Start by marking “The Turn of the Key” as Want to Read:
The Turn of the Key

The Turn of the Key

When she stumbles across the ad, she’s looking for something else completely. But it seems like too good an opportunity to miss—a live-in nannying post, with a staggeringly generous salary. And when Rowan Caine arrives at Heatherbrae House, she is smitten—by the luxurious “smart” home fitted out with all modern conveniences, by the beautiful Scottish Highlands, and by this ...more
Expected publication: September 5th 2019 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Turn of the Key, please sign up.
Johnna | abookinmybag I discovered Ruth Ware in 2018, like, halfway through the year and devoured all but her first novel before the end of the year. I finished "In a Dark,…moreI discovered Ruth Ware in 2018, like, halfway through the year and devoured all but her first novel before the end of the year. I finished "In a Dark, Dark Wood" today and cannot wait to have this one in my possession. I hope she does a tour and comes close to my home! I would really like to get it and have it signed! (less)

Chelsea Humphrey
"Dear Mr. Wrexham,
You have no idea how many times I have started this letter and screwed up the resulting mess, but I've realized there is no magic formula here. There is no way I can make you listen to my case. So I'm just going to have to do my best to set things out. However long it takes, however much I mess this up, I'm just going to keep going and tell the truth."

And so begins our tale. I'm sure that, unless you've been walking around with your eyes closed and your ears plugged up, you've
Meredith
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, edelweiss
A nanny in jail accused of murdering one of the children in her care. This is her story.

When Rowan, a young nanny who lives in London, comes across for an ad seeking a nanny to live in a remote area of Scotland, it sounds too good to be true. The pay is high, the house is beautiful, and the family seems lovely. She is warned that previous nannies have quit due to the house being haunted. Rowan doesn’t believe in ghosts, so she pays no heed to the warning. She is hired for the position and packs
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This is my third book by the author so by this point I know she's great at creating an atmosphere, a creepy ambiance.

New nanny working for a family living in a remote house in Scotland. Past nannies leaving after the house seems haunted with its dark history and secrets... you get it.

It was interesting, even a bit unique since the main character wasn't likeable and that the format is through letters she's writing to a lawyer from prison since she's accused of murdering one of the child in her c
Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
I have read and enjoyed all of Ruth Ware’s books, therefore I was incredibly excited to be fortunate enough to receive an early review copy of The Turn of the Key. Being a fan of the author, it is very hard to write a review about a book that just didn’t WOW me. This was a good but I wouldn’t say great read.

I have recently read several books where we know what happens, what the “big tell” is at the beginning of the novel. We then work through the past events and how we got to this ending. This
Tammy
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A child is dead and a nanny is in prison while her trial is pending. This novel consists of a letter she is writing to a lawyer explaining her innocence of the murder and how she wound up incarcerated. The thing is she is not entirely blameless. One thing is certain: “if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.”
Debra
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up to a 4

While looking for something else, she comes across an ad for a live in Nanny post in the Scottish Highlands. The salary, the location, all seem too good to be true, but she decides to take a chance and apply for the position. When Rowan Caine begins her job, she had no idea that things would go so horribly wrong or that a child would die, and she would be in prison awaiting trial for murder.

This book is her letter to a potential lawyer. She is writing to him explaining
Holly  B
The new nanny, Rowan Caine, has her hands full at Heatherbrae House.

This was my fourth novel by the author and I had to see how this one would compare.

I've read several "nanny" stories and find myself drawn to the whole idea of having someone live in your home and act as a child minder. Rowan gets this "dream" nanny job and finds out that the last several nannies didn't work out.

The house was probably my favorite aspect of the story. It was renovated to be a "smart" home and the owners could
marilyn
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
This is my first Ruth Ware book and I plan to read more because of the good things I've read about her books. The Turn of the Key takes place in an old home, Heatherbrae House, that has been restored faithfully in parts of it while other parts have been gutted and transformed into the most modern of homes. The entire home has "smart home" features which seem to have been set to an overly intrusive level. Not only that, the features don't always work as intended or don't work at all, making the h ...more
Katie B

Out of the four Ruth Ware novels I have read (still need to get to The Lying Game), this one is my favorite. While I liked her other books, either my interest would wane a bit and/or I had an idea or two about the ending. With this book, my eyes were practically glued to the pages because I really had no clue where the author was going to go with the story. This was a fun read for me which is all I really wanted when I picked up the book.

