Start by marking “The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell” as Want to Read:
The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell

The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell

In the tradition of books like Get Better or Get Beaten and What It Takes to Be no.1, comes Oren Harari's Leadership Secrets from Colin Powell. Colin Powell is one of the most recognizable and highly regarded leaders in the world. As secretary of state, his face appears on the front page of hundreds of newspapers across the world several times per week. Colin Powell is not ...more
Published January 25th 2002 by McGraw-Hill Companies

Paula
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book while researching a presentation on the topic of leadership. Insightful and interesting. Presented some 'nuggets' of wisdon below.

Its the leaders role to overcome instituti9noal and individual inertia. Not afraid to turn up the heat on the poor performers. Success can breed complacancy. Disagree without being disagreeable.

Plans don't accomplish anything - endeavors succeed or fail because of the people involved. It is people who get things done. The most important asset you ha
Charles
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like the man. No bull.
Christian
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific, will read again - honest perspective from 10,000 ft.
Stephen Sikorski
Outstanding book outlining great points of a great general. These lessons are applicable from the top to the bottom. I recommend this book to anyone seeking a way to develop themselves as a leader.
Farnoosh Brock
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business-spirit
True leadership is recognized universally, regardless of bipartisanship, differences in style and strategy and desired outcome.

True leadership is recognized by everyone, and we would be hard pressed to find anyone that would not recognize it in Colin Powell. Oren Harari does a thorough job portraying that character in his book, ”Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell“.

Harari wrote this book without collaboration with Powell; he used direct quotes from Powell and based his stories on a previous rel
Jason
May 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the review list at the back of the book:

01. Promote a clash of ideas : Don’t encourage sycophants.
02. Be prepared to piss people off : Don’t placate everyone.
03. Establish trust : Don’t establish your authority.
04. Walk the talk : Don’t talk a good name.
05. Pick the right people : Don’t pick people with resumes.
06. Listen : Don’t lecture.
07. Be vigilant in details : Don’t stick to the big picture.
08. Be a disorganizer : Don’t let sleeping dogs lie.
09. Check your ego at the door : Don’t f
Derrick
Apr 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in leadership or who wants to be in leadership.
Recommended to Derrick by: TSgt Rieth.
Shelves: self-help, 2008
A good book that gave some advice that to be honest I didn't found that profound or anything else that I didn't know already. So if I were to be asked if I had learned anything new from this book I would say that probably not, everything in the book is pretty simple and straight forward types of things. None-the-less it was a good book. I felt that many of the chapters within the book were somewhat redundant and could've been shortened down considerabley.
I like how the book was set up, it had e
Ken
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to "It Worked For Me" and I needed another audiobook to accompany me on my drive to see my daughter and grand kids, so I got this from the library. I am thinking that I will look closer at the things I get in the future, because I realize I am more interested in autobiographical works, read by the author. This one seems drier and more textbooky.

Now, I have finished it, it is more textbooky. Some of the secrets were duplications of what I heard Colin Powell himself read in his audioboo
Eliot Burdett
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book on leadership and the development of a leader by a man who can be strategic or tactical depending on the situation. He is a big fan of small leadership and decentralized authority so this book should appeal to leaders of both large and small organizations.

Book is well structured around Powell's leadership rules:
- Know when to piss people off
- Promote a clash of ideas
- Avoid the ego trap
- Don't go looking for no
- Be a Chief Dis-organizer
- Know when to challenge the pros
- Get close wit
Kimberly
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was required reading for my one my graduate courses in advanced leadership. It provided incredibly insight into the type of leader that Colin Powell was and what type of individual he was. I actually found this to be very beneficial to me personally. I would highly recommend this book to managers/management, especially if the ultimate goal is become an exceptional leader. Yes, there is a difference between a manager and a leader.

