Jump to ratings and reviews

Holiday Brides #2

Summer Bride

From USA Today Bestselling Author Shanna Hatfield Two octogenarians won’t stop until they make a match. . .

Sage Presley loves her job as the receptionist at Golden Skies Retirement Village in Holiday, Oregon. She enjoys the residents and their wisdom, even if some of them are more than a little quirky. Determined to ignore the matchmaking efforts of two women at the retirement home, Sage’s sole focus is on raising her brother, Shane. In spite of her best efforts, she can’t help but notice the hunky electrician who continually comes to her rescue.

Grateful for the opportunity to open his own electrical business, Justin James moves to Holiday full of plans and dreams. He’s quickly drawn in by the close-knit community, but finds the lack of suitable single women disturbing. Despite himself, his attention is captured by the receptionist at the retirement home where he’s working on a big job. Yet, he can’t begin to understand why two matchmaking octogenarians are intent on forcing him together with the woman he’s convinced is married.

A sweet romance novella sprinkled with humor, hope, and the meaning of real love, Summer Bride will warm the hearts of readers while bringing them a smile.

Scroll up and order your copy today!

239 pages, Kindle Edition

Published July 12, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Shanna Hatfield

121 books1,176 followers
A hopeless romantic with a bit of sarcasm thrown in for good measure, Shanna Hatfield is a best-selling author of clean romantic fiction written with a healthy dose of humor.

In addition to blogging and eating too much chocolate, she is completely smitten with her husband, lovingly known as Captain Cavedweller.

Shanna creates character-driven romances with realistic heroes and heroines. Her historical westerns have been described as “reminiscent of the era captured by Bonanza and The Virginian” while her contemporary works have been called “laugh-out-loud funny, and a little heart-pumping sexy without being explicit in any way.”

She is a member of Western Writers of America, Women Writing the West, and Romance Writers of America.

To learn more about Shanna or the books she writes, visit her blog http://shannahatfield.com
or find out news at her facebook page

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (<1%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 59 reviews
Profile Image for Glenda Kinard.
223 reviews4 followers
July 17, 2018
Omg once again I am in awe of another Great Book by the Wonderful Talented Highly Gifted Shanna Hatfield!! Summer Bride was just to good for words I could go on and on with high praises for Summer Bride. I loved visiting Holiday again and getting to visit the Golden Skies aka HPH
You will just have to read if you want to know what HPH stands for. I love that the eccentric Matilda and the classical Ruth were also in this story from Valentine Bride. These two misfit Octogenarians bring such a lively mixture of humor and shenanigans to the story. Was so glad to see Flynlee and Carson also enjoying their HEA also from Valentine Bride. I love books that carryover characters you have fallen in love with go from one book to the next so that you get sneak peeks into how their lives are progressing. Now for the Wonderful main story of Summer Bride. Sage and Shane are pkg of brokenness that Sage thinks no man would ever want to take on much less love her and accept her younger brother also to help raise so she has always guarded her heart and never even let any man get anywhere close for they always ran anyway when she mentions she comes with a younger brother. Then one day an electrician walks into Golden Skies Retirement Home where Sage works as a receptionist and Ooohh at the sparks that go off when she meets Justin James convinced he too would never accept her as a pkg deal. Sage tries dearly to guard her heart but Justin volts his way in. Justin is Determined to tear down the Wall Sage has built around her but some Walls aren’t easily torn down. Can Justin tear down the and convince Sage that he loves her and will accept and love Shane as a younger brother as much as she does? Will Sage finally let the perfect for her Justin in and believe he really truly wants and loves her for who she is broken and all and the pkg of her younger brother also?? Summer Bride is one book a reader will be glad to have read to get these answers. I laughed, cried and cheered for Sage, Justin and Shane in this story. Shanna Hatfield has just gave me another book to love and wonderful characters that are so real to me they hold a piece of my heart. Thank You Shanna for another wonderful book!!
1,289 reviews27 followers
Summer Bride by Shanna Hatfield
Meddling Matchmakers
My rating is 5 stars

When Justin bought his business and house, he inherited an eccentric cat, Crosby (if cats can be eccentric, that is). I loved reading about Crosby and his idiosyncrasies. He reminds me quite a bit of Felix, the cat who visits us, with the exception that Crosby is scared of mice. The fact that Justin happily accepted him and took over his care was just one of the examples of what a great guy Justin is.

