Start by marking “The Path to Somerset (The Seymour Saga #2)” as Want to Read:
The Path to Somerset (The Seymour Saga #2)

The Path to Somerset

(The Seymour Saga #2)

After the tragic romance of Jane the Quene, the second book in The Seymour Saga trilogy, The Path to Somerset, takes a dark turn through an era in which King Henry VIII descends into cynicism, suspicion and fits of madness – and in which mistakes mean death.

Edward Seymour’s future is uncertain. Although his sister Jane bore Henry the son he’d sought for twenty years, whe
Published August 24th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Path to Somerset, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Path to Somerset

Start your review of The Path to Somerset (The Seymour Saga #2)
Erin
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Find this and other reviews at: https://historicalfictionreader.blogs...

Forget all you know - or think you know - about Tudor fiction, because Janet Wertman’s The Path to Somerset is like nothing else on the market.

Picking up in the wake of Jane’s death, book two of The Seymour Saga chronicles the rivalry between Edward Seymour and Bishop Stephen Gardiner as they vie for the favor of a king enslaved by his own grief, ambition, and failing health. A thematically layered narrative, The Path to
Som
Juliew.
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actually really sorry I had to start with the second book in this series.I definitely would have liked to begin with the first book in this intelligent,fact based series had I been able to come up with it.Nevertheless this was an account of Edward Seymour's life after the death of his sister Jane and also one of the more truthful historical fictions I have read about the Seymour family.I really agreed with the author's portrayal of Edward and the in order timeline of the story.I thought it was a ...more
Linda Root
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed the first novel in Janet Wertman’s Seymour Saga, Jane the Quene, for the Review blog in 2017 and was impressed by its unique view of Henry VIII’s third queen, yet one rendered with a high degree of historical accuracy. Most books written about Jane Seymour, be they fiction or history, tend to be more about Anne Boleyn than the woman who replaced her. History has labeled Anne as an exciting woman in an era populated by colorful personalities, while even Jane’s contemporaries referred t ...more
Rajiv
Oct 23, 2020 rated it really liked it

[Blog]::[Youtube]::[Twitter]::[Instagram]::[Pinterest]::[Bloglovin]

The Path to Somerset is a compelling continuation of treachery, trouble, and tension of the Tudor Era.

The story turned out to be much darker than the previous book. The main thing that stood out is the power play between Edward/Cromwell and Norfolk/Gardiner. The prior want to reform the religious practices while the latter wants to conserve it.

Edward is magnetic in the role as he tries to get Henry to take his side over Norfolk.
Heidi Malagisi
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Edward Seymour, the brother of Thomas and Jane Seymour, as well as the uncle of Edward VI. Many people remember him for his role as Lord Protector to his nephew as well as his role in the execution of his brother Thomas. That, however, is only a small snapshot into the life of an interesting man. His life after his sister Jane died and before he became the 1st Duke of Somerset was one of twists and turns. Nothing was safe for the brother of Henry VIII’s most beloved wife, especially when it came ...more
Mary Milner
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well done

The author knows this period well, and she keeps to historical facts as she crafts the facts into a riveting piece of historical fiction.
Karen Hackett
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!
Jessica
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read It

I can sum it up in just two words: read it. It's lengthy, but worth it (though I do cede some sections are more accurately called "page turners" than others).
Janet Wertman
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: tudors-medieval
Yes, yes, this is my own book that I just awarded five stars. But this is the only way to get the book to show up on my bookshelf, and then to see when other new people review it. Besides, we're coming up on its Book Birthday and I wanted to show it some love! ...more
Rebecca Larson
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Path to Somerset is the second book in the Seymour saga by Janet Wertman – her first book was on Jane Seymour, called Jane the Quene. This book covers the career of Edward Seymour starting in March 1539. Queen Jane has been dead for a year and a half and the Henry VIII is considering a foreign bride.

Wertman was very generous and sent me an advance review copy. Here is a blurb about the book from Wertman’s website (janetwertman.com):

After the tragic romance of Jane the Quene, the second book
Mercedes Rochelle
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Author Janet Wertman has given us a different view of Edward Seymour than I had in my head—and with good reason. This book covers the younger Edward while he was still developing into the hardened self-serving Lord Protector we come to distrust in his later years. At first, Edward seems blameless in the midst of the terrible infighting that permeated Henry VIII’s court. Apparently everybody was motivated by the best way to take down his enemy: Bishop Gardiner against Archbishop Cranmer, Gardiner ...more
Nikkolle Fuscaldo
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

I absolutely love this book. It was written so that you absolutely feel like you were in the room watching these events take place. Also I found myself not hating Edward Seymour! Cannot wait to read the third in the trilogy.
gj indieBRAG
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing

We are proud to announce that THE PATH TO SOMERSET (The Seymour Saga #2) by Janet Ambrosi Wertman is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Dayanara Ryelle
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I'm going to keep this short and sweet:

The only thing equal to finding out you're related to the monarchy is reading a good book about your family. <3
Susan Abernethy
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Link to my review of this book:

Steph Warren
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book, with thanks to the author. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

Well, considering that this is a historical novel and I therefore know how it ends for the main characters, this was one of the most nerve-wracking books I have ever read! How everyone in Henry’s reign didn’t suffer from perpetual stomach ulcers and nervous tics, I have no idea!

