Start by marking “Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)” as Want to Read:
Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)

Tiamat's Wrath

(The Expanse #8)

4.58  ·  Rating details ·  30,969 ratings  ·  2,134 reviews

NOW A PRIME ORIGINAL SERIES

Thirteen hundred gates have opened to solar systems around the galaxy. But as humanity builds its interstellar empire in the alien ruins, the mysteries and threats grow deeper.

In the dead systems where gates lead to stranger things than alien planets, Elvi Okoye begins a desperate search to discover the nature of a genocide that happened bef

Published March 26th 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Tiamat's Wrath, please sign up.
Trebor Christmas has officially been cancelled! Those extra three months are going to feel like one of those cereal box offers where you have to wait 6-8 wee…moreChristmas has officially been cancelled! Those extra three months are going to feel like one of those cereal box offers where you have to wait 6-8 weeks for delivery. It felt like an eternity when you were a little kid. I will persevere!(less)

·  30,969 ratings  ·  2,134 reviews

Start your review of Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)
Reader from PT
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeaaaaahh....

Kevin Kelsey
“The universe is always stranger than you think. It didn’t matter how broad her imagination was, how cynical, how joyous and open, how well researched or wild minded. The universe was always stranger. Every dream, every imagining, however lavish and improbable, inevitably fell short of the truth.”

March 26th rolls around, my copy of Tiamat’s Wrath, the penultimate novel in the long running Expanse series downloads to my Kobo, I pick it up and read the first sentence. Four words, three of them inn
Bradley
Wow. Just wow.

I'm really afraid to say just about anything for fear of spoiling the crap out of this novel. It's just one of those things. I mean, I counted three times I cried and I won't tell you whether it is tears of rage, sadness, or happiness. That would be TELLING, you know?

But if I'm okay with being all general and gushy and stuff, and if anyone has read any of my reviews, they know I am, then I'll just go, "Oh, wow, What A NOVEL."

Duarte's Empire and the Resistance. There are no whiny ne
Petrik
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have a Booktube channel now! Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/petrikleo

4.5/5 stars

Wow. I take back what I said before. Tiamat’s Wrath surpassed Caliban’s War and Nemesis Games as the best installment of the series so far.

I'm finally caught up with the
Mario the lone bookwolf (semi reviewing hiatus )
Right before the end, now everything is coming together, well prepared over the last years and the resolutions and new connections feel so right, realistic, just perfect, I would call it the best novel of this already great series.

Evil aliens related to an ancient genocide in some of the systems aren´t so interested in an expanding humankind and will show their true potential for destruction in the grand finale.

The series shows the evolution and history of Sci-Fi, integrating many old and some
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Hell yes!! I knew the crew wouldn’t let me down!! My first 5 star of 2020 when others have been ok or crap! Woot!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
I can’t remember the last time I actually yelled at a book.

Coming back to this series felt like embracing family after being gone a few years… like coming home. In my mind, these characters are real people. Their development is so on-point, I always feel their triumphs and defeats poignantly. These authors are brilliant. And I have to say, they really set out to shred my soul with Tiamat’s Wrath. Holy shit.

Truth be told, I’ve been really apathetic lately with books. This is the first novel in a
Kemper
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space, expanse, sci-fi, 2019
If you’re a fan of this series the very first sentence will break your heart.

Do things get better after that? Let’s see what one of the characters has to say about the possibility of good things happening after bad things:

”Sometimes it’s just one shit sandwich after another.”

Truth.

So yeah, there are a couple of moments in this that absolutely suck if you’re invested in these characters. That’s not to say that all hope is lost, and that there aren’t some good fist-pumping “Hell yeah!” moments. Th
Ashley
One of these days I’m going to have to do a full-series Expanse re-read. Probably not until after next year, when the last book is published. But whenever that happens, I feel like this book might be worth five stars. Maybe the last one, too. I actually finished it when it was first published over two months ago, but I’m so far behind in my reviews, this one isn’t going to super informative. I remember it traumatizing me, but in a good way.

All that to say, this was a really solid penultimate nov
M.
I hate you, book.
I hate you,
I hate you,
I hate you.

I've been waiting all my life for a novel like this. Thank you, Daniel and Ty.
Silvana
Another excellent entry, nerve-wrecking as it was. It was beautiful. It was exhilarating. It was sad at times. Corey pulled some punches and hit me right in the gut. I think I cried twice in one day over this. Why? I was invested, that's why. I cared about the characters and their ordeal deeply, having stayed with them for the last, what, four years.

