Start by marking “Chocolate Cream Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen #24)” as Want to Read:
Chocolate Cream Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen #24)

Chocolate Cream Pie Murder

(Hannah Swensen #24)

Not even Lake Eden's nosiest residents suspected Hannah Swensen would go from idealistic newlywed to betrayed wife in a matter of weeks. But as a deadly mystery unfolds in town, the proof is in the pudding . . .

When The Cookie Jar becomes the setting of a star-studded TV special about movies filmed in Minnesota, Hannah hopes to shine the spotlight on her bakery--not the un
Published February 26th 2019 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Chocolate Cream Pie Murder, please sign up.
Mary There is a mystery, but this book is really a novella with pages and pages of recipes.

James
One of the first few cozy mysteries I began reading almost fifteen years ago was the Hannah Swensen series by Joanne Fluke. For years, I adored the series, but then I switched to something else to try and experience a wider variety. About two years ago, I jumped back into its safety and caught up to the latest one... that is, until Chocolate Cream Pie Murder was published (or will be in the coming weeks). I won it via NetGalley and had to devour it today. How exciting to catch up in Hannah's lif ...more
Barbara

In this 24th addition to the Hannah Swensen cozy mystery books, we learn the truth about Ross Barton - a central character in the last few novels. If you're behind in the series this review will contain spoilers.

SPOILER ALERT/ SPOILER ALERT/ SPOILER ALERT

Hannah Swensen, owner of 'The Cookie Jar' bakery in Lake Eden, Minnesota, devotes most of her time to devising new recipes and baking cookies/pastries.....an activity that provides a creative outlet and helps her relax.

As Valentines Day appro
Juli
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had to laugh conspiratorially as I opened my review copy of this much awaited book and saw at the bottom of the the author's acknowledgements: You've been asking for this book and here it is!

Yes, I did. Yes, we did. Yes....we ALL did.

Thank you, Joanne.

I have been reading the Hannah Swensen series since book 1, Chocolate Chip Cookie Mystery, came out in 2001. Almost 19 years invested in these characters. Lots of recipes and baking. Lots of dead people....cozily murdered, of course. Culinary c
Kim
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ll open with saying that I don’t think this book was as bad as the last few in the series. Maybe someone is trying to clean up the mess and listen to readers. It seems someone on team Joanne may be listening to us readers because this book has the first iteration of Hannah calling Delores Mom and Mommy instead of Mother. In the book even Delores is surprised and blurts our that Hannah hasn’t called her Mom or Mommy for years and she actually THANKS Hannah for calling her Mommy. Poor Delores, e ...more
Shalini
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having heard of Joanne Fluke and her Hannah Swanson series, I was mighty excited when I got approved for this book. My friend and author James J Cudney, the fourth, took time from his writing to explain the entire series to get me up to date with the story so far. With all the details in my brain, I stepped up enthusiastically into the pages of the book and I was shocked!!

The writing, though perfect in English, did not attract me at all. There were a lot of characters, all Hannah's friends, who
Darinda
The 24th book in the Hannah Swensen series by Joanna Fluke. I haven't read all of the books in this series. I've read six or seven books, and hopped around in the order. I do plan to go back and read the entire series. Anyway, this book is best read after reading the others in the series.

Hannah's personal life is front and center as the truth about her marriage to Ross is revealed. As her scoundrel of a (fake) husband makes a reappearance, Hannah is trying to get on with her life.

These books usu
Glen
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies, mystery
The public finally gets what it wants.

After apologizing to her church for lying to them about the Ross situation, the whole town rallies around her, and Ross is definitely persona non grata. Between baking sessions, Ross calls Hannah alternately whining, begging and demanding she give him the money he left in her bank account. Like a dolt, she put it all back in Ross's account. He even threatens her.

This goes on for most of the book. Then guess who winds up dead in Hannah's condo?

There's a pacin
Maria
Mar 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, kindle, library
There was barely a story in this one. It was all recipes or people discussing the recipes. On the occasions that there was talk not centered around the recipes, it all felt like it came from a sitcom with a laugh track. This book was ridiculous. I’m finally done with this series. The characters aren’t even quirky and cute anymore; they’re just annoying and predictable.
Dawn Michelle
This is strictly my friend James' fault - I had swore I was never reading another one of these books and then he read this one and wrote a review that would make ANYONE want to read this and here we are. Sigh.

Well.
I didn't hate this book as much as I hated previous ones. Which is saying a lot. And I am glad that the author cleaned up the mess that was "Ross" [HOW HOW HOW Hannah could have THREE men be in love with her is still and will forever be a humongous mystery to me] and did it in a prett
Dianne
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, galleys-arcs
If it weren't for the fact that I got this from NetGalley I most likely would not have bought this book. I thought the last book about Ross really bit the big one. (see my review of Banana Cream Pie Murder) .