The story follows the opposing characters of Edward Seymour, brother to Jane of Jane the Quene, and clerg
Mary Louise
Sadly, I had to dock the book one star for some glaring editing errors which should have been caught before the book went to press. Catherine Howard was Princess Mary's step-mother NOT her mother-in-law. How can Catherine Howard be seventeen from 1539 to 1542? Margaret Pole was not Henry VIII's aunt as described in the story but his First Cousin Once removed being his mother, Elizabeth of York's First Cousin through their father's, George, Duke of Clarence and King Edward IV, respectively.

Other
Kara

Flipping back and forth between the POV's of Edward Seymour and Bishop Gardenier, we see the Protestant and Catholic factions of the later years of Henry VIII's court fight like dogs for every scrap of power, while Henry leans back and occasionally prods them, manipulating both sides into fighting each other for his own amusement - and also because, he might be crazy and violent, but he's not stupid - two groups fighting each other means they aren't teaming up to take on the despot together.

Fasc
Cynthia
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Edward Seymour succeeds in spite of himself. Mr. Wertman indicates Edward is not very confident in his standing at court in spite of his being brother to the late Queen Jane.
King Henry VIII calls Edward his brother and relies upon Edward for advice.
I like reading historical fiction by different authors since they write a different point of view.
The one person I have not heard much about is Bishop Gardiner, who hates Edward.
I look forward to reading the third book in The Seymour Saga.
Scott Coon
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful tale rooted in real history. The writing is beautiful, bringing us into the time and world of Henry VIII. As someone without knowledge of these events, the story drew me. Edward Seymours is a deep and interesting character. As he and the other political players maneuvered to determine the religious future of England, I was constantly wondering who would survive. And along the way, I learned some odd tidbits of history. I looked them up; they're true. ...more
Cheryl
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-edition
I enrolled this more than the first, the wiring seemed tighter and the intrigue definitely got more interesting and dangerous. The constant jockeying for power still resonates today albeit minus the beheadings. Henry VIII grows more erratic but ultimately he does pass on the team to his son. Janet Wertman does a wonderful job here untangling this nest is hornets.
Donna Pingry
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Easy read. Characters are interesting. This is a work of fiction, simply put. I would not have recognized the Edward and Anne Seymour from non-fiction works. The author cleans them up very well.
Catherine Adair
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A good read

Just finished the 1st and 2nd of the trilogy and looking forward to the 3rd. Have read a varied selection of books on the tudors, consider this a good read.
Violet Yates
Heather Reyes
May 24, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Medical Downfall of the Tudors: Sex, Reproduction & Succession
  • The Beaufort Woman (Beaufort Chronicles #2)
  • Behind the Mask: The Story of Jane Seymour
  • Nest of Ashes (The Phoenix Trilogy: Story of Jane Seymour, #1)
  • Shadow of Persephone (The Story of Catherine Howard Book 1)
  • Katheryn Howard, the Scandalous Queen (Six Tudor Queens, #5)
  • Song of Sacrifice (Homeric Chronicles #1)
  • Jasper (Tudor Trilogy #2)
  • The Sultan's Harem
  • Rise of Princes (Homeric Chronicles #2)
  • Rage of Queens (Homeric Chronicles #3)
  • The Queen's Rival: Lettice Knollys: A Short Story (The Tudor Court Book 4)
  • A Mad Catastrophe: The Outbreak of World War I and the Collapse of the Habsburg Empire
  • The Stolen Crown: The Secret Marriage that Forever Changed the Fate of England
  • A Knight in Shining Armor (Montgomery/Taggert Family, #13)
  • The Lady's Ambition
  • The Scandal of Christendom (Above All Others; The Lady Anne Book 4)
  • The Wicked Wife
Janet Ambrosi Wertman grew up within walking distance of three bookstores and a library on Manhattan’s Upper West Side – and she visited all of them regularly. Her grandfather was an antiquarian bookdealer who taught her that there would always be a market for quirky, interesting books. He was the one who persuaded Janet’s parents to send her to the French school where she was taught to aspire to ...more

The Seymour Saga (3 books)
  • Jane the Quene (The Seymour Saga #1)
  • The Boy King (The Seymour Saga #3)

News & Interviews