A nanny is in prison awaiting trial for murder. S
Book of Secrets
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved it! THE TURN OF THE KEY is creepy, twisted, and disturbing, and totally absorbing — a modern-day The Turn of the Screw, but far more entertaining.

Rowan Caine’s new dream job as nanny for the seemingly perfect Elincourt family quickly turned into her worst nightmare. Their remote home in the Scottish Highlands called Heatherbrae House was an unusual hybrid of modern “smart” design and spooky Gothic Victorian. Inside its walls, cameras were watching, machines were listening for
Peter
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, thriller
Disconcerting
Turn of the Key is an unnerving story told by a murder suspect as she recounts the background and incidents leading to the death of a child while she was its nanny. Rowan Caine is the nanny and she is writing the story in the form of a letter to a solicitor, Mr Wrexham, requesting his services to defend her. Within the story, there are periodic passages where she speaks directly to Mr Wrexham outlining how her story may be considered and continuously stating her innocence, no matter
JanB
A child is dead and Rowan, the nanny, is in prison for the murder. From there the story is told in a letter the nanny writes to her lawyer. This isn't a spoiler, it's literally how the book starts.

A haunted creepy smart home central to the story sounded intriguing but there was nothing creepy about it. It was nothing more than a home wired with Google Home on steroids. The malfunctioning technology didn’t build tension, it just felt like something that would annoy me. Although there are rumors o
Carol (Bookaria)
Another engaging novel from one of my favorite authors!

The story starts with Rowan, a former babysitter who is now imprisoned, we do not know the details of how she got there but she's writing a letter to an attorney asking for help. In the letter she slowly reveals the events that led her to where she is now.

I love Ruth Ware's books because they have a classic feel to it, the stories have gothic undertones and she reveals pieces of the story in a way that keeps you interested and wanting to kno
karen
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
ruth ware, take two.

i will be reviewing this for l.a. review of books.
Ginger
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc
Full review up!
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley.

The Turn of the Key is the new book by Ruth Ware. I’ve read a few books by her and I was excited to get approved for this advanced reader copy.

The Turn of the Key has lots of great things in the plot and writing. The main characters are also well done and different. You suspect everyone is guilty and I love when a book makes me paranoid of everyone.

The book starts with Rowan Caine writing a letter to an
Paulette
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was blown away by this book, I would have read it in one sitting, but unfortunately, I had to go to work (very inconvenient)!

This book is super creepy, it’s a page turner, with so many great twists I couldn’t keep up…. It is my favorite Ruth Ware novel to date.

We have nanny (Rowan) await trial for murder of a child in her care. The story is told through Rowans eyes, in letters scribed to her lawyer of the events leading up to her incarceration.

She tells her story from the beginning how she ca
Monika Sadowski
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew that book by Ruth Ware will be good, but I didn’t suspect that it’s going to be sooo good. Creepy, fast pace, twisty and keeping me on the edge from the first to the last page. Hunted house, wired family and one nanny who tries to figure out what is happening around her. Just one day, fantastic read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Gallery/Scout Press for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Erin Clemence
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, kindle
Finally! The Ruth Ware novel I have been waiting for!

“The Turn of the Key” is the newest novel by Ruth Ware, author of The Woman in Cabin 10, The Lying Game and The Death of Mrs. Westaway, to name a few. I found these books moderately entertaining, more middle-of-the-road, not-living-up-to-expectations novels, but “Key” is exactly what I’ve been missing.

When Rowan Caine sees an ad in a newspaper seeking a live-in nanny, she is intrigued. Even though it isn’t what she expected, Rowan is impress
Sam Quixote
May 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Rowan accepts an extremely well-paid nanny position for the wealthy parents of four young girls at their Scottish country house. But that was in the past - Rowan’s currently in jail awaiting trial for the murder of one of the girls. She says it wasn’t her. But was it - or was it the ghosts of the old house?

I’d hoped The Turn of the Key would be a return to form for Ruth Ware, especially as I’m a fan of horror, but it’s just another junky novel, the only kind she seems able to produce now.

