Start by marking “Seasons Defined” as Want to Read:
Seasons Defined

Seasons Defined

Kindle Edition, 1, 26 pages
Published May 30th 2018 by QuillInInk Press

To ask other readers questions about Seasons Defined, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seasons Defined

Start your review of Seasons Defined
D. Peach
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a short book of 16 beautiful poems about nature through the seasons. Ronkainen has a sometimes reflective but more often joyous relationship with the outdoors that she shares in this small collection. Promise of Pleasure, Summer, and Winter Dream were three of my favorites, but all of the poems are polished with heart and style. My only complaint is that I finished reading way to fast and want more from this author. :-)
Annika Perry
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘Seasons Defined’ is an exquisite collection of sixteen poems capturing the magic of the seasons in Finland; exploring the wilderness, the landscapes, the weather, the wildlife.

Furthermore the poems become an exploration of oneself and ultimately love! This collection is a moving tribute to the country Khaya embraced as her own, as well as recognising her roots, and some poems capture the tender loving couple of Khaya and her husband.

Life in all its facets is celebrated throughout!

Whilst depicti
Anu Hirsiaho
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection one should take to the mushroom forest, and read aloud to migrating birds. The journey is a verbal hike, in which culture or societal norms do not spoil the show. I will seriously try to read this outdoors, not in the comfort of my room. Perhaps the author should consider combining her love of poetry and hiking as a professional idea - organising poetic hikes is something I have not yet seen or heard of.
Cornelia Fick
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Khaya Ronkainen‘s book of nature poetry follows the seasons, from spring to winter in 16 beautiful poems. The dedication captures her realization that “love defines all seasons”. Originally from Umtata, South Africa, her poetry deals mostly with a northern landscape (she lives in Finland). In an interview on the blog 'How my heart speaks' she names her influences as Xhosa poets, S.E.K. Mqhayi and Tiyo Soga, elaborating that “Chanting of clan praises is poetry itself; oral poetry that overlaps wi ...more
Rommy Cortez-Driks
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely observations of the natural year

I find nature themed poetry most enjoyable when they provide both a window into the natural world and the poet's spirit. This collection lets you connect to the seasons through the poet's appreciation of the beauty of each, as well as the emotions arising from her experiences during each season. I only wish it was longer.
Vivian Zems
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the poetry here. It was light (not convoluted) and flowed beautifully. Khaya has the gift of creating vivid imagery with her words. With each of these poems, I was transported into the picture painted with Khaya’s words. Recommend- definitely.
Senni
marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2018
Ben Ditmars
marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2019
Khaya Ronkainen is a South African-born writer, poet and creative entrepreneur. Her work is often inspired by nature. But also examines duality of an immigrant life, cultural identity, intercultural communication and relations among immigrants.

She is the author of two poetry chapbooks, Seasons Defined and From the Depth of Darkness, published through her small imprint, QuillInInk Press. Some of h

News & Interviews