Start by marking “On Being a Servant of God” as Want to Read:
On Being a Servant of God

On Being a Servant of God

Sometimes people lose sight of the core of their ministry. They feel overwhelmed by the needs that surround them on a daily basis. Wise and beloved pastor Warren Wiersbe invites ministry leaders to listen in on thirty short "armchair chats" to encourage and strengthen them for service. He shares what he wishes he had known about ministering to others when he began his own ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Baker Books (first published February 1993)

To ask other readers questions about On Being a Servant of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Being a Servant of God

Start your review of On Being a Servant of God
Anne
More aimed towards those who really work as ministers or in the church community, but a very great book nonetheless that encourages you to keep going and be strong even when things don't go as you might expect them, or when dealing with difficult people who challenge your Faith. I really enjoyed it, and since I used to work as a volunteer in the Parish Office, it was very helpful to better understand what ministers and counsellors have to go through on a daily basis.
Ebookwormy1
Mar 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
My husband and I read this book with other small group leaders for spiritual enrichment. "The thirty 'chats' in this book deal with some principles of ministry that I wish somebody had shared with me when I was ordained back in 1951..." states Wiersbe's introduction.

This book delivers. Every chat is full of pithy wisdom and rich clear principles for life and ministry. Topics are diverse and include: defining effective ministry, avoiding pitfalls, loyalty, notes to the seniors, notes to the
Bryant
Mar 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading this book for my Practical Christian Ministry class and it has been extremely awesome so far! Invaluable insight for every Christian in their service to the Lord.
Samuel Cowan
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a small book with so much put into it, this is a very valuable tools to all in Ministry, whether church or Mission and to all considering going into full time ministry for the Lord.
It is very much Warren Wiersbe from his heart and in this little book published in the UK by 10ofThose Publisher and a very challenging and heart warming book for all to have.
The chapters are seen as chats that Wiersbe had with those who are in ministry and he brings not only his experience as a Pastor but all as
Reid
" Ministry takes place when
(1)divine resources meet
(2)human needs through
(3)loving channels to
(4)the glory of God"

Ministry's definition
Ministry's motive

Luther: "Prayer, meditation and temptation make a minister"

Really good collection of thoughts about ministry based on the above quotation.
Philip Parker
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this as part of Men's Accountability group. We meet each week to discuss three chapters as a group and although the chapters were small they had so much for us to discuss and ponder about our lives. One of those books you know you will be wanting to visit again and again.
Simon Genoe
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Loads of truth but becomes a bit dry half way thru! Worth a read tho
Bramwell Blyth
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book that transformed my journey of Christ Leadership.
Bendick Ong
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity

Was passed this neat book which is actually a good pool of resources if one is thinking of encouraging fellow christians – mainly cos each chapter (wiersbe used “chat”) is around 1-8 pages long and capable of standing by its own.

Have found some that are real worth reading (which i marked with an *) and since the chapters come without a title, thought it would be useful to name them for future reference!:

introduction
elements of christian ministry 1: divine resources*
elements of christian ministry
Kent
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warren Wiersbe is one of those guys who writes so clearly and simply that you can question his depth in between readings. But then you pick up one of his books to read again, and you're reminded how of how wrong you were.

On Being a Servant of God is comprised of 30 short chapters on various aspects of ministry and servanthood. It is thoroughly practical, biblical, and wise, and filled with illustrations. Each chapter is devoted to a specific topic, like money, criticism, enemies, bad days,
Carol
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wiersbe
Wiersbe began his ministry in 1956 and he didn't have a clear vision of what Christian work was all about. "Methods are many, principals are few; Methods always change, principals never do." Wiersbe realized that methods only work because of the principal behind them. (Wiersbe in my opinion is exceptional writer, love his BE series also!)

His four elements of ministry:
1. Divine Resource
2. The Human Need
3. Loving Channels
4. The Glory of God *most important

Our first step is to confess our
Kristi
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On being a servant of God has become my favorite book on the topic of Servanthood and leadership; Warren Weirsbe covers most topics of ministry in succinct but profound chapters which he writes with a very specific audience in mind. The book is definitely oriented towards an active member of the church -- however, it really does become irrelevant whether you are the a newbie volunteer at a 50 person parish or a member of staff at a mega-church. The truths written in this book will challenge you ...more
René
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
That has a lot of good information about the challenges of ministry from the perspective of one that's been there. He doesn't offer easy answers, but he does not preach doom and gloom either. He's realistic that it's difficult, but it's good.

