Start by marking “Rainbow Place (Rainbow Place, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rainbow Place (Rainbow Place, #1)

Rainbow Place

(Rainbow Place #1)

Can Jason find the courage he needs to be the man Seb deserves?

When Seb Radcliffe relocates to a seaside town in Cornwall, he feels like a fish out of water. He misses queer spaces and the sense of community he enjoyed when he was living in the city, and decides to open an LGBT-friendly cafe-bar.

Jason Dunn is the builder Seb hires to help renovate the rundown space where
Published June 15th 2018 by Jaybird Press

To ask other readers questions about Rainbow Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainbow Place

Judith
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, british, arc
4 Stars.

Book one in what looks set to be a great new series by Jay Northcote.A beautiful setting,highly likeable characters,a sexy story with a bit of drama.

Seb Radcliffe has started a new chapter in his life in a charming seaside town in Cornwall.With some inheritance money he's decided to open a Cafe/Bar.While he's looking forward to this new venture he realizes he misses some aspects of his London life and decides to make it LGBT friendly.

Jason Dunn is a local builder he hires to do the renov
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
If you're looking for an angst fest or cotton candy, Rainbow Place is not the book. It's neither super angsty nor light and fluffy. It's somewhere in between: a well-written, balanced story featuring a Cornwall setting and two British MCs in their 30s.

Seb has been out and proud since he was a teenager. After inheriting some money from his grandfather, Seb moves to Cornwall from London to open a café. Initially, he doesn't have a theme in mind, but after discussing the concept with his friends (
Jay Northcote
May 26, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
This will be my next release.
It's the first book in a new series. All the books will be standalones like my Housemates series, with new main characters in each story. But they're set in the same universe and many of the side characters will appear in subsequent books - or will get their own stories eventually.

Hope you like the sound of it :)
☆ Todd
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it

After becoming disenchanted with the life he'd been leading in fun and vibrant London, not to mention his recent breakup, Sebastian decided it was time to make a change in his predictable, hum-drum life working for other restaurateurs.

So he moved to Cornwall, a place his family used to go for seaside retreats, for a fresh start. But after being there a short time, he realized that he felt that there was something missing in his new, hetero-centric village life.

A sense of queer community.

With t
Virginia Cavanillas
Shelves: arc, lgbt, my-rambles
Sweet and sexy and very... I don’t know, real? It felt real. And natural. And honest. And cute. And yummy.

This is about an openly gay man who falls for a closeted case in a small town. That’s a trope I enjoy and even if not original in the premise it was great and honest in the execution and storytelling.

Seb, AKA, the gay one: Kind, with a great heart trying to help the queer community in a light but meaningful way. Just by opening a LGBT-friendly café in a beautiful but small Cornish town, he
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
This was a nice start to a new series.

I really liked both Seb and Jason. I'm not a huge fan of books where one of the MCs is deep in the closet, but this one played out pretty good. I *did* want to punch Jason a few times though. But he proved himself by the end.

Nice setting. Likable MCs and secondary characters. Low drama, but enough to keep things interesting. Some steam. Overall an enjoyable, easy read.

Curious to see whose book might be next and if it's someone we already met.
Ky
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
After the Housemates series, Jay did it again!

This time he built a community with an endless supply of potential MCs to feed his future books. It's a wonderful idea for a series and the first installment wet my appetite for the rest.

"Rainbow Place" is the story of how it all began. It's the story of the cafe that is going to be the connecting point for the rest of the books and it takes place before it's even open. Seb wanted to get away from his life in London and decided that the small, seasi
Bev
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited, mm
This is my first Jay Northcote book and I really enjoyed it. I love that it's set in Cornwall, such a beautiful part of the UK. Northcote also gave it a cute, English village feel which really wanted me to take another holiday there.

The angst with Jason still being in the closet wasn't over done. It was kept so real, I felt his struggles, conflict and terror, warring with himself to man up and come out. It breaks my heart that people still have to go through this, to have to justify themselves.
Cadiva
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is an absolute joy to read. I was lucky enough to proof read it but it's just as good on a "proper" read through because - like all books from Jay - it has such a sense of honesty and realness about it.