So, Justin. He’s smart, handsome, compassionate, and patient. What’s not to like? His longing for love was so sweet, and I loved that his list of what he was looking for in a woman had nothing to do with appearance. The opening of the book with him wondering, “What’s a guy gotta do to get a girl in this town?” led to some fun ribbing from the construction workers he was with and some pretty funny suggestions. Fortunately for Justin, he didn’t have to resort to any of their ideas with Tilly and Ruth around.

If you read Valentine Bride by Shanna Hatfield, you met Ruth and Tilly. They are the scheming elderly women living at the retirement home where Sage works and they love to play matchmakers. And they are a fun pair. I am hoping that Ruth will get her own story at some point in time. . .

Sage is my heroine. Despite an almost tragic childhood, she was a woman of honor. She sacrificed her own wants and needs to care for her younger brother, Shane. She was convinced that no man could ever want both of them and resolved to remain single until Shane was on his own. The essay Shane wrote reflected her personality so well and was incredibly sweet and sensitive for a pre-teen boy!

I read a lot of stories by Shanna Hatfield. In fact, each time I see she has a new one coming out, I am so glad. As with her other books, this story is a combination of witty, tender, romantic, and swoony.

This review was originally posted on Among the Reads

I would like to thank Shanna Hatfield for giving me a copy of this book. This gift did not influence my opinion or review.
Profile Image for Robbie .
417 reviews39 followers
July 13, 2018
I LOVE to read sequels to books, especially when there are delightfully quirky characters like Matilda and Ruth (you may remember them from Valentine Bride). Chills of excitement ran through me when I saw the second Holiday Brides Book by Shanna Hatfield was being released, and I wasn’t disappointed.

Summer Bride returns to Golden Skies Retirement Village in Holiday, Oregon, where Sage Presley works as a receptionist and Justin James is working as a temporary electrician. Leave it to resident’s Ruth and Matilda’s matchmaking antenna to sense two lonely people. They then get busy, enlisting others, to help with their matchmaking. A persnickety cat and an adorable baby calf named Fred Asteer add to the enjoyment and help with the matchmaking, too.

There is only one problem with their plan; Sage decided long ago that as long as she has Shane, her teenage brother, to care for, she is NOT getting romantically involved with someone, and she’s definitely not getting married.

A cute, fun read, not without it’s serious and sometimes sad moments, Summer Bride is one story you don’t want to miss.

The end of the book includes information on how the parts of the book came into being-an interesting and enlightening addition.

I received an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) of the book. However, I was under no obligation to post a review.
Profile Image for Jeffrey.
365 reviews22 followers
July 23, 2018
Watch out! The two elderly matchmakers from the author's Valentine Bride (Holiday Brides book 1) are at it again. Retirement home ladies Ruth and Matilda can't help themselves as they scheme to match two more deserving young people together. Sage Presley works at the retirement home as a receptionist. Justin James is the head electrician finishing a new wing on the facility. The attraction between these two is immediate but Ruth and Matilda think they need a little push. Thinking Sage is already married (is that a wedding ring on her hand?) but wondering how a young lady can have a son already a teenager? So, begins a game of "approach-avoidance" by Justin and Sage. Meet the lovable characters from Valentine Bride again and savor the sweet but difficult romance between Justin and Sage. Poor Sage has, thus far, lived a life full of privation and difficulty. Justin, new to the area, wants to share his life and nobody else will do. How on earth can they overcome such obstacles? A contemporary romance full of humor, heart and possibilities.
Profile Image for Jessie.
1,185 reviews63 followers
July 17, 2018
A Sweet Summer Read

I loved it all! Justin and Sage meet while both working at the local retirement community. Justin is drawn to Sage, but mistakenly thinks she is married. The local matchmakers get involved, puzzling Justin as to why they would try to throw him together with a married woman.
I loved Matilda’s antics!
Sage and Justin were a cute couple. I loved the way that Justin involved Sage’s younger brother, Shane. I cannot get enough of these characters! I would love to see what happens in Shane’s life when he grows up.

