Start by marking “Lady Derring Takes a Lover (The Palace of Rogues #1)” as Want to Read:
Lady Derring Takes a Lover (The Palace of Rogues #1)

Lady Derring Takes a Lover

(The Palace of Rogues #1)

A mistress. A mountain of debt. A mysterious wreck of a building.

Delilah Swanpool, Countess of Derring, learns the hard way that her husband, "Dear Dull Derring," is a lot more interesting—and perfidious—dead than alive. It's a devil of an inheritance, but in the grand ruins of the one building Derring left her, are the seeds of her liberation. And she vows never again to
Mass Market Paperback, 373 pages
Published February 26th 2019 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Lady Derring Takes a Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lady Derring Takes a Lover

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

No one, particularly not her late husband, had ever valued her for wits. Oh, but she possessed them.

Starting off the Palace of the Rogues series, Lady Derring Takes a Lover, is a magnificent return to historicals for Long. The first thirty percent of the book was perfection with our heroine Delilah being told by her solicitor that her late husband was in mass
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth

READ MY REVIEW ON THE BLOG (live on February 26th)

“Delilah . . .” he said softly, suddenly. And her name almost sounded like a song.

Ahh how long I've been waiting for Julie Anne Long to return to Historical Romance. Finally, FINALLY she gives us a delightful story that will have any fan of this sub genre laugh and swoon.

Lady Delilah Derring makes an oath: never again she will be dependent on a man. Her late husband left nothing but debt and a bitter taste. Except for a shabby, old house with
Caz
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars/B+.

Confession time: I still haven’t managed to read all of Julie Anne Long’s Pennyroyal Green series.  I’ve read four or five of the books, and the rest are on my TBR Pile of Doom; I think the series started before I got into romance reading in a big way, and I just haven’t found the time to catch up yet (and this isn’t the only author/series/book that applies to!)

Fortunately for me, though, I get to be in on the ground floor of the author’s latest series, The Palace of Rogues , whi
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
Solid 3.5 Stars

I love JAL’s books, the humor, her writing and dialogue is what usually makes it a hit read for me, but I just wasn’t as engaged with this story the way I wanted to be. It definitely has that first book in the series syndrome.

But with that said, I’m very excited for book 2!🙌🏽

________________________________________

OMG she's writing historicals again!!!!🙌🏽

description
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Lady Derring Takes a Lover
Series: The Palace of Rogues #1
Author: Julie Anne Long
Release date: February 26, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre: historical romance

This is my first Julie Anne Long book! I know, I know. Where have I been? Thanks to my girl Astrid (once again) I've found another author to faithfully follow in the genre. I think this is going to be the year I fully get back into historical romance because I have been enjoying an amazing run in the past couple of months with them! Julie
Mei
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice!

I liked the idea of wife and her late husband's lover joining forces to survive in the men's world! Well done!

I liked also how little things were introduced to make lighter the otherwise difficult moment in both women's lives! Like the maid, Dot! Or like the rules they have for the guests of the boardinghouse!

The romance between Delilah and Tristan was credible and their banter was great! I just could see them!

What I didn't find particularely interesting was the mystery about cigar smu
OLT
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yay, she's back! Julie Anne Long took a break from historical romances after finishing up her Pennyroyal Green series in 2015 and ventured into contemporary romance, relatively successfully. But I prefer HRs and have always been fond of the way JAL writes romance. You can feel the chemistry between H and h and the attraction and relationship build rather slowly, the way I like it.

This is the start to a new HR series and began as a 5-star book for me. How can you not love a story that begins with
Jan
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
3 to 3.5 stars. I was excited to read a new Julie Anne Long HR, and first in a new series too. But I was a little disappointed once I actually read it. Some magical something seemed to be missing from the book. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't wonderful for me, either.

The setup is decent. I felt for both Lady Derring and her offsider Mrs Breedlove at the start of the book. The Palace of Rogues is a good concept to build a book and a series on. I liked Captain Hardy, and I didn't mind that he's not
Lover of Romance
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on Addicted To RomanceI received this book for free from Avon in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Lady Derring Takes A Lover is the first book in her latest series “Palace of Rogues” and I am so happy that Julie Anne Long is coming back to historical romance. She just does fabulous work in writing historical romance, especially since she does a decent job with the dialogue and setting up the r
Jultri
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
JAL's long awaited return to HR with book one of a brand new series. Did it thrill me? No, not quite but neither was I too disappointed. She spends time setting up the stage for her series and hence it was expected that the main characters and plotline in this book would be compromised somewhat.

The introductory chapters of this book were enjoyable as we meet two strong female characters in the heroine, the newly widowed Lady Delilah Derring, and her husband's mistress, Angelique Breedlove(!). F
Stacee
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I’m always eager to find the start of a new series from a new to me author and this one didn’t disappoint.

