Start by marking “Salt Hands” as Want to Read:
Salt Hands

Salt Hands

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In the middle of the night a young girl wakens to a sound, goes outdoors, and discovers a deer with whom she sits quietly and lets him lick salt she has sprinkled on her hands.
Published 1989 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about Salt Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salt Hands

Lisa Vegan
Aug 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: every young child and all those who love animals
Recommended to Lisa by: Jackie "the Librarian"
I cannot stress how fond I am of this picture book; it’s very special. The pictures are gorgeous (I loved the deer’s facial expressions!) and as an animal lover the story gave me the chills. It’s a very simple story about a girl who feeds a deer salt from her hands, and many kids I know will enjoy it. It’s great for teaching about being altruistic, empathetic, gentle with animals, and it’s fun for kids’ imaginations as well.

I found this from Jackie Marquardt’s update feed. I did not expect it to
Jackie "the Librarian"
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young wildlife lovers
It's a warm summer night, and the windows are open. What's that sound?
Why, it's a deer outside under the pear tree! The girl in the story goes outside in her nightgown, with salt in her hands. She quietly approaches the antlered deer, and it licks the salt right out of her hands. Magical!
If you are a preschooler, it's fun to pretend that you're a deer licking the salt! This is a great storytime book!
Highly recommended!
Ms. Finnen
A majestic wild deer comes close enough to lick salt from a little girl's hands in this magical, whisper-soft story. "Rand's illustrations for the brief story invest this incident with all the wonder of a lady meeting a unicorn. . . . (A) beautiful book."--School Library Journal. Full color throughout. American Bookseller Pick of the Lists. Nebraska Golden Sower Children's Book Award Nominee. (via Amazon)
Miriam
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Sweet, simply told story of a girl seeing a deer one night and putting salt on her hands so the deer will come close to her. The meeting is over in a few minutes, but I'm sure any child would remember the experience for years. Aragon made the right decision to not try elaborating either story or text -- it is perfect the way it is.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I'd forgotten all about this book until one of my GR friends reviewed it. I read it years ago and loved it because I can imagine how soft a deer's tongue must be. What a shame that it's out of print! Thanks, Lisa Vegan, for bringing it back to my attention!
Barbara
Great story, and any book illustrated by Ted Rand gets my vote. The eyes in his illustrations tell a story all by themselves. My favorites are Once When I Was Scared and Knots on a Counting Rope. All are great.
Brenda Thompson
In the middle of the night a young girl wakens to a sound, goes outdoors, discovers a deer with who she sits quietly and lets him lick salt she has sprinkled on her hands.
Jared
Feb 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute story, excelent illistrations. Not very many words so it goes pretty quick which makes it an A-1 bedtime book!
Stephanie Anderson
I love the illustrations in this book very detailed and went very smoothly with the story line. I think this is a simple book and a very easy reader to some kids.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Good for teaching descriptions and schema
Melissaschott
Oct 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Salt Hands is a picture book that has little words per page but good details to emphasis ideas and supporting details in a story.I also show the video on teacher tube and we compare them.
Inge