Content: clean (some kisses, and a giant mouse that is probably going to give me nightmares)
Profile Image for Jerri.
94 reviews2 followers
Justin, Sage and Shane's story

Shanna Hatfield has put together a humorous story with a mystery interwoven as the sweetest romance blooms. And there is a new star, Fred Asteer along with his Ginger. Cannot leave out Matilda and Ruth that bring you to tears laughing. Crosby the cat does not take a lesser role either. After a near tragic incident, Sage opens up again to Justin. Shane expresses his approval. Read what comes to pull your heart strings. The ending will require tissues.
Profile Image for Stephanie Jenkins Ortiz Cerrillo.
372 reviews10 followers
July 24, 2018
What a refreshing, sweet love story. Not to mention that it has many giggles within. I'm so happy I read this book. It has renewed my belief that there can be happily ever after's and knights in shining armor. I just fell in love with these characters and hope to see them in future Holiday books by Shanna Hatfield!
1,915 reviews8 followers
April 18, 2019
Sage Presley loves her job as the receptionist at Golden Skies Retirement Village in Holiday, Oregon. Quite frankly, I was bored.
Profile Image for Aisling Cooper.
183 reviews25 followers
July 18, 2018
Reviewed on Behalf of 3 Degrees of Fiction Book Blogs

I loved this book and it was a great sequel. It was great to be able to visit holiday and the Golden Skies again.

I loved that Matilda and Ruth who are part of Valentines Bride were part of the story as they brought humour and mischief and that we got to see Flynlee and Carson (also from Valentines Bride) finally get their HEA.
I love books that use the same characters as secondary characters in the next book as you get to see how they are doing and how lives change for them too.

Save and Shane are both broken. Sage believes that no man would want to go out with her or could ever love her except for her brother that she raised on her own and in the past people haven’t accept that her and her brother come as part of a package.

That is until she meets Justin James whilst working as a receptionist from a nursing home. Sages walls automatically go up and Justin tries to break them down but when Sage has lived like this for years it takes time to break those defences down.

Justin tried to tear the walls down and prove that he does love Sage and that Justin’s younger brother is family.

When Sage finally lets her walls down Shane who is Justin’s brother Shane shows up also trying to prove that she should love him as he already loves her things get complicated.

