Start by marking “Following Jesus: Finding Our Way Home in an Age of Anxiety” as Want to Read:
Following Jesus: Finding Our Way Home in an Age of Anxiety

Following Jesus: Finding Our Way Home in an Age of Anxiety

In this brand-new, never before published work of inspiration, the bestselling author of The Return of the Prodigal Son offers a compelling case for why Christianity is still relevant, beautiful, intelligent and necessary in the modern world.

At one of the lowest points in Henri Nouwen's life he gave a series of lectures on the importance of following Jesus in an age
Published September 17th 2019 by Convergent Books

To ask other readers questions about Following Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Following Jesus

Start your review of Following Jesus: Finding Our Way Home in an Age of Anxiety
angelareadsbooks
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have been a long time fan of the works of Henri Nouwen. So many of them have meant so much to me in my own personal faith journey. So of course when I had the chance to read an early copy of some of his writings, I was thrilled. I have so many books to read so you know it’s a big deal when I’m reading a book that releases in September in May!

Following Jesus, much like his other works, is deeply thought provoking and quietly contemplative. Nouwen’s writings have the ability to make me stop and
Seth
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was... okay. It felt cobbled together from the Nouwen archives and did not overtly speak to anxiety. One would have to read into the material and ask, “Okay, now that I’ve read this portion, how does it answer the anxious needs and thoughts I have?”

It’s a short book and is probably most useful when each chapter is given space and time to breathe into you. I will probably go back and read it again when I have gaps of time to ruminate on it.
Ray
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Following Jesus by Henri Nouwen is destined to be a Christian classic. It is simple . . . profound . . . and life-changing. Highly recommended.

“Are you following Jesus? I want you to look at yourself and ask that question. Are you a follower? Am I?” With those words, Fr. Henri Nouwen began a series of six talks presented during Lent 1985 on following Jesus. These never-before published talks were deftly transcribed and faithfully edited by Nouwen archivist and scholar Gabrielle Earnshaw into
Debbie
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-books
If you have been fortunate enough to have read any books by Henri J.M. Nouwen, then you know that any book you read enters your heart and changes you in some intrinsic way. Following Jesus (Finding Our Way Home in an Age of Anxiety) is no different. If I had to sum up the entire book in one word, that word would be love. The love that the Father and Son have for one another (The Holy Spirit), the love that is given to us by Christ and the love that we as followers of Christ are called to share ...more
Romi Sigma
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My father introduced me to Henri Nouwen a few years ago when he gave me a copy of The Return Of The Prodigal Son. I liked Nouwen's simple yet profound reasoning in that book, and Following Jesus is no different. I appreciate that.

Nouwen’s desire with this book (which is a compilation of talks he gave) is to plant a seed in our hearts that will lead to a change in the way we live. What a beautiful purpose!
I'm not sure about all of his interpretation, but with books like this one, I prefer to
Ian
This small book is the transcription of a series of talks Nouwen gave in 1985 having finished a 2 year missional assignment in Peru. He was now at Harvard and struggling with the competitive nature of the esteemed university. Accordingly, Nouwen was effectively preaching to himself as he grappled with his anxiety. It wasn't long before he came to realise that the Lord was leading him to another vocation, one that took him to work with one of his heroes, Jean Vanier.

This is a gorgeously written
Create With Joy
Are you a follower of Jesus Christ? According to Henri Nouwen, the popular priest, author and theologian who passed away in 1996, "often we are more wanderers than followers" - but when we hear and respond to the voice of Jesus - the voice of love - the voice that beckons us to follow Him, just as clearly as He beckoned His disciples to follow Him 2000 years ago when He walked on our planet, we can finally cease our restless wanderings and settle into a life of joyful following.

This is the
Leslie Wright
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read prayers and articles by Henri Nouwen, but this is the first full length book I've read by him. I went into this expecting wisdom and practical guidance for living and I was not disappointed..The book was full of advice about how to have a joyful life and thrive in the midst of pain. I read this book over a month ago and I'm still reflecting on the following observation, "Joy is not some kind of happy medium between rootlessness and routine. It is not that. Joy is not a momentary ...more
Kathy
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always look forward to reading a book by Henri J.M. Nouwen. The depth of his knowledge and faith, the gentleness of his prose, the simplistic yet profound way he has of reframing and explaining concepts always make for an enjoyable, instructive and thought-provoking read.

