Start by marking “Blue Collar Space” as Want to Read:
Blue Collar Space

Blue Collar Space

The future doesn’t just happen… Somebody has to build it.

Martin L. Shoemaker, author of “Today I Am Paul”, presents stories of ordinary people doing extraordinary work. Planning, exploring, constructing… living and growing and dying… across the Solar System.

Includes these award-winning stories:
Scramble (second place, Jim Baen Memorial Short Story Award, 2012)
Unrefine
Published June 6th 2018 (first published May 21st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Collar Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Collar Space

Start your review of Blue Collar Space
Mike Smith
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A nice set of stories all focused on people working through environmental or physical challenges in lunar, martian or space settings. The stories are filled with characters that many longtime sci-fi readers imagine themselves to be. That is folks who work hard and generally have an analytical approach to challenges.

For those looking of fiction that addresses stories of minorities or LGBTQ issues, this is not for you. The stories are all set in a place where either those issues have been resolved
Marva
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with most short story collections, there are a couple that don't appeal to the reader, but I enjoyed the majority of these stories.

I really like the theme of "blue collar" which told me from the outset the stories would be more about the working crew, rather than featuring a dashing captain who gets all the women.

Overall, I recommend it as a good book you can pick up, read a story, then go do something else before reading the next story. I read two full novels with this book acting as my spa
Leo
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting collection of short stories

Wasn't sure what to expect as I started the book. I read the synopsis of the book, and have read a different book by Shoemaker, so I knew the type of story telling I was about to dive into, yet despite this, I was still pleasantly surprised. It interesting to go through a series of stories that covers the mundane day to day happenings of living and working in space. Given, this book will never be adapted to a blockbuster sci-fi flick, but can definitely she
Bob In
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable escapist near-future science fiction.

As the title suggests, Shoemaker delivers a work-a-day reality. However, blue collar he may see it, the stories are laden with science. Plot points depend on metallic, orbital, and closed system properties.

Although he sketches the future in solar system activities, I wish he painted the scenes with a bit more impasto.

Nonetheless, I'll read another of his works.
L
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Finally! A sci-fi book that tells the stories of the folks who really do all the work!

If that weren't enough, the stories themselves are all solid and with many that are exceptional. They're organized into chapters dealing with different spaces/places/situations. I really enjoyed this one tremendously.
Richard Ameigh
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love the hardcore blue collar science/engineering

It's been long time since I've read anything as good as Kim Stanley Robinson ( 'tho not as broad-viewed as the latter). Engineers and orbit analysts should love it, too.
Russell M. Saurey
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed

A fully fleshed out world in space with plausible an.d consistent features. Almost believable. Good story line and exciting action.
Peter Rizzo
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable eclectic mix of stories

Play all read easily and I loved the depths of science within his fiction. I will continue to read all of his stories
alansplace
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
superb
Jacob
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Astronauts solve problems

If you like reading about astronauts solving technical problems in space, then you may enjoy this. Otherwise, you may find it repetitive and shallow.
Faith E Dower
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice Collection...

...of short stories...easy reading. Characters and story lines appear in later fleshed out novels. Recommended sci fi for all readers.

Andy Bulkley
Dec 25, 2020
Eric Peters
Mar 23, 2021
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Now, Then, and Everywhen (Chronos Origins #1)
  • Heaven's River (Bobiverse, #4)
  • Ballistic (The Palladium Wars #2)
  • Thief River Falls
  • Orders of Battle (Frontlines #7)
  • Cleo McDougal Regrets Nothing
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin, #1)
  • Little Voices
  • Randomize
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11
  • The Relentless Moon (Lady Astronaut Universe #3)
  • Station Breaker (Station Breaker #1)
  • Auberon (The Expanse, #8.5)
  • The Lost Colony (The Long Winter, #3)
  • Toward the Midnight Sun
  • The Doors of Eden
  • A Girl From Nowhere (The Firewall Trilogy, #1)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)