Start by marking “After He Died” as Want to Read:
After He Died

After He Died

You need to know who your husband really was…

When Paula Gadd’s husband of almost thirty years dies, just days away from the seventh anniversary of their son, Christopher’s death, her world falls apart. Grieving and bereft, she is stunned when a young woman approaches her at the funeral service, and slips something into her pocket. A note suggesting that Paula’s husband was

Published July 15th 2018 by ORENDA BOOKS

To ask other readers questions about After He Died, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After He Died

Start your review of After He Died
Jess☺️
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
After He Died by Michael J. Malone is the first book I've read by this author and I'm excited to read more.
It's a non stop pacy thriller which you want to finish NOW!! It's also shocking, disturbing and unbelievably fun to read, with plenty of twists and turns with also the ability to throw you off just when you think you figured it out (especially the ending).
I really do recommend this to anyone who loves a great thriller.
Selena
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a free e-copy of After He died by Michael J. Malone from NetGalley for my honest review.

Paula Gadd has just lost her husband. This on top of loosing her son a few years before. She is questioning life itself. Then she meets Cara. Cara has also lost a loved one; she has lost her brother. Paula and Cara end up developing a close bond. But soon Paula discovers that the events that have taken place are connected.

Strange people keep turning up in her life and then secrets start to unfold.
Michelle
DNF - 26% - will not be included in my 2019 reading challenge.

This story just took a turn that I don't care for so I'm throwing in the towel. Michael J. Malone is a terrific writer so please don't let this review sway you. This one just wasn't for me.
Liz Barnsley
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
After He Died is a pacy, addictive read, a beautifully plotted character driven drama that digs into whether we can really know anyone, even those closest to us.
Paula is grieving, having lost her husband without warning. Enter Cara, who wants Paula to know some bitter truths – but what exactly the truth is waits to be discovered.
Various relationship dynamics are key here as Paula discovers hidden depths in those around her. There are plenty of unexpected moments and the authors eye for nuance of
The Book Review Café
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: domestic-noir, crime
4.5 ⭐️ Michael J Malone never fails to surprise me, he is such a versatile author, Crime, Gothic mystery, domestic noir, psychological thriller, which every genre he chooses to write about, its obvious he puts his heart and soul into his writing. When I read the book description for After He Died I convinced myself this novel was going to be purely domestic noir, along the lines of one of his previous books A Suitable Lie (which is one of my favourite books EVER by the way) but apologises to the ...more
Linda Strong
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Paula Gadd is attending her husband's funeral when a young woman walks up, hugs her, and hands her a note. Then she leaves. The note suggests that her husband was not the man she thought he was.

Losing her husband of almost 30 years was bad enough, but she had also lost her son just a few years ago and practically on the same date. And now someone has placed doubts in her mind about her husband.

When Paula meets the young woman, she expected to be told that her husband had had an affair. But what
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The story starts off at the funeral of Paula's husband Tommy. Straight away I could feel the emotions building up inside of me. Losing a loved one is never easy but a husband is more than just that, usually they can be a soul mate or best friend. Not only is she having to deal with the death of her husband, she is still dealing with the loss of their son from some years before. How does one person deal with that? It soon becomes apparent that Paula doesn't really have any friends and also isn't ...more
Nicki
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After He Died is the addictive,fast paced,twisty tale of the tension filled friendship that is forged between two women from completely different social classes during their quests for the truth about their lost loved one.

Paula Gadd is only just managing to hold herself together mainly due to the pills that she took before the service.Her beloved husband of almost thirty years has recently died,just days away from the forth anniversary of the death of their son Christopher.Grieving and bereft sh
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)

Imagine your son dies and you have to deal with the aftermath with your husband. This obviously strains a relationship but also can bring a couple closer together. Then imagine your husband dies and now you're left all alone.

This book opens at the funeral of Paula's husband. At the funeral, she's given a note that her husband is not who he seems. First of all, that's not a great place for someone to do this - isn't she going through enough already?! Then people start showing up and you're heari
Karen
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Paula Gadd is at the funeral of her husband Thomas when an unknown woman approaches her and whispers to her “you need to know who your husband really was” before slipping a note into her pocket. With such an intriguing start to the story I was hooked.