Summer brides is a great book to read and it makes you laugh, cry and want to throw the book or kindle at some points in the book. Well done Shanna for bringing this book to life!
Profile Image for Dorothy Roller.
473 reviews3 followers
July 12, 2018
This story is so good and funny that had me really cracking up. It is taking place mostly in a retirement center and two of the women are sort of matchmakers and one is a bit crazy and hilarious.
The receptionist has caught the eye of the new electrician who is working in the new wing and he just wants to find a good woman to settle down with.
This is a good story about problems in their past and a romance that includes a half brother as part of the package but she doesn’t want a relationship since her brother has to come first.
You will laugh hard, almost cry at times and fall in love with a crazy cat named Crosby and a new calf named Fred Asteer.
This contemporary story is a really good and short read and will grab your attention from the beginning and you won’t want to put it down. Ms. Hatfield can really write great and complex characters that will just make you fall in love with them. She most of the time adds fun animals to the story like she did in this one and some things come from her own life that have happened. That makes if fascinating to read even thought you don’t know that fact until the end.
I highly recommend this fun story to anyone that likes to laugh and love wonderfully put together romances that have all that you could want in them and clean as well.
I received this ARC to read with no expectations to do a review but I loved this story and I wanted to do a review and this is my honest and unbiased opinion.
Profile Image for Julie Jobe.
259 reviews
July 12, 2018
Matilda and Ruth strike again! I really enjoy this novella series by Shanna Hatfield. Matilda, Ruth, and their crazy antics really make the books so much fun! You never know what they’re going to do and when they do something, it’ll most likely make you laugh out loud. I also enjoy seeing just how different they are, but how rich and long standing their friendship has been. In addition to these wild human characters, there’s a seriously funny animal character or two in this novella that only add to the zany factor of the book. And the romance—as always a sweet clean romance with characters you’re rooting for to find their happy ending. I love the way Hatfield’s heroes treat the women in their lives, and Justin is no exception in this sweet novella. He pretty much makes me want to swoon! :) Another great novella!
PS—I highly recommend checking out Ms. Hatfield’s tidbits of info in her Author’s Note at the end of the book. She shares some of her inspirations for the story and they’re a lot of fun to read.
**I received an e-copy of this book from the author and have chose to review it. All opinions are my own, honest opinions.**
Profile Image for Kathy Wideman.
2,115 reviews25 followers
July 20, 2018
This is the second book in this series but they can be read as standalones. I haven’t read the first one and wasn’t confused or lost at all. This book is a sweet, romance novella. I read it in once sitting. It is a clean romance with just a few stolen kisses. Sage works at a retirement village and loves her job. Two of the ladies that live there are trying to play matchmakes between Sage and Justin an electrician. Sage’s focus is raising her brother. Justin is interested in Sage but thinks she is married and has a teenage son. She doesn’t look old enough to have a teenage son but maybe she is just aging really well. This book is an interesting read. I love the two older ladies who play matchmaker. They are hilarious and so caring. Justin is such a sweet caring man. He wants to show Sage that he wants her and accepts her brother is part of the deal. Sage is torn between the duty she feels for her brother and how she feels for Justin. I enjoyed reading this book. It is cleaner than the books I normally read but still a good read. I want to read the first book in this series and have added to my tbr list already. If you like clean sweet romances than this book is for you.
Profile Image for Linda R.
183 reviews
April 9, 2022
Sage Presley and her 13-year-old brother, Shane, were abandoned by their parents and grew up in foster care. When Sage turned eighteen, she became Shane's legal guardian, devoting her whole life to raising him. They moved to the town of Holiday, Oregon, where Sage took a job as the receptionist for Golden Skies Retirement Village to support them.

Justin James, a master electrician, is excited to move to Holiday to open his own business. When Golden Skies decides to build a new wing, they hire Justin to do the electrical work. Finding someone to share his life with does not look as promising as Justin mistakenly believes the only woman he is attracted to is married.

With some help from resident matchmakers Matilda and Ruth, love is right around the corner. The two ladies make sure Justin learns Sage is single, and they also encourage Sage to give Justin a chance despite being afraid to trust someone not to leave her.

Book 2, Summer Bride, in Shanna Hatfield's Holiday Brides series, is a sweet, funny, and romantic story. The author's detailed descriptions, especially of the wedding, complete the beauty of this novella.

