Start by marking “Justice Gone” as Want to Read:

Justice Gone

When a homeless war veteran is beaten to death by the police, stormy protests ensue, engulfing a small New Jersey town. Soon after, three cops are gunned down. A multi-state manhunt is underway for a cop killer on the loose. And Dr. Tessa Thorpe, a veteran's counselor, is caught up in the chase. Donald Darfield, an African-American Iraqi war vet, war-time buddy of the beat ...more
Published February 22nd 2019 by Roundfire Books

To ask other readers questions about Justice Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justice Gone

S.P. Aruna
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blown away. That's what I was after reading this novel. Easily the best "new" book I've read this year, as it was published only 3 months ago.

I had to ask myself why I was so taken by Justice Gone. I came up with the following reasons:
1) The narrative is very cinematic, structured into scenes with a beginning, a middle, and an end. Scene after scene. Since I love films as much as books, this doubled the pleasure for me.
2) Character development - the author does this by showing, not telling. as t
Vishnu Chevli
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just like Vishnu I also started exploring newer genres and foreign authors. I try to grab as many opportunities as possible for the same. I first time heard something called a legal thriller when Vishnu told me about "Justice Gone" by N. Lombardi Jr. As I wanted to read something like this I grabbed the opportunity before any of our teammates give their concern.

The protagonist of the story is Dr. Tessa Thorpe, a veteran counselor at New Hope Clinic who stand in support for Donald Darfield who is
Louise Wilson
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
When a homeless war veteran is beaten to death by the police, stormy protests ensue, engulfing a small New Jersey town. Soon after, three cops are gunned down. A multi-state manhunt is underway for a cop killer on the loose. Dr. Tessa Thorpe, a veterans counsellor, is caught up in the chase. Donald Darfield, an African-American Iraqi war vet, war time buddy of the beaten man, and one of Tessa's patients, is holed up in a mountain cabin and Tessa sets off to find him.

The author has done a terrif
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
Justice Gone, a crime thriller that deals with issues relevant to modern American society, vaguely reminds me of John Grisham’s stories.

“What makes a person if not their own experiences?”

This story starts with quite a bang as a man is beaten to death by several policeman. With an opening chapter that raw and explosive, it pulls the reader right into the headspace needed to continue on. I, for one, had to put the book down and process it for some time before continuing. And I’m glad that I did, t
Linda Strong
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it

It starts with a phone call. A bar owner sees a homeless man on the street. The police are told that he's been checking doors on cars parked on the street.

Two cops show up and ask for back up. The homeless man is not armed. A total of 6 cops take him down, beating and tasering him relentlessly.

The man who is now dead is a war veteran ... highly decorated.

The power that be decide that this case must be addressed and put away. They come up with a plan .... send the case to the Grand Jury .. but co
Robyn
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think there has ever been a book that has pushed my buttons within the first fifteen pages. I became so angry and for a moment I was afraid that any review I write would have been of me ranting. While I did calm down, I still found myself thinking back of news stories where police have been involved using excessive force. Even in my own city. Don’t get me wrong, I do respect police officers and I know for the most part they do their best to protect citizens, but you do have a few bad app ...more
Shalini
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The captivating highly engrossing plot, the flamboyance and flair of the defense lawyers, and the plight of the war veterans homeless and suffering from PTSD all caught me in an emotional fray from which I was loathe to escape.

The story was thus, a homeless man was beaten to death by cops, public wanted cops to be prosecuted, a sniper killed the cops, an innocent man was arrested as the cops had no suspects, the lawyers embroiled in a legal drama to prove him innocent ==> hung jury with mist
Reading Badger
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I must confess that I didn't have any expectations when we first received this book from John Hunt Publishing. It didn't speak to me, so I just postponed the moment of reading it, over and over again. When I actually started it, I was surprised how easy to read the novel is and that it took me less than a weekend to finish it.

Read more here:

"Justice Gone" is an easy to read book. Even though it is a thriller, this book is suited for everyone. What I like m
Elaine
What starts with a bar owner trying to get the police to move on a homeless man results in that man, a decorated vet, being brutally beaten up and killed by the police. This triggers investigations, recriminations, political shenanigans and unrest, soon to be followed by the shooting dead of three of the officers involved in the man’s murder. Now, with a man hunt to find the killer, can justice be delivered or will it forever be gone?

This story deals with the many aspects of the judicial system
Anthony
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions are my own.

An emotionally and politically charged thriller like no other, author N. Lombardi Jr. is set to release one of the most relevant and headline grabbing novels of the year with his upcoming release, Justice Gone. Here is the synopsis.

The Synopsis

Stanley McShane
This book delivers a knowledgeable albeit prejudiced punch in a bow to the plight of our PTSD veterans, both with the lack of support for vets as well as the state of awareness of our law enforcement bodies. The protagonist is Dr. Tessa Thorpe, a veterans counselor, who decries the loss of one of her own, beaten to death, as she champions the support of Donald Darfield, close buddy of the vet killed by law enforcement in a less than enlightened confrontation.

