Start by marking “The Witch Who Courted Death” as Want to Read:
The Witch Who Courted Death

The Witch Who Courted Death

(Supernatural Sisters #4)

For some, death is a way of life . . .

Considering her status as the world's most powerful medium, Corvossier 'Casper' von Klitzing and her twin brother Barastin had a pretty normal life. Her unrivalled ability to speak with and control the dead had made her a living, made her notorious ... and made her a target.

After a horrific incident in her home city of Berlin, Casper's
Published October 31st 2018 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about The Witch Who Courted Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch Who Courted Death

Start your review of The Witch Who Courted Death
Paromjit
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a supernatural fantasy from Maria Lewis that is fun, humorous and entertaining. Corvossier 'Casper' von Klitzing and her twin brother, 'Creeper' Barastin, are rare gifted and powerful mediums living in Berlin with the woman who raised them, Collette Blight, in the 1970s secure tower of Bierpinsel. They help traumatised ghosts move on, until a nightmare tragedy leaves Barastin and Collette dead, and Casper losing her arm. Casper is left shell shocked, she has instantly lost all the family ...more
Sara
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I don’t read urban fantasy very often, and to be honest, I’m not sure why. A story filled with witches, supernatural creatures and magic is normally my ‘thing’. Couple that with a strong female lead, and that should be enough to lure me in. The draw for this was the added promise of a European based story, filled with the right amount of supernatural elements to almost make it believable in the ‘real’ world. It didn’t disappoint.

Ryan Buckby
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5/5

Maria you have done it once again written one hell of a good urban fantasy novel and i cannot get enough of your stories there all so well done.

I like how Maria has connected this book and her other books all in the same world, so the Who's Afraid series, this one and it came from the deep are all set in the same world so it's something that i really love. You don't have to have read the others to start off this book because Maria has done it in a way were you can just pick
The Nerd Daily
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Jayse Smith

In the latest offering from Australian author, Maria Lewis, readers are reacquainted with the amazing character Corvossier ‘Casper’ von Klitzing and introduced to her twin brother Barastin. The siblings both have the ability to confer with and control spirits of the dead. For those of you playing at home, Capser first appeared briefly in Maria’s Who’s Afraid series.

In Casper, Lewis has made a phenomenal character who is smart,
Liz Barnsley
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m a fan of exciting and clever urban fantasy and The Witch Who Courted Death is so much fun, action filled, witty, extraordinarily engaging all the way through.
This is my first Maria Lewis novel, although I have others in my mahoosive reading pile, I absolutely loved it. The characters are all highly intriguing, the levels of world building are uber cool- the story itself is pacy and addictive with some terrific relationships and all the magical mayhem you could possibly want.
Two sittings saw
Emily
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing!!! I loved how seamlessly it fits into the same world as her other stories, it just seems to slot in. I think a lot of this is due to the connections to the world and characters that have appeared in previous books. 'The Witch Who Courted Death' is set in Berlin, which is also where a lot of 'Who's Afraid Too' was set - familiar locations and characters include the Rogues, Phases, and Heath. I was so excited and fangirled when I read that Heath was back - I loved reading ...more
Noha Badawi
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Witches, ghosts and a dive into the supernatural + a much needed feminist twist.
Love, loved it !
full review
Pamela Smith
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant urban fantasy from Maria Lewis.
It's an absolute page turner.
My only complaint is that I finished it and immediately wanted more of it.
I can't wait to read more in this universe.
Lukasz
It’s been a while since I read a book about witches.Actually, it’s been a while since I read a genuinely fresh urban fantasy and I read in the genre regularly. The Witch who Courted Death by Maria Lewis impressed me on many levels and I don’t understand why so few people read it. It has it all - a relatable, complex characters, interesting supernatural creatures, magic, spells, charms, covens, mayhem, and romance. Plus, contrary to most books in the genre, the story happens in Europe, in Berlin, ...more
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
This book was a fun read. Wonderful funny characters with heart. I’d never read anything by this author before but I loved her writing, fast paced and full of humour. A great twist on witches for the twenty first century.really enjoyable read, recommended.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Jayse
Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.
This book is absolutely amazing. Highly recommend.
Lainy122
This was a good read! Interesting, competent protagonist with good world building and serious stakes in play.

