Start by marking “Justice Gone” as Want to Read:

Justice Gone

When a homeless war veteran is beaten to death by the police, stormy protests ensue, engulfing a small New Jersey town. Soon after, three cops are gunned down. A multi-state manhunt is underway for a cop killer on the loose. And Dr. Tessa Thorpe, a veteran's counselor, is caught up in the chase. Donald Darfield, an African-American Iraqi war vet, war-time buddy of the beat ...more
Published February 22nd 2019 by Roundfire Books (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Justice Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justice Gone

Start your review of Justice Gone
S.P. Aruna
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Blown away. That's what I was after reading this novel. Easily the best "new" book I've read this year, as it was published only 3 months ago.

I had to ask myself why I was so taken by Justice Gone. I came up with the following reasons:
1) The narrative is very cinematic, structured into scenes with a beginning, a middle, and an end. Scene after scene. Since I love films as much as books, this doubled the pleasure for me.
2) Character development - the author does this by showing, not telling. as t
Jeffrey Keeten
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
”’Why did you kick in the television screen?’

Darfield put his head down, ostensibly because he was ashamed. ‘I don’t know, I wasn’t thinking, I was angry. I saw his face on the news, imagined those policemen pouncing on him, striking him with such...such violence. I was angry. Angry that a good man like Jay could have been...beaten to that degree...for no reason...saw those men just pounding on him...it was like we left the bowels of humanity only to return to the same fucking place.’”

Jay Felson
Vishnu Chevli
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-vimmy
Just like Vishnu I also started exploring newer genres and foreign authors. I try to grab as many opportunities as possible for the same. I first time heard something called a legal thriller when Vishnu told me about "Justice Gone" by N. Lombardi Jr. As I wanted to read something like this I grabbed the opportunity before any of our teammates give their concern.

The protagonist of the story is Dr. Tessa Thorpe, a veteran counselor at New Hope Clinic who stand in support for Donald Darfield who is
Louise Wilson
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
When a homeless war veteran is beaten to death by the police, stormy protests ensue, engulfing a small New Jersey town. Soon after, three cops are gunned down. A multi-state manhunt is underway for a cop killer on the loose. Dr. Tessa Thorpe, a veterans counsellor, is caught up in the chase. Donald Darfield, an African-American Iraqi war vet, war time buddy of the beaten man, and one of Tessa's patients, is holed up in a mountain cabin and Tessa sets off to find him.

The author has done a terrif
Nicole Chinnici
Justice Gone, a crime thriller that deals with issues relevant to modern American society, vaguely reminds me of John Grisham’s stories.

“What makes a person if not their own experiences?”

This story starts with quite a bang as a man is beaten to death by several policeman. With an opening chapter that raw and explosive, it pulls the reader right into the headspace needed to continue on. I, for one, had to put the book down and process it for some time before continuing. And I’m glad that I did, t
Linda Strong
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it

It starts with a phone call. A bar owner sees a homeless man on the street. The police are told that he's been checking doors on cars parked on the street.

Two cops show up and ask for back up. The homeless man is not armed. A total of 6 cops take him down, beating and tasering him relentlessly.

The man who is now dead is a war veteran ... highly decorated.

The power that be decide that this case must be addressed and put away. They come up with a plan .... send the case to the Grand Jury .. but co
Robyn
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think there has ever been a book that has pushed my buttons within the first fifteen pages. I became so angry and for a moment I was afraid that any review I write would have been of me ranting. While I did calm down, I still found myself thinking back of news stories where police have been involved using excessive force. Even in my own city. Don’t get me wrong, I do respect police officers and I know for the most part they do their best to protect citizens, but you do have a few bad app ...more
Reading Badger
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I must confess that I didn't have any expectations when we first received this book from John Hunt Publishing. It didn't speak to me, so I just postponed the moment of reading it, over and over again. When I actually started it, I was surprised how easy to read the novel is and that it took me less than a weekend to finish it.

Read more here:

"Justice Gone" is an easy to read book. Even though it is a thriller, this book is suited for everyone. What I like m
Shalini
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The captivating highly engrossing plot, the flamboyance and flair of the defense lawyers, and the plight of the war veterans homeless and suffering from PTSD all caught me in an emotional fray from which I was loathe to escape.

The story was thus, a homeless man was beaten to death by cops, public wanted cops to be prosecuted, a sniper killed the cops, an innocent man was arrested as the cops had no suspects, the lawyers embroiled in a legal drama to prove him innocent ==> hung jury with mistria
Danni (_forbookssake)
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tours
From the very first chapter, you are thrown into the action, and the devastating events that set the scene for the rest of the story. The violent death of homeless war veteran, Jay Felson, at the hands of the police, was extremely hard to read, and I don’t say that very often while reading. It really hits you, and makes you seriously think about the things that are happening in the world. To think that these types of acts are happening on the streets every day is absolutely heartbreaking.

