Start by marking “The Islanders: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Islanders: A Novel

The Islanders: A Novel

J. Courtney Sullivan’s Maine meets the works of Elin Hilderbrand in this delicious summer read involving three strangers, one island, and a season packed with unexpected romance, well-meaning lies, and damaging secrets.

Anthony Puckett was a rising literary star. The son of an uber-famous thriller writer, Anthony’s debut novel spent two years on the bestseller list and won
Expected publication: June 11th 2019 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Islanders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Islanders

Peg
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy Elin Hilderbrand and her novels set on Nantucket, you'll enjoy this light "beach read" with well-developed characters from Meg Mitchell Moore. It's set on Block Island during the summer season. The three main characters are:

1. Anthony, a summer renter, whose first novel was a blockbuster but he has been disgraced by plagiarizing in his second novel. His father is a famous author and is angry with his son for what he did.

2. Lu, a summer renter, is an unhappy stay-at-home mom who feel
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Toni
Shelves: general-fiction
*Review is of an advanced reader copy

This is the ideal summer read. An engaging story with fully-fleshed characters on an island setting. Meg Mitchell Moore does Elin Hilderbrand better than Elin Hilderbrand! Unlike the tony island paradise of Hildebrand fare, the location here is the less upper crust, Block Island. Its full time residents are more working class, thus making the characters more accessible. (Note: I do not mean this to come across as a criticism of Elin Hildebrand because I throu
Kirsty
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
I was intrigued by The Islanders, but having not enjoyed one of her previous books, I felt a touch sceptical. I didn't find this novel at all interesting, and the characters were too normalised to stand out. I will not be reading more of Mitchell Moore's work in future.
Lisa
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The Islanders is a light but enjoyable read, perfect a lazy Sunday (or any day) or a beach read (which is perfect since this novel will be out this coming summer)! Told through multiple story lines, from the 3 main character's points of view, the story is woven together carefully, interlocking the lives of these characters. I enjoyed visiting with this cast of individuals and their lovely island, and read their story quickly as I came to care about them. I especially enjoyed the teenaged daughte ...more
Jo Dervan
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story takes place one summer on the middle class vacation spot of Block Island. It is about the lives of three strangers living on the island that summer and how their lives intersect. The chapters are told from each of their points of view.

The first character is Anthony, the son of a world famous novelist. Anthony has come to the island to recover after his involvement in big publishing scandal was revealed. He is house sitting for the relative of a friend. Lu is the mother of 2 boys and
Nettie
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Meg Mitchell Moore’s ‘The Islanders’ is a novel worth reading and would be a really great addition to your beach tote. Oh, the secrets! It’s so much fun discovering them while you spend the summer on Block Island with some believable and engaging characters. You want to give each of them the assurance and the hug that they need. The beginning of the novel pulls you quickly into the story. After the summer passes and all the secrets are revealed.....even more secrets than you initially think..... ...more
Jill
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-books
Anthony, Joy and Lu all find themselves on Block Island for different reasons, Joy as the only full-time resident of the perspectives offered, each within different key intersections of their lives. Dubbed for fans of Elin Hilderbrand or J. Courtney Sullivan, The Islanders offers a slower paced summer getaway.

