Start by marking “Circle of the Moon” as Want to Read:
Circle of the Moon

Circle of the Moon

(Soulwood #4)

Set in the same world as Faith Hunter's New York Times bestselling Jane Yellowrock novels, the fourth Soulwood novel stars Nell Ingram, who channels her power from the earth.

Nell can draw magic from the land around her, and lately she's been using it to help the Psy-Law Enforcement Division, which solves paranormal crimes. Joining the team at PsyLED has allowed her to lear
Published February 26th 2019 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Circle of the Moon, please sign up.

Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and Berkley publishers for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

First and foremost: SPOILER WARNING! The Soulwood series is a spinoff of the Jane Yellowrock series and takes place in the same world. The books are publishing in alternating sequence, and as such, this book (Soulwood #4) takes place after the events of Dark Queen (Jane #12) and has MASSIVE spoilers for Dark Queen. So please be aware! My review, though, will be as spoiler free as possible.

Faith, you
Robin (Bridge Four)
Circle of the Moon ties in more with the Jane Yellowrock world that the prior books of this series have. I’ve read all the Jane books so I was up to speed but I think I’ve forgotten some of the details from the Dark Queen because there would be conversations and I’d scratch my head wondering why no one can even get a hold of Jane or anyone else in the Yellowrock clan. It was a little distracting but I think that if you haven’t read the other series you will be fine and get most of what is going ...more
Beth
Every once in a while, you come across a series that you just can’t get enough of…Circle of the Moon is part of one of those series.

Nell is now a member of the Psy-LED. Even though she is a rooky, she is a superior detective. Now she must uncover who is calling Rick and causing all the deaths around them.

Hunter knows how to write UF. She catapults the reader right into her UF world. Strong plot, engaging mystery and marvelous characters, I just can’t get enough.

I loved it. I love how Nell has e
Ian
I was going to rate this book 3 Stars.
I was thinking, 'Yeah it's good but I've been there and done that a dozen times before'.

But thinking about it, I'm not being fair. I'm a prodigious reader and I'm in pretty good company here. There are people on GR who make me look like an illiterate hillbilly. And I guess that's the problem.

Circle of the Moon really is great. Yeah I've read a lot of books that were every bit as good but that doesn't take anything from this book.

If you're in the mood for
Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
Nell is back in Circle of the Moon and though her road to self-discovery has not been an easy one, it has been so worthwhile. In spite of the fact that she still has some struggles departing from the teachings from her upbringing, she has truly stepped out on her own in this story and I am loving her evolution. It is so endearing to see how she and the members of Unit Eighteen of PSY-LED have bonded over the course of this series. They will need that bond in order to survive what takes place in ...more
Laura *Little Read Riding Hood*
Dec 8, 2018: Man that was so good. So. Good. I will listen to the audio when it comes out. I love this world.

Jan 10, 2019: I finished this book about a month ago, and I think I can be coherent enough now in a review that it wouldn't be all gifs. Maybe.

The bond Nell has with her team has grown strong over the series, and that really shows in this book. I have loved watching her develop distinct relationships with each person, and especially love her with Occam and Rick. Occam because he is just
Brenda Rezk
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Circle of the Moon is the fourth book in the Soulwood series. Set in the Jane Yellowrock universe, the events in this book take place after Dark Queen, so there are big spoilers for that book in this one!

Nell Ingram is still a probationary officer in Unit Eighteen of PSY-LED, the US law-enforcement agency covering crimes involving non-humans, aka supernaturals. Unit Eighteen is based in Knoxville, TN, where some unusual witch circles have been showing up. It isn't clear what the circles are inte
Thomas
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
A solid 3 1/2 stars for the latest installment Faith Hunter's terrific spinoff from the Jane Yellowrock series.

This one doesn't disappoint as Nell Ingram is forced to dig deep within herself and the power of Soulwood to defeat another horrible abomination. The other characters continue to move forward and have breakthroughs of their own.

