Start by marking “Becoming Hysteric” as Want to Read:
Becoming Hysteric

Becoming Hysteric

4.67  ·  Rating details ·  49 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
It all began in high school.
It all ended there too.

One day was all it took for both my life and Dane's to fall apart.
But from the ashes we were reborn. We became The Hysterics.

There was no way we would have known what a roller coaster we were embarking on.

It was a hysteric ride,
but we wouldn’t have changed a thing.

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Hysteric, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Hysteric

Stormi (Bewitched Reader)
Shelves: na-romance, ugly-cry
Becoming Hysteric is a Hysterics prequel novella and it may be short but its so heartfelt and impactful. I've been hoping for a Mav book since I first read Dane's story in The Hysterics and I am so happy to see he is getting a full length novel in addition to Becoming Hysteric! It has been a while since I've read a Kristen Hope Mazzola book, but I was immediately reminded why I enjoy her writing so much. She has a unique voice and style that brings the characters and story to life so that even a ...more
Elaine
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has all the feeling in need in a good book, I love the group of friends becoming bandmates, its also the story of love and loss and how to go on after a tragedy.
I laughed a little and cried a lot! This is a beautifully written book!
I highly recommend it!!
Cindy Fong
This is an emotional story. Leliani's death is referenced in a couple of other Hysterics books but this story gives us more insight to Maverick and what really went down. All if the guys show tough exteriors but gushy, romantic insides. Maverick and Leilani were fated for each other. This book explains why he is the way he is.

"I’ve been your boyfriend since the first time I realized how beautiful you are. You just didn’t know it until tonight.”
Teresa Lara
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
♡Love this Lil insight to Mav.Heartwrenching can't way to read the hysterics.
Jody
They say that good things come in small packages and that’s definitely the case here with this heartwarming yet heartbreaking novella. Though the word count is small it packs a wallop of emotions that had me smiling, while charming me, before ultimately bringing me to tears. With this prequel, readers get an unforgettable introduction to the members of the up and coming band the Hysterics, seeing the emotional groundwork laid that affects their HEAs years later.

Readers get to witness the early j
Amy Stephens
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Don't hate me, but I'm a complete newbie to Kristen Hope Mazzola's work. Seeing as this was a prequel, I was excited to discover more about the Hysterics and dive into the series that I'd heard a lot about. But, I quickly realized that I was a little lost, having not been familiar with the characters and such. I also realized that Becoming Hysteric was more of a spin-off. Regardless, I was intrigued enough that I decided now would be a great time to start this series from the beginning.

The char
Jennifer  Ingalls
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! I loved the story of The Hysterics when Kristen Hope Mazzola first introduced us to them and have eagerly read anything else she has brought to us about them. I also love how The Hysterics, being a renowned rock band, weave their way into other books in the Kristen Hope Mazzola universe.
Kristen provides great backstory to some characters that have always peaked my curiosity. What caused the heartache Maverick carried deep inside? What happened to Dane’s sister that they never sp
Becky Wise
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hold onto your tissues for this beautiful back to the beginning of The Hysterics. Becoming Hysteric is a emotionally beautiful read. This one takes you to the very start of the band. And if you haven't read any of The Hysterics books yet then that is okay. In fact I'd read this one first then go back and read the others in this series. The band is just forming in this one and you get to meet the guys behind it and all family involved. This is Maverick and his love with Leilani. That love found a ...more
Jami
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*An advance reading copy was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.*

This is the tale of Maverick Steele and Leilani Pearson we’ve been waiting for. They grew up as best friend’s to each other’s siblings. There was always a spark, but they kept each other at a distance, until one night at a high school party. Then all bets were off, even if they didn’t tell anyone for the time being. Until it was tragically over before their lives really even started.

Even though this story felt way too
Gail
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing read by Kristen.. this one is a heartbreaker, so make sure you have your tissues ready.. I always seem to read these ones during my lunch hour at work, so of course I was a mess.. If you have read The Hysterics then you know about tragedy that Maverick and the band went thru with Leilani's death but this gives us more into why Maverick is the way he is and what really went down all those years ago. This is a story of love and loss and how to go on after a such a horrific tragedy. ...more
Michelle Brace (Wicked Babes Blog Reviews)
I have yet to read the first two books in this series but after reading this I am intrigued and dying to get my hands on not only the first two in this series but for Steele's book as well. This is different from what I normally read by Kristen Hope Mazzola and I truly enjoyed this book. I loved this cast of characters and my heart absolutely broke.

This story was full of friendship, love, tragedy, loss, it really just had my heart in my throat. It was a truly wonderful story and I can't wait fo
Maribeth Artz
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the first time Maverick laid eyes on Leilani he was lovestuck. The only problem is he could never act on his feelings towards her because she is his best friend Dane’s sister. Dane and Maverick form a band while in High School to become known as the “Hysterics”.
One night as fate would have it Maverick and Leilani finally confess their love to each other. They both decide to “sneak around” and keep their new found relationship a secret. Then everything comes crashing down when the unthinkabl
Kari Hansen
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Although a few books in the Hysterics series have previously been released this heartbreaking novella brings us back to the beginning when they were in high school and before the band found their success.

