Start by marking “This Is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn to See” as Want to Read:
This Is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn to See

This Is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn to See

Real marketing isn't about racking up clicks and tweets; it's about connection, empathy, and making a difference.

Over the past quarter century, Seth Godin has taught and inspired millions of entrepreneurs, marketers, leaders, and fans from all walks of life, via his blog, online courses, lectures, and bestselling books. He is the inventor of countless ideas and phrases
Published November 13th 2018 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about This Is Marketing, please sign up.
Michelle Yes, I believe it is largely aimed at marketers and encourages them to work in different ways. It's not limited to marketers though. I found helpful i…moreYes, I believe it is largely aimed at marketers and encourages them to work in different ways. It's not limited to marketers though. I found helpful information for founders, people who write business and functional requirements, product and experience designers, product managers and developers, salespeople, customer success managers, support techs, community managers, etc. I'm not in marketing. I took pages of notes and will be able to apply what I've learned in my work. Not everyone likes to read, has the time to read, or appreciates being told they have to read something for work. I might consider finding someone who will read the text and then distill its lessons, best practices, and philosophy for other functional areas.(less)

Start your review of This Is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn to See
Peter
Jan 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I'm sure there were some important tidbits of marketing advice in this book, but it's so full of generalities and aphorisms that you can't find them. Godin writes in pithy, one-sentence paragraphs that rarely have any transition to the next paragraph. He's almost too cute for his own good. It's clear that he knows marketing, but he's too coy to get his point across to the general masses. Give me tangible tips, not proverbs.
BookOfCinz
As someone who works in Marketing and Communications, I thoroughly enjoyed reading, learning and getting some reinforcements on things I already knew. I have been a practicing Marketer for the last 8 years and reading this book really helped to simplify and expand on issues I encounter on a daily basis.

This is a book about roots. About anchoring your work deeply in the dreams, desires, and communities of those you seek to serve. It’s about changing people for the better, creating work you can b
Melania 🍒
3,65/5

I’m aware of the importance of marketing and how much it impacts our everyday lives but I could never bring myself to care about it too much. That’s mostly because of the idea of ‘classic’ marketers that I associate immediately with this profession. They are known for being aggressive and pushing mediocre work at best most of the times.
That’s why what impressed me when reading this book and kept my interest enough to actually finish it were the core values the author is promoting :sinceri
Laura Noggle
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, nonfiction, business
Nice recap and refresher on where you need to be mentally in your marketing approach.

It's hard to write about marketing consistently (as Godin does), especially as it is always changing and slippery enough to define in general terms as is. Initially, I felt that this book was so similar to all of Godin's other books. By the end however, he had me, and I can honestly say I enjoyed this book.

It reminded me of a mini skirt—long enough to cover the subject, and short enough to keep it interesti
Emily
May 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Book abandoned on Page 115 of 260

This is marketing? More like this is disappointment.

This was a book I was very excited to begin as I’ve heard Seth Godin is a guru of sorts for marketers. What ensued, however, was the most disjointed and frustrating stream of consciousness waste of time. The Ulysses of marketing perhaps? This book had absolutely no flow or narrative, despite the importance of a narrative being reinforced by the author on multiple occasions. Random subsections followed with no o
Kirill
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book summarizes the current state of marketing according to Seth Godin. It references ideas that stood through time, like Crossing the Chasm by Geoffrey Moore, as well as a lot of things Seth wrote before. Tribes, Purple Cows. A small summary below (SPOILERS).

Lesson One: Find your smallest viable audience
We live in a world overwhelmed with information. Grabbing attention is hard and it costs money. Seek for the smallest market you can live with. Be specific. Trying to catch the whole market
Vanessa Princessa
I read this book thanks to Blinkist.

The key message in these blinks:

With the rise of the internet and the fall of the monolithic mass media, marketers can no longer rely on advertising alone. Instead, they should take an approach to marketing that identifies people’s underlying needs and desires, develops a product that can fulfill them and uses value-positioning and storytelling to cultivate a core group of fans who are receptive to trying new things and can provide the product with it smallest
Vera
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by Seth that I've read and although there are some genuinely original and solid ideas in there, I often struggled with fluff. The one thing that stood out as a negative for me was that he didn't seem to carry out the case studies properly - he doesn't talk about the why or the how, so the case studies fail to do what they should. I did get some takeaways from it but didn't feel it had much to offer all in all.
Matthew
I struggled with this one. On the one hand, there were a number of helpful concepts. On the other hand, those concepts felt so widely varied that it was difficult to find a thread or theme that wove the entire book together. I suppose that's the risk you run when you dive into an entire subject. Many of the chapters whetted my appetite for more, but didn't deliver.
Davor
May 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I am sorry to say but this is honestly A HORRIBLE book. There is just no other way to describe it. I gave up at the last 20 pages, I just couldn't finish it anymore.

