Start by marking “After He Died” as Want to Read:
After He Died

After He Died

You need to know who your husband really was…

When Paula Gadd’s husband of almost thirty years dies, just days away from the seventh anniversary of their son, Christopher’s death, her world falls apart. Grieving and bereft, she is stunned when a young woman approaches her at the funeral service, and slips something into her pocket. A note suggesting that Paula’s husband was

Published July 30th 2018 by ORENDA BOOKS

To ask other readers questions about After He Died, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After He Died

Liz Barnsley
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
After He Died is a pacy, addictive read, a beautifully plotted character driven drama that digs into whether we can really know anyone, even those closest to us.
Paula is grieving, having lost her husband without warning. Enter Cara, who wants Paula to know some bitter truths – but what exactly the truth is waits to be discovered.
Various relationship dynamics are key here as Paula discovers hidden depths in those around her. There are plenty of unexpected moments and the authors eye for nuance of
The Book Review Café
4.5 ⭐ Michael J Malone never fails to surprise me, he is such a versatile author, Crime, Gothic mystery, domestic noir, psychological thriller, which every genre he chooses to write about, its obvious he puts his heart and soul into his writing. When I read the book description for After He Died I convinced myself this novel was going to be purely domestic noir, along the lines of one of his previous books A Suitable Lie (which is one of my favourite books EVER by the way) but apologises to the ...more
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The story starts off at the funeral of Paula's husband Tommy. Straight away I could feel the emotions building up inside of me. Losing a loved one is never easy but a husband is more than just that, usually they can be a soul mate or best friend. Not only is she having to deal with the death of her husband, she is still dealing with the loss of their son from some years before. How does one person deal with that? It soon becomes apparent that Paula doesn't really have any friends and also isn't ...more
Nicki
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After He Died is the addictive,fast paced,twisty tale of the tension filled friendship that is forged between two women from completely different social classes during their quests for the truth about their lost loved one.

Paula Gadd is only just managing to hold herself together mainly due to the pills that she took before the service.Her beloved husband of almost thirty years has recently died,just days away from the forth anniversary of the death of their son Christopher.Grieving and bereft sh
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

Imagine your son dies and you have to deal with the aftermath with your husband. This obviously strains a relationship but also can bring a couple closer together. Then imagine your husband dies and now you're left all alone.

This book opens at the funeral of Paula's husband. At the funeral, she's given a note that her husband is not who he seems. First of all, that's not a great place for someone to do this - isn't she going through enough already?! Then people start showing up and you're heari
Karen
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Paula Gadd is at the funeral of her husband Thomas when an unknown woman approaches her and whispers to her “you need to know who your husband really was” before slipping a note into her pocket. With such an intriguing start to the story I was hooked.

After He Died is very different to the previous two standalones by Michael Malone. This is a much darker thriller featuring some very nasty characters and is an addictive and suspenseful read.

I took to Paula straight away. She was a strong woman but
Laura Rash
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Michael J. Malone has quickly become one of my favorite authors with the likes of books such as this. A really quick paced read with zippy chapters has you not bothering with a bookmark and gobbling up very clever detail! Paula is a great damsel in distress character who doesn’t all fall apart when things go awry but solves a mystery and gives herself some resolve after her husbands death. Great read!
Thanks so much to Orenda for this copy:)
Amy
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m beginning to realize that the ever so talented Malone is the rare type of author who reinvents himself with each new book and I am so very impressed with this keen ability he possesses. I’ve now read his last three releases and have really liked all three and am truly blown away by how unique and compelling all of them are.

His last book (House of Spines) left me feeling highly unsettled and this one did as well, albeit in a completely different manner. This time I had an uneasy feeling as it
Joanne Robertson
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having read all of Michael J Malones books I have to start by commenting on how different each and every one of them is! You never quite know what type of story you’ll be getting, although the constant throughout is the beautifully written narratives he creates. After He Died is an involving and intriguing mystery that will have you questioning just how well you really know those that we love.

Paula has lost her husband of nearly 30 years and it has devastated her, especially as they lost their o
Louise Beech
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another book full of suspense, characters on the edge, and a plot that takes you in the opposite direction to where you expect; it's also one that's littered with the kind of language that reminds you Malone is at heart a poet. Each of Malone's books are very different, and this is no exception, but they're united by the great writing and the passionate story. Highly reccommend.
Eva
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you haven’t yet introduced yourself to Michael J. Malone’s books, you are missing out on an amazingly talented author. If there’s one thing I love about his work, it is that I never quite know what to expect when I pick up one his books. But I do know I’m in for a treat as he always delivers a most devilish tale.

After He Died once again shows of Michael J. Malone’s ability to diversify so if you’re expecting something along the lines of the gothic greatness that was House of Spines or the ext
Kim ~ Traveling Sister
Review to come
Beth (bibliobeth)
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
First of all, a huge thank you to Anne Cater, Karen Sullivan and all at Orenda Books for inviting me to take part in this blog tour and providing me with a complimentary copy of this fantastic psychological thriller in exchange for an honest review. There's been a few novelists published by Orenda that I've been woefully behind in getting round to their work and Michael J. Malone is another one of those that I wish I'd picked up MONTHS ago. I've heard glowing praise and read wonderful reviews ab ...more
Claire
“The big man’s gone”

I’ve loved my first experience of Michael J Malone’s writing. I was immediately drawn into Paula’s world, feeling her heartbreak. Thomas was her world and with him gone, she’s left with no family of her own. Then at a time of vulnerability, one stranger says something to pull the rug from under her already shaky feet.