There was a little two much detail to keep me riveted (there are only so many times I can read about eating muscles in cream sauce before my eyes glaze over), but I know that some people really appreciate that kind of description to help them sink into a story. YMMV.

I'm also not a huge fan of mystery novels, so all the detective work in tracking down the bad guys was a bit ho-hum to me,
Imogene
While there was a moment in which I thought that I would never ever ever forgive Maria Lewis, I managed to swallow my tears, and then accidentally finished it in a day. Oooops? Now I have that much longer to wait for more!!!!!!

Also, a badass bisexual disabled protagonist who can see ghosts and hangs out with Aboriginal Australian witches? Including a mini-witch who names herself Sprinkles? Yes, there is all of the perfection right there.
Sammi
Shelves: twenty-eighteen
I absolutely adored this book!!

I haven’t read Maria’s other books, Who’s Afraid and Who’s Afraid Too, so I was meeting all the characters for the first time. It was fantastic! I need to get my hands on her other books asap!!
This story follows medium twins, Corvossier ‘Casper’ von Klitzing and her brother Barastin ‘Creeper’. Throw in some kick-ass fight scenes, tragic events, a witch, a lot of ghosts and some other supernatural creatures and you have an amazing read! Not going to lie, parts of
Maisie Dickson(SleepyWiredStudios)
This book was my most anticipated book of the year and didn't disappoint.

Maria Lewis is one of my all-time favorite authors and her Who's Afraid series is one of my all-time favorites. This book while technically a spin-off just didn't feel like a spinoff. It felt like a story that happened alongside Tommi's journey.

Heath, my stupidly heroic son I loved him in this. Casper and Opal were fantastic characters and I loved reading from Caspers POV.
Tasha Leigh
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I'll keep this one short and sweet. This was amazing. I absolutely love Maria's signature style of writing and this is no different. Full of pop culture references and nods to all things quintessentially Australian, I enjoyed every page (well most pages because there was some things that made my heart hurt).

New characters take the spotlight in this spinoff from Lewis' well adored Who's Afraid series including Casper - a medium from Who's Afraid Too, Heath - the towering beast of a Pict warrior
Sheryl
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love everything she writes. Need more :)
Jessica M
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing

The Witch Who Courted Death is the start of a new fantasy duology by Australian author Maria Lewis, reimagining the role of ghosts and witches in present day society.

This was a delightful read. I was completely smitten with pretty much everything inside these pages, from the plot to the characters to the world to the writing. Maria Lewis is so talented. I’ve read quite a few of her books now and The Witch Who Courted Death is my favourite so far.

After a horror attack in
Annie
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"It's a blessing to be able to live how you really are in this life and one that not everyone gets.."

The book took me on an adventure I did not quite expect and I had a lot of fun talking to Maria Lewis when running her panel at Oz Comic Con about her writing process, research and the mechanics of putting this book together. I thought the setting in Berlin (one of Maria's fav. cities) was an interesting place, particularly Boscastle - a place that I have never heard of before, now put on the
Karen Barber
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Caspar and Creeper, not particularly positive nicknames given to the world’s best mediums. They’re carrying out what they see as everyday activity, when an unprovoked attack occurs and things are changed forever.
Having to adjust to life without her brother in a physical sense, Caspar is determined to seek revenge. She’s heard strange tales of who was responsible for the attack in which she lost an arm, and is determined to make them pay.
We follow Caspar to Cornwall as she searches for a witch
Sue Plant
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this amazingly frightening book

and what a book to read for hallooween...there is enough magic,mayhem, murder, witches and ghouls to go around....

a brother and sister who have the power to see ghosts and help them on their way but the story that follows is thought provoking and frightening....they are betrayed in the worst possible way....

but there is another survivor out there, a witch who has gone underground and with a bit of
Vigasia
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me a few times. On first few pages I had a feeling it's going to be some trashy paranormal romance, but it's nothing like that. Very quickly somethin important happens and though then a pace slows, the plot is still mostly about bigger game. And yes, it is strong romance subplot, but it occurs only in the second half on the book I don't think it's annoying.

