Start by marking “Dead Air: The Complete Season 1” as Want to Read:
Dead Air: The Complete Season 1

Dead Air: The Complete Season 1

(Dead Air)

M is for midnight, Mackenzie, and…murder

Mackenzie Walker wasn’t planning on using her college radio show to solve a decades-old murder, but when she receives an anonymous tip that the wrong man may have taken the fall, she can’t resist digging deeper.

The victim, a glamorous heiress and founder of a Kentucky horse-racing dynasty, left behind plenty of enemies. And the cops
Published October 3rd 2018 by Serial Box Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dead Air, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Air

Start your review of Dead Air: The Complete Season 1
Malia
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This was a really clever and compelling story, that had me always eager for the next episode. I think it would definitely appeal to fans of Serial or books like Six Stories by Matt Wesolowski. Recommended!

Find more reviews and bookish fun at http://www.princessandpen.com
Christy
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic. One of the best reads this year and I’m so thrilled it won’t end with season 1. Fans of Serial and all true crime shows will love this.

I will read anything Gwenda Bond writes and it comes as no surprise that I am absolutely OBSESSED with her latest Serial alongside Carrie Ryan and Rachel Caine.

Dead Air is so much more than a “Serial” port. Serial Box fully takes advantage of their unique method to create not just a story but an experience for readers. Serials are already
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Excellent character development, a solid mystery, and an interesting Serialesque podcast framework.
Annika Barranti
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
I really enjoyed this mystery, which I read for a work project. Set in the world of Kentucky horse racing, but told from a semi-outsider point of view, it manages to bring the girl sleuth into the present day with its podcast framework. I wrecked the serial format for myself by reading an ARC from cover to cover in 24 hours, but I forgive myself…and look forward to listening to it in its intended format when it comes out next week.
Evie
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was such an awesome format, especially for a murder mystery. Every episode ended on a cliffhanger and it was so neat reading bite-sized pieces of fiction every week. Don't get me wrong, there were some weeks I couldn't believe I had to wait until next Wednesday for more. But there's something fun about enjoying a little bit at a time.

And the podcast made things a little repetitive but the pros outweighed the cons. I liked that there was expanded content so it didn't feel like you were just
Brandy
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been up sick all night, so what better way to pass the time than to finish a book? 🤢🤢
I was hooked from the first page on this one!!! I’m a lover of true crime documentaries and the ID channel. If you saw my DVR, you would think my boyfriend and I are weird, lol. Who’s with me? I feel like people’s stories deserve to be told and the killer brought to justice. The entire process fascinates me, as do the minds of these devious people who commit unthinkable crimes.

This book is about a college
Marcel Driel
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
M is for midnight, Mackenzie, and…murder. And I’m in love with Mackenzie Walker.

Serial Box is doing something different. Books that are written like tv-series. Ten episodes with a showrunner and a writing room, with different writers for each episode and the possibility to read them or listen to the enriched audiobook versions.

Dead Air is about Mackenzie and her podcast about solving a twenty year old murder, so choosing the audio version was a given. And it was glorious! The book is extremely w
Lise
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, mystery
This was a fun piece of fiction. It's about a citizen detective who has her own true-crime podcast. She starts off by dissecting a decades old murder which, she soon suspects, wasn't actually solved decades ago. Some of the twists and turns are familiar, but the overall story has some surprises as well, and the entire journey was enjoyable.

More to the point, I like Mackenzie as a protagonist. She's a complex enough character that there were times I didn't like her as a person, but I always found
Chad
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this more for the inventive format than for the actual story, I think. Dead Air exists as a podcast, a sort of fictional version of Serial. Then Dead Air the book tells the story behind the scenes of that podcast.

It's interesting to compare what the host shares in the public podcast vs in her private thoughts. The split in format neatly gets around the problem of most fake-Serial audio dramas, which have to increasingly stretch suspension of disbelief for why the entire dramatic action
Susan
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If you love true crime, podcasts and consider yourself a murderino then this book is tailor made for you! Apparently it was released as ten separate episodes but my library had this version which contains the entire season. This is a format I hadn't tried before and I was a bit surprised by how much I enjoyed it, although having the whole series in one go was essential. It would have been excruciating to have had to wait for each episode because this was relentlessly suspenseful. It was a really ...more
poesielos
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Im Großen und Ganzen war ich ganz zufrieden mit der Geschichte um Mackenzie Walker und ihren Podcast Dead Air, auch wenn es in den letzten Folgen etwas zu absurd bzw. zu einfach war? Die Autorinnen wollten den Fall einfach glatt lösen und darum noch ne Schleife binden, was ich jetzt nicht gebraucht hätte. Ein paar Aktionen von Mackenzie waren auch fragwürdig und haben ihrem Alter nicht ganz entsprochen... Jede Woche die neue Folge plus Podcastepisode war aber eine tolle Erfahrung, und von Serial ...more
Susan
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dead Air is an online serial that is able to be read or listened to on serialbox.com. I read part of the first episode but ended up listening to the entire season as it was narrated by Lynn Norris. This mystery tale is well written and engaging but I would encourage you to listen to it as much of the story revolves around the main character's podcast and the interviews she conducts with various people for that podcast. Well worth the 10 plus hours I spent listening to it.
Wendy
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun, fast paced mystery with enough heart and twists to keep me engaged. The different authors blended well.

I love Kentucky and it was cool to have a Lexington setting. I groused about the Derby section feeling off (that “oh, I forgot about Derby on Derby Day, better get going late...from Lexington to Churchill Downs” was weak), but otherwise it worked out. And, really, it was minor and had no bearing on story so...*shrug*.

Good stuff!

Amanda
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I really was into the story in the beginning but I lost someone my enthusiasm and need (to read) for the story. It started off great and had a lot of elements that I loved but by the end of the story I was a bit disappointed in how it went. There are some clichés and overall wasn’t surprising but I did enjoy it. I listened to the audio of this.
M.D.
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! This was the 3rd series I’ve “picked up” from Serial Box, and it had me absolutely engaged start to finish. Fed my Murderino soul.
Katie
Oct 30, 2018
Courtney Curran
Sep 23, 2018
Hilliary
rated it did not like it
Nov 06, 2019
Oct 25, 2018
Amber
Oct 28, 2018
Roni Loren
This was the first serial I've listened too, but I really enjoyed it!

• Alternis
  • Hopeless / Losing Hope / Finding Cinderella
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 1: Or is he Both?
  • A Sound of Thunder
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 2: The Green Door
  • The Vela
  • The Diaries of Adam and Eve
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 4: Abomination
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 3: Hulk In Hell
  • False Memory
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • The Truth Pixie (Christmas Series, #3.5)
  • Liebes Kind
  • Flickorna utan namn (Ellen Tamm, #4)
  • Ninth Step Station: The Complete Season 1 (Ninth Step Station #1.1-1.10)
  • Hjemvendt
  • Det innerste rommet (William Wisting, #13)
  • Ett fjärran Krig
Gwenda Bond is the author of many novels, primarily for young adults. Among others, they include the Lois Lane trilogy, which brings the iconic comic book character front and center in her own YA novels, and the Cirque American trilogy, about daredevil heroines who discover magic and mystery lurking under the big top. She and her husband author Christopher Rowe also co-write a middle grade series, ...more

Dead Air (2 books)
  • The Night of the Screaming Horses (Dead Air Season 1 Episode 1)