I purchased a paperback copy of this book.
1,271 reviews10 followers
July 7, 2018
I adored this book!
It's a delightful & touching story.
Justin is new to Holiday. He is the
town's new electrician. Working at
Golden Skies Retirement Village,
he see's Sage there everyday.
When he finally gets the curious to ask
her out, Justin see's that she has a son.
Sage has been raising her brother
for the pass five years. Sage & Shane
are both happy with their life in Holiday.
She's prime focus is caring for
her brother.
Slowly Justin breaks down Sage's
walls, & becomes close to both her
& Shane. But she's not ready to add someone else in the their family.
Summer Bride is an engaging,
feel good romance. Great characters
& romance makes it the perfect
summer read.
A MUST READ FOR EVERYONE!!!
Profile Image for claire jones.
149 reviews1 follower
July 9, 2018
A sweet natured book about a young woman learning how to trust. Sage has not had a good upbringing and has taken on the responsibility of the r young half brother Shane. Justin is new in town and just wants to meet a nice young woman.
The two elderly matchmakers, from Valentine Bride, are back at their manipulative best trying to steer the couple together. Both are fun, humorous characters who add worldly wisdom combined with childlike glee to the proceedings.
Although Sages story is quite tragic it did not make this story seem too depressing. A very sweet short novella that can be read in just over an hour, so s perfect relaxing read.
I voluntarily agreed to read an advanced copy of this book.
Profile Image for Candy Laine.
Author 5 books6 followers
July 24, 2018
At the Golden Skies Retirement Village in Holiday, Oregon it's time for the matchmaking seniors to bring another couple together. Sage is the receptionist as what her friends refer to as the Hokey Pokey Hotel. She's got her hands full taking care of her teenage brother. She has no plans to start a relationship or get involved with anyone.
Justin has just relocated to Holiday and loves the small town. He's had to opportunity to buy himself a ready made electrician's business and he is happy making new friends. The only thing bothering him is the lack of women to date! Well he need not worry because the octogenarians at the retirement village have already slotted a girl for him.
Loved the tomato soup scene!
Profile Image for Julia David.
1,832 reviews15 followers
July 9, 2018
Loved Sage, Justin and Shane. From the beginning, Justin just gets Sage and knows that she and Shane are a package deal. Sage is raising her brother and has not had time to date anyone. Shane takes all of her time. Until Justin shows up. Justin is ready to settle down and Sage seems just like the kind of woman he wants to settle down with, except he thinks she is married. Sage thinks it is easier when men thinks she is married. She won't have to turn them down when they ask her out. With the help of a couple of spunky old ladies and a calf named Fred Asteer, Justin and Sage learn they want to spend their lives together.
Profile Image for Ann-Maree Howarth.
660 reviews7 followers
July 11, 2018
What a lovely story this book was it will have hooked to the very end. Shanna Hatfield is one of my favorite authors and this book will not disappoint you. This is book two of the series but the first one I have read, I do have “Valentine Bride” sitting on my Kindle waiting to be read. I just love the residence of the Golden Skies Retirement Village. This book will warm your heart and if you read it on a cold winter night like I did you are totally going to enjoy it. I received an ARC copy of this great book and this is my honest and voluntary review that I would highly recommend to any romance reader.
Profile Image for Amy Petrowich.
199 reviews
July 12, 2018
Hope and happiness are hers for the taking

Sage and Justin are building a friendship clouded by misunderstandings. He’s fighting his attraction for a woman he thinks is married. She’s fighting her fears and feelings because Justin is too good to be true and her life is shadowed by a past she can’t get passed and a future she can’t afford to dream about.
I loved the heartwarming story of a couple who truly deserved all happiness. It was deep and very well written. In the midst of the struggles there are also lots of laugh out loud moments
This is truly a story of finding hope and happiness when survival was all she even dreamed about.
Profile Image for Shash.
472 reviews
July 12, 2018
I smiled, laughed and sighed my way through this book. I loved the story and loved the characters (both the two and four footed ones). Sage is amazing! Her dedication to her brother is inspirational. I loved the way Justin made him a part of everything, too. Justin really saw and understood Sage and was a perfect partner for her. It just took her a while to realize that. :) It was so fun to watch Matilda and Ruth try to help the romance along. They are a great pair and such a riot! I hope we get to see them again soon!

I received a complimentary copy of the book, which I voluntarily reviewed. I have given my honest opinion.
Profile Image for Nethanja.
624 reviews3 followers
July 18, 2018
Ruth and Matilda are doing it again, proofing they are good in matchmaking. Justin is all for it but his love interest Sage seems married with a son. Sage became the caretaker for her half brother Shane when she was 18 and she took it very serious. She really likes Justin but there is no place in her life for love. Can Justin convince Sage that he not only came to love her but also her brother Shane?
This is a really enjoyable story with lovable characters, humans and animals. When you start reading you don’t want to put it down before finishing. Loved the message behind the wedding ceremony.
Profile Image for Tess.
551 reviews
July 14, 2018
Excellent. Of course! Many laugh out loud moments. Ms Hatfield has characters with wit and charm and are written in such a way that you expect them to be your neighbors. Pretty sure Sage and I would be super close friends.