Honestly, I couldn't STAND ANYMORE his gibberish.

Reading this book, You feel like it was written by a politician, because it brings absolutely ZERO VALUE and is just written as a mystery and philosophical novel, I don't know what Seth was thinking while reading this.

I truly feel regret because I wasted my time reading this book
Vanessa Angelina
Dec 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
This book felt like a chore to read. I kept telling myself I should finish it because “I already started it” but I realised that life is too short to read shitty books. I didn’t learn anything from this book because the author writes in convoluted metaphors and gives no guidance on how to apply the concepts he’s trying to explain. He doesn’t land his ideas and the book itself reads like a collection of short notes that he’s put together on a napkin while seating at a restaurant. The book has no ...more
Holly
Feb 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Should've been titled "This is terrible." This book is a collection of vague, half-formed generalizations you've heard better explained elsewhere. It's like he threw together a bunch of blog post DRAFTS and called it a book, banking on his name recognition and popularity. The glowing reviews are all from starry-eyed marketers who thought they'd get to meet/interact with Seth by reviewing it well! They got the book for free or in exchange for positive reviews. If anything, get this book from your ...more
Emily Fortuna
Jun 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reasonable ideas, but in feel like the book could have been edited down substantially. It gets quite repetitive, explaining the same ideas in slightly different ways from chapter to chapter. I think the best way to read this would be to treat it more like a book of koans or poems — read one section a day or as occasional bathroom reading.
Erik Rostad
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-books
I was expecting more. There were some good tidbits of info and some models I plan to use to rethink marketing plans. Otherwise, it was a quick succession of ideas about marketing that didn't pack the punch I was looking for.
Diego Leal
Mar 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seth really lost the touch.
It is like everything that he had to say, has already been said in his previous books.
At this point he is just regurgitating the same stuff, over and over and over and over again.
He really wasted my time here.
Diamond-Hope Kingston
I really expected a lot from this book considering how much it's been fawned over. You have to unearth the points from a large heap of mismatch narration & the weird, thoughtless way it was compiled. It's a no from me. ...more
Jurgen Appelo
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
Reads like a summary of design thinking, lean startup, and his previous marketing books.
Nicholas Kotar
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me forever to finish this. But I'm glad I did. This is a kind of philosophy for the intelligent and ethical marketer. Not many specific and actionable tips, but it's not that kind of book. It's a book to savor and think about and let sink inside you. Loved it.
Lorraine Haataia PhD
This is a discussion about marketing. Seth encourages marketers to stop and really think about what they're doing. This isn't a book with tips on how to grow your social media following. It goes much deeper into a thoughtful approach to marketing. There isn't one screaming message that comes out of this book. Instead, it challenges you to think more carefully about the people you want to reach and how to reach them to let them know what you have to offer. It's a more caring approach than most tr ...more
Anna Lina
I don't actually know that much about marketing so i can't say how good this book is with any authority, but as someone who is /starting/ to have an interest in it, it seems a good introduction and i learned a lot. I also liked that it was clearly marked as seth godin's theory and method and not as THE marketing method, because i always feel that presenting a personal approach as the objective approach takes away a good chunk of credibility from instructional nonfiction books.
i also enjoyed tha
DeAnna Knippling
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Customers are selfish. What can you do to make them jump through you hoops? Maybe take away the hoops.

This book isn't really anything new--marketing is really about what customers want, not what you have to sell--but, like any good Shakespearean adaptation, this book provides the info in a way that can be digested with relative ease in the current times. I particularly liked the business plan model.

Recommend along with Robert Bly Copywriter's Handbook to get down to the root of selling your vis
Christine Roca
Seth Godin is a marketing genius and he definitely has his nuggets of brilliance sprinkled throughout these pages. However, the book as a whole is horribly disjointed. It reads as if he took an assortment of blog posts and pieced the slightly-related ones together in each chapter. There’s no continuity, no consistency, no complete explanation of any one concept. Therefore, the book was painful to read.