Justice
Elaine
What starts with a bar owner trying to get the police to move on a homeless man results in that man, a decorated vet, being brutally beaten up and killed by the police. This triggers investigations, recriminations, political shenanigans and unrest, soon to be followed by the shooting dead of three of the officers involved in the man’s murder. Now, with a man hunt to find the killer, can justice be delivered or will it forever be gone?

This story deals with the many aspects of the judicial system
Sue
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a ripped from the headlines novel. It's about police brutality, veterans, PTSD, and homelessness in a story that is made even bigger by the news media. It's about people trying to make a difference despite the feelings of frustration that they feel.

The novel begins with a homeless veteran being beat to death by three police officers. The city officials decide that they will hide the fact that there is a video of the beating and they will protect the police officers. Someone else has a di
Stanley McShane
This book delivers a knowledgeable albeit prejudiced punch in a bow to the plight of our PTSD veterans, both with the lack of support for vets as well as the state of awareness of our law enforcement bodies. The protagonist is Dr. Tessa Thorpe, a veterans counselor, who decries the loss of one of her own, beaten to death, as she champions the support of Donald Darfield, close buddy of the vet killed by law enforcement in a less than enlightened confrontation.

This is an excellently drawn scenario
Devika Ramadoss
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clearly this would be be my one of the best read of 2019. A clean and perfect legal adventure at its best. An intelligent straight forward legal sessions to get glued to the plot.

I had no idea where the story was taking me as I was enjoying the narration flow which was meant as it was meant to be. The composure of each character was surprisingly amazing even though they exhibited the stress which was on edge as story went through.

This is one book where I admired each and every character. Author
Anthony
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions are my own.

An emotionally and politically charged thriller like no other, author N. Lombardi Jr. is set to release one of the most relevant and headline grabbing novels of the year with his upcoming release, Justice Gone. Here is the synopsis.

The Synopsis

Greville Waterman
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow - what a great book!

I had very low expectations when I started this book by an author I had never come across before but it engaged me from the start and I found it original and moving.

The heroine is Dr. Tessa Thorpe, a veteran's counsellor, who specialises in dealing with war veterans suffering with PTSD and how she copes with the situation when one of her clients is suspected of the revenge killing of three cops who beat another veteran to death.

The action is breathless but the characters
Olga Miret
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am reviewing this book as a member of Rosie’s book review team and thank her, NetGalley, and Roundfire for providing me an ARC copy of this novel, ahead of its publication, that I freely chose to review.
This is not an easy book to categorise, and it could fit into a number of classifications, but it goes beyond the standard examples many of the readers of some of those genres are used to come across. When I heard about this book, my interest was piqued by several elements: the book features as
Ritika Chhabra
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, the-e-books
Follow Just A Girl High On Books for more reviews.

I received a copy of this book as part of the Outset Review Program.

"You saved my life...You know what that means? Now you are responsible for it."

Justice Gone
is the story of a man beaten down to death merely because he didn't have the money to own a house and had no work other than to deliver letters. It is the story of a man who is wrongly accused of the murder of three policemen who killed the homeless man on the basis that he is an African-A
Marilyn
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the title, one would guess that Justice Gone is a legal mystery, but it really is a lot more. From beginning to end, it evokes controversary and arguments that typically fill the comment sections of current news stories. Not surprisingly, the story pulled in my emotional side from the beginning, and it's pace never let up.

An event in a small town cascades into a drama that keeps unfolding and expanding before we finally arrive at the trial, where the author does a superb job of heightening
Karen Cole
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Justice Gone opens with an upsetting scene which sees a homeless war veteran, Jay Felson become a victim of police brutality. Although I knew it was going to happen, the build-up is almost unbearably tense, as the hot, humid weather contributes to a fractious exchange before inevitably leading to violence and eventually, tragedy. It's a frightening fictional representation of real-life incidents where members of the public end up dead after an encounter with the police goes suddenly very wrong. ...more
Ally Swanson
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was such an intriguing, suspenseful, thriller read that is truly ripped straight from the headlines!

This book is thought-provoking, compelling, well-researched, with complex characters, elaborate plot points, and touches on multiple topics including real-world issues.

I found myself thoroughly invested in the storyline and totally caught up with the character’s outcomes.

This book hit on one of America’s toughest tragedies that we are still working through today – the homeless population
Jessica Belmont
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you haven’t read Justice Gone yet, stop reading this review, go read the book and come back. I know you have a TBR pile, but forget that. Pick this up and read it. It’s incredible and definitely on my favorites of 2019 list!