This is an excellently drawn scenario
Greville Waterman
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow - what a great book!

I had very low expectations when I started this book by an author I had never come across before but it engaged me from the start and I found it original and moving.

The heroine is Dr. Tessa Thorpe, a veteran's counsellor, who specialises in dealing with war veterans suffering with PTSD and how she copes with the situation when one of her clients is suspected of the revenge killing of three cops who beat another veteran to death.

The action is breathless but the characters
Ritika Chhabra
Follow Just A Girl High On Books for more reviews.

I received a copy of this book as part of the Outset Review Program.

"You saved my life...You know what that means? Now you are responsible for it."

Justice Gone
is the story of a man beaten down to death merely because he didn't have the money to own a house and had no work other than to deliver letters. It is the story of a man who is wrongly accused of the murder of three policemen who killed the homeless man on the basis that he is an African-A
Marilyn
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the title, one would guess that Justice Gone is a legal mystery, but it really is a lot more. From beginning to end, it evokes controversary and arguments that typically fill the comment sections of current news stories. Not surprisingly, the story pulled in my emotional side from the beginning, and it's pace never let up.

An event in a small town cascades into a drama that keeps unfolding and expanding before we finally arrive at the trial, where the author does a superb job of heightening
Jessica Belmont
If you haven’t read Justice Gone yet, stop reading this review, go read the book and come back. I know you have a TBR pile, but forget that. Pick this up and read it. It’s incredible and definitely on my favorites of 2019 list!

This is an emotionally charged novel. A fair warning, many of the scenes were brutal and are scenes that will stick with you. N. Lombardi’s writing is so magnificently realistic that visualizing these scenes was inevitable. Lombardi is a clever, talented writer that is abl
Olga Miret
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am reviewing this book as a member of Rosie’s book review team and thank her, NetGalley, and Roundfire for providing me an ARC copy of this novel, ahead of its publication, that I freely chose to review.
This is not an easy book to categorise, and it could fit into a number of classifications, but it goes beyond the standard examples many of the readers of some of those genres are used to come across. When I heard about this book, my interest was piqued by several elements: the book features as
Lori
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
The author N. Lombardi Jr weaves together this physiological and psychological thriller by taking readers on a journey to places you wish you did not have to go. Along the way, Lombardi highlights many aspects, among them, is how environmental and cultural influences impact psychological factors when it comes to discernment and reaction.

The story starts with cause and effect. A look out a window and a false statement lead police officers to the location where they beat a war veteran to death. Th
Erin Cataldi
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Fast paced and gripping, this legal thriller will grip readers from page one. When an east coast town experiences the brutal murder of an unarmed homeless man by six cops, people don't think it can get any worse. That is, until they find out that the homeless man was a war hero undergoing PTSD treatment at a nearby counseling center. Riots and protests break out nationwide. Tessa is one of the head honchos at the treatment facility and she was particularly close to Jay, the man beaten to death b ...more
Jonathan Finch
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Justice Done To “Justice Gone” / N. Lombardi Jr Tackles Dramatic, Real-Life Problems With Real Commitment
A very sad but entertaining novel about how hard it is to maintain fair play and get a judge and jury to decide right. Indeed, the book is a discourse about right and wrong from the beginning. It is also a book which depicts war as a brutal and ugly “pastime”, given America decides to fight its wars away from home. It presents an America full of danger – mental and physical. Its style is eloq
Doug Yonce
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hot button issues abound as race, homelessness, police brutality, shooting of police are mixed in with counseling and lawyers to give a well-balanced novel in which some readers will find black and white, but others will see so many gray areas. Excellent story with believable characters, actions, and reactions.
Aleana Harris
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a engaging story. I like how it dives into PSTD and how much Veterans adure.

Dr. Tessa Thorphe is a veteran counselor. As she try to find out if her patient Donald is the one who killed three cops who had beaten a friend of his.

Tessa races against the clock to save him from a lethal injection and she get help from a blind lawyer named Nathaniel as they dig deeper they untangle a web of police brutality and the treatment of
Speesh
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Justice Gone is wonderfully strong, yet supple story, concisely interwoven with pertinent, even provocative points on some of today’s (American) society’s ills. About how we treat those we have pushed beyond their own personal ability to cope and our inevitable responsibilities to them, if we want to think we have a society where all are treated with equanimity and equality, under the (blind) eyes of the law or not.

