Start by marking “Let's Talk Money” as Want to Read:
Let's Talk Money

Let's Talk Money

We work hard to earn our money. But regardless of how much we earn, the money worry never goes away. Bills, rent, EMIs, medical costs, vacations, kids' education and, somewhere at the back of the head, the niggling thought about being under-prepared for our own retirement. Wouldn't it be wonderful if our money worked for us just as we work hard for it? What if we had a pro ...more
Published June 2018 by Harper Business

To ask other readers questions about Let's Talk Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let's Talk Money

Start your review of Let's Talk Money
Ankit Kulkarni
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ankit by: Amber Jain
I would say a must read. A lot of financial mistakes what Monika has highlighted are done by the majority of people. However, this is one of the best getting started guide for starting with managing your own finance.

One thing I really miss in the book is a single summary chapter of do's and don'ts. For someone from without a finance background, there is too much information(all easy) but too much to remember. Would recommend taking notes while reading or a checklist else its easy to forget impo
Manas Saloi
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must read for everyone. If anyone talks personal finance to me going forward I will just send them this book's link

Anyone who sees this review please get the book asap!
Mohammad Safdar
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is easily the most relevant personal finance book from an Indian perspective. I was scared it’ll be either too lengthy or too jargon-filled but it was surprisingly none.

With a money box analogy, Monika Halan draws a clear-cut plan for the Indian middle class, gives enough reasons to follow it through personal anecdotes, debunks myths about insurance, investing and others - all in less than 200 pages!

And no, you do not need to be at the start of your career to make the most out of this book
Raghavendra
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best personal finance management book out there for an Indian

The type of book you wish you had picked up earlier! Not many financial books are written keeping the Indian context of families or the typical Indian mindset. This book does a fantastic job of dispelling some myths we Indians have financially,gives a clear roadmap on how to manage our money.

I almost facepalmed during the insurance chapter when the obvious fact hit me, insurance is not equal to investment. Some great myths about i
Sindhura
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sindhura by: Krushidhar Lekkala
I have seriously started to consider doing something with my money in the year 2017-2018. I wish I had read this book when it came out. But at least, I read it now. Some of the things in this book I figured out the hard way and some of them are still eye-opening. Simply and efficiently, Monika Halan talks about money - information and advice gathered from her education, work, and personal experiences. She talks about setting financial goals and gives you some directions on how to achieve them, a ...more
Barun Patra
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Immensely relevant for someone starting out on a journey to read about Personal Finance. Easy to understand, covers a wide range of topics with interesting examples. Feels like a one on one discussion with Monika where she answers all my beginner questions
Abhishek Sarda
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for personal finance. Do read and follow the tips mentioned by Author.
Karthikeyan SD
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must-read book for anyone who has started earning and aspires to have a control over their finances.
I cannot recommend this book enough!
Tatsuhiro Sato
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Star
I wish I could have at least one of my parents like Monika Halan. Probably then from such wise financial lessons from them, I at my present age 22 would have been financially sound, growing and not unemployed, almost broke like now. This is a wonderful book, that every 16 yo/high school Indian kid must read and try to apply as his/her life progress. Thank you, Monika Mam, for writing this book. This book could be read as a first step towards good financial health and growth.
Vivek
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you want to understand about investment, health policy, life insurance, MF etc. in a very simple way read this book. You don't need to read this book if you are an expert in investment.
In my opinion this book should be gifted with first job offer letter. Most of us don't understand our financial health and assume that we know. Except a few, most of us are wrong. This book will give you a list of do's and don'ts while you make any investments.

"I should have read this book earlier" that's what
Parth Kapadia
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Personal finance 101. And tailored to the modern Indian context.
Nishanth Vijayan
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good introduction to financial planning in the Indian context aimed at noobs like me
Shivaansh Agarwal
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
This is my second book on personal finance after "Master your Money Master your Life" - by Abhishek Kumar. Both the authors have clearly given more emphasis on getting the thought-process and the basics about money right in order to be financially secure and grow your wealth as you age.

Amongst the two authors, Monika Halan has addressed every topic more in-depth up to a level a novice in the world of finance-related jargon could comprehend.

The author paints a complete roadmap of how a successful
Sagar Chamoli
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Finally a book on personal finance by Indian Author keeping Indian Audience in mind!!!

