Start by marking “Dreaming the Hound (Boudica, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dreaming the Hound (Boudica, #3)

Dreaming the Hound (Boudica #3)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  1,359 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
In a spellbinding novel of gods and men, myth and brutality, acclaimed author Manda Scott returns to her heralded saga of a world under siege. For here is the epic tale of Boudica, the legendary Celtic queen, and her embattled Eceni tribe—a bold new work of imaginative fiction that takes us on a thrilling journey into a clash between magic and mankind.

To the Eceni tribe o
Published January 31st 2006 by Spectra (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming the Hound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming the Hound

Tamara Agha-Jaffar
Dreaming the Hound by Manda Scott is the third book in a four-book series about the Celtic warrior Boudica who led the tribes of Britannia against their Roman invaders.

This is the most exciting book in the series so far. It lacks the long, drawn out, complex battle maneuvers of Dreaming the Eagle (#1) and the unconvincing transformation in Dreaming the Bull (#2) of Bán of the Eceni tribe into Julius Valerius of the Roman military.

The novel is full of interesting twists and turns, allegiances and
Eric
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Author Manda Scott does well with her interpretation of the sketchy historical facts around Britannia in the late 50s to 60 AD. The author admits to fantasy and has a love for the "dreamers." And once again, as any reader of history knows, man knows no limits for his ability to inflict cruelty upon his fellow man. Not for the faint of heart, given no love lost between the Roman invaders and the Celtic tribes.

Onto book four, Dreaming the Serpent Spear (Boudica, #4) by Manda Scott, Dreaming the Serpent Spear
Ronda  Tutt
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, fiction
Amazing and Mind Boggling!

With this 3rd book in the 4 book series I can tell you each book gets into more dept of Boudica's life. The story is truly amazing with the sacrifices that Boudica takes to ensure her leadership role for her tribe the Eceni in order to raise an army to push back Rome. The Romans see the Tribes as savages yet Rome's actions are brutally horrifying and worse than any savage actions. Rome's greed knows no boundaries and becomes hungry with their taxation of the tribes good
Sam
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this third installment of the Boudica series, the characters were again brilliantly written and the storyline believable and once again well researched. Scott has continues to recreate the intricacies of Celtic Britain and the Roman Empire very well with a distinct attention to detail that continues to support the story. Each character continues to be developed well and the situations that arise are again handled and written well and portrayed in a manner to make each as relevent to the ...more
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dreaming the hound is book 3 of the Boudica series, and this is definitely the best one so far. The characters have been grown layer by layer over the last two books, so that by this book, the writing is extremely vivid and absorbing and the characters delightfully complex and believable. I really loved reading this book, and am looking forward to the fourth and last installment (which is on my birthday/Christmas wishlist, so I'll have to wait a bit). Five stars and a wholehearted recommendation ...more
Morgan Dhu
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
In Dreaming the Hound, the third volume of Manda Scott's Boudica quartet, the focus of the narrative returns to Breaca and her brother Ban, also known as Julius Valerius.

Breaca has returned to her own people, the Eceni, with her children Cunomar and Graine, and her step-daughter Cynfa. Now married to the Eceni leader Prasutogas, a client-king of Rome, she hides in plain sight from the Romans, who would gladly kill her if they ever connected the new queen of the Eceni with the war leader Boudica
Mark
The first book in this quadrilogy was a little slow but still well written and never failed to grip the interest of the reader.
However, after reading the second book and now the third the saga really does pick up speed making both books into real page turners. The figures all start to take on a real depth of character but only due to the good basis laid out in the first book.
It has been criticised that this quadrilogy is based on the classic model or metaphor of the greedy, profit driven, reso
Graham Crawford
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
After a rather messy Book 2 - Manda Scott is back in form with "Dreaming the Hound". I am in two minds about this series now as it's turning out to have a lot more hippy new age Celtic neo-paganism than I'd bargained for. I'm sure this opened up a big new fan-base for Scott's books (and her "Dreaming" workshops), but this sort of wishy-washy Celtic mist masquerading as history sets my teeth on edge.