The back-cover description seems to offer the promise of a juicy death and unraveling secrets, but in reality the outcome is far less juicy and far more abrupt. There were certainly tones
Janilyn Kocher
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Three residents of Block Island interact over one summer and have tough decisions to make and secrets to reveal. Lu has a secret career from her husband, who wants her to be content with being a stay at home mom. Anthony is in disgrace with the publishing world and is a mess, in general. Joy is a small business owner, navigating the tricky course of mothering a teenage daughter and trying to make a living with rising costs. There is quite a bit of character develo ...more
Karen Pennington
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was gifted this book from the publisher #HarperCollins. What a treat it was. If a beach read is your genre you will love this. I was unfamiliar with the author but I am going back to read all she has written.
The book centers around 3 characters. A disgraced author, a dissatisfied sahm and a single mother and business owner. It is set on Block Island, which appears to be a step sister to Martha’s Vineyard. It has romance, conflict, family drama, jealousy, all the good stuff. So happy I found th
Jackie
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. I enjoyed the story and the way the characters interacted. Their different viewpoints made for great pacing. The Block Island location was fun. I have never been there so I liked finding out about it. I got nervous when the hurricane was introduced. I've read several books where this becomes the highlight of the story. It was not overused here, so that was a relief.
Katelyn
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book got me out of a reading slump. I ate it up and loved it. A perfect summer read with interesting characters living on a small east coast island, including an unsatisfied stay at home mom (with a secret blogging job) staying in a summer rental, a single mom who owns a bakery and lives on the island, and a disgraced male author whose father is a bestselling author (think James Patterson). Highly recommended beach (and winter) read.
Diana
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading this book. Had interesting characters - several authors, Joy is a single mother raising her teenage daughter while running a small bakery coffee shop, summer visitors whose lives change as the weeks progress, romance, and surprises along the way. A positively wonderful read for any time of the year - but a great beach read also! Another great read from Goodreads!!!
Bobbi
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable novel filled with love, secrets, and the sights and sounds of an island resort in summer. This one will definitely have a place in my Beach Reads section!

My thanks to the author, HarperCollins, Tavia Kowalchuk, Molly Waxman, and Kstherine Nintzel for the ARC. The book will be available on June 11, 2019.
Michael
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Exceptional story. So very entertaining from start to finish. Each of the characters so well crafted and they go from being strangers to being close. Block Island is a great location for the story and sounds like a wonderful place. The story just draws you into it and you feel a part of it. This is a great story that I really enjoyed reading. I won this book in a GoodReads Giveaway.
Chaya Nebel
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
3 characters' lives intertwine in one summer on Block Island. I found none of the characters sympathetic: 1 is hiding a secret from her husband about a second income; 1 is a sad sack of a person who comes to hide out from a writing transgression; the third is a whiny, clingy mother of a teenager. Just couldn't keep my interest.
Betsy  Aiello
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the characters and their interaction with each other. The plot was believable. It moved along. I think it would be a great vacation book! Thank you to William Morrow a d Meg Mitchell Moore. Loved it.
Rana Z
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
ARC read for Novel Neighbor
The interweaving of lives that are in flux on Block Island give this beachy read a fast clip that is interesting but not engrossing. I liked the characters but some of the ideas were too predictable for me.
Katherine Goldblum
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I picked it up because I thought it sounded interesting...I was wrong. Forced myself to finish it anyway.
Kathy Webb
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a GoodReads giveaway. Thank you to everyone involved. Great book with
Amazing characters!!
Doreen Ashbrook
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one. Told from the viewpoint of several different (yet intertwined) residents of Block Island. A bit of a 'beach read', but a terrifically enjoyable one.
Norma
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read.
Sharon
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Thanks Goodreads giveaway for this copy of The Islanders. If you enjoy Elin Hilderbrand, this will be in your wheelhouse. A perfect vacation read.
Stephanie
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc, february
Fans of Elin Hilderbrand will likely enjoy, as THE ISLANDERS takes us to a new island, Block Island, and provides a similar (if less successful) character-driven look at the lives of locals.
Geraldine Barnes
Oct 21, 2018
Natalie
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely surprise! This is a fun read, yes it’s a great beach book, but I enjoyed it under my covers while it was hailing outside. The way Ellin Hildebrand makes Nantucket a character in her novels, Moore does the same for Block Island.

Her characters are likable and well-developed.. yes, there is a level of predictability, but the book is so well written that I delighted in learning about the various denizens of the island. The famous author, his disgraced son and the family secret which i
Jamie
Heather
Dec 29, 2018
Kmt
Jan 28, 2019
Meg Mitchell Moore worked for several years as a journalist. Her work has been published in Yankee, Continental, Women’s Health, Advertising Age and many other business and consumer magazines. She received a B.A. from Providence College and a master’s degree in English Literature from New York University. The Arrivals is her first novel. Her second novel will be published by Reagan Arthur Books in ...more