It is an emotional story about the devastating loss that Dane and Maverick endured which shaped them into the men we now know. I haven’t read any of the other books in the series but after reading this novella I intend to remedy that right away. I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of
Nathalie
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a prequel novella to The Hysterics, and is the short but powerful story of Maverick and Leilani, who have such a pure and innocent young love. I’ve not read this series (yet) but this tragically beautiful introduction has intrigued me to put the rest of these books on my tbr. I had tears rolling down my cheeks and feel an emptiness that can be filled only by finding out what happens next to Mav and Leilani’s brother Dane, both of whom I’ve bonded with so quickly.
Britt Red Hatter Book Blog
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A prequel as beautiful as it is heartbreaking Becoming Hysteric left me on edge for more. Kristen Hope Mazzola‘s incredible talent for writing such full emotional stories in small packages shines brightly with this book. The love, friendship, and devastating heartbreak pours off the pages in a way that you feel every bit of them. Grab some tissues and curl up because this book will bring out all your emotions.
Jackie
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Hysterics is a very special book for me and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on Becoming Hysteric by Kristen Hope Mazzola. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I realized right away that this was a perspective that would be heartbreaking. The Hysterics have differing backgrounds, but strong ties to one another. They’re the product of tragedy, life, and hope. They want for something better and Becoming Hysteric is the gut wrenching beginning.
Jennifer Hanson
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this extended prologue! It was a quick and easy read, but contained some great history on the characters from The Hysterics. I'm so glad Kristen decided to write this and give us the back story. If you're a fan of The Hysterics, this is a must read! And bonus, Kristen's writing is just as fantastic as always and she keeps her characters very realistic.
Tessa
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I knew Becoming Hysteric would change me, but I didn’t realize how much. This story still brings tears to my eyes as I write this review. I cry thinking of Maverick and Dane. For this to be as short as it is, it sure did make an impression. I am ready for the next installment now! What a great story and the writing is beautiful.
Elizabeth Marr
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!! Have some tissues handy when you read this. I’m really glad I’ve been reading these books in order. I feel like I have a better understanding/connection with these characters. The love between Mav and Leilani was so heart warming, I wish I could have experienced that in high school. If you have read the first 2 books in this series than you know what’s gonna happen but in this book you’ll get a better explanation of what happened that day. So again, tissues, cause your gonna need them.

Ha
Kendra Needs
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was so great, I really love this authors books, she packs a huge amount of book in such a small amount of pages, each page that you flip is so worth every penny that you pay for the book.

This book has it all, love, loss and friends coming together to form a long lasting friendship and band. Loved this book and cannot wait for the next book to see where Mavericks life takes him.
Catherine Coffman
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maverick fell in love with Leliani when he was young. Lelinani is the sister of his best friend and band mate; even though he knows he shouldn’t fall in love with his best friends younger sister it happens.

This is a short story and love and loss. I cried and want to read more about the other band members.

Beautifully written book that has you laughing and crying!
Cassie
4.5 Stars!

I have missed these boys!!! This was the perfect prequel; it was short, gripping yet emotional. You feel the strength of the relationship between these band members and you can't help but to want more ~ Bring on the Hysterics...
Ann Gibbs
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this one!! I was rooting for Mav and Leilani. They were just perfect together. This was well written with so many emotions to pull you into the story. I can't wait to read more of this series.
Cindy Hughes
A Very Touching Story!

This was an emotionally beautiful story!
It was the love story of Maverick and Leilani and their tragic ending. It gives us a look at Maverick and how the band came to be. I laughed and cried while reading this story! I can’t wait to get Steele and read Mavericks story!
Angel
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, mf
This prequel was pretty good, and left me wanting to know more about these characters. I haven't read any yet, but I'm looking forward to reading more Hysterics stories.

*I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this story.*
Lauren
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gah

This is one heck of a emotional read, its beautifully heartbreaking. Poor Maverick goes through hell losing Leliani. These teens grow up quickly and all stick together. This is a great short read with lots going on.
Gladys
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short emotion filled novella. It is a story of love, tragic loss, heartbreaking pain, the struggle to survive it all and the strength and courage needed to move past it. A very moving read. This is my honest, voluntary review.
Maura
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yeesh - This is the backstory for Dane & Maverick (and Leilani). It's a powerful story of lost childhood and new beginnings. It had all the feels and is a wonderful addition to the Hysteric series. It is only 44 pages long, so it's quick and provides great insight into both Dane and Maverick.
Amanda Gillespie Shock N Awe Book Blog
This novella was a short, sweet introduction to how the Hysterics came togt her and the heartbreak surrounding the group. If you haven't read any of the other books in the series, this is a great introduction to the characters and what happened to break their hearts but in turn made them stronger.
Coralee Corrigan
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it
Bestselling author, Kristen Hope Mazzola, lives in the suburbs of Tampa soaking up the sunshine while watching hockey or football at beach bars. She writes contemporary romance ranging from steamy romantic comedy, angsty new adult, all the way to sports romance – with dirty bikers, hot military men, and swoon-worthy rockstars in between. A portion of her royalties goes to the Marcie Mazzola Founda ...more
“I want to crawl into your mind and find the pieces of my heart you stole, You don't even remember them, They were ripped from my body, leaving me bloody on the pavement, And they are nothing but pointless knickknacks, cluttering your busy life” 0 likes
“I've ben your boyfriend since the first time I realized how beautiful you are. You just didn't know it until tonight.” 0 likes