I loved Delilah and Tristan. She’s so open and optimistic and he’s so gruff and realistic. Together they have excellent conversation and flirty banter and the best chemistry. I truly enjoyed reading them get to know each other. I’m also loving Angelique and hoping hoping hoping the next book is hers.

Plot wise it was a bit slow moving. There’s a good amount of things to build up an
Beanbag Love
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually 3.5 but I'll round up for love of JAL.

This one had a similar feel to Long's "It Started with a Scandal" where the love interests low key dance around each other as the sexual/romantic tension builds. That book was incredibly successful in that effort and it's one of my favorites of the Pennyroyal Green series. The tension between those two leads crackles (what a 'historical romance' way to say it, but it's true) while the tension in this one felt repetitive and needlessly frustrating.

D
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
Unfortunately, despite the gorgeous writing (see all the highlights I have!) I will have to give this book 3.5 starts rounded down to 3. Good writing doesn’t always win the day after all.

Now, Julie Anne Long is one of my very favorite if not THE favorite HR author’s, and I’ve been breathless with anticipation for her latest HR release. (I enjoyed her contemporary roms but not nearly as much. None of the, would be 5 stars for me). So a 3.5 might also be related to the fact that I have higher stan
Under the Covers Book Blog

This was my first time reading Julie Anne Long and I didn't know what to expect.  I immediately noticed a very distinct writing style and I'll be honest at first it took me a little while to get into it.  Once I settled in and got used to it, I was ok with it even if I probably will say it wasn't one that really flowed easily for me.

Delilah has j
Barbara Rogers
Series: The Palace of Rogues #1
Publication Date: 2/26/19
Number of Pages: 384

***3.5 Stars ***
It has been a long time since I’ve read a book by this author and it is nice to see her in the historical romance category again. I really, really, really wanted to absolutely love this book and from the blurb, I was sure that I would. I liked it pretty well but didn’t absolutely love it. I absolutely adore a great romance with a great mystery, but these seemed to both fall a bit short.

Delilah Swanpool, C
Angie
Originally reviewed here @ Angieville

I found my way to Julie Anne Long's writing in a bit of a piecemeal fashion. Her long-running Pennyroyal Green series is widely beloved and records the various and sundry escapades of the always-scheming, never repentant Eversea and Redmond families. Really, the series is worth the price of admission for the hilarious (and ever-evolving) "Ballad of Colin Eversea" alone (though Colin's is not actually my favorite book). But I've come to believe that this swee
Addie H
(Tropes: Widow, Riches to Rags, Opposites Attract, Class Difference, Unstarched (heroine)

description

Julie Ann Long is always a bit hit or miss for me – or rather super-hit or super-miss – so I started this a little sceptic. But it’s without a doubt in historicals JAL shines.

- “What brings you back to The Grand Palace on the Thames, Captain Hardy?”
His small, intimate smile removed the bones from her knees.
“So you do remember me, Lady Derring.”
She ignored the smile and remembered that her blood was blu
Susan (susayq ~)
I had forgotten how much I enjoy Julie Anne Long's writing. She crafts a story that enthrall and entertains and makes you laugh, as well as shed a tear.

I loved Tristan, Delilah, and Angelique. I even loved Dot. Watching Tristan and Delilah fall in love made me swoon. It was fantastic.

I can not wait to see what happens in the next book for Angelique. She deserves some happiness :)
Aly
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
A few days after her husband died, Lady Derring learn that he had many debts and the only thing she can keep is a building by the docks. At the solicitor's office, Delilah also makes an unusual friend. Determined to make her own decisions and not depend on a man anymore, she decide to transform her new property into a boarding house and establish a list of amusing but sensible rules to create a friendly environment.

Orphan at 8 and getting a position as a naval captain's assistant when he was 10
Sheila Melo
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I have perhaps seen more beautiful women, but the difference between them and you is like the difference between the grimy window and one rubbed clean, one though which the sun shines. It is about a certain quality of light."

FINAL DECISION: A book about love and friendship and building a family, I loved this book. Long writes such beautiful prose about love and relationship that I just fell into this book and didn't want to find my way out. A great start to Long's return to historical romance.

T
FV Angela
Review originally posted at https://smexybooks.com/2019/03/angela...

When Delilah Swanpool, Countess of Derring, finds herself destitute after the death of her husband, she does what any desperate yet resourceful woman does. She takes the only thing left to her, a few jewels and an empty building, and goes into business with her husband’s former mistress as the proprietors of London’s newest boardinghouse.