After He Died is very different to the previous two standalones by Michael Malone. This is a much darker thriller featuring some very nasty characters and is an addictive and suspenseful read.

I took to Paula straight away. She was a strong woman but
Laura Rash
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Michael J. Malone has quickly become one of my favorite authors with the likes of books such as this. A really quick paced read with zippy chapters has you not bothering with a bookmark and gobbling up very clever detail! Paula is a great damsel in distress character who doesn’t all fall apart when things go awry but solves a mystery and gives herself some resolve after her husbands death. Great read!
Thanks so much to Orenda for this copy:)
Amy
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m beginning to realize that the ever so talented Malone is the rare type of author who reinvents himself with each new book and I am so very impressed with this keen ability he possesses. I’ve now read his last three releases and have really liked all three and am truly blown away by how unique and compelling all of them are.

His last book (House of Spines) left me feeling highly unsettled and this one did as well, albeit in a completely different manner. This time I had an uneasy feeling as it
Joanne Robertson
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having read all of Michael J Malones books I have to start by commenting on how different each and every one of them is! You never quite know what type of story you’ll be getting, although the constant throughout is the beautifully written narratives he creates. After He Died is an involving and intriguing mystery that will have you questioning just how well you really know those that we love.

Paula has lost her husband of nearly 30 years and it has devastated her, especially as they lost their o
Eva
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you haven’t yet introduced yourself to Michael J. Malone’s books, you are missing out on an amazingly talented author. If there’s one thing I love about his work, it is that I never quite know what to expect when I pick up one his books. But I do know I’m in for a treat as he always delivers a most devilish tale.

After He Died once again shows of Michael J. Malone’s ability to diversify so if you’re expecting something along the lines of the gothic greatness that was House of Spines or the ext
Louise Beech
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another book full of suspense, characters on the edge, and a plot that takes you in the opposite direction to where you expect; it's also one that's littered with the kind of language that reminds you Malone is at heart a poet. Each of Malone's books are very different, and this is no exception, but they're united by the great writing and the passionate story. Highly reccommend.
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
3.5 Stars

I read this book in one sitting, because I really wanted to find out what happened. I read some great reviews about this book and one reviewer added a spoiler so I kinda had an idea of what was going on. Even though I was a bit prepared, it didn't ruin the book for me.

I'm a character reader. I really get into the characters, their story, and who or what they are. The author does an amazing job of painting the two primary characters quickly and thoroughly and develops the secondary char
Angela H.
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, netgalley
Thank you Netgalley for providing this book for review!

For a short book, it does not contain any fluff to lengthen the plot. The plot is intense and filled with subtle hints that lead to the suspect behind the questionable killing.

(1) Who is behind her husband's death and subsequent murders that follow it? (2) What's the intent for the murders?

I love how Paula (main) does not dive into unnecessary trouble but reasonable trouble comes her way due to the circumstances related to her husband. Gr
Anne
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paula's husband of thirty years is dead. At the funeral a young woman she has never seen slips a note in her pocket telling Paula she didn't know who her husband really was. So although she is grieving, Paula decides to follow up and find out what secrets Thomas may have harbored. His two brothers seem to know nothing so who is this mysterious young woman who is sure her husband was hiding something. Lots of twists and turns, but at times the grieving seemed to overtake the plot a bit. Overall, ...more
Calista Andrechek
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley, Michael J Malone and Trafalgar Square Publishing for the free e-book in exchange for an honest review.

Paula’s husband of almost thirty years just died of a heart attack just before the anniversary of their son’s death and her world falls apart. She is stunned when a younger woman slips her a note at the funeral saying that her husband isn’t who she thought he was. The two women finally meet and Paula is shocked by the revelations that are brought to her attention. We soon se
Alyssa Smith
Thank you to Netgalley, the author, and the publisher for this ARC.

