Start by marking “The Five People You Meet in Heaven” as Want to Read:
The Five People You Meet in Heaven

The Five People You Meet in Heaven

(The Five People You Meet in Heaven)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  541,024 ratings  ·  19,295 reviews
'All endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time...'

On his eighty-third birthday, Eddie, a lonely war veteran, dies in a tragic accident trying to save a little girl from a falling cart. With his final breath, he feels two small hands in his - and then nothing. He awakens in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a lush Garden of Eden but a
Published September 2nd 2005 by Time Warner Paperbacks (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Five People You Meet in Heaven, please sign up.
Karim Farag Definitely yes, Albom used simple, clear language in this book.

·  541,024 ratings  ·  19,295 reviews

Start your review of The Five People You Meet in Heaven
AJ Griffin
Jul 27, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: drippy, sentimental pieces of shit who love lifetime tv movies
what providence: i just remembered this book after I read some holier-than-though pretentious bullshit Mitch Albom wrote about Harry Potter. Mr. Albom-Winfrey seems to think the mass marketing of Harry Potter has ruined the theoretical lives of such figures as Winnie the Pooh, Clifford, Curious George, etc., despite that his own shitty books have been thrust upon the world under the same kind of marketing blitz.

As if I weren't annoyed enough at his article, I was subsequently reminded of this
Fretty
Oct 08, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: novel
"Lost love is still love, Eddie. It just takes a different form, that's all. You can't hold their hand... You can't tousle their hair... But when those senses weaken another one comes to life... Memory... Memory becomes your partner. You hold it... you dance with it... Life has to end, Eddie... Love doesn't."

The book that taught me the idea of death, God and life's never ending unanswered questions.

I vaguely remember when exactly I read this but I remember I read this couple of months before I
Gunne
Jul 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I don't understand the one star reviews for the book. Are these directed to the author, Mitch Albom, because he openly dissed the Harry Potter phenomena via a 594-word short story? Because as far as I can tell, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a decent piece of literature that doesn't deserve the harsh punishment (presumably) directed to its writer. It's well-written, has a handful of good quotes, and is overall an inspiring and personal take on one's idea of the moment between death and ...more
Charlotte May
Reread Feb 2019

No matter how many times I read this book, its effect on me remains the same. Heart breaking and heart warming in equal measure.

"Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves."

****************************************

Original review

This book led Mitch Albom to become one of my favourite authors.
It's such a wonderful idea, that when
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Five People You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Albom
The Five People You Meet In Heaven is a novel by Mitch Albom. It follows the life and death of a maintenance man named Eddie. Eddie is killed and sent to heaven, where he encounters five people who had a significant impact upon him while he was alive. It was published in 2003 by Hyperion and remained on the New York Times Best Seller list for 95 weeks.
عنوانها: پنج نفری که در بهشت به ملاقات شما میآیند؛در بهشت پنج نفر منتظر شما هستند؛ پنج وعده دیدار
Jamie
Aug 20, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the great things about checking out audiobooks from the public library is that I can take a chance on something I normally wouldn't buy, and I end up loving it. And then, of course, there are the times I take a chance on something I wouldn't normally like and end up really hating it as predicted. See if you can guess which is the case here by the end of this post.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is about Eddie, an amusement park maintenance guy who dies and goes to heaven. Spoiler
Ben
Jul 22, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My face tightens into a mean spirited frown, I grind my teeth, my head starts to burn, I clench my fists, I begin to tremble; there is a tightness in my stomach. I rip the telephone off the wall and throw it out my nine-story window onto the street; I let out a barbaric, guttural, king-of-the-jungle, ape-like scream. I feel my pulse beating in my neck, a blood vessel snaps in the back of my head. I flip over my couch, CRASH! I kick a hole in the middle of my T.V. I like that my shin is cut, ...more
Fergus
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT! Yet another sentimental old-timer gives this piece of jellied sugar syrup FIVE STARS? Y'er darned tootin', kid!

Take away the fancy Amazon gift wrap with its shiny veneer and the Good Housekeeping seal of approval (from the folks in the seniors' homes of course), and you have… WHAT?

A story of a broken old man who's had an excruciatingly hard life.

And YES - in the Real World people's hard lives CAN break them.

COMPLETELY.

TOTALLY.