Characters are big strength in this novel. Casper is great, her brother is amazin, Opal is sweet and Heath is funny. It
Rachel Slocombe
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really a big fan of YA but I've been reading a lot of very serious books recently and this was the perfect kind of fun book when I needed a break.
The story follows Corvossier and her brother Barastin (they see dead people!) as they set out for revenge against the mysterious Oct. It's a bit of a magical murder mystery.
There are ghosts, witches, werewolves, extensive use of the word bawbag and a really awesome magic battle at the end!
If you're a fan of YA fantasy or you just want a fun,
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
I really enjoyed this. It was a fun, fast and thread. Great world building and wonderfully written characters. A lit slow to start but definitely worth the perseverance to get into it properly. A bit darker than a lot of urban fantasy but the humour balances this out and it’s a great read.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Greg Vekiarellis
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love spending time in this universe.
Rachel (rachels.geeky.stuff)
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I need more Opal and Casper in my life ASAP and I defiantly need a new book from Maria soon!
Bec Rideout
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It has a bit of everything. A bit of horror, a bit of mystery and a tad of romance. This has become a fast favourite urban fantasy.
Blue
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
My favorite so far. So easy to read. Maria Lewis is building a universe that is exciting, dramatic and rich in detail as well as character.
After reading Who’s Afraid and Who’s Afraid Too, I had been wanting more of Tommi Grayson. Now I can’t wait to see what other characters’ stories will fill this world.
Odette
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
A really fun romp of an urban fantasy. Witches, werewolves, vampires and immortals. Great if you want to sit back and read about magical secret organisations and murder mysteries and absolutely love every minute while using approximately 1% of your brain function.

Very goth and very gay/bisexual. There's a very racially and sexually diverse cast including a disabled main character. The different personalities are very well-expressed and likeable and there's good character development. The
Amanda Evans
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was intrigued by the description for this book and was looking forward to diving into a world full of witches. The first thing that struck me was the character names which were awkward to pronounce, but I moved past that as the story began to unfold. The two main characters, twins, Casper and Creepy (their nicknames), were well developed and I loved their strong bond. The action at the beginning of the book was excellent too. I don't know what happened because the story seemed to come to a ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Adding A Book To An Author Profile 3 19 Jun 29, 2018 09:04PM

• The Shining Wall
  • Vardaesia (The Medoran Chronicles, #5)
  • Weapon (Whisper, #2)
  • The Witches of Eileanan (The Witches of Eileanan, #1)
  • What I Like About Me
  • We Three Heroes (The Medoran Chronicles, #4.5)
  • A Very Medoran Kaldoras (The Medoran Chronicles, #5.1)
  • Raelia (The Medoran Chronicles, #2)
  • Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider, Vol. 2: The Impossible Year
  • The Second Cure
  • The Secret Runners of New York
  • Dark Emu
  • Draekora (The Medoran Chronicles, #3)
  • The Plains
  • Selected Stories
  • Democracy in a Divided Australia
  • Graevale (The Medoran Chronicles, #4)
  • Storyland
Maria Lewis is a journalist and author based in Australia. Getting her start as a police reporter, her work on pop culture has appeared in publications such as the New York Post, Guardian, Penthouse, The Daily and Sunday Telegraph, Empire Magazine, The Daily Mail, Penthouse, Junkee, WHO Weekly, Huffington Post, SBS, ABC and many more. A journalist for over 14 years, she was previously seen on SBS ...more

Supernatural Sisters (5 books)
  • Who's Afraid?  (Tommi Grayson #1)
  • Who's Afraid Too?  (Tommi Grayson #2)
  • It Came From The Deep