On the plus side, I really enjoy Scott's considered interpretations of Tacitus in light of recent
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real page turner. Obviously you have to suspend disbelief somewhat at the "mythical" side of things, but - as we know so little about the ancient celts culture, who is to say she's wrong really!

I still feel conflicted about Ban/Valarius. Would he really have gone over to the Roman's side so readily as a young adult. Surely as soon as he was an adult he would have tried to get back home to Eceni. Even if his family were dead, he had a strong bond with the rest of the tribe. I was never convince
Shmendrick
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This probably my fourth or fifth time re-reading this book and I fall more in love with it every time. I find Graine's character slightly as she does feel overly perfect in this book but she's still a likeable character. I have to admit I was slightly confused by the appearance of Gunovar as in the first book Gunovic's family was said to have been taken by slavers and there was no mention of a daughter among the tribes but I liked her as well. Valerius just gets better with every book and his re ...more
Jane
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This series has gotten better through each book. I am enjoying the most the story of Bán/Valerius, the conflicted brother of Boudica, caught between two cultures--Briton and Roman. I appreciate each prologue, told by a narrator, which recounts the action in the previous volumes. I'm pretending that who the author means by 'dreamers' we would call Druids.
Barbara
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Now well invested in this series, I devoured Dreaming the Hound and was delighted to learn today that there is a fourth instalment - Dreaming the Serpent-Spear. The characters are wonderfully developed and many became a part of my circle of friends while others became my arch enemies as I became totally immersed in this thrilling story.
Bethany
May 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
I really love this series. I am a huge fan, I love the descriptions, the charcters, the plots. They are so well created and usually in a book there are parts that flow and others that re rather heavy going but in this it all just creates a lovely image in my head. Ban is one of my favourite characters of all time as he is just a wonderful character with a tortured soul that just appeals to me.
Airmid
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Es un libro coral, al igual que los anteriores, en el cual se incorpora un nuevo personaje: Graine (que tambien es encantador). De los tres es el que más rápido terminé y se narra los acontecimientos que despiertan la furia de Boudica.
Gitte
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm generally not a reader of series and I even thought I would have tired of reading about Breaca, but that is definately not the case. Last night I just had to read on to get to the end of this book. (Needles to say, I was left with a short night.)
Because the historical story of Boudica is little told and known in my neck of the woods (it is mentioned as an anecdote in history lessons, but that's it) the ending took me by surprise. And now I'm torn between wanting to read the last book and wa
Nadia
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a much more engaging and action packed novel than the 2nd of the series. I enjoyed getting more inside the mind of the Boudica and gaining an understanding of her motivations. I value the detail which Manda endows this quadrilogy with bringing the reader an unknown depth and comprehension. I look forward to the final instalment with glee.
Sandra
There is something in reading these that takes me mentally back to pre-teen when, had they been available, I would likely have devoured them, over and over. Nowadays I put the appeal down to Manda Scott's writing, it's clarity and ability to set scenes so vividly without recourse to over-burdened description..
Nicki
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ve always pondered what year I’d like to time travel to— I think this is it. Fascinated by this culture. Thoroughly enjoying this series. I’m surprised Boudica’s story isn’t adapted more often into film. Excited for the final book. ...more
Annette Traicos
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book. Beautifully written .
Jen Ponce
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
How did I not know this was #3 in a series, dang it? Probably because I got it from the library and they didn't have the rest. I'll go back and see. I think it was a great story, lovely writing, and neat world building. It's definitely on the side of historical fantasy instead of historical fiction, what with all the dreaming and telepathy etc ... but it was great.
Lauren
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epics
So I enjoyed Dreaming the Hound even more and even less than the rest of the Boudica books. My main issue with the book was Boudica and her daughters after Prasutagus died. Because Boudica is an amazing warrior along with her half - daughter. So I just don't understand how they were captured and then raped by the Roman guards. A warrior of such immense power like Boudica wouldn't have let that happen, right? But other than that fault the book was amazing. I loved having Ban/ Valerius find his wa ...more
Lorina Stephens
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Certainly Manda Scott must be applauded for her research into the era and subject matter, as her surrounding details are vibrant and for the most part credible. Characters are larger than life. Were this marketed as historical fantasy, certainly many of my criticisms would disappear. However, the entire Boudica series is, alas, not marketed as historical fantasy, rather as historical fiction, and it is there I find fault. Why? There are several reasons, however foremost of these is the overarchi ...more
A. Murtagh
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
It's been so long since I read these that I can't remember what happens in which book, but I just had to leave a review saying that, as well as being generally ridonculously gritty and well-written, these books had one of the greatest characters I've ever read.

