Start by marking “The Art of Natural Family Planning” as Want to Read:
The Art of Natural Family Planning

The Art of Natural Family Planning

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The Art of Natural Family Planning by John and Sheila K. Kippley.4th Edition The most complete and user-friendly book on Natural Family Planning: All the basics: how to identify the 3 common signs of fertility and infertility How to use them in the cross-checking Sympto-Thermal Method How to space babies with Ecological Breastfeeding Morality: Is there an Issue?
Published January 1st 1996 by Couple to Couple League Intl (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Natural Family Planning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Natural Family Planning

Ebookwormy1
Mar 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
First of all, I should probably state for the record that neither my husband nor myself are Catholic. That being said, we really believe the Catholic Church gets some things right and does a better job of it than the protestant/ non-denominational group we attend. One of these areas is in the area of the dignity of all human beings grounded in their creation by God. This book is written out of that conviction. It is a unequivically pro-life examination of birth control.

We (my husband and I) wer
Karin
Oct 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Karin by: Rose, Kelly
This book was really great with lots more info than I ever thought possible on Natural Family Planning. It included info on various methods of birth control as well as various sterilization methods. Of course, it was biased, but some of this, I had never heard anyone questioning. things like, are there any repercussions to tubal ligation or vasectomy? It turns out that there are. Some of the religious chapters read more into some scriptures than I thought was there, however there was also lots o ...more
Heather
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a re-read. As I approach menopause and have various lifestyle and health issues that affect fertility, I wanted to brush up on natural family planning practices. This is an excellent book for any woman who wants to become familiar with how her fertility and body works. I think the scientific information in it should be taught to all girls. That there is a way to regulate family planning without the use of hormones, spermicides, implants, patches and barrier methods is a blessing to women ...more
Melina
Apr 04, 2010 rated it it was ok
Difficult to understand, as it is written very awkwardly and full of odd jargon. I already am well-versed in NFP from Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler, where it is written and explained in a much more easily comprehended manner. The Kippley book takes what should be simple and describes it in such a manner that I ended up feeling like I had taken and failed a course in calculus. A NFP book should not read like a theoretical physics textbook!

My only positive remark is I do appreci
Jan 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: married or engaged Catholic or Orthodox couples
Shelves: catholicism
It's true that I'm glad that the Couple to Couple League has moved away, both theoretically and practically, from the Kipley's. Their heavy handed treatment of "ecological breastfeeding" coupled with their promotion of radical "attachment parenting" probably alienates more woman than it actually convinces them to stay at home with their babies strapped to themselves 24/7 in the role of human pacifier. But even though I am critical of certain chapters of this book, it is an invaluable resource fo ...more
Jen
Dec 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: no one- there has to be a better one than this out there people
Recommended to Jen by: mom
Reading it was a chore, almost as much a chore as waking up a half hour before really waking up and taking an oral temp reading. And charting what might be called um, discharge or secretions (this would be the same way one might call a zit a blemish).

But not taking the pill or using condoms was worth it. Plus, I found a basal thermometer with a memory so I could take the temp and press the button and chuck that puppy across the room and hunt for it after the sun rose.

Karen L.
Feb 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
I wish I had discovered this book many years ago! For the past 10 years this book has blessed my husband's and my marriage. Family planning and following a woman's natural cycle of fertility is so much more peace giving than artificial birth control. This book teaches you how to love children , your spouse and wisely plan a family.
Elizabeth
Oct 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference, family
This is the book that was used in the Natural Family Planning course my husband and I took before we got married. We still have our copy. It is written from a Catholic perspective on some of the why's but all the how information is in there on Natural Family Planning.
Feb 05, 2009 rated it liked it
This is basically a textbook! Not something you sit down and read cover to cover. FULL of information, a little bit too complicated to absorb all at once, a little bit overkill. I also have Honoring Our Cycles, which teaches the exact same information in a tenth of the pages.
RF
Dec 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-women
We used this text in our NFP class before we got married. Its more detailed and a denser read than "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Wechsler.
Courtney
Jul 19, 2010 rated it liked it
I didn't understand everything in this book, but it still helped me. I have a creative mind, not scientific. However, I was able to get just enough information to put the principles into practice.
Audrey
Packed away for the move.
Cris
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: eclectic
This is a good manual, but when it comes to NAPRO you want always the latest thing. The newest book has simpler formulas.
Jenn
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Full of wonderful information!
Erik
Dec 07, 2009 marked it as to-read
Recommended by James Schall in Another Sort of Learning, Chapter 15, as one of Fourteen Books on the Value and Defense of Human Life.
Mellony
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It was a great tool for learning to recognize my body's natural cycles.
Lauren Becker
Jun 05, 2014
Rev. Phillip
Sep 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
John F. Kippley has been active in the family planning movement since 1968 and co-authored The Art of Natural Family Planning with his wife, Sheila. Recently they wrote an on-line manual—Natural Family Planning, launched a website (www.NFPandmore.org), and founded NFP International. Mr. Kippley has also written Marriage Is For Keeps and many articles, some of which are available at their website.
More about John F. Kippley