Start by marking “The Witch Who Courted Death” as Want to Read:
The Witch Who Courted Death

The Witch Who Courted Death

For some, death is a way of life . . .

Considering her status as the world's most powerful medium, Corvossier 'Casper' von Klitzing and her twin brother Barastin had a pretty normal life. Her unrivalled ability to speak with and control the dead had made her a living, made her notorious ... and made her a target.

After a horrific incident in her home city of Berlin, Casper's
Published October 31st 2018 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about The Witch Who Courted Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch Who Courted Death

Paromjit
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a supernatural fantasy from Maria Lewis that is fun, humorous and entertaining. Corvossier 'Casper' von Klitzing and her twin brother, 'Creeper' Barastin, are rare gifted and powerful mediums living in Berlin with the woman who raised them, Collette Blight, in the 1970s secure tower of Bierpinsel. They help traumatised ghosts move on, until a nightmare tragedy leaves Barastin and Collette dead, and Casper losing her arm. Casper is left shell shocked, she has instantly lost all the family ...more
Ryan Buckby
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5/5

Maria you have done it once again written one hell of a good urban fantasy novel and i cannot get enough of your stories there all so well done.

I like how Maria has connected this book and her other books all in the same world, so the Who's Afraid series, this one and it came from the deep are all set in the same world so it's something that i really love. You don't have to have read the others to start off this book because Maria has done it in a way were you can just pick
The Nerd Daily
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Jayse Smith

In the latest offering from Australian author, Maria Lewis, readers are reacquainted with the amazing character Corvossier ‘Casper’ von Klitzing and introduced to her twin brother Barastin. The siblings both have the ability to confer with and control spirits of the dead. For those of you playing at home, Capser first appeared briefly in Maria’s Who’s Afraid series.

In Casper, Lewis has made a phenomenal character who is smart, indepen
Emily
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing!!! I loved how seamlessly it fits into the same world as her other stories, it just seems to slot in. I think a lot of this is due to the connections to the world and characters that have appeared in previous books. 'The Witch Who Courted Death' is set in Berlin, which is also where a lot of 'Who's Afraid Too' was set - familiar locations and characters include the Rogues, Phases, and Heath. I was so excited and fangirled when I read that Heath was back - I loved reading ab ...more
Pamela Smith
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant urban fantasy from Maria Lewis.
It's an absolute page turner.
My only complaint is that I finished it and immediately wanted more of it.
I can't wait to read more in this universe.
Tara
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a fun read. Wonderful funny characters with heart. I’d never read anything by this author before but I loved her writing, fast paced and full of humour. A great twist on witches for the twenty first century.really enjoyable read, recommended.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Jayse
Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.
This book is absolutely amazing. Highly recommend.
Lukasz
It’s been a while since I read a book about witches. Actually, it’s been a while since I read a genuinely fresh urban fantasy and I read in the genre regularly. The Witch who Courted Death by Maria Lewis impressed me on many levels and I don’t understand why so few people read it. It has it all - a relatable, complex characters, interesting supernatural creatures, magic, spells, charms, covens, mayhem, and romance. Plus, contrary to most books in the genre, the story happens in Europe, in Berlin ...more
Lainy122
This was a good read! Interesting, competent protagonist with good world building and serious stakes in play.

There was a little two much detail to keep me riveted (there are only so many times I can read about eating muscles in cream sauce before my eyes glaze over), but I know that some people really appreciate that kind of description to help them sink into a story. YMMV.

I'm also not a huge fan of mystery novels, so all the detective work in tracking down the bad guys was a bit ho-hum to me,
Sammi
Shelves: twenty-eighteen
I absolutely adored this book!!

I haven’t read Maria’s other books, Who’s Afraid and Who’s Afraid Too, so I was meeting all the characters for the first time. It was fantastic! I need to get my hands on her other books asap!!
This story follows medium twins, Corvossier ‘Casper’ von Klitzing and her brother Barastin ‘Creeper’. Throw in some kick-ass fight scenes, tragic events, a witch, a lot of ghosts and some other supernatural creatures and you have an amazing read! Not going to lie, parts of
Maisie Dickson(SleepyWiredStudios)
This book was my most anticipated book of the year and didn't disappoint.

Maria Lewis is one of my all-time favorite authors and her Who's Afraid series is one of my all-time favorites. This book while technically a spin-off just didn't feel like a spinoff. It felt like a story that happened alongside Tommi's journey.

