Start by marking “Efrén Divided” as Want to Read:
Efrén Divided

Efrén Divided

An OwnVoices debut middle grade novel about family, friendship, and tearing down the walls being built between all of us.

Efrén Nava’s Amá is his Superwoman—or Soperwoman, named after the delicious Mexican sopes his mother often prepares. Both Amá and Apá work hard all day to provide for the family, making sure Efrén and his younger siblings Max and Mía feel saf
Hardcover
Expected publication: 2020 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Efrén Divided, please sign up.
Ernesto Cisneros Because it's pages are filled authentic people that I've had the pleasure of either teaching and learning from.

Start your review of Efrén Divided
Ernesto Cisneros
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This review is actually from my daughter, who loves to read MG books.

She says, "It's the best book I've ever read, and I've read just about everything out there. I could actually feel like I was inside the pages. I loved every page."

I wrote the book for her... so she could see that people of color, people of Mexican descent, are worth writing and reading about. I wanted her to see her world depicted in a book.

Hope you connect with this story too.
Denise Deegan
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This isn’t just a great book, it’s an important one. At a time when families are being divided and deported, we need to hear the voice of the oppressed. When his mother disappears and his worst nightmare comes true, Efren puts on a brave face as he struggles to look after his young brother and sister and find a way to get his Ama home. It was an honor to read this story of courage in the face of injustice.
Bev Plass
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found Efren Divided to be a touching story of a young Mexican American who loves his family, but his life is torn apart when his mother is deported. What they have to do to survive, who they can trust, and how they try to get her back are all part of the story. I would say more, but don't want to spill any spoilers. For me, reading a first-hand fictionalized account helped me to more fully understand and empathize with families experiencing this tragedy.
Steve Bjorkman
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the opening pages I found myself completely immersed in a world so different from mine, yet just a neighborhood away. Ernesto Cisneros has the ability to pull me into another culture, where from the beginning I care about these characters deeply. A compelling read. I'll never hear a low flying police helicopter in the same way again.
NoNieqa Ramos
Give us your Amas, your Soperwomen, your mothers of might, exemplars of creativity, resilience, and self reliance. Give us your Apas, your indefatigable fathers, exemplars of selflessness and perseverance. Give us your Effrens, your golden children of endless potential, the embodiment of the American dream. This book is a lamp illuminating where we fail and where we can succeed and overcome, a torch of protest against injustice, and a golden door into crucial conversations we need to have in our ...more
David
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Efren Divided is a stunning, masterful, and timely debut. Cisneros balances both the despair of a family torn apart by US immigration policies and the loving determination of a boy to bridge the divide. Firmly rooted in nepantla, the liminal space of all border folk, young Efrén rises to every challenge, discovering within himself and his community the magic to make a milagro.
Brandon  Soriano
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
GREATEST AUTHOR NA
Osxar Villegas
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Efren Divided is a book about a kid named Efren and what he has to deal with taking care of his siblings while his mom is in Mexico because she was deported. I liked the book in the atmosphere that there was throughout a majority of the story. A quote that I really enjoy in this book was on page 32. " David! You wouldn't believe it in here. It actually Smells clean". I chose this quote because I believe it shows the kind of sense of humor that is throughout the book. I recommend this book for ev ...more
Lorie Barber
I read this book in a day. Couldn't put it down. Started planning how I could use it as a beginning-of-the-year read aloud next year.
I absolutely loved the character conflicts - both internal and external, the changes the protagonist and supporting characters all experience as a result of events in the story, and the message of never giving up, no matter what life throws at you, that the author wove throughout the story from the very beginning to the last paragraph.
But the teacher in me.
Katie Reilley
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author & publisher for sharing an ARC with our #bookexpedition group.

I’m grateful to the author’s daughter for asking him to write this story. An important and timely MG read that featured voices who deserve to be heard.

Efren is a young Mexican American who loves his hardworking parents and annoying younger siblings. His world is turned upside down when his Ama is rounded up during an ICE raid and is deported. While his Apa continues to work round the clock to raise money
Kim
Excellent YA on a mixed immigration status family that really humanizes the experience.
Noah
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think Efren divided is a great book. I like how Efren has to find a way to deal with the problems he has. The story has real-time problems that occur today which is good because the book is relatable. I enjoy how Efren tries his best to do everything he can do to help. I think this book really shows a true problem in America. It also relates to the majority of the city I live in. I think Efren Divided is a great, realistic, and interesting book to read. Review by Noah Mendieta.
Evan
Anthony Mendoza
Isaac Alcantar
Apr 11, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Ernesto Cisneros is a veteran English teacher currently serving the colorful city of Santa Ana, California. He holds an English degree from the University of California, Irvine; a teaching credential from California State University, Long Beach; as well as a Masters of Fine Arts in Creative Writing from National University.

Whenever his knees will allow it, he enjoys playing basketball,