Start by marking “Miss Etta: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Miss Etta: A Novel

Miss Etta: A Novel

She rode with the most famous outlaws of her time. Then she vanished.

Nook
Published September 4th 2018 by Deanna Lynn Sletten

To ask other readers questions about Miss Etta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Etta

Jan Nelson
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to say that I have read many books in my life time ( and I've lived a long time ) but Miss Etta has to be one of the best. This book will keep you up nights, because you will not want to leave the loving and exciting group of people. If I could give this book more than five stars I would.

Grant Leishman
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Reviewed For Readers' Favorite by Grant Leishman

We’ve all seen and enjoyed that great movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but have you ever wondered what happened to the real woman, named Etta Place, from that movie? Well, author Deanna Lynn Sletten has given us a fictional account of who she may have been and what may have become of her, following Butch and Sundance’s supposed demise, in her novel Miss Etta. We will discover her life, as a young woman, before her chance encounter with th
Kim Cano
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Miss Etta is the great novel every writer hopes to pen in their lifetime and the book every reader is dying to find. By mixing known facts with fiction, it tells the story of Etta Place, Sundance the Kid’s wife. The book has action/adventure, with gunslinging bank robbers, brothels, and daring escapes. Friendships that last lifetimes are featured, as is a love triangle, family secrets, and difficult decisions that brought me to tears at the end. If I had to tell people what the book is about in ...more
Patricia Montgomery
Excellent Fiction Based on Historical Events

This was an interesting and entertaining explanation of what could have happened to Etta Place in the early 1900's when she completely disappeared without a trace after Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were reportedly killed in South America. I found the book hard to put down until what I considered a plausible and satisfying ending.
Traci Smith
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

Loved it! What a great read. Makes you wonder what really happened...hope this is a close guess. Very well written <3
Aleta
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Eh. This was a little too sappy for me.
Shelley
Sep 07, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: guest
Author's guest post at my blog:
Tammy  Roberson
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great novel based on historical events around Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I really enjoyed this book. I liked how it switched back an forth from Etta's time with the outlaws to her time as respectable school teacher. I was kept fully entertained and interested. This was one of the best historical novels I have read lately.
Korrin Lawson
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From Wyoming

Hello, this book is such a good read. Iam from Cody Wyoming known for its western history. I grew up with stories passed down through my family about Butch, Sundance, and Etta. I took a western lit class in high school. It was full of myths, legend of the old west. This puts a new spin on a legend.
Dianna
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Hit

As with every book written by Ms. Sletten, you will find yourself so involved that you don't want to put it down.

I am a huge fan of this author. This is an amazing story about a "family of 3" . This family shows how love goes on forever, even after death.
Judy Berk
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started yesterday afternoon.. read til late at night and then re-started/finished this evening.. with happy tears! Truly loved this story! Makes me wish for longer times & questions about life for my own grandmother! Oh those talks that were missed! I think you will love this story :)
Susan (The Book Bag)
I've always loved the movie Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid starring Paul Newman and Robert Redford. I can't even guess how many times I've seen it. There is also a female character in this story, Etta Place. Little is known about her after the outlaws' lives fell apart.

I was so excited when I heard that one of my very favorite authors was working on a book depicting what she thinks Etta's life might have been like after she is separated from the duo. Miss Etta is a believable, heart-warming
Kymm Cummins
What a great book this was! I was enthralled from page one to the very last page and couldn't put it down. The author, who I'd never read anything from before, really got her facts right in this stunning tale of the wife/companion of Sundance Kid. Emily Pleasants alias Emily Place's story is told here in two different times. One when she was living and running with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and two after she'd left the gang and was trying to start a new life with her son in Minnesota. I ...more
Sandie
Who was Etta Place? Was she a school teacher, a prostitute, an outlaw or just a woman who sacrificed for the love of a man? The man in question was Harry Longabaugh aka The Sundance Kid. Etta Place's true identity is a question mark in history as is her fate which remains an intriguing mystery to this date but author Deanna Lynn Sletten has taken the few actual known facts about Sundance, Butch and Etta and created a story out of whole cloth.