UTTERLY.

Their hard lives can:

Wipe the floor with them.

Grind
James
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-fiction
I enjoyed this book. It had a great voice, interesting characters and good messages. I liked how each of the 5 people were connected in different ways, some surprise. The style grabs you. I thought it was a good intro to learn more about how this author writes. Spiritual without getting too religious. Witty and charismatic on some levels. Endearing to see how you watch other people live, as well as guess what happens when you die. I will definitely read more from the author.
Lyn
Jul 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strangely, obliquely, like The Alchemist because this inspires strong emotions - most people will either like it alot and find inspiration and meaning, or loathe it entirely and dismiss it as drivel.

Similar in tone and emotion with his novel Tuesdays with Morrie. I think that the greatest achievement of this story is the dreamlike, subconscious mood and setting the author creates. He can get a bit syrupy, but not too bad to make this contextually a problem.

Albom raises some interesting, thought
Claire
Apr 14, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I never had any desire to read this book (or Tuesdays with Morrie for that matter), but a girl in my LSAT class gave it to me to read, so I felt like I had to read it.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is an incredibly quick read. It has small pages with big font and the content is not at all challenging. You could easily read this book in a weekend. That said, I don't know if you would want to. While the book was mildly entertaining and held my interest (I kept wanting to know who Eddie would
Joelle

By Mitch Albom
208pp Passaic, New Jersey
ISBN-13: 9781401308582
Hyperion $10.80

This book was so amazing that it remained on the New York Best Seller List for 95 weeks. If the book wasn’t that marvelous why would it have remained there? Mitch Albom’s book The Five People You Meet In Heaven is an extraordinary book. You might think it’s a religious book because the title itself, but it isn’t.
Kellie
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006-reads
Phrynne
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4000-books
This was okay but not as good as either The First Phone Call from Heaven or The Time Keeper. It was a pleasant enough story but it failed to really engross me in the various happenings.
Partly I think I found it an extremely weird idea of what Heaven might be like. The five people seemed a strange collection to me and I could understand if Eddie felt a bit miffed by who he got! I must admit I started thinking who I might want for my five people .........
Putting any criticism aside I read the book
Jonathan Ashleigh
I get why old religious women might like this book, but it wasn't for me.
Paul
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-novels
Not at all my normal fare, but it was a last thing at night read. I am a sceptic, so again this would not be a book that would attract me; it’s not that I like the idea of the cessation of existence at death, but I think that’s what happens. So how come I read this? Occasionally I buy books at auction because they can be very cheap; this came with assorted others, so ended up on the shelves.
It’s very brief and could easily be read in one sitting and is about a fairground worker called Eddie. It
Johann (jobis89)
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
“All endings are also beginnings. We just don’t know it at the time.”

A maintenance man called Eddie dies and is sent to heaven, where he encounters five people - some known to him and some not - who each teach him a lesson.

If heaven truly exists, I sure hope it’s exactly like this! What sounds better than meeting up with loved ones who have gone before and have them explain to you the meaning of your life?

Religion and whether or not you believe in heaven or the afterlife is obviously a very
Rachel
Mar 31, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is just the most awful book I have ever read. I hate this book!
Erin
Buzzword A Thon
Golden Girls Read A Thon: Read a book under 200 pages

This is my 5th time reading this book. I can't explain why I love this book so much. I usually hate, Hate, HATE cheesy heartwarming stories like this.

And yet The Five People You Meet In Heaven just touches me on an emotional level.

Eddie is a grizzled old war veteran and widower, has spent the last 50 years working a job he hates at an amusement park and just feeling like his life has no meaning. Then on his 83rd birthday Eddie
Liz Janet
Jan 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Extreme simplification, ridiculous writing style, nonsense. Honestly, whatever this author was trying to do, whether making me cry tears of blood, philosophy over the meaning of life, or discover my connection with those around me, but he failed miserably at all of them.

