Start by marking “Last Fight of the Old Hound (Lost Dogs, 1)” as Want to Read:
Last Fight of the Old Hound (Lost Dogs, 1)

Last Fight of the Old Hound

(Lost Dogs #1)

Alternate cover edition of ASIN B07DK17PYN

Roy van Waldenberger faces the most difficult decision of his life: loyalty or honesty?
On the one hand are the values he believes in, the moral code he built his life upon, and the promise he made to the woman he loves. On the other hand is the future of his best friend, and that of her children and her grandson.

Known to his fans a
Published July 5th 2018 (first published June 21st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Last Fight of the Old Hound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Fight of the Old Hound

Start your review of Last Fight of the Old Hound (Lost Dogs, 1)
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent start to a promising series.

Last Fight of the Old Hound is hands down, a fantasy unlike any I've ever read. It's an unusual blend of fantasy and real life technology and situations. Something like Rocky meets Wolverine in a city of dreams. And superbly written.

Roy van Waldenberger is a famous therianthropic wrestler who's won more matches and titles than anyone alive.

He's "the leader of the pack, the top dog, the meanest bastard to ever fight in the silver ring." With more title
Jane Jago
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lycanthrope cage fighters, blood and, ultimately, death. Only that isn’t really what this book is about at all. It’s about decency being forced to bend the knee to corporate ambition.

One man and his wolf expected to throw their last fight.

What we have here is an exploration of duality, and of the twisting of decency to serve the purpose of expediency.

It’s handled with sensitivity and a certain good humour, making it easy reading.

A solid four stars.
Bjørn
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read anything like this.

It's urban fantasy, and it's also fantasy, and it's got shifters and mobile phones and cage fighting and ALL the cultures at once. It's got worldbuilding so effortless it almost seems careless, the reader just dropped in the middle of everything, dwarves, elves, a little elephant, anfylk, airships, magic… In addition to this, it's also a great story, one that's as old as the world, except Ödlund discovered a different way to tell it. Then the bastard leaves m
E.M. Swift-Hook
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Science Fantasy Meets WWE

Roy van Waldenberger is an entertainer - but he entertains by fighting. He is also a therianthrope - a werewolf. But unlike the traditional idea of a lycanthrope he is very much in control of his wolf - most of the time. Roy is looking forward to winning a last big title then retiring. but then he learns that he is expected to throw the fight and that runs completely against the grain for the fighter once known as The Honest Man.

What I Really Enjoyed:
This is a fully a r
Diedra Drake
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Great character-driven fantasy about a man who is struggling with how to move on from the life he no longer wants. The struggle against the self, against society, love and friendships, and even the physical struggle of an actual cagematch fight. The author really wants you to feel the strain that Roy is experiencing, and does a good job of bringing that through.

My only complaint is that I wish the books weren't broken up into small pieces, I'd prefer it in one large chunk... but that's just a p
Leland Lydecker
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lost Dogs is a different kind of fantasy series. The narrative follows Roy von Waldenberger, a prize fighter and therianthrope, and much of the story’s conflict is internal. His inner wolf makes him stronger, faster, tougher– but it also fights for control of his mind in times of duress.

The author’s world building and character development are top notch, and I found Roy’s internal conflict incredibly easy to relate to. I love seeing fantasy used as a way to approach real life conflicts, and the
Warren Dean
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a superbly written character study of the Wolf of the North, Roy van Waldenberger, champion therianthropic wrestler. Roy is getting old and his thoughts have turned to retirement. The problem is that the corporation which controls his career wants its last pound of flesh; a championship bout against the young gun Florian Duuk – and it wants Roy to lose. This introduces the central tension of the story; Duuk is no match for the Wolf, which means that Roy would have to throw the fight and ...more
Mia
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will preface this with that fact I don’t normally read this type of book. I am not a fan of werewolves, nor am I a fan of organized fighting. And I was admittedly scared that this would just be a slasher fic with werewolf fighting everywhere. However, this book turns those tropes on their heads, as the main focus is more on the struggle between Roy and his inner nature and his responsibilities to everyone around him. The fighting is not glorified, and the one fighting scene in the book is so a ...more
T.L. Clark
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I'm not gonna lie; I bought this book because of the cover. Can you blame me? Just look at it!

Anyway, this is a book about a guy who happens to be a werewolf. But it's not your typical shifter story. This is more a prize fighter facing a difficult choice tale.

I love the unusual setting; a desert city which has a post-apocalyptic vibe. Where different folk live side-by-side. The anfylk are intriguing, and I really hope there's a lot more to come from them in the rest of this series of novellas.
Laurence Andrews
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nils Ӧdlund does an incredible job of setting the scene and building his characters--It's amazing how much one can empathise with Roy's core struggle, even having no prior interest in MMA...or dogs, to that extent.

Ӧdlund creates friendships you want to be a part of which is something I enjoy in epic fantasy but didn't expect in shorter fiction.