In MISS ETTA , Sletten’s imaginative version, the sto
Janet
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, biography, history

Rating 2.75
In the fall of 1895, Etta Place falls in love with Harry Longabaugh, alias the Sundance Kid. She gives up everything to follow him and his partner-in-crime, Butch Cassidy, in their outlaw life across the continent and beyond. Breathtakingly beautiful and every inch a lady, Etta can also ride and shoot as well as any man. As their fugitive life begins to crumble, she finds herself alone and living in a convent with her newborn son. Knowing she can’t hide away forever, she moves halfway
Anne Hendricks
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved how this novel started as a grandmother telling a grandchild of her past and having a similar conclusion. I have always wondered what could have happened to the woman who ran with Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. This author has succeeded in bringing Etta's tale. The ups and downs and twists are amazing and I can only give this book four stars. I just wished we could know what really happened to the real lady... but this fictional account is wonderful. Do yourself a favor and read thi ...more
Reader43
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and Etta

A plausible scenario of Etta's life with the infamous duo. The decision to leave with Harry Longabough was bold and dangerous. History of the exploits of the three has been shown in books and a movie. This depiction is as believable as any. Well written and researched, the story fills blanks in the story, adding to the authenticity. For readers of westerns, outlaws, an h history, this book is a must read.
Mary Worth
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miss Etta is well written with wonderful character development. You find yourself invested in the outcome of the family of three. This was a delightful read about the infamous Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid from the perspective of a woman who loved them both.

It also reminds us everyone has a story and a limited time to share it. By listening to their stories we get a glimpse into the events that shaped their lives allowing us to see them in a new light.
Sharon Abrams
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Miss Etta:a Novel!

I spent some time picking out the perfect book to read and I wasn't disappointed! it had everything I was looking for and more! It had action, true love, surprises, disappointments , a surprise ending that was easy to accept and all loose ends were tied up nicely in the end. Thank you Deanna Lynn Sletten for writing a book I will always cherish and enjoy! Sharon Abrams
Nancy
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Took me awhile to really grasp this story and then it was no putting it down. I have discovered another historical fiction author that I love. Can't wait to read more of her novels.

Took me awhile to really feel the heart of this story and then it was no putting it down. I have discovered another historical fiction author that I love. Can't wait to read more of her novels.
Mickey
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

This book was so far from my usual genre but so worth reading. It’s been a long time since I’ve read a book I just couldn’t put down. One that stays with you long after you finish. One that makes you laugh and makes you cry for the characters. Read it. You won’t be disappointed.
Anita Tilley
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have a passion for History and also have a strong belief that every person is a gold mine of experiences, dreams, hopes and aspersions that make them unique. How enticing to imagine the lovely Etta Place, great love of the Sundance Kid, to be a school teacher. Oh the stories she could tell. Who knows? Was this how her story ended? You decide.
Nikki
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it.

Started this book in the morning and finished it just after lunch. Chores had to wait! It is an amazing book. So we'll written and an easy, enjoyable read. Booked from the start.
Shari Culotta
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A hear warming fictional tale of an incredible life

I had loved the movie of Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid. This novel extends the romance and adventures of the two men and the woman who loved them. It is rich with believable characters and their escapades.
Ann Joyner
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Etta

Great love story of all time. What happened to Butch Cassidy and Sundance? Great introduction to the woman in their life Miss Etta. You will love her
dawn e landers
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No dislikes

Enjoyed the Bloomberg much. Could not put it down. Characters were brought to life and you imagined her life vividly.
Lisa
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Historical Fiction. This book was so good. The historical setting and characters, the love stories. The use of flashbacks worked well in this book. I couldn’t put it down!
Kathi
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid so this was a fun read to follow the life of Etta.
Dawn Baffa
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing story

While the story mixes fact and fiction it was amazing to learn. How a strong woman can walk away from the love of her life twice. Good read
Paula
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, and really didn't want it to end. Very readable. I really felt part of the "family", this book will stay with me for a long time.

• The Promise
  • Stutter Creek (Stutter Creek, #1)
  • The Lost Garden (Tales from Goswell #2)
  • Dance of Souls
  • Hot Sinatra
  • In Search of A Revolution
  • The Sciell (Merging Worlds Series, #1)
  • Hotel on Shadow Lake
  • Ravenswynd Legends (Ravenswynd #1)
  • Inzared, Queen of the Elephant Riders (Book 1)
  • Tahoe Blues
  • The Kingdom
  • Stolen Gifts (Gifts Series, #1)
  • The Black Blade: A Huckster Novel
  • Cloud Riders (Cloud Riders #1)
  • The Bridgeman (Emily Taylor Mystery #1)
  • The Cistern
  • Caught In Time (Alysian Universe, #1)
Deanna Lynn Sletten is the author of MAGGIE'S TURN, FINDING LIBBIE, ONE WRONG TURN, MISS ETTA, and several other titles. She writes heartwarming women's fiction and romance novels with unforgettable characters. She has also written one middle-grade novel that takes you on the adventure of a lifetime. Deanna believes in fate, destiny, love at first sight, soul mates, second chances, and happily eve ...more