The story, like all such adventures in this universe, is filled with action and a lot of puzzle-solving along the way. There's plenty of PsyLED in this one and
Mitticus

starting to irk me that the authors insist that I should feel pity for some hateful characters.(cofilonacofandnowhuntercof)

_RTC_
Douglas Meeks
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This 4th book of the series was a bit harder to review than the others for me, it was more of a police procedural at heart than some of the others since several subplots revolved around a mystery that we get to observe being solved a bit at a time. Add that to the fact that Nell is like no other heroine in modern fiction it makes it hard to do any comparisons.

There is the usual mix of things like the continuing romance with Occam that gets the flame turned up just a bit, the always tenacious rel
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Robin and I discussed our ideas and I am paraphrasing them. I couldn't have done this without her. I really needed to talk things out because there were some confusing aspects.   The Soulwood series  is urban fantasy so I would definitely read these in order to not be lost. We debated about whether one needs to read the Jane
John Colley
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding

Love anything by Faith Hunter and this was no different. You do need to have read the previous books and the church lingo is a bit of a challenge. No spoilers but trees can be scary!
Lisa Miller
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As other reviewers have said, there are spoilers for the 12th book in her Jane Yellowrock series, Dark Queen. It is strongly suggested you read this book AFTER having read that one. It might also be a good idea to read the short story, Cat Tats before this one, as many of the events in that story are also referenced in Circle of the Moon. (Personally, I had to read all of the novels and short stories/novellas/novelettes. I would have felt incomplete if I had not.)

I met Nell Ingram for the first
Cory Williams
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sword
I was given a few days with an ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review. First, if you are reading the Jane Yellowrock novels, read Dark Queen before picking this book up. There are major spoilers for that story in this book. If you are not a Jane reader, it gives you the information needed to understand what is going on outside of Knoxville that impacts the community, as we have seen in the previous novels.
Circle of the Moon is a fantastic addition to this series. It continues to show the c
RachelW (BamaGal)
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Okay, I like this series, and I like Nell. She’s a breath of fresh air in this UF world. I enjoy reading about her background, para talents, and life. That being said, it took me four weeks to get through this book; not because I didn’t enjoy it, overall I did. However, I wanted the storyline to be more linear as to Unit 18 and the witch circles case being investigated. The plot wandered a bit, and into far too many subplots. The biggest issue for me was the dependence on the ‘Jane Yellowrock’ s ...more
Carol Van horn
This was a re-read and I now love this series even more!!!!!!
Tracy
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this ARC for an honest review. This is not a stand alone book. I love how Nell grows through this series. She developed more self confidence, and you want to yell YES! Nell is learning how to manage having her younger sister Mudd and her job at the same time. Nell and Occam’s relationship is changing....how? You must read the book. In this book, Ming of Glass, the MOC of Knoxville, is being attacked. Nell and the spook group must find out why. Also, someone is targeting Rick LaFleur t ...more
Anna Fox
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book takes place after Dark Queen. If you read both series, you will want to read DQ before you read this book. This book continues to develop Nell, her relationship with Occam, the team and gives more information on Rick. It took me a couple of books to get into this series, but I am enjoying the series immensely now. Faith's books are complex enough that I'm thinking I'll need to go back and reread them to remind myself of what has happened.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for th
Linda Alcorn-burg
I loved the fact that I got the chance to read this ARC. The series is amazing and I can't wait to leave a review of this latest book in the series on the release date. You will not be disappointed with this novel.
Jeanny
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
Pre-ordered the audible version.

A tedious book with the heavy handed goal of making readers sympathetic towards Rick. In my case it only succeeded in making me feel annoyed. 😠 I continue to dislike Rick & my mediocre feelings toward Nell have progressed to indifference. I finished the book but it was a near thing, I was significantly tempted to DNF it 4 chapters towards the end which is a shame. Also I’m uninterested in Rick & Margo’s relationship. It caused me to give the book some seri
Jonelle Bailey
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faith Hunter continues to open paths of depth and detail into these worlds. I love the continued connections between the Jane Yellowrock series and Soulwood. Circle of the moon answers a lot of questions about Rick ( which is awesome) and it shows how large Nell's powers could actually be. In addition you get the warm fuzzies reading out Nell and Occam budding romance. It's a wonderful book and a great series! Thank you Faith!!
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
This was a good installment. I like her way better than Jane and I’m happy things are progressing love wise except the wait until the end fade to black sucked.

