Start by marking “All the Walls of Belfast” as Want to Read:
All the Walls of Belfast

All the Walls of Belfast

Fiona and Danny were born in the same hospital. Fiona’s mom fled with her to the United States when she was two, but, fourteen years after the Troubles ended, a forty-foot-tall peace wall still separates her dad’s Catholic neighborhood from Danny’s Protestant neighborhood.

After chance brings Fiona and Danny together, their love of the band Fading Stars, big dreams, and des
Published March 12th 2019 by Turner

To ask other readers questions about All the Walls of Belfast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Walls of Belfast

☽ TheBibliotheque
Belfast is a city that will always own a big chunk of my heart. It was the city where I started flying free. My first proper job, my first apartment, my first experience abroad. Belfast helped shaping me in the adult woman I am today.

So I will jump at the chance of reading a book that is set there. Specially, it that is a young adult book. And that is exactly what I did.

I think this book comes with excellent timing, now that half of the world is seemingly walking backwards while the other half t
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
This review originally appeared on Novel Ink.

*Content warnings: violence; child abuse; extensive talk of the Troubles and the violence and death that came along with them*

I fell in love with Belfast upon first visiting the capital of Northern Ireland in 2016– so much so, in fact, that I’ve been back twice since. So when I saw that a YA book set in Belfast, featu
Angie
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed here @ Angieville

I have had a string of lovely successes with contemporaries lately. I wonder, sometimes, about the phases we go through, both in reading and in life in general and whether or not (or where) they align. I'm not always able to see the patterns amid the daily vicissitudes, but I wonder about them often. Several months ago, I saw the cover for Sarah J. Carlson's debut novel All the Walls of Belfast and thought I might have died and gone direct to heaven. The tit
Christina
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Official blurb: ALL THE WALLS OF BELFAST is a powerful story about how the stones our parents throw in the past make ripples in our futures. Fiona and Danny's distinct voices weave a colorful tapestry of modern-day Belfast that will stick with readers for a long, long time.

Further thoughts: WOW. This is a ride. I'll admit to knowing very little about "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland prior to reading, so I appreciate how much research Carlson must have done to create an accurate portrait of bot
Samantha (WLABB)
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arcs, 2019-debut
All the Walls of Belfast was one of the freshest and more interesting take on Romeo & Juliet, that I have read in quite a while.

Who?

• Fiona: Born in Belfast, but raised in the US, she was largely unaware of the Troubles and the shadow they cast over Northern Ireland.

• Danny: A Belfast resident, who fought to better himself as as to escape the destructive parts of his culture.

What?

Danny and Fiona accidentally meet and strike up a friendship, but when they learn, they reside on opposite side
Sonia Hartl
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book, the relationship between Danny and Fiona was so well done, with everything they had to overcome. The climax was so tense, with new information being revealed to keep me on my toes while reading. Highly recommend this one!
Lindsey Lynn (thepagemistress)
3.5
TW: domestic violence, alcoholism, neglect, depression
*Was provided a copy for free to review and advertise on my instagram account @thepagemistress
All thoughts are my own*

This book follows Fiona and Danny, which I must say I love duel perspective books. Fiona is just reuniting with her long lost father in Belfast, Ireland and Danny is a local. Fiona's father has a very troubled past with lots of things she never knew about. She has to decide if she trusts her father or if she's the monster s
Abi Robins (autumnofpellinor)
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Coming out on the 12th March, 2019!!

I was very kindly given this book by the author Sarah as an ARC, and she didn't ask me to review it but I've decided that I want to anyways. Honestly, I wasn't sure how I felt about the premise of this book going in. The synopsis made me think it'd be a bit romance heavy for my tastes and I was nervous about that. Turns out that I didn't need to be as I adored this book!

We follow two main characters within the book (so the book has two perspectives). Our firs
Mark Grotjohn
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This isn't just a love story. It's a unique drama, fraught in complex history and layered in self-discovery. It was intriguing to watch the love between Fiona and Danny unfold, but what really kept me enthralled was the growth of the individual characters: Fiona's rediscovery and exploration of her relationships with her parents, and Danny's struggle, his culture at odds with his dreams.
This book helped me understand the gravity and complexity of The Troubles and the history and culture at play
Jodi Herlick
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fiona and Danny’s story is a heart-wrenching take on star-crossed lovers. I fell in love with the broken but relatable characters almost immediately. The narration moves smoothly back and forth between the two main characters, and it was easy to understand both their hurt and their heart. The story was fast-paced, compelling, and unputdownable. The backdrop of the aftermath of the Ireland conflict was fascinating. I learned a lot about the history, but I also loved how Fiona and Danny’s story tr ...more
Christy
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow! Full review to come.
MsArdychan
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Please Note: I received an advance copy of this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence the opinions of my review in any way.

***Trigger Warning for domestic violence***

Last summer I had the distinct pleasure of visiting Northern Ireland. I was so impressed, not only with the historic sights and staggering natural beauty, but with the people. Everyone was so friendly and hopeful for the future. The "Troubles" seemed to be a long-ago conflict.

But, even during o
Sarah Hunnicutt
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you, @kidlitexchange, for lending me a review copy of this book! All opinions are my own.

This book was highly engaging and I really enjoyed it. It was definitely a rollercoaster ride. So why only four stars? There were times where I was certain I was going to give it five stars, and other parts where I was going to give it three. I'll talk more about that later.

Fiona is an American...mostly. She was born in Ireland but had to flee the country with her mother when she was a toddler. Now she
J Mccarragher
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlitexchange
“Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of
this book - all opinions are my own.”
In All the Walls of Belfast, Sarah Carlson’s debut novel paints a dreadful picture of a country in turmoil. The attention to detail of the language, dialect, and slang make this book such an incredible read, but definitely meant for a mature YA audience. A true testament to young love and the necessary blindness to make their world make sense, Danny and Fiona weave their way through war, religious
Anita Eti
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lina
Feb 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Free arc provided through edelweiss.

I managed 12% of this before I had to put it down, or else my brain would explode. Phonetically spelling out dialects and writing "feck" and "wee" a lot.... Enjoy that. The plot would probably be fine. I don't know. I couldn't handle the writing style.
Kat
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The setting is beautifully crafted, and the turmoil of post-conflict Belfast is masterfully shown in a thought-provoking way. The struggles and conflicts are well established on page one and pull you along to the very last page.

I had a little trouble connecting with the some of the characters, but am glad I got to go on their journeys.
Jessica
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Very run of the mill. More to come.
Danielle Stinson
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely story about imperfect characters with good hearts who make mistakes and have to learn to fix them/ forgive the imperfections in each other. It was daring and realistic and I enjoyed every second of it.

I adored the characters in this book. Danny and Fiona were wonderful leads. Their voices were distinct and I found it very easy to fall into both of their heads. I think my favorite thing about them (especially Danny, who grew up significantly less sheltered) was how realistic they
Julith Perry
Jessie
Dec 06, 2018
  • Reconnected
  • The Great Unknowable End
  • The Pioneer (The Pioneer, #1)
  • Mind Games
  • Don't Date Rosa Santos
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • Shiverton Hall: The Creeper
  • No One Here Is Lonely
Sarah J. Carlson writes contemporary YA that delves into complex, real world problems. Professionally, she is a school psychologist who works primarily with a diverse, mostly low income population. Her professional focus is around supporting the success of children with behavioral and mental health needs and helping to promote resilience in children who have been exposed to trauma or toxic stress. ...more