Start by marking “The Stupids Die (The Stupids, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Stupids Die (The Stupids, #3)

The Stupids Die

(The Stupids #3)

The Stupid family thinks they are dead when the lights go out.
Published April 29th 1985 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Stupids Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stupids Die

Start your review of The Stupids Die (The Stupids, #3)
Jim Erekson
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
When Bela came home from school one day in first grade, she said that a boy got in trouble for saying the 's' word. We asked, "Which s-word'?" Stupid! was the reply. Some strange cultural undercurrent made this word into a no-no in primary education in the 1990s and this book was and is still the antidote. When will teachers and parents learn that making a word into a tabu only makes it all the more enticing to use on the sly?

This book is the perfect antidote! But the story is only part of it. It's th
Adrienne Pettinelli
"This isn't heaven," said Grandfather. "This is Cleveland."
Larry-bob Roberts
May 22, 2009 marked it as to-read
“That’s the only thing I truly envy Jim for,” Sendak laments. “Deep envy. I think The Stupids Die is the best title ever. I can’t forgive him for having that title. I used to tell him that. I bought the original poster for the book, and it hangs in one of my rooms.”
Asho
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I will try to like this book, and the whole stupid series, because I know my husband enjoyed them as a child and I predict my son will get a kick out of them once he is old enough to understand what the word "stupid" means. However, I am in no hurry to teach him how to use the word "stupid," and as an adult woman I find this book sophomoric rather than entertaining, so for now it sits on the shelf.
Flash
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Klelly
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dione Basseri
Oh wow...wow...this is painful in all new ways....

So, I read this book because of its place on the ALA's most-frequently challenged books list. I'm big on maintaining library collections in the face of those who would demand books be removed due to some perceived slight. This doesn't mean always buying new copies--some of the books are, in themselves--not very good. But it means not allowing small groups to determine what society as a whole can read.

The Stupids are way up
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I think this is a Stupid book. In fact, I'm absolutely correct.
I like the second book the best so far, but I still have to read book four. Actually, I thought there was only 3 books because by the title, it sounded like this was the end of the Stupid Family.
(view spoiler)
Even though The Stupids Die is my least favorite of the Stupid series so far, it is my favorite Stupid title of the series :-)
Masuma Khan
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is really hilarious. I really liked it. The Stupids Die talks about a very very odd family who always wish something stupid would happen every single day. The best part was the end, I think you should read it!
orangerful
May 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I like Children's books that are humorous and weird and The Stupids fits into both of those categories. In 'The Stupids Die', the power goes out in their home and the Stupids assume that perhaps they have passed on. LOLtastic for older elementary school kids.
Marilyn Mercado
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book.This book is all about one STUPID family that didnt think right.The humans slept under the bed and the animals slept on top.The STUPID family thought that it wasnt stupid.
Ruth
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you haven't read The Stupids, then you are.
Wendy
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
it was weird what the people did in the book but it was a funny book i liked it

Cruz Montesdeoca
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
i thought it was funny but it rushed the ending to much and it was more silly than funny.yet i still enjoyed it all though it is not my favorite.
Kaylin
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought the book was ok because it's all little funny but in the same time annoying.
Layla Rodriguez
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
so funny and they had the stupidest family ever but the grandmas is some how smart
Gregory Walters
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I may as well start with something stupid. Actually, four Stupids. This is not a literary picture book. There are no award stickers blocking the puffy cover images of Mr. and Mrs. Stupid and their dim children, Petunia and Buster. They gather in the living room to stare intently at the blank screen of an unplugged television. They sleep under the bed. Buster mows the rug while Petunia uses a sprinkler to water the house plants. It should come as no surprise that, when the power goes out, Mr. Stu ...more
Jasmyne Gunter
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I didn't really like this book too much. It's suppose to be funny, but I didn't really find it that funny. I guess it would be better for younger children, as it is intended. I think there are a few reasons why this book is on the banned list. The first being because a lot of kids now of days are taught and believe that stupid is a bad word and shouldn't be used. The word is used repeatedly in this book. Stupid is also the name of the family in the book, which implies that they are stupid. I can ...more
Robert Beveridge
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Harry Allard, The Stupids Die (Houghton Mifflin, 1981)