A lot of things I said about The Expanse novels in my previous reviews - except Persepolis Rising since I forgot to write one - and I will not repe
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/04/15/...

As the penultimate book in the epic Expanse series, Tiamat’s Wrath gives one the feeling of an entire galaxy holding its collective breath—things aren’t so much happening as they are preparing the field for the final play. And yet, if you’ve been on this train since the beginning, you’ll know that James S.A. Corey, the collaborative team of Daniel Abraham and Ty Frank writing as one, isn’t going to let that get in the wa
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.5 Stars - Video Review: https://youtu.be/oWtGyTmzisc
I just can't get enough of this epic space series and this latest installment did not disappoint!

As always, I loved getting to spend more time with the returning characters. I missed certain perspectives in this book, including few fan-favourites, but, by the end of the book, I understood why those choices were made.

As in previous installments, this book introduced new characters with their own POV chapters. Elvi’s chapters were among my favo
Mike
Look, we're at the eight Expanse book. If you don't know what you are getting yourself into by now I can't do much to help you. I will say that this installment is just as fresh, original, compelling, and exciting as the first seven (ok, so the fourth book was a little weak but the rest are stupendous). It immediately left me wanting the ninth book.

I do have one observation on the series as a whole. To me the theme of the series is how various social structures can act contrary to the needs of t
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 5: 4.5*
Book 6: 4*
Book 7: 4.5*
Book 8: 4.25*

I will say first and foremost this setup book 9 which is supposed to be the final installment to be quite the epic conclusion. Those last two lines of dialogue were so simple but the ramifications anything but.

The problem, and it's a minor quibble, with most of these books in the series is it takes forever to get momentum. Lollygag, review, renew acquaintances while slow burning the story. In the end i
Efka
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, war, space-opera
Tiamat's Wrath started so bad for me, that at some point I've wondered will it be more than two stars. The first 1/3 of the book had been slower than a turtle race, full of contemplations and prolonged thoughts and musings about life and almost an instruction-level technological details, but no action whatsoever. It had been quite hard - or, more like, boring - to read this book at that moment, so I guess no wonder it took me quite a while to finish this book.

Luckily, when the action finally st
Aoife
Christopher
"...But as humanity builds its interstellar empire in the alien ruins, the mysteries and threats grow deeper."

NO! After 8 books, mysteries and threats don't grow deeper! They get resolved! Enough already!

The bait-and-switch of the Expanse continues with more teasing of revelations regarding the protomolecule and the aliens that build the ring-gates that opened up the universe to exploration. But as before, the authors are able to take the premise of the EXPANSION of humanity across the universe
Emily
Another iffy installment in this series. Why not more stars? A few reasons - the book was super slow at the beginning (actually in the middle too), Naomi's storyline was really boring, Holden was barely in the book (not enough Amos either), and the plot doesn't seem to be progressing - none of the big questions were answered or even partly answered. All we get is more questions.

I do like this series, but find the books to be hit and miss. I don't think I'll reread the entire thing before the fi
Jamie
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They really blew the roof off this one! With Tiamat's Wrath it feels like all the pieces are coming together in a long anticipated crescendo in the thrilling, endearing and immensely satisfying journey that is The Expanse.

The story is equal parts riveting, sentimental and somber, revealing the best of humanity side by side with the worst in a galaxy wide struggle for freedom from oppression and exploitation and a looming alien threat to all of humanity. There are some stunning plot twists and re
Lindsay
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
If the previous book was Bobby and Amos's book, this one is Naomi, Alex and Holden's, with a strong introduction of Teresa Duarte as a point-of-view character and the reintroduction of Elvi Okoye as another.

Laconia has won and Wilson Duarte is now the High Consul of an empire that spans 1,300 star systems, including Earth and Medina station, with complete control over the gate network. Bobby, Alex and Naomi are leading the underground forces against the Laconians but things look grim for any res
Shaun Hutchinson
Gutted. But Tiamat’s Wrath was so freaking good. Sad that this is the penultimate book in the series. I’m going to hate to say goodbye to these characters.
Jack +Books & Bourbon+
It’s hard to believe that it has been over two years since I read the last Expanse book…and yet it seems like no time at all has passed. It’s a testament to just how busy things have been in my world that it took me over a year after the publication date to get to the next book in my favorite space opera series. But though I’ve had to be much pickier with my reading list, I knew I was in good hands with Tiamat’s Wrath, as I have yet to be disappointed by any of the entries in this series.