It's a little old school, so sometimes I had to reread parts because the wording was cumbersome, but overall, the information was helpful and encouraging.
Michelle Barringer
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you want to be challenged and encouraged to what being a servant of God is really about and what it takes to be the best for God, then this is a book for you. Not for the faint of heart!

Like Wiersbe, I too am "encouraged about the future because God is in it."

I re-read this book over the summer! It's become one of my "go-to" books for insight, understanding, and encouragement as I continue being a servant of God.
Elizabeth
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was such an encouragement to me! I'd recommend it to anyone who serves in the church, particularly pastors, but also ministry leaders and volunteers. It's a good refresher of why we serve, Who we serve, and why it matters.

This was my first Wiersbe book, so I didn't know quite what to expect... It's a fast read, but there's a lot to chew over, so I spread out the read over about a month. This is a book worth underlining. A lot of wisdom here.

Becky Hintz
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ministry
This is a genuinely helpful devotional book for those in the ministry. Wiersbe pours all his years of experience and wisdom into 30 brief chapters, addressing everything from envy to money to knowing when to leave a ministry. I highlighted more quotes than I can count, and will certainly re-read in years to come.
Crissy
Nov 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Christians
This book helped me to realize my role as a servant, like Christ was a servant. With all the psuedo-christian books out there about "getting your best life now" this one really brings it home that its not about living the "Good life" but its about living A GOOD LIFE for others and not your own selfish desires. I loved it.
Sherrie
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good and Practical advice for anyone in ministry or MINISTRY!! Leaders of any group or organization (who claim to be servants of GOD) should get this book and should read it at least once every six months.
Brian White
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great little book. Mike Mehaffie and Trish Smith gave this to us in 1994 at the Santa Cruz summer project with Cru. I have read it a few times over the years and it is always encouraging and a helpful perspective.
Kayla
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Book provides great reflection on your Christian walk and how to be better. It's hard out here -- in the world -- and the book acknowledges that well. Talks about being in the world without "being of the world."
Mark Clements
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my few "read over and over and over again" books. Wiersbe distills his years of experience into 31 bite-sized chapters. He is imminently quotable and easy to read. From "how to leave a ministry" to talking about money, he injects common sense into many subjects.
Timothy Smallwood
Easy to read, practical, applicable!

I really liked the chat format, easy to read chapters that didn't take a long time to develop. Recommend to all ministers, full time, part time, or volunteer.
Jeff Davis
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I recommend this book to everyone who is a Christ disciple. This is one of the books that has truly been influencial to me not only as a pastor, but as a Christian who tries to live in a way that pleases my Father. I have read it multiple times.
Philip
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
From advice on leaving a ministry to encouragement to those entering the ministry, this book provides helpful advice for the pastor. Even the layman who seeks involvement in the church will learn powerful lessons from this book. This book is a "must read" for every pastor or Christian worker.
Cory
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such an awesome book. I might read it again.
Amanda Conrad
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can I give a book ten stars? I'd like to give this one ten stars.
Tim Senter
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-the-shelf
Good read. Some chapters could be more developed.
James Williams
Amazing book. So useful to know how to effectively serve God and staying the course.
Peter
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is such a soul searching book. I read 10 pages put it down and digest, then read ten more. It's that kind of book.
Angelo Terminel
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Each chapter in this book is like a well written and thought thru sermon.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hinds' Feet on High Places
  • The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God
  • The Knowledge of the Holy
  • Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry
  • A Sand County Almanac and Sketches Here and There
  • Salmon Without Rivers: A History Of The Pacific Salmon Crisis
  • Sing a New Song: A Woman's Guide to the Psalms
  • Home Grown: Adventures in Parenting off the Beaten Path, Unschooling, and Reconnecting with the Natural World
  • My Side of the Mountain (Mountain, #1)
  • The Abolition of Man
  • A Grief Observed
  • The Household and the War for the Cosmos: Recovering a Christian Vision for the Family
Warren W. Wiersbe, former pastor of the Moody Church and general director of Back to the Bible, has traveled widely as a Bible teacher and conference speaker. Because of his encouragement to those in ministry, Dr. Wiersbe is often referred to as 'the pastor's pastor.' He has ministered in churches and conferences throughout the United States as well as in Canada, Central and South America, and ...more
“Ministry takes place when divine resources meet human needs through loving channels to the glory of God.” 2 likes
“In marriage, “two become one,” and this miracle must never be forgotten. Marriage means that a man and a woman must no longer say “mine” and “yours”; they should say only “ours.” If one of them has a ministry, they both have a ministry, whether the other one accepts it or not. Marriage isn’t a fifty-fifty partnership; it’s a 100 percent stewardship in which each mate lives for the other and both live for the Lord.” 2 likes