I stumbled upon this, which turns out to be the third in a series, at my local library's book sale a couple of months ago and couldn't resist it based on the title. I wasn't sure it was going to end up being age-appropriate for the bean (or any kid, really) for the same reason, but it ended up being fine. My son (seventeen months) is too young to get all the cognitive disjunct here, but the early-school crowd should find it hilari
Oak Lawn Public Library - Youth Services
Lexile Level: 380L
Pages: 31

Summary: A humorous story about the Stupid Family. The Stupid family seems to do everything wrong and when the lights go off and it gets dark inside their house they think they are dead. Fortunately the Stupid’s dog, cat, and grandfather are not stupid and they get the lights back on to save the day. This book contains my favorite line in all of literature “This isn’t heaven, this is Cleveland."

Recommendations or Comments: Challengers of t
Josiah
Jan 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
This is a very funny book, quite probably the funniest in the series about The Stupids, I'd say. The Stupids Die is a book that seems to have been written purely for its entertainment value, as is the case with the other three books, but something about the presentation of the comedy in the series always serves to charm me. Even if I don't love these stories I certainly like them, and a part of me is sad that we have likely seen the last adventure of this unique family.
Cana
Jul 14, 2008 rated it did not like it
Here's why my Mom didn't like it:
1- Repeated use of the word Stupid (the family's last name), which is a banned word at our household.
2- They die? Even though they don't actually die, that's kind of macabre for preschoolers!

The concept is pretty funny though, in an Amelia Bedilia kind of way. They mow the rug, etc. Kids find that hilarious. But my Mom can't get past her dislike of the word Stupid.
Shannon Brasher
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, fun
Another story about the Stupids from Harry Allard and James Marshall. This time when the power goes out and then comes back on, the stupids think they have died and gone to heaven. I don't know that I would use this for a particular lesson or a read aloud, but I would have it in my classroom library. Students will enjoy reading about this family and how silly they are!
Auna
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
A very interesting title for a very interesting book... It's an older book and I could see it being used to help kids understand when saying some words is appropriate and inappropriate. The artwork is just as interesting as the rest of the book. I'd like to say its a good book, but I'm just not sure
Olivia
Oct 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: silly
This story, which is part of a series, is similar to Amelia Bedelia, but slightly more crude. Parents might object to the type of humor in the book, but young kids, especially boys, might be more attracted to it. The anticipation of what happens next, at the very least could maintain their interest. Also, it should be noted that no one actually dies.
Samantha
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it
The Stupid family lives a normal day that they believe is their last. When the power goes out the Stupids believe they have died and when their pets fix a broken fuse they believe they have arrived in Heaven.

A silly read aloud filled with illustrations with added stupid things that kids love to point out.
Hannah
Recommends it for: My sister
Recommended to Hannah by: Ms. Vigilante
I really liked it. It was really funny, even the pictures in the background were so funny. I liked that they thought they were dead when the lights were just off. It was so funny when they acted so stupid!
The Styling Librarian
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Stupids Die by Harry Allard, pictures by James Marshall - I always enjoyed reading The Stupids series by Harry Allard. I especially read them since they are banned books. Was happy to find at a used bookstore and purchase for my library! My son thought the book was quite the riot!
Jessica
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: stupid children and their stupid caretakers
This book is called THE STUPIDS DIE!

This book made me laugh so hard as a child that I was permanently injured, and my organs never developed properly.

P.S. Don't worry, they don't really die, so it's okay for kids, not like Bambi or something.
BookSweetie
Just thinking about this book, ALWAYS makes me smile. What can I say? My sense of humor is as warped as this book.

I'm bummed that the illustrator James Marshall is dead. He was definitely one of my favorites.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Brief Thief
  • Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't)
  • Red Riding Hood
  • Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants (Captain Underpants, #4)
  • The Sad Little Fact
  • Six-Dinner Sid
  • Tadpole's Promise
  • Z Is for Moose
  • A Pet for Petunia
  • The Dumb Bunnies (The Dumb Bunnies, #1)

The Stupids (4 books)
  • The Stupids Step Out (The Stupids, #1)
  • The Stupids Have a Ball (The Stupids, #2)
  • The Stupids Take Off (The Stupids, #4)