A homeless vet gets moved along by the Police, he doesn't want to resist, yet the
Kathy
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book to read and review from NetGalley. Overall, I enjoyed the book. Being a veteran myself, though I entered the Army after readers Vietnam was over, I found the subject more interesting than perhaps many readers.
The story begins with the brutal beating to death of a homeless veteran by overly eager law enforcement. The vet had been routinely going to a clinic for treatment of war related issues related to PTSD, with a doctor, Tessa Thorpe, who becomes very involved in
Marie (UK)
I really enjoyed this. For the main part it was well written, concise with a pacy narrative. This is not true but it is more than a fiction. Lombardi has created the atmosphere engendered by one terrifying event so well. All the characters appeared scarred and I do wonder if the number of forces veterans as Main characters truly reflects the demographic. However despite this it is an enthralling read and I had the wrong person pinned all the way through.
Fany van  hemelen
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great legal thriller with peculiar personalities and realistic themes full of court action.

I never heard of this author, but I am thrilled to read this book and will read more of him. Apparently this is the first one in a new legal and psychological series and I loved this one!

From the beginning to the end this book has realistic situations whom made me read to the end in one time. Tessa is a veteran counselor, with a troubled past and Casey her partner at the office,has some surprising s
Lel Budge
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rachels-rr
A bar owner sees a homeless man on the street, he worries it will affect trade, so he tells the barman to call the police and tell them he was trying to steal cars….

Two cops show up and are aggressive from the off and start to beat him, back up arrives and they too start hitting the guy….in the end 6 of them best and taser the man until he is unresponsive ….and dead. He was a decorated war vet
and treated as nothing…..all to common unfortunately.

The men involved are put on administrative leave…..
Shruti Ramanujam
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed here are my own.

I love emotionally charged political thrillers, so when the author reached out to me, requesting a review, I almost immediately said yes. I went in with a lot of expectations, and for the most part, this book didn’t disappoint.

Justice Gone has 4 parts to it–the initial crime, the second crime in retribution to the first, a court trial, and the resolution. Jay Felso
Sharon
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Something like this utterly destroyed a veteran's fragile sense of validation, the affirmation that what he or she went through had meaning and was worthy of honor. To come home through all the risks and horrors, only to be beaten to death after returning to the country that you fought for, was an irony that pierced the heart."

Jay Felson, homeless man, marine, son of a Colonel in the United States Marine Corps, is beaten to death by three police officers. When the three policemen are not indict
Margaret Duke-Wyer
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the first pages of this book I was hooked. To be fair, the title alone had me hooked but, my, oh my!

Acting on a call from a bar tender who said he witnessed a homeless man trying the doors on parked cars, two police officers approach Jay Fenton, a veteran. The harassment turns to assault and backup arrives and this decorated war veteran is beaten and kicked to death by six police officers. The description of the beating is graphic and upsetting because from the outset we know that Jay was i
Erica Stafura
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My reviews can also be read in full at: https://thenovelquest.blogspot.com/

Freaking great. First off, thanks to N. Lombardi Jr. for reaching out to me and sending a finished copy of this greatness in exchange for an honest review!

Truth be told, I would normally not pick this one up on my own - I just have never gravitated towards anything where the subject matter revolves around the military or war. No real reason, just not something I have a strong desire to read about. Moral of the story is -
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Bend in the Stars
  • Guinness World Records 2019
  • Dead of Winter (Alexa Williams #4)
  • How We Disappeared
  • In Another Life
  • The Empress of Idaho
  • Unscripted
  • Rising Above Lyme Disease: A Revolutionary, Holistic Approach to Managing and Reversing the Symptoms of Lyme Disease And Reclaiming Your Life
  • Never Sorry Ever Jolly
  • The Perfect Alibi (Robin Lockwood #2)
  • Mistress For Hire
  • A Deadly Homecoming: A Toni Day Mystery
  • How to Heal Yourself from Anxiety When No One Else Can
  • Seeking Hyde
  • Emotional Advantage: Embracing All Your Feelings to Create a Life You Love
  • We All Fall Down
  • Motivational Spirit: How to Keep Yours Solid as a Rock!
  • Twisted Family Values
N. Lombardi Jr, the N for Nicholas, has spent over half his life in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East, working as a groundwater geologist. Nick can speak five languages: Swahili, Thai, Lao, Chinese, and Khmer (Cambodian).

In 1997, while visiting Lao People's Democratic Republic, he witnessed the remnants of a secret war that had been waged for nine years, among which were children wounded from left
“He watched it on the TV. Everyone watches TV.”
Bodine directed his face to Ryan’s, knowing exactly where the witness box was, his black glasses reflecting the ceiling lights above. “I don’t,” he said with a deadpan face.
Nathaniel Bodine, blind lawyer”
0 likes
“All of you combat vets have possessed courage on the battlefield. I don’t mean the heroic romantic version, just the plain vanilla courage of trying to stay alive. Don’t leave that courage behind because you’re going to need it to truly come back home.”
Tessa Thorpe, veterans counselor”
0 likes