I see that a lot of people really love this book, so while it's not my glass of wine, it may be yours!

This book tries to explain in more depth why Ross took off shortly after the wedding to Hannah -keyword tries. And it does, sort of.

Okay, pros and cons of this book:

Pros
It is a cozy and simp
Mark Baker
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, mystery
Valentine’s Day is coming, and The Cookie Jar is getting ready to cater various Valentine’s Parties with new treats. Hannah Swensen is throwing herself into this baking in order to not think about the news she’s gotten that Ross was already married, so their wedding was all a lie. She has told the town of Lake Eden in an effort to curb gossip, and all of her friends are with her. Which is why Ross sneaks back into town in the early hours of the morning demanding something from Hannah – something ...more
Amy
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have been a devoted reader of this series--all 24 books. What would Hannah do when she found out that Ross was not who he said he was and that her marriage to him was not legal? Most of this book, she baked and gave us readers plenty of recipes with very little mystery. I do enjoy trying some of the cookie recipes but I am baffled as to why the dialogue continues to be so stilted--when there are only two people in the room and they constantly refer to each other by first names? The kindle edit ...more
Diane Hernandez
How many books in this series am I going to read hoping they return to the interesting plots and non-stilted dialogue of the first few? It appears at least one more called the Chocolate Cream Pie Murder.

Hannah is once again being harassed by the annoying Ross. Usually I would describe the murder that Hannah must solve around now. However, this time it occurs so late in the book that it would be a major spoiler.

Without a murder, nothing much happens in the first 2/3 of the book. There is a chapt
dnsyl57
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too Many Recipes / Too Little Plot

I've read all the books in this series and until the last few, I had been enjoying them. However, the stories just aren't as interesting as they used to be and the "who done it" isn't that hard to figure out.

In Chocolate Cream Pie Murder, Hannah has decided to tell the town the truth about Ross at the end of a Sunday church service. That is far from the end of it though as Ross is still causing trouble and stress for her when he shows up in town a few days later
Christine
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the 24th book in the Hannah Swenson series. Hannah is still dealing with her failed non marriage to Ross. So the last thing she wants is to see or hear from him again. But Ross is a jerk and comes to see Hannah to get the money he had left . Hannah tells him she put it back in his account so if he wants it so badly he can go and get it. Ross wants Hannah to get it for him since he doesn't want to be seen since the entire town hates him for what he did to Hannah. So we he is murdered towa ...more
Karen
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had given up on this series but wanted to give it one more shot.
Since I don’t want to post spoilers it’s hard for me to really express my opinion.
There was some hints of the series I used to love but not enough to save this series.
I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book.
Christina/ The Blog for Teachers, Readers, & Life!
There are some slow parts, and I found most of the mystery predictable. I thought, overall, it was a good read!
Patty Smith
Many thanks to NetGalley, Joanna Fluke, and Kensington Books for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. My opinions are 100% my own and independent of receiving an advance copy.

I am not sure what happened with this book. I have read many others in this series and have had various degrees of enjoyment. I know what to expect so I am not comparing this to some highbrow literature and expecting the get the same experience. Sometimes you just want what you want and the ease of reading, the expectat
Fluff Smut & Murder
Yes - this is the book that all of Hannah Swenson's fans have been asking for - almost! One of these days she will just need to suck it up and marry Norman because its kind of obvious that Mike is still hung up on his dead wife. (which is totally fine!). I swear that these characters get simpler as each new books comes out - life can be fixed for all of them with some sort of baked good. How are they all not 500 lbs? As for the cliffhanger at the end - it was kind of obvious but I think it will ...more
Lisa Morin
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of this series and I found this book to be an excellent addition.
Hannah still can't believe what Ross has put her through, and when he threatens
her life, residents of Lake Eden gather together to support their favorite baker.
I found this story captivating and I was eager to solve the mystery.
The author left us with a cliffhanger and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Cris (The Biblio Blonde)
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chocolate Cream Pie Murder is the latest in the Hannah Swensen series by Joanne Fluke. There have been a *lot* of changes for Hannah in the last few books, so I was anxious to see how some things worked out for her. (Some minor spoilers may lie ahead - more so if you're not caught up on the series - but I won't give away anything major for the new book!)

As the book opens, we find Hannah faced with the difficult task of telling her fellow Lake Edenites that not only is Ross gone, but that it appe
Bridget
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers of Mysteries, Cosy Mysteries
“Chocolate Cream Pie Murder” is the twenty-fourth book in the Hannah Swensen Series by the author, Joanne Fluke. Why did I want to read this novel? Well, I love to curl up on the sofa on a dark winter’s night, or any time, really, with a mug of hot chocolate and a good cozy mystery and if it’s about food, as this one is, then so much the better!