Heath, my stupidly heroic son I loved him in this. Casper and Opal were fantastic characters and I loved reading from Caspers POV.
Helenasghost
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I'll keep this one short and sweet. This was amazing. I absolutely love Maria's signature style of writing and this is no different. Full of pop culture references and nods to all things quintessentially Australian, I enjoyed every page (well most pages because there was some things that made my heart hurt).

New characters take the spotlight in this spinoff from Lewis' well adored Who's Afraid series including Casper - a medium from Who's Afraid Too, Heath - the towering beast of a Pict warrior f
Sheryl
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love everything she writes. Need more :)
Imogene
While there was a moment in which I thought that I would never ever ever forgive Maria Lewis, I managed to swallow my tears, and then accidentally finished it in a day. Oooops? Now I have that much longer to wait for more!!!!!!

Also, a badass bisexual disabled protagonist who can see ghosts and hangs out with Aboriginal Australian witches? Including a mini-witch who names herself Sprinkles? Yes, there is all of the perfection right there.
Jessica M
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing

The Witch Who Courted Death is the start of a new fantasy duology by Australian author Maria Lewis, reimagining the role of ghosts and witches in present day society.

This was a delightful read. I was completely smitten with pretty much everything inside these pages, from the plot to the characters to the world to the writing. Maria Lewis is so talented. I’ve read quite a few of her books now and The Witch Who Courted Death is my favourite so far.

After a horror attack in B
Rachel (rachels.geeky.stuff)
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I need more Opal and Casper in my life ASAP and I defiantly need a new book from Maria soon!
Greg Vekiarellis
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love spending time in this universe.
Bec Rideout
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It has a bit of everything. A bit of horror, a bit of mystery and a tad of romance. This has become a fast favourite urban fantasy.
Blue
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
My favorite so far. So easy to read. Maria Lewis is building a universe that is exciting, dramatic and rich in detail as well as character.
After reading Who’s Afraid and Who’s Afraid Too, I had been wanting more of Tommi Grayson. Now I can’t wait to see what other characters’ stories will fill this world.
Alyce Caswell
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Usually a slow pace will turn me off an urban fantasy novel, but it worked here. Sleepy English villages are the perfect place to focus on unravelling a mystery - and to build a romance (my weakness!). I'm Australian so I suppose I have some biases in regards to certain characters...and having been to Cornwall myself, I was a little nostalgic in certain parts. Anyway, this was an enjoyable read.
Mike Cullen
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
I loved The Witch Who Courted Death. It is the first work of Maria Lewis' I've read and I really enjoyed the characters, the setting and the storyline. Casper is a character I felt really resonated and Opal and her niece Sprinkles were really engaging.

I'll definitely read more of Maria Lewis' urban fantasy stories.
Tricia Rose
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novel. It was recommended by a customer and I’m glad I took it up. The paranormal theme was written really well, with a different take on the typical mediums, werewolves etc.
I think I’ve found a new must read author 😊
Sam
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a page-turner! I had heaps of fun with this
Beyond Book'd
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I couldn't get into it. I'm not sure if it was the topic, writing style or the constant switching with unrelatable character names.

DNF

Jan 24, 2019
Julie Garner
Nov 06, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Adding A Book To An Author Profile 3 19 Jun 29, 2018 09:04PM
  • Too Sharp (Tara Sharp, #3)
  • Vigil (Verity Fassbinder #1)
  • Hero (The Hero Rebellion #1)
  • Small Shen
  • Arrabella Candellarbra and the Questy Thing to End All Questy Things
  • Goddess
  • Votive (Curse of the Bond Rider #2)
  • Greylands
  • The Skeleton Key (Pandora English, #3)
  • A Ghostly Demise (Ghostly Southern Mysteries #3)
  • The Business of Death (Death Works Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Dangerously Placed
  • Shadowglass (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #2)
  • Dead Heat (Goodabri #1)
  • The Blood She Betrayed (Heart Hunters #1)
  • The Last T'En (Last T'En Trilogy, #1)
  • Out for Blood (House of Comarré, #4)
  • Falling to Ash (Moth, #1)
Maria Lewis is a journalist and author based in Sydney, Australia. Getting her start as a police reporter, her work on pop culture has appeared in publications such as the New York Post, Guardian, Penthouse, The Daily and Sunday Telegraph, Empire Magazine, The Daily Mail, Penthouse, Junkee, WHO Weekly, Huffington Post, SBS, ABC and many more. A journalist for over 14 years, she was previously seen ...more