Start by marking “A Beach Wish” as Want to Read:
A Beach Wish

A Beach Wish

New York Times bestselling author Shelley Noble returns to the beach in her latest summer read about the family we create and the wishes we make that can shape us.

Zoe Bascombe has never said no to her family. When she blew her Juilliard audition, she caved to their wishes and went to business school. But when her mother dies and leaves instructions for Zoe to spread her as
Published June 25th 2019 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about A Beach Wish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Beach Wish

Start your review of A Beach Wish
Berit☀️✨
ᴘᴇʀғᴇᴄᴛ. sᴜᴍᴍᴇʀ. ʀᴇᴀᴅ.

Shelley Noble has crafted the PERFECT summer read. Intriguing well developed characters. A beautiful beach setting. Plenty of family drama. And even a dash of romance. I love stories like this that completely whisk you away into the lives of the characters in the book. Zoe finds herself in a small New England town. She is there to spread her mothers ashes, but why would her mom want her ashes in a place that the family has never heard of? We all know our parents had a lif
DJ Sakata
My Rating:

4.5

Favorite Quotes:

Zoe took a quick last look in her rearview mirror, where her family appeared as a perfectly framed photo for a bare second before dispersing out of frame. Like an Etch A Sketch drawing turned upside down.

Actually I’m, uh, working remotely.” Just a little white lie. Just reshuffle the words and you had “I’m not remotely working.”

A feud, star-crossed lovers, an angry old rock star, and a missing hotel proprietor—it’s just like Shakespeare in the Park without the mosqui
Chatting About
A Novel full of surprises in a lovely beach setting. Humor. The wind chimes are magical. Loved it!
Karen Wahl
Round up to 3.5. I received this book from Goodreads Giveaways. I did enjoy the book and loved most of the characters. I especially loved Floret and Henry! It was a unique storyline which was enjoyable to read. Loved the location and the descriptions of the wind chimes which made you hear them clearly in your head! I love reading stories about families and what childhood/teen years events that travel into adulthood.
karen wescott
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People should not wait until they die to share family secrets.
Sue
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love reading books about the beach during the summer. This was much more than a beach read - it was the story about family and love and a fun book to read. There were a lot of characters and I think some of them could have been left out with no problem but I was able to keep up with all of the main characters. My favorite had to be Zoe. She was on a quest to fulfill her mother's final wish and even though it made absolutely no sense to her why her mother wanted her ashes scattered on a beach t ...more
Shelly Spiller
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was okay, but not something that would take you away. The book really didn't get around to adequately explaining why Jenny let Eve go with Hannah or much about Lee's and Jenny's relationship. I did like the setting, you can't go wrong with a day at the beach.
Sharlene
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. Shelley Noble always writes great books about family relationships. I always consider her when I need a good book for the beach, pool or easy chair. Appealing location with great characters.
Leah
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This wasn't what I hoped it would be. I liked the beach and the house and the wind chimes. Those were delightful. The characters were okay. Some were over the top. I didn't like the story. It was not what I was expecting. I knew it was about family, but I didn't think it would go down that road.
Mary Marsan
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I good quick summer read!
Anita Johnson
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is much more than a light beach read. Zoe has always done what her family thought she should do but her mother's last request of her changes everything she and her brothers always believed. Excellent story!
Bruna (bruandthebooks)
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I devoured this book over the course of two days. It is such a pleasant story and the whole time I was reading it, I wished I could transport myself to Wind Chime Beach. Shelley Noble did an amazing job describing the city and the lovely hippie commune around it.