This is an emotionally charged novel. A fair warning, many of the scenes were brutal and are scenes that will stick with you. N. Lombardi’s writing is so magnificently realistic that visualizing these scenes was inevitable. Lombardi is a clever, talented writer that is abl
Fany van  hemelen
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great legal thriller with peculiar personalities and realistic themes full of court action.

I never heard of this author, but I am thrilled to read this book and will read more of him. Apparently this is the first one in a new legal and psychological series and I loved this one!

From the beginning to the end this book has realistic situations whom made me read to the end in one time. Tessa is a veteran counselor, with a troubled past and Casey her partner at the office,has some surprising s
Erik McManus
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another legal thriller that really kept me on my toes. Right from the get-go, this book grabbed my attention and wouldn’t let go. It was about a war veteran that is wrongly accused of the murder of three police officers and the ensuing legal case that is played out in court.

Right away, you are drawn to Tessa Thorpe’s compassionate character. She really cares for her clients and works with them to overcome their PTSD (overcome may not be the best word, more like manage and deal with their PTSD).
Lori
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author N. Lombardi Jr weaves together this physiological and psychological thriller by taking readers on a journey to places you wish you did not have to go. Along the way, Lombardi highlights many aspects, among them, is how environmental and cultural influences impact psychological factors when it comes to discernment and reaction.

The story starts with cause and effect. A look out a window and a false statement lead police officers to the location where they beat a war veteran to death. Th
Grace J Reviewerlady
I can hardly believe I've read this whole book - fast-paced with such a great story that I just seem to have raced through it in no time at all!

When a veteran on the streets of Bruntfield, New Jersey, is challenged by the police, despite trying to co-operate he ends up dead. Six police officers are caught on video and mass demonstrations follow. Dr. Tessa Thorpe, a veteran counsellor who knew the deceased well, finds herself in the midst of events to come as the police target another veteran, on
Happy Booker
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Justice Gone is a psychological thriller story. It highlights an event that happens in a small town and what unfolds as a dramatic and wonderfully set story discussing matters that we are facing in the world we live today. Three policemen are gunned down after a homeless war veteran is beaten to death by police.

Donald, a war vet is the beaten man’s friend and is caught by the officers and only Tessa and Nathaniel can possibly help him in court defending him from the fate others are so desperatel
Erin Cataldi
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Fast paced and gripping, this legal thriller will grip readers from page one. When an east coast town experiences the brutal murder of an unarmed homeless man by six cops, people don't think it can get any worse. That is, until they find out that the homeless man was a war hero undergoing PTSD treatment at a nearby counseling center. Riots and protests break out nationwide. Tessa is one of the head honchos at the treatment facility and she was particularly close to Jay, the man beaten to death b ...more
Jonathan Finch
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Justice Done To “Justice Gone” / N. Lombardi Jr Tackles Dramatic, Real-Life Problems With Real Commitment
A very sad but entertaining novel about how hard it is to maintain fair play and get a judge and jury to decide right. Indeed, the book is a discourse about right and wrong from the beginning. It is also a book which depicts war as a brutal and ugly “pastime”, given America decides to fight its wars away from home. It presents an America full of danger – mental and physical. Its style is eloq
Aleana Harris
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a engaging story. I like how it dives into PSTD and how much Veterans adure.

Dr. Tessa Thorphe is a veteran counselor. As she try to find out if her patient Donald is the one who killed three cops who had beaten a friend of his.

Tessa races against the clock to save him from a lethal injection and she get help from a blind lawyer named Nathaniel as they dig deeper they untangle a web of police brutality and the treatment of
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Lost Ten
  • See Them Run (Detective Clare Mackay, #1)
  • Hands Up
  • Deadly Silence (Detective Jane Phillips, #1)
  • The Art of Sherlock Holmes: West Palm Beach - Standard Edition
  • Christmas with the Shipyard Girls (Shipyard Girls #7)
  • Dead Inside (Maggie Jamieson, #1)
  • Why She Lied
  • Single All the Way
  • One Week 'Til Christmas
  • Hunter's Force (The Edinburgh Crime Mysteries #3)
  • Closer Than Blood (Gareth Bell Thriller #2)
  • The Empty Nest
  • You Are Not Alone
  • What He Did (Detective Rachel Hart #2)
  • The Fourth Courier
  • The Other Daughter
  • Rewind
N. Lombardi Jr, the N for Nicholas, has spent over half his life in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East, working as a groundwater geologist. Nick can speak five languages: Swahili, Thai, Lao, Chinese, and Khmer (Cambodian).

In 1997, while visiting Lao People's Democratic Republic, he witnessed the remnants of a secret war that had been waged for nine years, among which were children wounded from left