I have read quite a few personal finance book but noticed most of them were written keeping foreign audience in mind. Not that those books are bad, but i always wanted to read the book which is written keeping Indian context in mind & there couldn't be a better book than this. What's even cherry in cake is that this book is written keeping the digital transformation that our country has gone through, so all the
Milan
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: money, india, non-fiction
I have been reading articles written by Monika Halan since the time she used to write for Outlook Money. Now she writes for Mint and I still read her. This is a perfect book for any one starting with their financial planning or wants to understand the financial products being sold in India. The book provides a rough map for one's financial journey. She talks about tracking expenses and incomes, investing in equity, mutual funds, provident funds, having adequate insurance of various types, having ...more
Utkarsh Sinha
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: skills
A great book to read if you find yourself feeling clueless about financial products. And most of us are. There are tons of financial products - insurance, investment, deposits etc. and this book introduces you to all of them, the riders you should be aware of, what type goals to map these products to.

There will be parts of the book which will appear redundant because you may be more familiar with certain investment products, but don't discount the book's ability to teach you something important
Arnab Padhi
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Are you trying to plan your finances?
Bad at saving money?
Procrastinating about investing?

There there is a very strong reason to read this one. This one dis make an impact on my life. The way I manage my finance , saving and expenditure.
Dhruv Mittal
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read book for learning how to manage your personal finances.
Unlike other popular personal finance books (mostly by western authors), this book is more relatable and useful as it has been written specifically for Indian audience.
Alokita
Jul 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Simplified and actionable money goals. One will need further reading to understand some topics in depth, that is if they want to. Other than that, a good measure to check how much financial maturity one possesses.
Chinmay Naik
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you're an Indian starting reading up on Personal Finance, this would be one of the first books I'd recommend. Even though this being Finance, Monika's writing is fresh, pleasant to read and even quirky when it needs to. In terms of value, it gives some really good advice. Sections like how to choose health insurance are insanely helpful.
Njoinlife
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good read for money management newbies.
Paritosh Vaidya
Must read!
Shilpa
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-read-shelf
Highly recommend it for anyone who would like to manage their finances better and get a crash course on different jargons related to finance. As a new professional, this book has helped me break the ice with a variety of investment and saving options available in India. I probably might get the hardcopy and reread it again since there are many important topics that can take time to understand. Extremely thankful to the author for writing this book!
Vibhor Dhote
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Let's Talk Money by Monika Halan is a beginner-level book in personal finance. Personally, there was little that was new for me apart from the chapters on 'medical insurance' and 'will', but it's a good book for anyone who wants to learn the basics of personal finance in the Indian context.
Monika Sharma
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book to clear your basic financial doubts and understand the difference between insurances and investments. She has explained all the jargons of financial world in a simple layman terms. It's worth reading for every person who wants his or her future self to thanks themselves later.
SAHIL JAIN
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS NOT A GET RICH QUICK BOOK.

Anyone from the non-finance background tired of sales agents taking you for a ride, this is the most comprehensive yet jargon free book on retail financial products I've ever come across in the Indian context.

PS: this book might be too basic for people from the finance industry but I would still recommend everyone to read it so you can understand how to create or understand a healthy financial plan for yourself.

About this book: Rather than thinking of "what to
Rakshit Mahajan
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the best book to get the basic knowledge of investment and financial planning. She explained very well. I used to Google about all investment things but didn't find the right topic but this book is a one stop. She will tell you all the information and the way to make you financially strong.
Sharad Jain
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audibles
This is a basic but must-read book on planning personal finances and savings. I would highly recommend sitting with a pen and paper noting down tasks.
Ravi Sridharan

• 108 Questions & Answers on Mutual Funds & SIP
  • From the Rat Race to Financial Freedom
  • 13 Steps to Bloody Good Wealth
  • The Rudest Book Ever
  • How to Avoid Loss and Earn Consistently in the Stock Market: An Easy-To-Understand and Practical Guide for Every Investor
  • The Dhandho Investor: The Low-Risk Value Method to High Returns
  • Catalyst: The ultimate strategies on how to win at work and in life
  • Why I Stopped Wearing My Socks
  • It Happened In India: The Story of Pantaloons, Big Bazaar, Central and the Great Indian Consumer
  • The Autobiography Of A Stock
  • Flirting with Stocks: Stock Market Investing for Beginners
  • Don't Lose Your Mind, Lose Your Weight
  • Inspiring Thoughts
Monika Halan is consulting editor and part of the leadership team at Mint. A certified financial planner, she has served as editor of Outlook Money and worked in some of India's top media organizations, including the Indian Express, the Economic Times and Business Today. She has run four successful TV series around personal finance advice, on NDTV, Zee and Bloomberg India, and is a regular speaker ...more

News & Interviews