Zoe’s mom, Jenny, passed away and left a letter with her last wishes: she wants Zoe to spread her ashes at Wind Chime Beach. Zoe has no idea where this place is and how her mom knows about it.
As soon as Zoe gets to this small city in New
Sara
It was an enjoyable summer read. The cast of characters was varied but I felt that some of them weren’t as well rounded as I would have liked. Perhaps having so many that were important to the story prohibited them all from being explored as deeply as I would have liked. (David comes to mind). Although I loved Chris; I want to tour NYC with him. *I won copies of this book for my book club *
Brandy
May 12, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I won this through a goodreads giveaway. The book was just okay. I really wanted to love it. Who doesn’t really love a beach read with some family drama added to the mix. I just couldn’t get attached to the characters. There were too many loose ends that just didn’t tie together.
Deborah
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting storyline - however, with this many characters involved, I wish it had been longer so we could have gotten more backstory on and perspective from everybody. Alternatively, fewer characters could have been written in - for instance, we never even saw the character Harmony, although she was mentioned several times. The big reveal about the feud and much of the dialogue fell flat for me; it was also a little hard to keep track of the timeline. I was not always a fan of the writing style ...more
Marlene
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

A Beach Wish is purely delightful women’s fiction. Or chick lit. Some of the women who move forward with their lives in the course of this story are young enough to be figuring their lives out for the first time. And some are on their way to second, third or even fourth inventions of self. And one who might be on fifth or sixth – except that she fails, again.

That’s only part of the story.

As so many stories begin, to paraphrase Charles Dickens in his immorta
Andrea Guy
Shelly Noble is becoming one of my "summer" authors. I find myself always reading her latest at this time of year.

This book was a bit of an emotional read for me and it was slow going because of it. That's just me. I just lost my mother this past Oct and any book that involves the death of a parent, especially a mother is hard for me to read, no matter how good it is.

When Zoe's mom dies, she discovers that her mother has kept some secrets. She finds that out when she has to take her mom's ashes
Alexis
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: slice-of-life
This was pretty good. If I could give it a 3.75 I would. It's on the good side of okay. It's a terrific look at family dynamics, but I really wish there was a sequel that followed these characters beyond. I think they'd have more time to set up more interpersonal developments in a sequel. RE: Romance.

I never thought I'd be disappointed that a book didn't turn into a sappy HEA tearfest, but I really am. I wanted Zoe and Eve to get that HEA. Is that realistic? No. But I totally didn't pick this bo
Patty
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was able to read this beach read at the beach – it doesn’t get much better than that, does it? This is my second book by Ms. Noble; I had previously read her Stargazey Point. In A Beach Wish the reader is introduced to Zoe, a young woman who loves music but failed at her goal to get into Juilliard so is now just treading water through her life. Then her mother dies which rocks her world. Her mother leaves instructions for Zoe to scatter her ashes at a place called Wind Chime Beach. A place tha ...more
Patti
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On April 6, 2019, I received the book A Beach Wish by Shelley Noble for free through Goodreads First Reads. This author is one I have never read before, so I wanted to try a new author and the book sounded very interesting. I guessed the premise of the book; however, it was very convenient that all the brothers (Errol, Robert, and Chris) were married or in relationships so the unmarried sister who is a dead ringer for the mother went on the quest by herself. I did enjoy when Chris showed up. Som ...more
Barry Martin Vass
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is great fun to read. For most people, being in a family gives them their first sense of place, of "belonging", in a much larger world. Author Shelley Noble takes this idea, wrings it out, and turns it completely upside down. When their mother dies unexpectedly, Zoe Bascombe and her three older brothers are further surprised that their mother doesn't want to be buried in the family plot on Long Island; rather, she specifies in her will that she wants to be cremated and her ashes scattered a ...more
Jaimee
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
📚Book Review📚