I haven’t read any of the other books in this series yet, however, I don’t think that this spoilt my enjoyment of this novel. That said, there is nothing
terpkristin
Meh. The victim of the crime didn't surprise me, but the story took way too long to get there. Simultaneously, it resolved too quickly and with a motive that the reader couldn't have known about based on the book. In honesty, though, I wish that (view spoiler). Definitely not my favorite in the series.
Kristina
Chocolate Cream Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke is the twenty-fourth A Hannah Swensen Mystery. Hannah Swenson is still reeling from the fact that her new husband, Ross is married to another woman. She is lucky to have such loving, supportive friends and family. Actually, the whole town has rallied behind her with several people threatening to harm Ross if he steps foot in town. Unfortunately, it looks like Ross will be visiting Lake Eden soon for the Minnesota Movie Festival with interviews being con ...more
Anita
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After Ross, her husband, disappeared, Hannah decides to tell her friends the truth about what she learned about him. Her friends are standing behind her no matter what happens. Then, Ross contacts Hannah and threatens her. Ross wants the money he left with Hannah. Norman and Mike come to her aid to protect her when mysterious events start happening. When a body is found in Hannah’s condo, can she figure out whodunit?
I usually love this mystery series, but this one missed the mark. There seemed t
Patty
Feb 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
Chocolate Cream Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke is the 24th book in the Hannah Swensen series, and much better than the last couple of books in the series. Hannah was recently married to Ross, after being pursued by both Norman and Mike for years. I will always be team Norman, Mike just shows up to eat. In prior books we learn that Ross disappears and Hannah learned he is already married. In this book, Ross contacts Hannah wanting the money he gave her, and begging for a reunion, when the action begi ...more
Cheryl
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannah is getting ready for a TV special bout all the movies that were made in Minnesota but she has problems in her personal life. She finds ou that her husband was really married to someone else so her marriage isn’t legal. She hopes she has seen the last of him but he shows up demanding she give him back his money. When she tells him it is in his account at the bank, he continues to threaten her. She ends up with bodyguards and more threats. The book has recipes between every chapter with int ...more
Sue Em
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
This the 26th visit to Lake Eden with Hannah Swenson and her family and friends. It's as comforting as hot cocoa and a snuggly blanket. Still, it's long on recipes and taste testing them, while short on mystery. If you're a fan of the series, that won't bother you. What did concern me is the sudden recasting of a former hero into a despicable villain. A sweet treat for fans.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Mayda
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cats, cozies, mystery, romance
Hannah divulges a big secret to her church family at the start of the book. Her life has taken a u-turn, and she spends most of the tale trying to get it back on track. Fans of this series will be delighted by the turn it takes. There is a mystery in this cozy, but the real interest is the interaction between the continuing characters. Many recipes are sprinkled throughout the story. Even if you aren’t a cook, you should still read them. Joanne Fluke has a way of making recipes entertaining.
Emilia
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh boy, what a mess...
Ross is still a jerk, but now Hannah starts to be afraid of him as well...
All sorts of secrets are coming out now, and of course, with a body in the bedroom you can't wait to find out whodunit? (as for why... well it is a bit more obvious :) ).

and on the private note - can't help but hope for Hannah and Norman to finally hook up for good :P
Play Book Tag: Chocolate Cream Pie Murder by Joanne Fluke 3 stars 1 14 Apr 06, 2019 04:33PM
So, about that cliffhanger... 3 40 Mar 31, 2019 04:13PM
  • Dying for Devil's Food (Cupcake Bakery Mystery #11)
  • A Vintage Death (Keepsake Cove Mystery, #2)
  • Harvest of Secrets (Wine Country Mysteries, #9)
  • The Final Vow (Living History Museum, #3)
  • Death of a Cookbook Author (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #10)
  • Turning the Tide (Quaker Midwife Mystery #3)
  • Thread Herrings (Mainely Needlepoint, #7)
  • A Whole Latte Murder (A Java Jive Mystery, #3)
  • Shadow Dancing (The Country Club Murders, #7)
  • Etched in Tears (A Webb's Glass Shop Mystery #4)
  • Corned Beef and Casualties (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #6.25)
  • Stowed Away (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #6)
  • A Date with Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #47)
  • No Way Home (Zoe Chambers Mysteries, #5)
  • Ginger Snapped (Spice Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Never Say Pie (A Pie Shop Mystery #2)
  • Past Due for Murder (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #3)
  • A Composition in Murder (A Cherry Tucker Mystery #6)
Like Hannah Swensen, Joanne Fluke grew up in a small town in rural Minnesota where her neighbors were friendly, the winters were fierce, and the biggest scandal was the spotting of unidentified male undergarments on a young widow's clothesline. She insists that there really are 10,000 lakes and the mosquito is NOT the state bird.

While pursuing her writing career, Joanne has worked as: a public sch

Hannah Swensen (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1)
  • Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3)
  • Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4)
  • Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5)
  • Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6)
  • Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7)
  • Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8)
  • Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9)
  • Carrot Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #10)