(view spoiler)
Ritiel
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great and tragic ending, or perhaps the great beginning of something…

This novel, and its historical note, made me see how hard can be write a historical novel with few facts and little information. And of course, it changed my perception of the series, and of Manda’s work. But it is not just for it, that Dreaming the Hound was to me a great novel.

The turnabouts presented in parts two and three of the series catches the reader, they create that impulse of continue reading, while, somehow the fi
Neill Smith
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Breaca is living on Mona, hunting Romans quietly and alone at night. Ban (Valerius) is a smith in Hibernia, away from the Eceni and the Romans. After the death of Veranius, the new governor of Britannia, Suetonius Paulinus, has been tasked with conquering the western tribes, a task he pursues with a vengeance as his tax collector tries to impoverish the tribes. When Breaca moves back to the Eceni homeland in the east to be ready to attack Camulodunum when Suetonius moves west, her life becomes t ...more
Ted Hopkins
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The word "Dreaming" in the title of all four books in this series is important. The dream-like quality moves these books more towards fantasy than would normally be expected of historical fiction. Unlike Pauline Gedge's covering of the same ground, Scott occasionally delves into magic to advance her plot. Scott's Boudica and Caradoc are both very different characters than Gedge's. An absorbing read.
Annette Jordan
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
The epic saga continues and the intersecting plots and relationships continue to be woven ever more tightly together. The horrific final few chapters see Breaca and her children in the hands of the Romans, and Ban/Valerius must try to rescue them before they are crucified.
This sets us up for the final book in the series
Fantastic historical setting with action and mystery and characters that are as fully alive in our imagination when we read as they were in ages past.
Deborah Pickstone
To my mind, this is picking up and up - it's not the first time I have read this. Probably my favourite series and, keeping in mind I have little use for fantasy - well, this is fantasy. So we all have some things that are just 'different'. I have to make use of my suspension of disbelief faculty but.....actually, I need to suspend disbelief that it's not real.
Brenna
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it

For the first time, the third book in a series stands up to the first two. The story is heart-breaking and you know it will only get worse in the fourth but there is also a sense of peace about the whole thing. I know I will be sad at the end of the fourth novel and will miss the characters I have come to love and respect.
Tanzanite
Apr 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
So far, the best of the three I have read. Still somewhat slow going, but the last 50 pages or so more than make up for it in emotional impact. Full review here: http://shelfandstuff.blogspot.com/200...
  • Rome: The Coming of the King (Rome, #2)
  • The Eagle and the Raven
  • Song of the North (Dalriada, #3)
  • The Gladiator (Eagle, #9)
  • Bard: The Odyssey of the Irish (Celtic World of Morgan Llywelyn)
  • Lion of the Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • Claudius (Rufus, #2)
  • Inquisition
  • Crusade (Brethren Trilogy, #2)
Novelist, columnist, blogger, podcaster, broadcaster and red-green activist, Manda Scott's novels have been shortlisted for an Orange Prize, nominated for an Edgar and dived into the endless iterations of TV adaptations. When she's not writing, she's studying for an MA in sustainable economics and figuring out how to save a world that may, in the end, not need saving.
Her latest novel, A Treachery
More about Manda Scott

Boudica (4 books)
  • Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1)
  • Dreaming the Bull (Boudica, #2)
  • Dreaming the Serpent Spear (Boudica, #4)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This