Roy's story is proof that a vast twisting plot isn't necessary in building tension or deep characters. That said, I can't wait for the sequel.
Suneé Roux
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed this book, and I usually make a point of avoiding werewolf stories. This was unlike the usual fare.

The world, like ours but different, feels lived-in and real. The races are unusual (to me at least), which is interesting. The characters are well-drawn and intriguing. Roy's story, his history and his current predicament is enthralling.

I want to know what happens next!
Ruth Anna Spencer
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced, I really cared about what happened to Roy.

I loved the werewolf constantly in the background, I couldn’t wait for him to break out.

Jonathan Pembroke
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie
This is a different kind of fantasy story. The thrust centers around Roy, an old shape-shifting brawler who is nearing the end of his career in an organized fighting league. As the saying goes, he is made an offer he can't refuse and the bulk of the book covers the internal struggle between his personal ethics and history, and the hard facts of his reality. Roy is a sympathetic character; as of the end of book one, the verdict is still out on some of the supporting cast. I read a lot of epic fan ...more
Todd
Feb 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. Not your typical urban fantasy. Roy is a wrestling champion in his late 30's who figures on retiring soon. He's got a support system, trainer, agent, bartender to unload on etc.
I am familiar with Nils Odlund from an urban fantasy group on Facebook. When he described his novel in the group and asked if it would be considered urban fantasy I said I would give it a try. Well I would say it straddles the line between UF and conventional fiction but look forward to the next one.
Cindy Tomamichel
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting departure from the usual werewolf story. The world is slightly steampunk, slightly fae, with these elements woven into the sub culture of professional boxing fights.

So when the main character, a werewolf champion fighter is asked to throw the championship match, the story becomes personal. Much weighs on his decision. This event affects not only his own personal integrity, but the fortunes of his fans and close friends.

This moral dilemma is explored in depth, allowing the
Máire Brophy
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in a world with an intriguing blend of magical and every day life, we meet Roy a celebrity fighter looking forward to retirement. The world is fresh, blending the pressures of modern life with the mysticism of more traditional fantasy worlds. Roy is trying to navigate his animalistic instincts and the complex challenges he faces. With an uncertain future ahead, he tries to make sense of it all.

A really nice introduction to the series, giving a taste of the world and a bigger story to come
Mary Rowe
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stunning Ending

But an unwelcome cliffhanger....although the match itself came to an end. Well done, well done! Enjoyed the way the author revealed the protagonists’ various attributes without over-explaining or being maddeningly cryptic.
Charlotte
Odlund sets up a fascinating world and certainly knows how to conjure a mental image (enough blood shed in the ring to summon a demon - that’s beautifully vivid!), but stylistically didn’t work for me. There’s a touch of Ian Fleming about Odlund’s writing which, despite numerous attempts at the Bond books, just isn’t my jam.

The situation was somewhat belaboured in the first three quarters of the novella, bogging down the pace, but ends on a real high that certainly caught my attention. It leans
mary-catherin Anderson
Dang, this sucked me in.

Okay, okay. This was like Rocky meets Urban Fantasy: a werewolf prizefighter, a rigged match, a man with a past and a conscious.

I unexpectedly DEVOURED this. There’s so much humanity in this story. I legitimately got misty-eyed in a few places. Roy, the werewolf MC is a good guy. Completely likable, realistically flawed, and owned by the past. When he’s asked to throw his retirement fight, he’s faced with a decision that’ll not only impact him, but everyone he cares abou
Coco.V
Svetlana Ivanov
Jan 03, 2019
Cheryl S
Sep 28, 2020

• Oblivion (Rise of the Sphinx, #1)
  • Unholy Warrior: Post-apocalyptic Spy Thriller
  • Railed
  • Murder at Macbeth
  • Beauty In the Beast
  • Wintering: The Power of Rest and Retreat in Difficult Times
  • The Witch Hunter Trilogy (Witch-Hunter #1-3)
  • The Smoke Tree (Broken Branches)
  • Secrets (Dirty Laundry #4)
  • Corsets and Quartets
  • Fires
  • Kurt's Honour (The Brotherhood, #1)
  • Transformation (Rai-Kirah, #1)
  • Life Interrupted
  • A Beary Little Christmas (Tirza's Christmas Tales Book 3)
  • Twisted Ginni
  • Black Ships (Numinous World, #1)
  • Witch's Sorrow (Alice Skye #1)

Lost Dogs (8 books)
  • Undeserved Second Chance (Lost Dogs #2)
  • A Freak Among Freaks (Lost Dogs #3)
  • Lost Naked Furious (Lost Dogs #4)
  • Silver Skin (Lost Dogs, #5)
  • A Break in the Clouds (Lost Dogs, #6)
  • Three Howls in the Evening (Lost Dogs, #7)
  • North Into the Past (Lost Dogs, #8)