Start by marking “The Pretenders (The Similars, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Pretenders (The Similars, #2)

The Pretenders

(The Similars #2)

In this conclusion to The Similars duology, Emma must figure out who she really is, decide between two boys with the same face, and stop a dangerous plan based on revenge.

Emma is still reeling from the events of her junior year at Darkwood. Not only is her best friend, Oliver, shockingly alive, but the boy she loves—his Similar, Levi—is still on the island where he grew u
400 pages
Published December 10th 2019

Start your review of The Pretenders (The Similars, #2)
Shelley
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I currently have no comment on the ending.
Jackie
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads, arcs, sci-fi
You know that scene in the office where Jim says that Dwight revealed that he was a double agent which allowed Andy to share that he too was a double agent and then wait for it Michael was also a double agent? That’s this book.

“The Pretenders” follows Emma as she works through the chaos that found Levi back on the island and Ollie home sage and though she wants to celebrate having her friend back he can’t fill the hole in her life where his clone used to be and when mischief in the form of Dupl
Rebecca Hanover
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
It's almost pub day, and I am ELATED to share book 2 of THE SIMILARS series with you. This series has been a part of my life for so long now, it's a dream to have the second part out in the world. Thank you to every reader who has reached out -- every book champion, librarian, book seller and reviewer. THANK YOU.
amshelves
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Vinny —.:* Film & Fiction
The Similars (The Similars, #1): ★★
The Pretenders (The Similars, #2): ★

—☽.。* Quick recap!
☆ Short synopsis: After discovering a shocking truth on Castor Island, Emma must figure it all out while also stuck in a love triangle with two boys who has the same face.
☆ Read this book if you're: Fan of a fast-paced & light sci-fi.
☆ You might want to consider it because: The romance plot was extremely way more dominating, considering this book promoted as a YA Sci-fi.

Sadly, my review of the
Lisa Mandina
I didn't get a copy of this until after it was published, even though I had it listed as not being published till January, it actually was released in December. So sorry this review is a bit late! This conclusion the story was really good. There were lots of twists and turns, some hinted at in the end of book one. Without giving much away, it turns out that the plot is even more terrifying than was believed in the first book, and what happens at the school, and out in the world itself is more th ...more
Ayesha
Apr 12, 2020 rated it did not like it
I do not even know how to review this book. Literally such unreliable narrator and after getting to the end I just wanted to throw my phone at the wall. No book has made this flabbergasted and confused. I literally thought the narrative with Similars was better then introducing Duplicates which literally threw of the plot that the author introduced just to throw of the reader.
I have read sci-fi and dystopian novels which actually indicate the narrators. The author should have POV from both of E
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I did like the ending. There was nice twists in it. Wish there was more to the ending.....
Lauren
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, but I found myself loving the first book so much better. I flew through the first book so quickly, so I’m a little disappointed that this wasn’t as good as the first.
Alia
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: friendship-goals
Okay, the ending totally got me. I'd be impressed if anyone saw it coming. The few things that truly bugged me was the dialogue and descriptions sometimes. I don't understand why Hanover uses the phrase "I exhort" when the MC, Emma, is talking to her friends. You can just use "I say." Simple words exist for a reason. Or "feeling bereft" or "my words divorced from my mouth" which is fancy and I appreciate, but when you use it over four times within the span of 10 chapters, it gets old. I actually ...more
Lynn
The Similars and The Pretenders are the perfect pair! Emma has so much new information and a shocking revelation to comes to terms with. I love the twist and the humanity that takes center stage. I was so shocked and felt so lucky to get the ebook on loan from the library right away with NO wait, unheard of for me. If you haven't read The Similars, pick it up today and then The Pretenders right after.
Gayle Noble
Alexe ♡
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it

I really enjoyed this sequel to The Similars. The writing was just as good and the characters just as interesting and well-developed. I only took away .5 because I found this novel to have much fewer cliffhangers than the previous one. It is one of the elements that greatly appealed to me in book 1. Other than that, the plot was filled with twists and turns that I sometimes saw coming, but mostly not. Loved it!
Chianna
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
wackKkkk idk how i felt abt it tho i still think I liked the first one better but this book was prETTY GOOD NGL

also... wow plot twists 👌👌👌
Aoife
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Emma and her Similiar friends continue to struggle against the crazy plans of their creator and guardian.

It happens that I've been reading mostly books in series lately. Lots of sequels coming out around now. And the more of them I read, the less I understand why publishers can't put a little recap in at the start. It's a year and a half since I read the first book. I vaguely remembered the plot, but the main source of angst for Emma the whole way through this one? No memory of it at all. I had
Ethan Kurzweil
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Extremely riveting and spellbinding - I couldn't wait to get to the end, and was shocked at what I found. It presents modern day issues with a very intriguing sci-fi dystopian plot-line all in a natural way that made me feel empathy for Emma and the other main characters.

