Start by marking “The Girl Who Called the Stars (The Starlight Duology #1)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Called the Stars (The Starlight Duology #1)

The Girl Who Called the Stars

(The Starlight Duology)

I know what I’m not. Human.

I can’t remember my life before Earth, but I’ve grown up hearing the stories of a planet ravaged by war and a people in need of a leader who will bring them out of the darkness. I’m supposed to be their light.

My future terrifies me.

But I’m done waiting to have a real life. If I ever want a chance to live free of the Shadows, I’ll need to fi
Published July 18th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Called the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Called the Stars

Start your review of The Girl Who Called the Stars (The Starlight Duology #1)
Michelle Fritz PA
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You have to read this!! It is one huge book, so well written that you will lose track of time. The words flow effortlessly off of their pages and transport you into their scenes. The prologue truly was heartbreaking and I may have shed a tear or two. I cannot imagine this story beginning in any other way! Our empress undergoes immense growth both with her powers and emotionally. She is a completely different girl at the conclusion from which we were introduced to. This has tender moments but als ...more
Jordan
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
PROS:

Heather Hildenbrand is the angst master. I swear, every single time I read her books there’s always some super swoonworthy, colossal build up of steam and languishing right off the bat. Then it grows and before you know it, you’re flipping through the pages on the prowl for a happily ever after…or at least one measly kiss. Jeez. But that tension is what makes the reader keep reading.

The premise of this book is awesome. I loved the fast-paced tragedy and adventure, and also those horrifying
Kelly Mccurdy
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book, this book had me all kinds of feels. Skeptical, trust issues, and the ever present threat of something lurking in the shadows. However, sometimes the shadows move and they are the things that are out there lurking.
When I start a new genre (for me at least) I go in read a couple of chapters and put it down. If after a few minutes/hours of playing games on my phone (let’s be real, its usually watching animal videos) I pick the book back up again. During the time I’m not reading it I ei
Kayla
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
First of all, I just want to say thank you to Heather Hildenbrand for giving me an ARC of this book to read in exchange for an honest review. No compensation was given, offered, or taken to alter the opinion.

This book is very different from the other books I read. I usually stick to reading supernatural or fantasy books. I don't read a lot of sci-fi books; however, I really enjoyed it! This story is filled with lots of action, adventure, a great heroine, and a touch of romance. The pace of this
Nov 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Eh...

I wasn’t crazy about this one. The romance seemed forced and expected. The characters were flat. The inter dialogue awkward and a bit random. She seemed to focus on the trivial and ignore the important. Her actions didn’t seem to make sense either.
Example: Xander tells her of a problem with their relationship and she’s all...he’s so hot... those eyes... let’s make out. But when Peter says the same thing hours later, she’s all OMG what are we going to do? Um, I’m not really sure but I thin
Elise Flores
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great!

Cons: light comes out of their chest and that's their main weapon. The aliens don't know earth movies but know things like paparazzi and the game tag. She's an empress but wasn't taught politics, how to speak or read her people's language, wasn't taught how to lead a people or even how to really fight when she is going to be going to
War.
Pros: you're sucked into the story right from the first page! There's action, a little romance, betrayal, some funny parts and creepy enemies. The charact
Tabi Ann
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Read

Once again this author has just amazed me with her story. Laughing, crying, and edge of your seat. Those are the things you need for the perfect story. Although though with the reason for the crying I might have to send her a long whiny message..lol

You can watch as the main character Alina comes into her own as the story goes on. We slowly get to see the Empress underneath shine through. Like me I hope you will enjoy this story and I cannot wait till the next one..

*knock knock* Ms Hi
Nicole Bates
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Coming of age

The young empress escaped her world as it was being over run. Her mind and memories swiped by her mother before she left her home planet. She and her royal companion escaped to Earth. That us, until the Shadows found her. While trying to fight one off, a huge wolf and man helped her. These two were aliens like her. Now, it was time to return and claim her throne. Great book. Very exciting.
Stacey (Sassy Book Lovers)
I'm a huge huge fan of Heather's Dirty Bloody series, so I was looking forward to trying something new from her, and I wasn't disappointed. Heather Hildenbrand's writing is simply captivating, the way she can suck you into another world with her words, it's just mind-blowing!

A book jam-packed full of adventure, action, edge of your seat moments and amazing characters, what's not to love! I was hooked from start to finish and I cannot wait for book 2.

Heather De Los Reyes
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Star struck!