Whenever I read something Jay's written, I always feel like I'm just peeking into the lives of actual people, in this case two blokes in a seaside Cornish town, finding their way through the maze of a new relationship and dealing with both the good and bad of being part of the LGBTQ+ com
Ariana
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
*3,5 stars*

I really like Jay Northcote and have read loads of his books.

This one though wasn't quite my cup of tea which is mainly due to Jason. I did struggle to fully understand where his extreme phobia of coming out originated. Yes, some explanation was given, but to me it felt somewhat underdeveloped.

Seb, on the other hand, is just so nice and understanding, he almost feels unreal. He does draw the line at one particular moment - and Thank God for that, but then he forgives Jason in the bli
Lelyana
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, arc, from-author, mm

RAINBOW PLACE

I know, a while ago, I told a friend of mine that I'm done with closeted case story. But apparently, Jay knew a way to my heart that not everyone's does.
Know how to write this kind of story that not everyone does.
This is a sweet, adorable story about coming out and struggling with your sexuality for Jason, adjusting with the new place for Seb. Not overly sweet, but with the right portion with some internal problem and their living place.
I know how Seb's feeling about having relation
K.M. Neuhold
Jun 16, 2018 is currently reading it
Wonderful

This book was all sorts of warm fuzzies. Wonderful, low-angst story about coming out and being proud of who you are. Really sweet story.
Joyfully Jay
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

I knew going into this book that it would be fairly low angst, with just enough heft to give the story some weight. Northcote delivers a solid story here. Not too long, but still long enough to really dive into the characters and the story. This wasn’t a perfect book for me, but there were parts I really enjoyed and it was nice read.

So I really enjoyed both characters. Northcote is great at characterization and he has a knack for making characters that seem real.
Emily Seelye
Shelves: arc, m-m
Seb has just moved to Cornwall from London. Distressed that there is no LGBT friendly places nearby, his neighbors convince him to make the new cafe he’s opening a safe place.

Jason is the contractor he hires to turn the space he rented into a cafe/bar. He’s also deeply closeted. Despite this, the two start an affair.

When feelings are engaged, Jason has to decide to come out, or risk losing Seb. While Seb would never force him to come out, and understands his fear, he doesn’t like hiding.

I lik
BR11
3 1/2 stars. Sweet, typical Jay Northcote story. Decent amount of steam and two guys that act their age.
Jill
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.75 Stars
Claire
3.5 stars rounded up

Very pleasant read. This authors always delivers MCs I get attached to. The angst is minimal but realistic, and the writing just flows.
Adam
Tag team review with Ann!

‘Rainbow Place’ is quintessential Jay Northcote! Sweet, sexy, easy-to-read, and leaves you feeling happy.

The book introduces readers to Seb Radcliffe, who moves from London to the Cornish coast to begin a new chapter in his life - opening an LGBT friendly cafe/bar called ‘Rainbow Place’.

description

He knows it won’t be easy, especially not in a small and fairly conservative town, but he’s determined to build a safe place from the local queer community.

I immediately liked S
Apolishedreader
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ku, mm, contemporary, series
Another winner for me by Jay Northcote.

Rainbow nail art!

I like a book with an ex who isn't evil. Adults who can make things work when their relationship didn't work is awesome.
I also now want to try some Cornish Pasties (when I first read that I thought, uh...aren't pasties the things that go over your nipples? I googled it. Google understood my confusion and let me know, on the same page, that I could buy pasties you put over your nipples but I could also drool over the delicious meat-filled p
Elizabeth
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great read. This book was a great road map on how to deal with bigotry and homophobia in Small Town, USA. It is also a good example of what being in the closet or dating someone in the closet is like. It was very sweet and very angst free in some ways. The relationship develops nicely and Seb is just a ray of sunshine.
Very good read. My only complaint is that I wanted more of an HEA but I have a feeling we will see this couple again the books to come in this series so I'm looking forwar
~Kristin~
3.75 Stars
I am a huge Jay Northcote fan, and I really enjoyed most of this one. I guess I just am not a fan of books where one of the main characters is still in the closet. But only because by protecting their secrets they always end up hiring their counterpart.