I'm excited for what Hanover writes next! And I hope there is a third book in the series!
Jess the Shelf-Declared Bibliophile
I enjoyed all the twists and turns of this book. Some were expected, some were not. The two books were well written and I appreciate an author that isn’t greedy by making 14829 additional books and spinoff series!
Laura (midorireads)
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
As much as I loved The Similars, I can't say I felt the same about this one...

While the first book was awesome because of it's "newness" (in terms of a fresh concept...at least one that I hadn't yet read), as well as a plot line that was not only intriguing, but kept me engaged until the very end - which was obviously a cliffhanger, because that is apparently my lot in life...

That aside, I mistakenly assumed that meant that book 2 would be just as good, and eventually lead to an awesome - and ex
Thamy
Jan 16, 2020 added it
If you're not aware, this book is a sequel to The Similars, and you will need to have read the first book to understand this one. We have written a review to it, so you can check our opinion in case you don't know it. Also, there will be spoilers of the first book in our review, beware.

We take off from a little after The Similars left us. It's a new school year and Emma is coming back with Oliver, but not with Levi. She still need to process what Graveller revealed and face the anti-clone moveme
caitlin
Jul 09, 2020 rated it liked it
The Pretenders is the sequel to Rebecca Hanover's first book The Similars and connects Emmas past with her future tying up loose ends from Rebecca Hanover's first novel, all the while adding multiple shocking new twists no one could've predicted. A story about family, self discovery, and belonging.

The Similars ends with Emma learning that she is actually a similar herself, and struggles with the concept and wither she should present this newly found knowledge to her peers and friends but before
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
3.5*

Okay look, it's kind of impossible for me to write a legit review without spoiling stuff- at the very least, stuff from the first book. And I don't want to do that, because I know that I often look to reviews for both books before starting a series, so, you know.

I will say, I liked this one even more than the first! I thought it was twistier and more exciting, and I actually had no problem jumping back into the world (which, I admit, I worried about a bit because I didn't think I remembered
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult / Science Fiction / Mystery
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

Rebecca Hanover's The Pretenders is the second and final installment to the authors The Similars duology. Emmaline Chase and her Similar friends are back at Darkwood Academy but with a surprise. Oliver Gravelle, who was thought to be dead, has been returned from Castor Island after being away for his entire Junior year. On the other hand, Levi, who is Oliver's similar, is still on the island and not allowed to
Cassandra Savannah
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
May
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
The definition of a page turner! I really enjoyed it
Brianna
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, loved it!
Camille S.
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
The Pretenders was a solid addition to the Similars, definitely closing the duology well, but the book isn't without problems. Some parts feel a bit of a rehash of the first, which had a magic this one doesn't manage to capture as well. The plot twists however, make the book worthwhile, even more mind blowing than the last book.
All in all, a captivating, worthy read.
Kathy Locke
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am in awe of this series! It can't be over! Mind boggling! Such a fabulous story of love, mystery, identity, and ethical issues. I loved it!
Marina
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Twisty twisty twist
Angel Hench
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
HERE'S THE SUMMARY: Last school year, clones of the most popular kids showed up at Darkwood Academy. At the end of The Similars, Emma had found one friend and left another behind. Emma is hoping her senior year will be (mostly) normal, but the first meeting of the Ten guarantees that won't happen. There might be kidnappings and a lot more clones and some twists you don't see coming...but I won't say, because I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

HERE'S THE REVIEW: Unfortunately, this book just didn
Teri
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
With it's dark secrets, shocking truths, and political angles, the first book in this series hooked me, and I couldn't wait to get to the sequel.  It also hinted at a very bizarre love triangle.

The things I enjoyed in the first book - cloning, clone rights, and ethics - aren't as prominent in this sequel.  Instead, it focuses more on high school cliches and teen drama.  Yes, this is a young adult novel, and those actions are to be expected in some of them; however, compared to the first book in
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Was the ending satisfactory enough? 3 8 Mar 05, 2020 08:37PM

• The Furies
  • The Bone Houses
  • Summer Frost
  • Emergency Skin
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • The Starless Sea
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • The Last Conversation
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • Cursed
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Dead Voices (Small Spaces, #2)
  • Spring (Evermore Academy, #2)
  • Mooncakes
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • White Bird
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1)
  • There's Something About Sweetie (Dimple and Rishi, #2)
Rebecca Hanover is the NY Times bestselling author of THE SIMILARS series. She earned a bachelor of arts from Stanford University in English and drama and won an Emmy as a staff writer on the CBS daytime drama Guiding Light. (It's surprisingly heavy, and has scary sharp wings).

Rebecca lives in San Francisco with her husband and three kiddos, where she enjoys matcha lattes, hoodies, and a complete

The Similars (2 books)
  • The Similars (The Similars, #1)