Start by marking “This Is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn to See” as Want to Read:
This Is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn to See

This Is Marketing: You Can't Be Seen Until You Learn to See

Real marketing isn't about racking up clicks and tweets; it's about connection, empathy, and making a difference.

Over the past quarter century, Seth Godin has taught and inspired millions of entrepreneurs, marketers, leaders, and fans from all walks of life, via his blog, online courses, lectures, and bestselling books. He is the inventor of countless ideas and phrases that have ma
Published November 13th 2018 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about This Is Marketing, please sign up.
Michelle Yes, I believe it is largely aimed at marketers and encourages them to work in different ways. It's not limited to marketers though. I found helpful…moreYes, I believe it is largely aimed at marketers and encourages them to work in different ways. It's not limited to marketers though. I found helpful information for founders, people who write business and functional requirements, product and experience designers, product managers and developers, salespeople, customer success managers, support techs, community managers, etc. I'm not in marketing. I took pages of notes and will be able to apply what I've learned in my work. Not everyone likes to read, has the time to read, or appreciates being told they have to read something for work. I might consider finding someone who will read the text and then distill its lessons, best practices, and philosophy for other functional areas.(less)

BookOfCinz
As someone who works in Marketing and Communications, I thoroughly enjoyed reading, learning and getting some reinforcements on things I already knew. I have been a practicing Marketer for the last 8 years and reading this book really helped to simplify and expand on issues I encounter on a daily basis.

This is a book about roots. About anchoring your work deeply in the dreams, desires, and communities of those you seek to serve. It’s about changing people for the better, creating work you can b
Peter
Jan 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I'm sure there were some important tidbits of marketing advice in this book, but it's so full of generalities and aphorisms that you can't find them. Godin writes in pithy, one-sentence paragraphs that rarely have any transition to the next paragraph. He's almost too cute for his own good. It's clear that he knows marketing, but he's too coy to get his point across to the general masses. Give me tangible tips, not proverbs.
Melania 🍒
3,65/5

I’m aware of the importance of marketing and how much it impacts our everyday lives but I could never bring myself to care about it too much. That’s mostly because of the idea of ‘classic’ marketers that I associate immediately with this profession. They are known for being aggressive and pushing mediocre work at best most of the times.
That’s why what impressed me when reading this book and kept my interest enough to actually finish it were the core values the author is promot
Laura Noggle
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, business, nonfiction
Nice recap and refresher on where you need to be mentally in your marketing approach.

It's hard to write about marketing consistently (as Godin does), especially as it is always changing and slippery enough to define in general terms as is. Initially, I felt that this book was so similar to all of Godin's other books. By the end however, he had me, and I can honestly say I enjoyed this book.

It reminded me of a mini skirt—long enough to cover the subject, and short enough to keep it interesting.

Using e
Vanessa Princessa
I read this book thanks to Blinkist.

The key message in these blinks:

With the rise of the internet and the fall of the monolithic mass media, marketers can no longer rely on advertising alone. Instead, they should take an approach to marketing that identifies people’s underlying needs and desires, develops a product that can fulfill them and uses value-positioning and storytelling to cultivate a core group of fans who are receptive to trying new things and can provide the
Vera
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by Seth that I've read and although there are some genuinely original and solid ideas in there, I often struggled with fluff. The one thing that stood out as a negative for me was that he didn't seem to carry out the case studies properly - he doesn't talk about the why or the how, so the case studies fail to do what they should. I did get some takeaways from it but didn't feel it had much to offer all in all.
Kirill
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book summarizes the current state of marketing according to Seth Godin. It references ideas that stood through time, like Crossing the Chasm by Geoffrey Moore, as well as a lot of things Seth wrote before. Tribes, Purple Cows. A small summary below (SPOILERS).

Lesson One: Find your smallest viable audience
We live in a world overwhelmed with information. Grabbing attention is hard and it costs money. Seek for the smallest market you can live with. Be specific. Tr
Jurgen Appelo
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
Reads like a summary of design thinking, lean startup, and his previous marketing books.
Austin Bennett
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now, for the first time, Godin offers the core of his marketing wisdom in one accessible, timeless package. At the heart of his approach is a big idea: Great marketers don't use consumers to solve their company's problem; they use marketing to solve other people's problems. They don't just make noise; they make the world better. Truly powerful marketing is grounded in empathy, generosity, and emotional labour.