Following Jesus: Finding Purpose and Direction in Uncertain Times checks off all of those boxes. Nouwen shows us how to handle the difficult situations and times in our lives by following Jesus, explaining what that entails
Michelle Kidwell
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finding Our Way Home in an Age of Anxiety

by Henri J. M. Nouwen

Crown Publishing

Convergent Books

Christian

Pub Date 17 Sep 2019

I am reviewing a copy of Following Jesus through Crown Publishing/Convergent Books and Netgalley:

Henri Nouwen gave a series of lectures on the importance of following Jesus, and leaning on him in the age of anxiety, these lectures came at one of the lowest points of his life. During that difficult time Nouwen remained faithful to God and to the teachings of
Brandi
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Henri Nouwen is a solid writer and I have never really read anything of his that I did not savor. I was so excited for the opportunity to read an advanced copy of Following Jesus. The timing of this book was perfect as so many things in my life were uncertain. I know to trust Him and turn to Him. What I really appreciated is the way Henri caused me to slow down, think, pray and return to very simple roots. I especially love the section on Practicing Presence and Prayer. He offered a great ...more
Dodi
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite authors, thinkers, contemplatives....this book, compiled from notes and recordings of a series of lectures given at what those who knew him best considered to be the low point of his spiritual life, take a hard, an oh-so-real look at the issues surrounding one's decision to walk in the footsteps of Christ. It challenges, encourages, clarifies, and ultimately draws you into a path that is nothing like they taught you in Sunday School.

Simultaneously the simplest and most complex
Kimberly-Dawn Quinn
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-list
I love Henri Nouwen so with that said I was disappointed that this book seemed to be cobbled together without deeper and more thoughtful content I am used to from the author. Apart from the obvious (that the author is resting in peace) the author-editor3 who pulled either the writings or messages together did not do Henri Nouwen the justice he deserves. I felt like I was getting random snippets instead of ruminations that didn't come to fruition. I was really looking forward to reading something ...more
G. Salter
Oct 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
Spend enough time in Sunday school or around people who read inspirational Christian books and you'll hear plenty about the love of God. Most of the time it just sounds cheesy or a cliche. Nouwen accomplishes a rare feat and makes that concept seem real -- life changing yet gentle, radical yet comforting. His explanation of how people can discover that love and apply it to their lives may very well change how you see everything.
Gay Ann
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This book is written about Jesus' love from Henri Nouwen's lectures, giving the reader encouragement and wisdom. Fr. Richard Rohr from the Center for Action and Contemplation states that this author, "will be your friend, if he is not already."
Libby
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While the subtitle talks about "an age of anxiety", this is classic Nouwen, filled with wisdom for any age. His focus is clear, his writing is both simple and profound. I found myself highlighting long paragraphs. This is a book to reread and ponder.
Benjamin
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Listen. Ask. Dwell.
Rose Lafreniere
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book ! How to keep Jesus in front of you in plain english. Like talking with a friend over coffee how to live your best life.
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Henri Nouwen, but it won't be my last. His writing is relatable, insightful, and inspiring. This book felt a bit disjointed at times, which makes sense since it is a compilation of talks he gave and not a book he sat down to write cover to cover. I still recommend it!

I received an ARC from NetGalley. It will be released on September 17, 2019.
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-list
This was my introduction to Nouwen, though I’ve certainly heard of him plenty of times before. Somehow, though, I’ve just never gotten around to reading anything of his.

This book is based on six talks that Nouwen delivered over Lent at St. Paul Church in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1985. Even as he faced uncertainty in his own life, he shared the wisdom and opened his heart to those who attended. Editor Gabrielle Earnshaw not only listened to the original talks on poorly preserved
Heather  Erickson
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Henri Nouwen has a gift for expressing the deep truths of an intimate walk with God, in a very accessible way. So I was very excited when I heard that “Following Jesus: Finding Our Way Home in an Age of Anxiety,” was ready to hit the bookshelves. This is some of Nouwen's never before published work. It focuses on how loving God and following Him in that love, allows us to feel His peace in the worst situations. This is expressed especially well in the chapter entitled The Cross.

At one point I
Oct 12, 2019
Wesley
Dec 06, 2019

• Jesus in Me: Experiencing the Holy Spirit as a Constant Companion
  • The Universal Christ: How a Forgotten Reality Can Change Everything We See, Hope For and Believe
  • Rhythms of Renewal: Trading Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose
  • Faith for Exiles: Five Ways to Help Young Christians Be Resilient, Follow Jesus, and Live Differently in Digital Babylon
  • Walking with God through Pain and Suffering
  • "i Believe": Exploring the Apostles' Creed
  • Love Poems for Married People
  • Becoming an Ordinary Mystic: Spirituality for the Rest of Us
  • Stolen: Five Free Boys Kidnapped into Slavery and Their Astonishing Odyssey Home
  • Dignity: Seeking Respect in Back Row America
  • Twenty-One Truths About Love
  • Find Your Weigh
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Olive, Again
  • The Heart of a Woman
  • Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don't Know
  • 5 Minutes with Jesus
Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen (Nouen), (1932–1996) was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and writer who authored 40 books on the spiritual life.

Nouwen's books are widely read today by Protestants and Catholics alike. The Wounded Healer, In the Name of Jesus, Clowning in Rome, The Life of the Beloved, and The Way of the Heart are just a few of the more widely recognized titles. After nearly two decades of