Some books just shouldn't be read at a specific time in your life, I truly believe that. This book flopped for me. I couldn't escape with it. I couldn't sink my teeth into it. I was angry at Paula for how clueless and gullible she could be. I felt like a lot of this was a bias hate on the husband book and I couldn't love it.
Beth (bibliobeth)
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
First of all, a huge thank you to Anne Cater, Karen Sullivan and all at Orenda Books for inviting me to take part in this blog tour and providing me with a complimentary copy of this fantastic psychological thriller in exchange for an honest review. There's been a few novelists published by Orenda that I've been woefully behind in getting round to their work and Michael J. Malone is another one of those that I wish I'd picked up MONTHS ago. I've heard glowing praise and read wonderful reviews ab ...more
Claire
“The big man’s gone”

I’ve loved my first experience of Michael J Malone’s writing. I was immediately drawn into Paula’s world, feeling her heartbreak. Thomas was her world and with him gone, she’s left with no family of her own. Then at a time of vulnerability, one stranger says something to pull the rug from under her already shaky feet.

“your husband is not the man you thought he was”

My instant thought was he had a second family or something similar, the usual revelation in a domestic noir kind
Don Jimmy Reviews
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

“After He Died” opens on a scene which (I’m assuming) everybody would dread. One of our two protagonists is burying her husband when she is asked to question her dead husbands past, and if he truly was the man she thinks he was. This is the catalyst that leads her on a journey for the truth about her husband, and his business.
The protagonists here are incredibly strong and I found myself somehow rooting for both of them to get a satisfactory
Melissa In The City
There were pages/chapters that had me drawn in and there were also parts that I was really not into the story. I think I was most disinterested when the whole mob scenario was introduced. Overall, 3 stars. I liked the dark setting of Ireland and the author definitely has quite the imagination for a thriller!
Thank you #NetGalley, the author and the publisher for my ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Posting on goodreads as well.
Emma
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
As soon as I hear Michael J. Malone has a new book coming out, I want a copy! For those of you who are new to damppebbles, Malone’s first Orenda release, A Suitable Lie absolutely blew my socks off (and then some!) back in 2016. It was my book of the year and I still, to this day, recommend it to EVERYONE! If you haven’t purchased a copy yet, then you MUST! I’m also a massive fan of Malone’s self-published gritty Scottish crime series featuring the ‘rough-around-the-edges’ DI, Ray McBain. Anothe ...more
Meggy - Chocolate'n'Waffles
Will never get tired of Mr Malone's writing style...
Karen Cole
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved Michael J. Malone's previous books, A Suitable Lie and House of Spines but After He Died is possibly my favourite yet. There are some novels that resonate personally with a reader and this is one such book for me.
Michael J. Malone is an author who seems to be able to get to the heart of the most complicated, damaged people and does so in a way that means their lives aren't sanitised but neither are they dehumanised. Some of the characters in After He Died live on the edges of society, th
Beverley
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Imagine being at the funeral of your spouse and being approached by a woman who tells you that you don’t really know your husband. This is the reality which Paula Gadd faces at the funeral of her husband Thomas who has died suddenly of a hear attack. She is initially reluctant to contact the woman who left a note with her telephone number but the curiosity and doubt starts to seep in leading her down a path of lies and revelations.

I was struck by Michael J. Malone’s sensitive and gentle way of w
Yvonne
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Paula Gadd lost her son almost seven years ago, her husband has just died. But a stranger asking Paula how well she knew her husband leaves her questioning all she thought she knew.

Straight away I want to mention the cover, how simple, effective and amazing it is. The story itself is far from simple, but it is effective and it really is amazing. I got to meet Paula at the funeral of her husband Tommy, she is still stunned, shocked and in a daze when this random stranger just walks up and asks Pa
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Good Samaritans (Detective Sergeant Pace, #1)
  • The Lion Tamer Who Lost
  • Do No Harm
  • The Lingering
  • Lies Between Us
  • Breakers
  • Envy
  • Palm Beach Finland
  • Changeling (Six Stories, #3)
  • Overkill (Sam Shephard #1)
  • Attend
  • Netið
  • Call Me Star Girl
  • Fault Lines
  • Killerinstinkt
  • Dead Inside (Maggie Jamieson, #1)
  • Red Snow (Tuva Moodyson Mystery, #2)
  • Deep Dirty Truth (Lori Anderson, #3)