Diane K
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy to read. I had the wonderful opportunity to attend a seminar in Chicago where he was the guest speaker. So this book reflected his personality and no nonsense style perfectly. Even though he has a no nonsense style of leadership, he still has an air of easiness and great sense of humor to balance it out. I would recommend this book to anyone looking to freshen up those leadership skills or those looking for "how-to" tips that really work.
Beth E
Very interesting book, partly because it speaks to US foreign policy of more than a decade ago, and to see how far we've drifted from the clarity we had then. As for the leadership secrets, they aren't really secrets at all and ones that we've seen in various bosses from time to time. In the end however, always a good reminder.
Jala
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well Im thinking about it and i could get alot of books about people so i did but the only thing i am thinking about is reading this book The Leadership Secrets of Colin Powell by Oren Harari
Ryan Meffert
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a key difference between managing and leading. Colin Powell Secrets to Leadership contains tactics that leaders can actually utilize. This book contains real examples of how these secrets to leadership were used and help the reader to understand these concepts in action. This is one of my top leadership books and must have for any manager at any level.
Togar  Silaban
Saya baca versi Bahasa Indonesia.
Buku manajemen kepemimpinan yang menggambarkan pengambilan keputusan yang tepat. Keberanian dan kejujuran Colin Powell.

Keberhasilan Obama menjadi Presiden AS, sebagian dirintis dan disumbangkan olej Powell selain oleh Martin Luther King. Mereka adalah pemimpin kulit hitam Amerika yang luar biasa.
Paul Phua
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting and quite easy to read book that gave some insights into the leadership style of a former General. Although he was a General, his style of leadership is that of a servant leadership style. He is one who took a no-nonsense but bottom-up, respect the people approach, something which I respect him for.
Alberto Rios Carmona
Great job. Really good down to earth concept and easy to embrace.

Very much aligned with my style. Just what I needed to polish my leadership and to reinforce my beliefs about a management within my organization.
Dusty
Jul 20, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is rubbish. The author spoke to Colin Powell once, used Colin's well publshed leadership "secrets" added general, weak statements about "big companies" who do this or that. What a waste of time.
Chad
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-cd, nonfiction
I enjoyed listening to this audio book on my commute to and from work. A quick, easy read/listen. No real "secrets" that you will learn, but some good basic reminders on what things that you know already and can use to assist you in being a better leader.
Robert
I liked the chapter on taking time off.
Sean
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best leadership book so far. Clear concepts, real examples, inspiring character.
Derek
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
GREAT read! Flows well and contains great leadership insight throughout.
Kevin Kammeyer
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for MBAs!
Keith
May 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very interesting to gain some insight into the relational principles of one of America's most successful generals.
Joe
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A leadership book that takes moments of Colin Powell's life and showcases the lessons he learned and leadership he developed.
Eric Brooke
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership, favourite
The good test to a leadership book is you step away from it and say I would like to be led by this person and it is clear how to replicate their style and behaviours
Amy Holbrook
1 Copy
Greg
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: donated
Was not that inspired. Although I usually take notes for books like these, I didn't for this one so maybe thats why I had few takeaways. Still like Colin, but not moved.
Gary Haseldine
Nov 23, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best tips for leaders to encourage their teams and make them more proficient.
  • All In: The Education of General David Petraeus
  • Without Hesitation: The Odyssey of an American Warrior
  • It Worked for Me: In Life and Leadership
  • Soldier: The Life of Colin Powell
  • 1001 Ways to Energize Employees
  • Leadership by the Book: Tools to Transform Your Workplace
  • Myne Owne Ground: Race and Freedom on Virginia's Eastern Shore, 1640-1676
  • The Complete 101 Collection
  • Martin Luther King, Jr., on Leadership: Inspiration and Wisdom for Challenging Times
  • The Optimist Creed
  • Freedom Flyers: The Tuskegee Airmen of World War II (Oxford Oral History Series)
  • Leadership
  • People Buy You: The Real Secret to What Matters Most in Business
  • I Dare! Kiran Bedi ; A Biography
  • Profitable Growth Is Everyone's Business: 10 Tools You Can Use Monday Morning
  • Leadership Secrets of the Rogue Warrior
  • Finding the Next Steve Jobs: How to Find, Hire, Keep and Nurture Creative Talent
  • The Project 50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Every "Task" into a Project That Matters!
“If you are going to achieve excellence in big things, you develop the habit in little matters. Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude.” 5 likes
“Leadership is the art of accomplishing more than the science of management says is possible.” 2 likes