I love the new scifi book! Everything you can imagine a alien fantasy come to life with amazing characters. Interesting villain who you expect but hate so much especially the killings that occur. The author is creating multiple worlds and does such a thorough job describing each one you can clearly imagine what she writes. There is never enough of this and I am waiting anxiously for the next one to be out!
Abi
This was a good book. I liked the main character, I'm a sucker for a good broody boy who has a romantic past with her, and I love a good fantasy (but this is also sci-fi) "take back my kingdom" plot. This book just worked for me, and I recommend it to fans of interesting plots and well written characters. ...more
Lloyd L Wright
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Alina, a girl sent away from her home when she was twelve and doesn't remember anything about it. A sci-fi action story that draws you into the intrigue. And did I mention blue eyes that keep haunting her memory or a terrifying killer that can wield magic. The story captures and holds your interest from the first page. A recommended choice for your reading satisfaction.
Jenae
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Must Read

This is a fantastic book. A young woman forced to flee her home must go back 5 years later and lead them only she has no memories of then other than what she has been told, the only memories she has is of startling blue eyes.
This book is a must read! It's fast paced, well written and you can empathize with the characters.
Courtney  (Book Crazy Lady)
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
***I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review***
This book was not my style. I gave it a try thinking I could get into it as I love Heather Hildenbrands other books. This one was ok, but definitely not my fave. If you are a fan of Fantasy books dealing with other planets, then this book is right up your alley.
I look forward to reading future work from the talented Heather Hildenbrand.
Brandy
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Just ok

The story started off well and hooked me in, but by about halfway through I began losing interest. Once they left Earth the story starts to get some holes and the writing feels a little rushed. Didn't dislike the book just not a fan. Like I said in the title, just ok, a good way to burn a few hours in a light read.
Genevieve Rule
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Could Not Stop Reading it!

This is my FAVORITE book written by Heather Hildenbrand! The only thing I would change is how long it took for me to pick it up and start reading! I wish this series wouldn't end!!
Holly
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've never read a book from the prospective of an alien before. This story was intriguing, the characters relatable, though not human, and I wanted to read the next book as soon as I finished this one. What more could you ask for? ...more
Jennifer Madsen Flores
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, fun read

I loved this story! I was immediately drawn in and read it so fast because I couldn’t wait to find out what would happen next. I will have to check out the next one, this was a great read.
Brittany Goodman
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To be continued

This is the first. The beginning and while it didn't end in a cliffhanger nothing in the story is resolved. Not really. Some things are unveiled but nothing is solved. The danger is just beginning. I can't wait to see how it goes!
Vanessa Rodriguez
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting read

This book was good. Original story line but I felt the writing was a little kiddish. I enjoyed the book and would recommend foot others to read.
Leah Beth
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

An exciting, fun and easy read. I'll be reading the next one for sure to find out what happens next.
Marilyn S.
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stars

I liked this original story of love, sacrifice, growth. It is interesting to see the characters develop, and I look forward to hearing more about this odyssey.
Rebecca Connor
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
😍

I love love loved this book! I don’t think I can wait for September I’m not going to spoil anything you’ll have to read it for yourselves xoxo
Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)
Review coming soon!
Katie S
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an original story!

This was such a great story ! I love the depth of the plot, the worlds created, and the romance (of course).
Kathleen Christensen
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting story

Good world building and character development. Writing was smooth and flowed well between scenes. Was an interesting story with a lot of originality.
Patricia  Moore
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sorry to see this book end!

I reAlly don't like books with tequilas when I cannot afford to buy them. This was a great story. The next should be even better.
Sheela Kean
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! I'm so completely hooked, I need more now! Alina was a great blend of strong and afraid with out going overboard into the category of completely helpless, making her really likeable. Don't even get me started on Xander and the ridiculous amount of tension and love there, they made me blush, giggle and damn near cry. All the characters introduced had individuality, sometimes in YA Scifi or Fantasy you have a hard time keeping up with secondary characters but I had no problems at all ...more
Jude
Jun 30, 2019
cassandra a stagner
Aug 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Awakening (The Equinox Pact #1)
  • Fyr (Celestial Spheres, #1)
  • Not My Romeo (The Game Changers, #1)
  • Hate (Madison Kate, #1)
  • Lost Magic: A Yew Hollow Witch Mystery (A Witch Myth Cozy Mystery Book 7)
  • Scorpion’s Fury  (Metal Legion, #1)
  • Speechless (Unfortunate Souls Book 1)
  • Death Game (Supernatural Battle: Vampire Towers #3)
  • Guardian (The Guardian #1)
  • Crush (Crave, #2)
  • The Missing Prince (Ranger's Apprentice: The Royal Ranger, #4)
  • Marvels and Misfits (Trixie Towers, #1)
  • Blood Trial (Supernatural Battle: Vampire Towers #1)
  • Fallen King (Court of the Sea Fae, #2)
  • Infinity Chronicles: Book Two (Infinity Chronicles #2)
  • The Collector (Children of Titan #0.5)
  • Vampire Debt (Supernatural Battle: Vampire Towers #2)
  • Shadowborn Academy: Year One (Dark Fae Academy #1)
Heather Hildenbrand was born and raised in a small town in northern Virginia where she was homeschooled through high school. (She's only slightly socially awkward as a result.) She writes paranormal and contemporary romance with plenty of abs and angst. Her most frequent hobbies are riding motorcycles and avoiding killer slugs.

You can find out more about Heather and her books at heatherhildenbran

The Starlight Duology (2 books)
  • The Girl Who Ruled The Stars (The Starlight Duology Book 2)