and in Wicklow for the past seven years. She also works for the Irish Blue Cross. She lives in Co. Wicklow, where she has her own practice, with her husband, three children, and a large assortment of four-legged companions.