Another
Veronique
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, r2019, scifi
After reading Persepolis Rising and dealing with all the changes the authors made, I wondered how they would follow on in this sequel. As it happens, exceedingly well :O)

The narrative picks up a short time after the events of the previous novel, with our crew separated and dealing with Duarte’s despotism, in control of all humanity in his empire. As always, we have several narrators, with Holden still being the constant but in a reduced fashion, echoing his prisoner status on Laconia. Naomi, Bob
Trish
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wild ride! This is the 8th book in the The Expanse series and, as far as I know, the penultimate novel. As such, it was time to up the game, for shit to REALLY hit the fan - and boy, did it ever!

After Duarte took over, defeating the Earth-Mars coalition in the previous book, we now get a more or less firmly established empire. Laconia is the capital, ruling thousands of worlds much like Rome did so long ago.
Our favourite ragtag band is split up: Holden is a prisoner at Laconia, Naomi is
Doug
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book but a bit boring at first.

The lack of momentum at the start is surprising because this is the eighth book in a great series, and the seventh installment ended with a really tantalizing cliffhanger. So, I was totally caught off-guard when I just could not get into this book. It's true that I was a bigger fan of this series for the first four entries when the alien stuff was front-and-center. Ever since the fifth book, the series has become more about intra-human political drama, and
Rob
Executive Summary: It's hard to say why I gave this book 5 stars without massive spoilers, so I'll simply say that I was always looking for reasons to keep listening, and had I been reading it instead I would have finished it much sooner.

Audiobook: Another great job by Jefferson Mays. Early on I didn't find him that impressive, but when he didn't do Cibola Burn I realized how much I liked him for the series. I'm not sure if he's a narrator that I'd pick up another series for, but he's the only o
Kate
I've just finished this and I'm speechless - it is superb! One senses that the end is near but Tiamat's Wrath is every bit as good as the very best of The Expanse. Completely engrossing, disturbing and troubling, full of heart and sacrifice, packed with action, and with an alien threat that is as thoroughly terrifying as it is mysterious. Bravo! Review to follow imminently on For Winter Nights.
William
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5+ Stars Extraordinary.

Book after book after book, each one somehow better than the previous, all of them 5+ Stars.

Tiamat's Wrath is astounding and wonderful and very, very sad. Be prepared for tears.

As usual with my reviews, please first read the publisher’s blurb/summary of the book. Thank you.

Okay, here it is: If you haven't read the previous books, then start with book #1, Leviathan Wakes and enjoy what is definitely the greatest space opera series of all time.

Full size image here

17%
Tere
C.T. Phipps
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

TIAMAT'S WRAITH is the latest volume of the Expanse. The Expanse struck science fiction like a breath of fresh air and is basically serving as Game of Throne's slightly less successful brother in bringing genre fiction to the mainstream. It's a high concept series about wealth, power, politics, and an alien molecule that defies the laws of physics. Honestly, you can tell how much I like the Expanse in the fact that I'd still be happy to read the series if

• Children of Ruin (Children of Time, #2)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • The Consuming Fire (The Interdependency, #2)
  • Fall; or, Dodge in Hell
  • Salvation Lost (Salvation Sequence #2)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • Dark Age (Red Rising Saga, #5)
  • All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1)
  • The Light Brigade
  • Children of Time (Children of Time, #1)
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency, #1)
  • Salvation (Salvation Sequence #1)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)

The Expanse (9 books)
  • Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
  • Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2)
  • Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
  • Cibola Burn (The Expanse, #4)
  • Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)
  • Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse, #6)
  • Persepolis Rising (The Expanse, #7)
  • Leviathan Falls (The Expanse, #9)

Articles featuring this book

“Distributed responsibility is the problem. One person gives the order, another carries it out. One can say they didn’t pull the trigger, the other that they were just doing what they were told, and everyone lets themselves off the hook.” 20 likes
“There are people I love. There are people who have loved me. I fought for what I believed, protected those I could, and stood my ground against the encroaching darkness. Good enough.” 17 likes