Matthew
I struggled with this one. On the one hand, there were a number of helpful concepts. On the other hand, those concepts felt so widely varied that it was difficult to find a thread or theme that wove the entire book together. I suppose that's the risk you run when you dive into an entire subject. Many of the chapters whetted my appetite for more, but didn't deliver.
Anna Lina
I don't actually know that much about marketing so i can't say how good this book is with any authority, but as someone who is /starting/ to have an interest in it, it seems a good introduction and i learned a lot. I also liked that it was clearly marked as seth godin's theory and method and not as THE marketing method, because i always feel that presenting a personal approach as the objective approach takes away a good chunk of credibility from instructional nonfiction books.
i also enjoyed tha
DeAnna Knippling
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Customers are selfish. What can you do to make them jump through you hoops? Maybe take away the hoops.

This book isn't really anything new--marketing is really about what customers want, not what you have to sell--but, like any good Shakespearean adaptation, this book provides the info in a way that can be digested with relative ease in the current times. I particularly liked the business plan model.

Recommend along with Robert Bly Copywriter's Handbook to get down to the root of sell
Diogo Nascimento
This is a book that I need to buy the physical one because there are plenty of great insights from Seth Godin and I will want to read it again, this is for sure. In my pursuit to become a great marketer, this book helped me to realize that this career can be meaningful and good in promoting a good change in our world.
Erik Rostad
I was expecting more. There were some good tidbits of info and some models I plan to use to rethink marketing plans. Otherwise, it was a quick succession of ideas about marketing that didn't pack the punch I was looking for.
Vlad Olaru
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, yes, yes! A book with a bold title that actually delivers. This truly is marketing in this day and age. I think this is one of Seth's best books. Not too little, not too much. It reads fluently, one thing leading to another.

Virtually a handbook for approaching marketing today in a realistic way. Not overhyped or overly confident. Marketing means uncertainty and this book strikes the right balance, at least for me.

Also, it's a bit of an understatement to call this a m
Alicia Bonk
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love that my biggest takeaways from this book are not marketing strategies but rather questions to ask ourselves and strive for - what’s your contribution? What change are you making?
Georg Schlaiss
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To quote a good friend about Seth Godins writing style: written for the Twitter age. However the content very useful.
Scott Wozniak
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read and enjoyed a lot of Seth Godin's books--this might be his best. It's sort of a culmination of his history and thinking, the big ideas behind all the cool tactics and stories in the other books.
Sputnik Sputnik
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don’t believe anything less than the five star reviews, his book is incredible. I’ve been in advertising and marketing for three decades now, I’m cynical, I’ve read certainly tens and possibly more than a hundred or so books on marketing, and his is easily one of the best ones I’ve ever ready - particularly for the times we’re in now.

I read a low review of this book (with several similar comments) saying it didn’t offer any specific advice. Are you freakin’ kidding me?!??? What did they want, S
Alejandro I Sanoja
Pure Marketing Wisdom

If you are a marketer, entrepreneur, or involved in business, you MUST read this book.

I was hesitant at first because I thought it was just another marketing book (and I've been reading A LOT about marketing lately). Yet, I was pleasantly surprised.

In this book, you will learn the mental models you need to develop so that you can generate the much-needed trust so that you can build an audience in today's crowded and noisy markets.

Flow: Excellent. Took less than 3 days to reFlow:Wisdom
Nadia
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars, tending to 4.

In this book, Seth Godin presents, in his opinion, the only effective way to go about marketing: focusing on building communities around your product via creating a tension, offering a promise to relieve that tension, and then delivering on that promise. It's all about telling your users a story, taking them on a journey, and helping them to attain an ideal version of themselves. Rather than forcibly stealing the attention of potential users, position yourself
Sairam Krishnan
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, wow. I'm not usually given to gushing about marketing books, but this is really, really good.

One of the problems in modern-day marketing, especially with the coming of digital marketing that is always on, is that everything starts to be about the short-term, quick win.

But that's not marketing, that's running ads. And running ads, most of the time does not give you the lasting returns you want for your brand/company.

I've always been convinced that there i
Angela
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seth continues his quest to make marketers better people.

This book covered way too many concepts for its 250 pages - which left me wanting more. However, enough ideas are explained with enough depth that it is valuable for any marketer to read - especially if you're new to marketing and looking for a broad overview of a significant number of concepts that will help you in your career.

My biggest beef is the "case studies" offered in this book were nothing of the sort. They were merel
Tiina Pärtel
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are no specific "tweak this" and "click here" pointers, instead this book is about creating a big picture- understanding about marketing.