And let me just speak about my darling RickyBo. Can he not catch a break. I’m not happy about Margo. Can the man not chose for himself. Dang!!! I saw that a mile away and don’t like her at all.

I’m sad the next book will be a Jane as I dislike her for all the reasons in that series book reviews. Ugh.

Narration was good.
Trisha
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite book of the year so far! All the stars I can give ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Tina Christopher
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Fast-paced, action-packed, and the perfect next instalment in this fabulous series.
We learn so much about some of the characters’ back story and the relationship between Nell and Occam is moving forward.
My one negative is that it felt you should have read what happened in the Jane Yellowrock series. She came up far more than in any of the previous books and it was a little confusing for someone whose only reading Soulwood.
Overall a great read that may drive to a re-read of the whole series.
TJ
Another absolutely addictive, completely engaging delight from one of the best urban fantasy writers out there! ”Circle of the Moon”, like all the Soulwood books, is incredibly creative with twists and turns that are smart, yet present a plotline that I have never read before... and that is REALLY saying something considering the plethora of paranormal books out there!

In this installment we continue to see Nell grow as a woman in a modern society, learn more about her self and expand her abiliti
Suz
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, urban-fantasy
4+ stars

This was an excellent entry into the series, although I'm not sure how I feel about Hunter so very obviously trying to redeem Rick LaFleur. She's made his background so pitiful that you can't hardly help but feel sorry for him - but I still manage not to. She spent too much time making him out to be a womanizer when he was with Jane Yellowrock, and I don't forget that crap readily. But it's cute that she's trying so hard. I hope it's because she has something good cooked up and is just t
Donald
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Faith Hunter delivers. Such a rollercoaster of a book. Thrilling. Touching. Funny.
I must confess, I like the Soulwood books better than the Jane books. Nell's character development it's faster than Jane's. Even more complex. And very relatable. Can't wait for the next in the series.
Love love love.
Debrac2014
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good! Now I know why Faith has been pushing the story about Rick's tats!
Stacy
CIRCLE OF THE MOON ended up being my favorite installment of the Soulwood series yet. Weeks later and I'm still thinking about the story and wanting to read more.

Nell has evolved so much since we first met her in the Jane Yellowrock series. I admit that when I started reading the Soulwood series I didn't fully connect to her, but over the course of 4 books I have really gotten to love her character and the way she thinks and works.

Not only has Nell evolved as a character, but her relationships
Erin
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Magnifique!
SOS: Serious Over...: [Mar 2019] "Circle of the Moon" Discussion 1 16 Jan 27, 2019 03:51PM
  • The Beyond (Devil's Isle, #4)
  • Wild Country (The World of the Others, #2; The Others, #7)
  • Grave Destiny (Alex Craft, #6)
  • Demon's Dance (Lizzie Grace, #4)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)
  • Siren's Song (Dorina Basarab #4.6)
  • Red Hot Rain (Weather Warden, #10)
  • Wicked Bite (Night Rebel, #2)
  • Watcher in the Woods (Rockton, #4)
  • Untitled (Fever, #11)
  • Unholy Luck (Downside Ghosts, #6)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • The Cold Light of Day (Charlie Madigan, #5)
  • Wolf Rain (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #3; Psy-Changeling, #18)
Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series is a dark urban fantasy. Jane is a full blooded Cherokee skinwalker and hunter of rogue-vampires in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

Her Rogue Mage novels—Bloodring, Seraphs, Host, and the RPG Rogue Mage—feature Thorn St. Croix, a stone mage in a post-apocalyptic alternate reality.

The Soulwood series is a dark-urban fantasy / paranormal

Soulwood (4 books)
  • Blood of the Earth (Soulwood, #1)
  • Curse on the Land (Soulwood, #2)
  • Flame in the Dark (Soulwood, #3)
“I love you, Nell, sugar. I love you with no demands. Nothing held back. I love you to the exclusion of all others. I love you now, when you are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. I loved you when you were a tree. I will love you when you grow gray haired and your leaves are brittle and brown. I want to make love to you. When you happen to be ready. When you know you love me that exact same way.” 0 likes
“make” 0 likes