This was such a delightfully different historical romance. The hero is Captain of the King’
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Lady Derring Takes a Lover by Julie Anne Long is book One in The Palace of Rogues. This is the story of Captain Tristan Hardy and Delilah Swanpool, Countess of Derring.
Delilah has been pretty much sold by her family to a husband that is several years older than her, used by him as a means to get an heir. But now he is died and she is a young widow with nothing to show because her husband left her in debit. But she does find one property that she can claim that she can make into something. Delil
Keri
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As much as I love JAL's contemporaries, she really shines in this genre....so welcome back and I can't wait for the next in the series, I haz a sad that it isn't already out. I do want to say that I am glad that you and yours survived the Cali wildfires, even though you lost everything I can tell that you aren't letting it slow you down. Completely awesome read!
Pamela Sparkman
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I smiled the whole time reading this one.
Marlene
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

Lady Derring Takes a Lover is absolutely delightful. And it was exactly what I was in the mood for, which made it even better.

In a way, this story reminds me of Someone to Love by Mary Balogh – which is high praise considering just how many “best of the year” lists that book turned up on!

There’s a similarity between the two books because they both effectively begin with Dickens’ Christmas Carol opening, “Marley was dead: to begin with.” Because both stories
Gaele
“Thank you sir. I should never have worked any of that out on my own. Thank goodness a man came along.”

And therein is the crux and the tale of this story: women, ill-treated by the men in their lives and wholly fed up with the lot of them, and the ‘constraints’ placed by society that determine their should and should nots.

Delilah Derring, formerly known as Countess and her friend Angelique Breedlove have both been left in penury with the death of Delilah’s ‘Dear Dull Derring’ the Earl and h
Jaci
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jumping up and down with joy!! Julie Anne Long has started a new Historical Romance Series.

Lady Delilah Swanpool, Countess of Derring is now a widow. Her selfish dull husband is dead and she is destitute. Her husband left only a pile of debts. She has no idea how she will survive. After all, she is a lady and was never expected to earn her own living.

From the family solicitor, she finds out that her husband owned a building near the Thames.

She thinks she has hit on the perfect way to use the pr
Sissy's Romance Book Review
Blodeuedd Finland
Delilah is a young widow left with nothing. Her husband was in debt, but he did leave her a house by the docks. And she gets the idea of making into a boarding house...by the docks...

She was kind, but she did have a side she never got to show as she was the nice little wife for her husband. I did like her snark, you never saw it coming.

Tristan is looking for smugglers and his quest leads him to her door. And honestly why this was I do not know. i mean I get why, but two and four does not five ma
Lu
3,5 stars rounded to 4

Delilah is an interesting heroine, a kind spirit that sees the best in everyone and wants people around her to be happy. She surely made a lemonade with the lemons life threw on her.
Tristan is a St. Giles orphan transformed into an army captain and King’s right arm man.
The characters are interesting, but there was something missing in the plot. The idea of a boarding house near the docks was sweet, but the whole deal, with the set of rules and the guests seemed quite out o
  • The Scoundrel in Her Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #3)
  • When a Rogue Meets His Match (Greycourt, #2)
  • A Rogue by Night (The Devils of Dover, #3)
  • The Devil Comes Courting (The Worth Saga #3)
  • One Fine Duke (School for Dukes, #3)
  • Ten Things I Hate About the Duke (Difficult Dukes, #2)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • Governess Gone Rogue (Dear Lady Truelove, #3)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • When a Duchess Says I Do (Rogues to Riches #2)
  • Untitled (Rokesbys #4)
  • The Austen Playbook (London Celebrities, #4)
  • This Scot of Mine (The Rogue Files, #4)
  • The Governess (Wicked Wallflowers, #3)
  • A Duke in Disguise (Regency Imposters, #2)
  • It's Getting Scot in Here (Wild Wicked Highlanders, #1)
  • No Other Duke But You (Playful Brides, #11)
  • Dukes Are Forever (London Steampunk: The Blue Blood Conspiracy #5)
Well, where should I start? I've lived in San Francisco for more than a decade, usually with at least one cat. I won the school spelling bee when I was in 7th grade; the word that clinched it was 'ukulele.' I originally set out to be a rock star when I grew up (I had a Bono fixation, but who didn't?), and I have the guitars and the questionable wardrobe stuffed in the back of my closet to prove it ...more

The Palace of Rogues (2 books)
  • Angel in a Devil's Arms (The Palace of Rogues, #2)
“Rough language, drinking, spitting, or smoking will not be tolerated in the drawing room when ladies are present, and will be fined one pence per word. We've a jar, you see."

"A jar." He said this with every evidence of fascination.

"But we also have a withdrawing room for gentlemen, in which they can unleash their baser impulses in case the effort of restraint becomes too much to bear."

Lady Derring was very dry.

"What a relief to hear. Tethering instincts wears a devil out."

He was rewarded with a smile, one of delightful, slow, crooked affairs, as if she just couldn't help herself, and he, for a moment, could not have formed words for admiring it.”
1 likes
“They regarded each other somberly, making internal adjustments to accommodate the mere glorious fact of each other.” 0 likes