“your husband is not the man you thought he was”

My instant thought was he had a second family or something similar, the usual revelation in a domestic noir kind
Don Jimmy
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

“After He Died” opens on a scene which (I’m assuming) everybody would dread. One of our two protagonists is burying her husband when she is asked to question her dead husbands past, and if he truly was the man she thinks he was. This is the catalyst that leads her on a journey for the truth about her husband, and his business.
The protagonists here are incredibly strong and I found myself somehow rooting for both of them to get a satisfactory
Emma
Sep 16, 2018 added it
Review to follow.
Meggy
Jun 25, 2018 added it
Will never get tired of Mr Malone's writing style...
Karen Cole
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved Michael J. Malone's previous books, A Suitable Lie and House of Spines but After He Died is possibly my favourite yet. There are some novels that resonate personally with a reader and this is one such book for me.
Michael J. Malone is an author who seems to be able to get to the heart of the most complicated, damaged people and does so in a way that means their lives aren't sanitised but neither are they dehumanised. Some of the characters in After He Died live on the edges of society, th
Beverley
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Imagine being at the funeral of your spouse and being approached by a woman who tells you that you don’t really know your husband. This is the reality which Paula Gadd faces at the funeral of her husband Thomas who has died suddenly of a hear attack. She is initially reluctant to contact the woman who left a note with her telephone number but the curiosity and doubt starts to seep in leading her down a path of lies and revelations.

I was struck by Michael J. Malone’s sensitive and gentle way of w
Yvonne
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Paula Gadd lost her son almost seven years ago, her husband has just died. But a stranger asking Paula how well she knew her husband leaves her questioning all she thought she knew.

Straight away I want to mention the cover, how simple, effective and amazing it is. The story itself is far from simple, but it is effective and it really is amazing. I got to meet Paula at the funeral of her husband Tommy, she is still stunned, shocked and in a daze when this random stranger just walks up and asks Pa
Christen Moore
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have read three of Malone’s previous books. What I noticed about all three is how the story starts right away. There is no build up, no setting the scene, the story begins with the first word. This immediately makes me sit up and pay close attention afraid to miss any details. After He Died is no exception, Malone’s straight forward approach to writing will grip readers from the very start and will leave them shocked and a little disturbed but in the best way possible.

Malone’s writing is the m
Julia
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
After He Died is, I regret to admit, the first of Michael J. Malone‘s books I have read; however, I have had the paperback of A Suitable Lie on my TBR for a while so I will rectify this as soon as possible!

I really enjoyed my first experience of his writing. After He Died is part drama, part mystery and part thriller. It is both an intimate and very moving portrait of grief and a surprising and twisting tale of greed, revenge, violence and the worst of human beings.

Paula is a sympathetic lead ch
Susan Hunter
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
An intriguing read from start to finish. This book drew me in from the start. Beginning with Thomas Gadd's funeral a message from a young woman to widow, Paula Gadd was enough to capture my attention. What follows is a mysterious tale of "Who was Thomas Gadd?". So many revelations for Paula and not all good and not all as it seems, as intertwined discoveries, threats and deceptions unfold in this tense, riveting read.
Clair
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Firstly, how fabulous is that cover? The black wreath on a creamy grey background with pops of red…intriguing to say the least. Even more so when you read the blurb which is chilling but so possible – how well do we truly know those closest to us?

After He Died opens at the funeral of Paula’s husband, she is understandably distressed, distant and just wants to get the day over and done with. However, she receives a note from a mystery woman, Cara, which is about to cast doubt upon the last 30 yea
Kate Avery
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites-2018
Rating 4.5/5

This is the first Michael J Malone book that I have read and I have to say I am very glad I had another of his books donated to my shelf because his writing is fantastic.

I thought that After He Died was going to be a high octane ride with twists and turns around every corner but it was better than that; it took its time and pulled me in with its rich description and intriguing characters so that when something unexpected happened the impact was greater. It has a kind of quiet suspens
Stuart
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Michael J. Malone is at it again and I am loving it. After He Died is a superb, pacey psychological thriller centred around grief, denial and ignorance which maintains Michael J. Malone’s reputation for deeply human narratives and the boundless intensity that come with them.

How well can you truly know the person you have spent nearly thirty years loving?

Michael J. Malone is a master of suspense, dread and mind games which he uses to make After He Died another stellar reading experience. Dialling
Sharon
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kicking off with the grieving widow Paula Gadd greeting mourners at the end of the funeral service for her husband, Thomas. Medicated and hazy she ponders the reason behind the tradition (and to be fair I’ve pondered it many a time too! ) when a young woman approaches her, whispers and slips a note into her pocket. I just got the sense that a whole host of lies are about to come tumbling out and I was not wrong at all! Dropping bombshells and revelations leave Paula reeling and unsure as to whet ...more
Celeste Ní raois
With huge thanks to Karen Sullivan, Michael J Malone and Orenda, I received a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.......

You need to know who your husband really was…

Cram Book Club
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Hello dear friend, oh how I have missed you!

I have read some fantastic books recently, however a few chapters in to After He Died I realised how long it has been since I had read a gripping suspense thriller - Gone Girl, Girl on A Train, Before I Go To Sleep, all released years ago now and I hadn't realised how much I had missed stonking examples of this genre until the beginning of After He Died awoke something in me. I relished the chance to read further.

"When Paula Gadd’s husband of almost th
Abbie
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: september-2018
You know your partner inside out, right? And, of course, you trust them implicitly don’t you? Imagine your partner suddenly died and while trying to get through the funeral you are slipped a note by a person you don’t know who suggests that your partner wasn’t who you thought they were. This is what happens to Paula Gadd in Michael J. Malone’s latest book After He Died.
As Malone sets up the premise of the book, starting at the above-mentioned funeral of Thomas Gadd, you may be forgiven for think
« previous 1 3 4 next »