I’m really looking forward to this series, the secondary characters in this one were pretty great.
Caipi
Adorable story!
I'm looking forward to reading more books from Rainbow Place :)

Sunny
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: brit-love, m-m, ku
I'm not a fan of in the closet plot lines, but my patience was rewarded with this heartwarming story.
Jenny Wood
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
So, I think I seem to be a minority on this one.
I was really on the fence.....
Seb seems to be one of the only out gay men in his town, everyone else seems to be deep in the closet, wanting to be discreet or way too young for him. So, at the insistence of his out and proud married neighbors, after running an idea by them, he decides to make the cafe he was going to open, an LGBT+- friendly cafe. I loved the idea of this, man, if there were more places like this, especially in smaller communities
Lily
A great start to a new series. It was both intriguing and inspiring. I liked the set up in this Cornish community, the emergence of the new cafe/bar, and the introduction of the key players who will no doubt play a role in future stories.

I particularly liked the two main characters, Seb and Jason, and how they moved from their initial attraction to flirting to f-buddies to a relationship. There were some super hot scenes between these guys.

Jason’s insecurity and struggle with his sexuality prov
Mercedes
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Let’s just say Seb is more forgiving than I am.
Bev
3.5 stars rounded up from me. Not a bad start to a new series from Jay.
Katie
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Oh wow! Where to start?

Seb is an openly gay man who has moved from London to the seaside town in Cornwall after a breakup. He expected from the town to not have a thriving queer community, but he didn’t realise just how bad it can be. Luckily he ends up being a neighbour of a lesbian couple with whom he becomes friends.

During one of their conversations, the idea of Rainbow Place is born. A specifically queer/LGBT-friendly place in an environment that doesn’t have it yet, but sorely needs it.

Jaso
Erica Chilson
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 Stars

Rainbow Place is the debut novel in a brand-new series by Jay Northcote.

Seb is out and proud, looking to start a new cafe/safe space for the LGBTQ community in the small town he just moved into, and he's worried about the reception he may get by the townsfolk. Singed by a past love who cheated on him and left him for a younger man, Seb is attempting to make a fresh start, a second chance at finding happiness. He's looki
Chris, the Dalek King
After moving to a small town in Cornwall, Seb Radcliffe finds himself for the first time since he came out rather bereft of a queer community. Sure his next door neighbors are a lovey lesbian couple, but outside the three of them the town seems to be staffed full of straight people and/or people still stuck firmly in the closet. After an off-hand joke about how he should turn his soon-to-open cafe/pub into “My Gay Cafe” Seb finds himself rather intrigued by the idea. He would love to create a pl ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Junkyard Heart (Porthkennack, #7)
  • Stuff (The Bristol Collection, #2)
  • Be My Best Man
  • Blue Eyed Stranger (Trowchester Blues, #2)
  • Eight Nights in December
  • Better Not Pout
  • One Under (Porthkennack, #9)
  • Man of the Match
  • Fusion (North Star #2)
  • Exit Plans for Teenage Freaks
  • Desperately Seeking Santa
  • Deep Edge (Harrisburg Railers, #3)
  • Edge of Forever
I don't hang out on Goodreads much, so if you'd like to connect with me then Twitter, Facebook or an email is usually best :) All my contact details are on my website.

Jay lives just outside Bristol in the West of England. He comes from a family of writers, but always used to believe that the gene for fiction writing had passed him by. He spent years only ever writing emails, articles, or website c

Rainbow Place (4 books)
  • Safe Place (Rainbow Place, #2)
  • Better Place (Rainbow Place, #3)
  • Mud & Lace (Rainbow Place, #4)
“I should get over it and go back to pining over celebrities instead. At least they’re completely unobtainable so it’s less depressing when they don’t like me back.” 3 likes