The t
Patricia
I was really excited to receive my copy of THE TURN OF THE KEY; I love reading Ruth Ware! Rowan Caine begins a "too good to be true" job as a live in nanny in an incredibility "smart" home for a fantastically great salary. People are keeping secrets while the atmosphere get more and more tense. Get prepared for a couple of surprises you'll never see coming! I highly recommend this novel.
Dennis
I'm torn between 3 and 4 stars, but since it's Ruth Ware (and the fact that I loved the story, for the most part), I'll bump it up. Turn of the Key is Ware's fifth novel, and I'll tell you right now that all five of them are worth binge-reading (well, maybe not The Lying Game hehe). Turn of the Key is the most suspense-driven novel that Ware has provided readers yet; with it's slow building suspense oozing from the pages.

Rowan Caine lives around London, working as a daycare instructor at Li
Marialyce
Ruth Ware has always been a go to author for suspense, mystery, and a downright spooky factor in all her stories. I have loved her books, so when I had an opportunity to read an advanced copy of her new book, I jumped at the chance.

What I liked about the book was the aura of the Gothic, something I feel this author excels at. However, that was not enough to save a story that came to an implausible conclusion. I enjoyed the first half of the book, loved the concept of a modern home being resurrec
Umut Reviews
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm afraid 3 stars is the most I can give to this book. I really like Ruth Ware's writing. I was a fan of The Death Of Mrs Westaway, eagerly waiting for this novel.
The title refers to The Turn Of The Screw, the horror novel of Henry James, which has a similar premise.
Our protagonist is Rowan, a nanny who got a job to look after 4 kids in an old manor house taken up by a family and renovated inside with high tech 'Smart House' tools. The story is told from her perspective written in letter form
Jonathan Maas
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Putting a 5 Star Review here.

This is not released yet, but considering all other Ruth Ware books are 7/5 stars for me, this will be 5/5 stars on average even if it is just blank pages.
Paromjit
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is Ruth Ware's latest offering, a chiller of a psychological thriller with its central protagonist, 24 year old Rowan Caine working in childcare in London. She is looking for another post when she come across an incredible job as a live in Nanny for the Elincourt family, the parents Bill and Sandra are architects, living in the remote Scottish Highlands, and the pay for the post is unbelievable. If there is one thing you should beware of, it is that if a job sounds to be too good to be true ...more
Erin
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Thanks to Netgalley and Simon&Shuster Canada for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

A Nanny accused of murder...a haunted Scottish home...a cast of suspicious characters...well, bless your heart and take my money!

As the story begins, twenty four year old Rowan Caine is writing to a lawyer that she hopes will overturn the murder sentence of a child in her charge. Through flashbacks, the young nanny explains her arrival at Heatherbrae House and the days leading up to the mu
Cyndi
I’m a huge Ruth Ware fan and have read and enjoyed all of her books, but this was by far my favorite. Right from the start, we learn that the protagonist, Rowan, is in prison writing to employ the help of a solicitor to help her overturn the charge of murder for which she is incarcerated. And then she dives right into her story. I was captivated from the very start and would have read this straight through had I unlimited time to read.

Rowan travels to isolated northern Scotland to become a nann
Laura Rash
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark and a tad bit creepy-but that’s what makes a Ruth Ware book so good! Not quite what I expected when all was said and done which is a good thing bc I didn’t see where it was heading at all.
Emily May
Apr 22, 2019 marked it as arc-2019
Shelves: mystery-thriller, arc

ARC provided in exchange for honest review 🗝
Katie (katieladyreads)
Easy, fast read but nothing new or exciting here. Felt a little bit too similar to the death of Mrs. westaway.

• Untitled
  • Lock Every Door
  • Mrs. Everything
  • The Mother-in-Law
  • I Know Who You Are
  • The Hiding Place
  • After the End
  • Save Me from Dangerous Men (Nikki Griffin, #1)
  • The Last House Guest
  • Dear Wife
  • They All Fall Down
  • The Night Before
  • When All Is Said
Ruth Ware grew up in Sussex, on the south coast of England. After graduating from Manchester University she moved to Paris, before settling in North London. She has worked as a waitress, a bookseller, a teacher of English as a foreign language and a press officer. She is married with two small children, and In a Dark, Dark Wood is her début thriller.

Find her on twitter at www.twitter.com/ruthwarew