Classic Seth pointers:
*Most importantly understand your target audience and the belief system they've created for themselves: "People like us do things like this" and make your offer fit perfectly in it :)
*because remember that "the way you see the world isn't nearly as important as the worldview of those you seek to serve."
*all critics are
Jessica
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm just as surprised as anyone else that I loved a marketing book so much. As a journalism school grad, I will always be rather slow to accept most books about marketing. As much as I see the value of understanding marketing, most of the books I pick up are focused more on encouraging you as the marketer to understand what makes you so special than on encouraging you as the marketer to try to understand what your audience wants. "This Is Marketing" didn't do away with the former, but it directe ...more
Matt Seltzer
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This. This book, right here, is what I think about when I say I'm thinking about marketing. This takes it back to basics, and then reapplies the basics as complex, important topics that marketers should understand. Who are you marketing to? What are you trying to get them to do? What is the best way to do that? This is the process that marketing experts must understand if they're going to put together a truly epic strategy, and Seth's book captures that perfectly.
Mongezi Mtati
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book signifies a shift in marketing, in how we interact and connect with people for change to happen. Whether that change is to make a sale or to increase newsletter signups, this book has a compelling message about why you should focus on a small audience and grow that community. It also comes with a unique code to join a community of peers from across the globe who are changing the status quo in marketing.
Sebastian Hetman
I happened across this book at a perfect time in my life. Seth's insights freed me from all the missconceptions I had about marketing. I always saw it as a kind of necessary evil in the world. Something I didn't want to have to deal with.

After reading the book, however, I am confident that building personaly involved relationships of the decent, and mutually-beneficial sort is the more modern positive standard. Difficult, for sure, but no longer something to be ashamed of.
Manuel Palacios
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5.

Too many "whats" and not enough "hows" and "whys" (the example of how Don Corleone shifts the status in The Godfather is quite ridiculous. Nothing is explained, just merely the sentence "with some directing jiu jitsu he gets to switch the status back" wtf). It's still a pretty interesting book to get ideas from, but they don't go further. At some moments it seems that there is no leading theme far from the whole marketing aspect, the chapters seems disconnected at some point.
Emily Fortuna
Jun 29, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reasonable ideas, but in feel like the book could have been edited down substantially. It gets quite repetitive, explaining the same ideas in slightly different ways from chapter to chapter. I think the best way to read this would be to treat it more like a book of koans or poems — read one section a day or as occasional bathroom reading.

• Jobs to be Done: Theory to Practice
  • Resilience: Facing Down Rejection and Criticism on the Road to Success
  • The Execution Factor: The One Skill That Drives Success
  • The Penguin and the Leviathan: The Triumph of Cooperation Over Self-Interest
  • It's Not the Big That Eat the Small...It's the Fast That Eat the Slow: How to Use Speed as a Competitive Tool in Business
  • The King of Madison Avenue: David Ogilvy and the Making of Modern Advertising
  • Culturematic: How Reality TV, John Cheever, a Pie Lab, Julia Child, Fantasy Football . . . Will Help You Create and Execute Breakthrough Ideas
  • Not Impossible: The Art and Joy of Doing What Couldn't Be Done
  • A Social Strategy: How We Profit from Social Media
  • Hidden in Plain Sight: How to Create Extraordinary Products for Tomorrow's Customers
  • Humans Are Underrated: Proving Your Value in the Age of Brilliant Technology
  • Bourgeois Equality: How Ideas, Not Capital or Institutions, Enriched the World
  • Design Thinking for Strategic Innovation: What They Can't Teach You at Business or Design School
  • Borrowing Brilliance: The Six Steps to Business Innovation by Building on the Ideas of Others
  • Human Accomplishment: The Pursuit of Excellence in the Arts and Sciences, 800 B.C. to 1950
  • The Moment of Clarity: Using the Human Sciences to Solve Your Toughest Business Problems
  • The $10 Trillion Prize: Captivating the Newly Affluent in China and India
  • The End of Competitive Advantage: How to Keep Your Strategy Moving as Fast as Your Business
Seth Godin is a bestselling author, entrepreneur and agent of change.

Godin is author of ten books that have been bestsellers around the world, and he is also a renowned speaker. He was recently chosen as one of 21 Speakers for the Next Century by Successful Meetings and is consistently rated among the very best speakers by the audiences he addresses.

Seth was founder and CEO
“Marketing is our quest to make change on behalf of those we serve, and we do it by understanding the irrational forces that drive each of us.” 4 likes
“Persistent, consistent, and frequent stories, delivered to an aligned audience, will earn attention, trust, and action.” 3 likes