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books for review from publishers, publicists,
and/or authors, including Netgalley. I am not required to write positive
reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this
in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.
Profile Image for Tonya Lucas.
1,107 reviews10 followers
July 19, 2018
I‘m in Heaven, every time I read Shanna Hatfield book, I finish it saying one of two things, “well that’s the cutest story I’ve read yet” or “that’s my favorite one so far!”
She never disappoints, always delivers, and truly warms my heart.
Justin and Sage’s story was so cute, heartwarming, and sincere.
Shane was truly an amazing addition to this story and who can forget Matilda and Ruth. Those two ladies are just the cream of the crop when it comes to matchmakers. I’d really love to meet them in person.
A beautiful love story which was perfect for a Summer Bride.
Profile Image for Teri.
385 reviews
August 5, 2018
I’ve been waiting for this book for a very long time, and it didn’t disappoint! Justin was just the best sort of fella for Valentine Bride Fynlee’s friend Sage. She has a lot of walls built up from her lousy childhood & rightfully so, plus she has the extra responsibility of raising her teenage brother Shane. Somehow it takes a crazy tomato soup incident, Fred Asteer, & some sweet residents of the Hokey Pokey Hotel for them to open up their hearts. Definitely keep a tissue handy toward the end!
424 reviews2 followers
June 20, 2021
I do enjoy stories by This author and this story is just as good as other stories I have read by this author. Sage works at the retirement village in the small town of Holiday where Justin has been hired to do electrical work. There are two residents, Matilda and Ruth, who love to match make and they there sites set on Sage and Justin this time. Love these stories and the characters have more than meets the eye. Not only is there romance, there is humor mixed into the story as well which caught my attention with this series and has kept me reading this series.
1,018 reviews6 followers
July 11, 2018
this is a sweet lovely story. I was given a copy of the book but this is an honest review. if you have read any of her other books you will love this one. the matchmakers are at it again. Sage is raising her teenage brother and works at the senior citizen home. Justin is an electrician and is working at the home when the matchmakers are at it again. you have to read it to meet Fred Asteer. oh cannot forget the mouse, and the fact that it really happened to Shanna very good story
1,095 reviews8 followers
July 13, 2018
I enjoy a story with older people in it along with the young. The characters were interesting and just like someone we all know somewhere in our lives.. so real! I smiled, sighed and had a few oh no's, I really enjoyed the Summer Bride.
I receive complimentary books from CelebrateLit, publishers, publicists, and/or authors, including Netgalley. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own and voluntary.
694 reviews1 follower
July 21, 2018
This is a heartwarming story with wonderful characters that pull you in and keeps you turning the pages until the end. Justin and Sage are working at a retirement home. They are attracted to each other but, her main priority is raising her brother. When the hilarious match makers get involved it really gets interesting. This is a romantic, sweet, funny story with loveable characters and I would definitely recommend it.
Profile Image for Dawn P.
30 reviews
August 11, 2020
I love this series!

Soooo I totally read these out of order and I have to say this one is my favorite so far. The match making residents from HPH are at it again. I aspire to be more like Matilda in my life! Sage is such a sweet character and I’m glad she has her own story. Then you add a calf named Fred Asteer and a grumpy cat called Crosby and this story is just wonderful. I admit I teared up a bit in the final chapter.
Profile Image for Marty Moore.
477 reviews2 followers
June 4, 2022
I can't help but fall in love

I loved the characters in your story so much! Sage reminds me of me. I was emancipated at 16 years old and at 18 was asked if I would be a guardian for my brother. I couldn't because I knew I couldn't keep him out of trouble. I love that Sage found her forever love. Any man who will step up and not only accept the young man Sage was raising, but love him and want to nurture him, well, he's a great man. I loved this story!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 59 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.