If this were promoted as a compendium of blog posts, it’d be fine. We’d know to expect this so
Deion Malloy
Feb 08, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have absolutely no experience with marketing and am interested in learning about it. If this is what you're looking for, this book isn't really going to help you. It's more like a collection of observations about marketing rather than any sort of explanation or aid in understanding. It's hard to follow and feels like wasted time because the same information is repeated again and again in different ways.

This gets one star from me because I struggled to finish it and definitely would not suggest
Filipa Canelas
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thousands of followers, clients, or views are still seen as the gold pot at the rainbow's end. The more, the better. But what does it take to get big? And why getting big after all?

Seth Godin, the most acclaimed blogger on the web, suggests something different. Why not pick the smallest viable market possible? "How few people could find this indispensable and still make it worth doing?" The goal is not to get big. But to make a difference to those you choose to serve.

Read More Here: https://www
Tathagat Varma
Dec 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I generally enjoy Seth's writing, so thought of listening to his latest book on Audible. It was going to be a double treat as Seth himself was the narrator.

However, the narration was so dull and lifeless, it made the entire book look like a middle-school book on thou shalts. I somehow pulled along for a couple of chapters before giving it for now.

Sometimes, those who are great authors might not turn out to be great narrators of their own book!
Austin Bennett
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now, for the first time, Godin offers the core of his marketing wisdom in one accessible, timeless package. At the heart of his approach is a big idea: Great marketers don't use consumers to solve their company's problem; they use marketing to solve other people's problems. They don't just make noise; they make the world better. Truly powerful marketing is grounded in empathy, generosity, and emotional labour.

Saurabh
Dec 18, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One word- Crap. Don't ever buy it or read it. It's a solid waste of time. The problem with thought leaders is that after a certain threshold they start suffering from the God Complex and feel anything they say or write is divinity and use all types of stuff to prove their confirmation bias. If Seth Godin's All Marketers are storytellers was a stellar book, this one is pure garbage. I'd rather read a bit of Chomsky than do this book
Latasha
I always feel like there’s a level of personality in Godin’s books that just doesn’t mesh with mine. His books are usually short and to the point, I felt like this meandered a bit and got repetitive. Overall, though, a good message for people who think vanity metrics and junk marketing are a “good idea.” (They’re not, and Seth does explain why well.)
Sputnik Sputnik
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don’t believe anything less than the five star reviews, his book is incredible. I’ve been in advertising and marketing for three decades now, I’m cynical, I’ve read certainly tens and possibly more than a hundred or so books on marketing, and his is easily one of the best ones I’ve ever ready - particularly for the times we’re in now.

I read a low review of this book (with several similar comments) saying it didn’t offer any specific advice. Are you freakin’ kidding me?!??? What did they want, S
Vlad Olaru
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-library
Yes, yes, yes! A book with a bold title that actually delivers. This truly is marketing in this day and age. I think this is one of Seth's best books. Not too little, not too much. It reads fluently, one thing leading to another.

Virtually a handbook for approaching marketing today in a realistic way. Not overhyped or overly confident. Marketing means uncertainty and this book strikes the right balance, at least for me.

Also, it's a bit of an understatement to call this a marketing book. It is a b

• Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • Marketing Made Simple: A Step-by-Step StoryBrand Guide for Any Business
  • The 1-Page Marketing Plan: Get New Customers, Make More Money, And Stand out From The Crowd
  • Marketing: A Love Story: How to Matter to Your Customers
  • Company of One: Why Staying Small Is the Next Big Thing for Business
  • Growth Hacker Marketing: A Primer on the Future of PR, Marketing, and Advertising
  • The Infinite Game
  • Story Driven: You don't need to compete when you know who you are
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Marketing Rebellion: The Most Human Company Wins
  • Marketing 4.0: Moving from Traditional to Digital
  • Contagious: Why Things Catch On
  • Never Split the Difference
  • Crushing It!: How Great Entrepreneurs Build Their Business and Influence—and How You Can, Too
  • Traffic Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Filling Your Websites and Funnels with Your Dream Customers
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO of Yoyodyne, the indust