How on the history of time was this book on the Bestseller list for over ninety weeks?
Mikha ϟ
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Maria Gad
" Lost love is still love, Eddie. It takes a different form, that's all. You can't see their smile or bring them food or tousle their hair or move them around a dance floor. But when those senses weaken, another heightens. Memory, Memory becomes your partner. You nurture it. You hold it. You dance with it"
THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN tells the story of Eddie, the head of maintenance department at a well-known amusement park. On his 83rd birthday, Eddie had a severe accident. Along with
Rachel Maniacup
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Rachel by: Aj the Ravenous Reader
Shelves: inspiring
Review to follow..
Shovelmonkey1
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people waiting for christmas
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: sheer profusion in local charity shops
I read this at Christmas but frankly after eating too many roasted vegetables, drinking too much merlot and making myself a comfortable nest out of discarded wrapping paper, I was disinclined to write a review. It's now six months later and I think I've finally worked off the last roasted potato so this seems like a timely juncture to write a review of The Five People You Meet in Heaven.

Eddie works at the amusement park on the Ruby Pier. He's 83 and probably due for retirement. On his birthday,
Aj the Ravenous Reader
The title alone got me reading this book and more when I found out the Mitch Albom wrote it since I am a big fan of his Tuesday's with Morrie. Though I did not like this book as much as I did Tuesday's, Mitch Albom again succeeded in inspiring his readers and moving them to have uniquely fresh view of death just like what he did in Tuesday's.
Christian Guzman
It’s interesting seeing how heaven is perceived in someone else’s eyes. I do believe there is an afterlife of some sort, but I don’t know what exactly lies there. I think the concept presented in this book in which you meet five people that in one way or another shaped your life or are interconnected to you is clever. Furthermore, they explain to you about your purpose, destiny, and their involvement in you. This made me think about how it is true, there are many circumstances which affect your ...more
Starjustin
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely well written by Mitch Albom, best-selling author of Tuesdays With Morrie. The main character, Eddie, dies and goes to heaven where he meets 5 people who help him transition from all that he needed to resolve in his earthly life in order to find tranquility and peace in heaven. Thoughtfulness, sacrifice, compassion, redemption and everlasting love.
I read this book once before but it seems to have come to light for me with this read. Highly recommended!
Vanessa
I appreciate the sentiments of this book, the messages although a little schmaltzy made you stop and think about your own reflections on life, the little differences and the impact you can make that can leave impressions on other people whether your aware of it or not. I wasn’t completely sold on the style of the writing or the overall message, as an agnostic I feel somewhat conflicted about the whole heaven thing so I feel 3 stars is being generous.
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess)
5 stars:

-If your going through grief, I think this book could be helpful. This author is superb.
Lizzy _3
This book is very imaginative I'll give the author that much at least. I don't know if I liked the story so much as the way it was written. Don't get me wrong, the story was very creative and it made you think, but he wrote so poetically it was hard for the words not to sink into your soul. The story was about a old crippled man named Eddie. Eddie worked at an amusement park called Ruby Pier and he was the head maintenance worker. The book starts on the day of his death. There was this little ...more
New Books jangal ...: The Five people You Meet in Heaven 1 10 Jul 01, 2019 09:29PM
Alka Tone Diet Pills 1 1 Jun 07, 2019 10:35PM
Furever Friends Play and Stay 1 2 May 24, 2019 02:30AM
Loosley Bound Boo...: FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN 1 4 May 21, 2019 07:14AM
The Worst Bestsel...: Episode 124 - The Five People You Meet in Heaven 1 24 May 20, 2019 09:42AM
The Five People You Meet in Heaven (uhhh yea.. whats this?) 56 649 Mar 29, 2019 08:14PM
A couple of question about this book. 3 17 Feb 21, 2019 04:42PM

• Heaven Is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
  • The Shack
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?
  • 90 Minutes in Heaven: A True Story of Death and Life
  • Left Behind (Left Behind, #1)
  • The Case for Christ
  • Eat, Pray, Love
  • The Great Divorce
  • The Help
  • Mere Christianity
Mitchell David Albom is an author, journalist, screenwriter, playwright, radio and television broadcaster and musician. His books have collectively sold over 35 million copies worldwide; have been published in forty-one territories and in forty-two languages around the world; and have been made into Emmy Award-winning and critically-acclaimed television movies.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven (2 books)
  • The Next Person You Meet in Heaven
“All endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time.” 4483 likes
“All parents damage their children. It cannot be helped. Youth, like pristine glass, absorbs the prints of its handlers. Some parents smudge, others crack, a few shatter childhoods completely into jagged little pieces, beyond repair.” 2979 likes