I was lucky enough to win A Beach Wish by Shelley Noble on Goodreads. I thought this was a nice, relaxing read with some family drama thrown into it. Zoe’s mother passed away and left her instructions to spread her ashes on Wind Chime Beach. Zoe had never heard of this place and had no idea why her mother would make such a request. When she finally arrives, she is shocked to learn that she has family there..including a sister! The story was good, but it was a slow read for me. The c
Phyllis Jones Pisanelli
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book a lot. I will have to admit right off the bat that I am a sucker for books dealing with mothers and daughters losing their mothers. They usually tend to be tear jerkers for me. I lost my mom 22 years ago and it is something you never get over. When the main character is chosen to scatter her mother's ashes, I knew I was going to shed a few tears. If a book is able to pull raw emotion right out of you, it is going to be a good book and one that I would highly recommend. There ...more
Trixi
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick summer read. Zoe is tasked to take her mother's ashes and spread them on a beach of a town the family has never heard of. Upon Zoe's arrival at a local inn, she eventually discovers that her mother had a life she never spoke about when she was a teenager. Zoe also learns that she has a bunch of relatives she was unaware of that may or may not be accepting of Zoe. As to not include spoilers, Zoe and other people go through a lot of turmoil before coming to terms with decisions that were m ...more
Sonya Loyer
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-ve-won
I won this Kindle book through a Goodreads Giveaway. I love the cover! Looking at it, I would have guessed that it would be a romance. There is a smidge of romance, but I would say that this book is more about all the different relationships within a family and the major shocks that can reverberate when secrets come to light. The characters are compelling and the location is devine. The calm and loving elderly hippy couple next door help to offset the anger, bitterness and unforgiveness of the o ...more
Dundee Library
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I wish I could have been at the beach reading it.
Zoe's mom Jenny, has passed away and left very detailed instructions of what she wants. She wants Zoe to take her remains to a place that no one in her family has ever heard of, Wind Chime Beach. Confused, Zoe says good bye to her upset brothers and heads out. Once there, Zoe begins to realize that her mom had a life before marriage and kids.
This was an easy read that kept me interested with its drama, love and family.
Stacy
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect summer read. A story of wonder and family dynamics. Zoe is an incredibly strong character. You can't help but feel her emotions as your own. What would you do if you found out you had a whole other family. Not just any family,one that is full of crazy drama and years of pent up anger.
Wind chime beach sounds like a beautiful place for loved ones to be laid to rest and remembered. I can hear the chimes in the breeze!
Jeanette
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have read all the books written by Shelley Noble although it has been a while since the last one. This book was enjoyable, but a bit over the top in the family relationships. A bit unbelievable in the characters and their reactions to such unusual situations. You would expect a bit more angst and hurt between Zoe and Mel and I was surprised that they just accepted their relationship so easily. Having said that, I enjoyed the book and while I wouldn't rate it 4 stars it was better than 3.
Greg
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
By her mother's final instructions, a woman is asked to spread her ashes at a place she had never heard of before. As she journeys to comply, she encounters people and places that uncover aspects of her late mother's life of which she had previously been unaware.

The story is interesting and pleasantly enough told but, to be candid, it just wasn't really my "cup of tea."

However, YOU might like it a lot!
Shelana  Ferris
This is the first book I've read by Shelley Noble and was impressed by her writing. It was a great story about family and discovery. Zoe has been instructed by her dead mother via her will to spread her ashes at Wind Chime Beach. She has no clue what ties her Mom has to Wind Chime Beach but as the story progresses Zoe finds another part of her mother and another family. The ending had a closure and the promise of new beginnings for the characters.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Deadly Turn
  • Surfside Sisters
  • Let It Snow
  • The Summer Guests
  • Girls of Summer
  • On Ocean Boulevard
  • Sisters by Choice (Blackberry Island, #4)
  • Drawing Home
  • Hello, Summer
  • A Wedding on the Beach
  • The Summer of Sunshine and Margot
  • A Week at the Shore
  • Sunrise on Half Moon Bay
  • Window on the Bay
  • The Lemon Sisters (Wildstone, #3)
  • The Me I Used to Be
  • A Walk Along the Beach
  • The Islanders
Shelley Noble is a multi published fiction author whose books have been translated into seven languages. She writes women’s fiction as Shelley Noble and is also the author of several amateur sleuth mystery series, written as Shelley Freydont.

A former professional dancer and choreographer, she most recently worked on the films, Mona Lisa Smile and The Game Plan. She also consults on various dance a

News & Interviews

Rumaan Alam began writing Leave the World Behind with a series of tweets on a secret Twitter account he started two years ago.   The book that...