Start by marking “Restless Faith: Holding Evangelical Beliefs in a World of Contested Labels” as Want to Read:
Restless Faith: Holding Evangelical Beliefs in a World of Contested Labels

Restless Faith: Holding Evangelical Beliefs in a World of Contested Labels

One of the most influential evangelical voices in America chronicles what it has meant for him to spend the past half century as a "restless evangelical"--a way of maintaining his identity in an age when many claim the label "evangelical" has become so politicized that it is no longer viable. Richard Mouw candidly reflects on wrestling with traditional evangelical beliefs ...more
Published March 19th 2019 by Brazos Press

To ask other readers questions about Restless Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Restless Faith

Start your review of Restless Faith: Holding Evangelical Beliefs in a World of Contested Labels
Andy
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clear and compelling call to hold on to the evangelical distinctive (focuses on the authority of the Bible, the centrality of the cross, the necessity of personal conversion, and an active faith) whether or not we hold on to the label "evangelical." Labels are only useful if they can accurately help you understand someone, so we may need to give up the label "evangelical" if people associate it with the religious right rather than the above distinctives. Yet there is always the possibility of re ...more
Filip De
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in one setting. It's not that long but it's packed with insights by an evangelical for evangelicals who want to understand themselves in light of this present day. Richard Mouw illustrates succinctly this idea: "For me, the only way to be a properly functioning evangelical is to keep arguing about what it means to *be* an evangelical. 'Restless Faith' (p. 174).
This book does deliver.
Daniel Nelms
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read some of Dr. Mouw's work in the past, and when I saw this new book I grabbed it as quick as I could. I, with many others, find myself still having an affection towards the primary tenants of evangelicalism that can be traced throughout the centuries of Church History, while simultaneously feeling as if I have very little in common with some things today that are associated with the label "evangelical." Has the label wore out its use? Is it time to abandon the term and begin distancing o ...more
Радостин Марчев
Винаги съм харесвал Ричард Моу. Според мен той е един от най-интелигентните съвременни християнски гласове. Новата му книга не прави изключение.Restless faith е сборник с естета свързани с по-голямата тема за същността понятието евангелско християнство, към което авторът се определя.

Оттук нататък започва интересната част.

Първо, темите, които Моу засяга са много интересни – и изключително разнообрази. Той говори за авторитета на Библията, баланса между индивид и общност, политическата ангажиранос
Dave
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This review is by someone who, like Mouw, is struggling with the label “evangelical.” Is the label “evangelical” worth keeping? Especially in light of the abuse of that label by evangelicals who have fallen in love with Donald Trump? Although Trump’s name is mentioned only once in the book, there is no doubt that this is one of the big issues that Mouw is addressing, in addition to other challenges to the evangelical label. The book includes very personal reflections on what it means to be “evan ...more
Michelle Kidwell

Brazos Press
Christian
Pub Date 19 Feb 2019

I am reviewing a copy of Restless Faith through Brazos Press and Netgalley:

Richard Mouw tells the readers of this book what it meant for him to spend the past five decades as a restless evangelical as a way of maintaining his identity at a time when the term Evangelical has become so politicized that many believe the term is no longer via
Michael Bells
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: leadership, theology
Title: Restless Faith: holding evangelical beliefs in a world of contested labels
Author: Richard J. Mouw
Publisher: Brazos Press
Date: 2019

Richard Mouw is a respected leader within the evangelical community for many years. He has often been a voice of reason. So when I saw this book on an important topic for these turbulent days, I wanted to read it. And wanted to like it.

But I couldn’t. Not because he doesn’t come to a clear conclusion. I somewhat expected that with a title like Restless Faith. B
Norman Falk
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
If being an evangelical means to be willing to...
- Engage in humble and respectful dialogue with other Christian traditions in the pursuit of Christian unity
- Hold in tension both the cosmic as well as the personal implications of the cross
- Emphasize both individual discipleship and social engagement
- Embrace mystery, yes even in theological discourse (something evangelicals are known for to be nervous about)

...and if it allows to me wrestle with (not deny, but wrestle with)
- sola fide
- sola
Julia
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley.

What an insightful read! Richard Mouw's incredible wisdom and experience speaks loudly in this book. While being an evangelical Christian is challenging in today's world - and many of us feel disillusioned with the label - Mouw offers encouragement, honesty and a challenge. Mouw says - "I hope that many of us can stay restless as we hold on while exploring together whether the best way to remain faithful to the legacy is to let go of the label." His
Steven Tryon
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Superb. In this day when the label "evangelical" has been largely co-opted by the American religious right, is it time to abandon the label? Fuller Seminary president Richard J. Mouw argues that it is not. It is time rather to reclame it as it was used up until the last thirty years or so.

Mouw agrees with the four-part definition proposed by David Bebbington, that evangelicals emphasize the need for conversion, the Bible's supreme authority, a cross-centered theology, and an active faith.

Mouw ex
Steve
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mouw is no stranger to writing great little books. These include:

Kuyper: A Short and Personal Introduction
Calvinism in the Las Vegas Airport
When the Kings Come Marching In
Political Evangelism

Restless Faith is a very welcome addition to these other great little books. Mouw is a philosopher, an academic, a former president of a prestigious evangelical seminary - it is this that has kept him grounded and in touch with the younger more radical evangelicalism.

Here Mouw examines a series of fascinatin
Ken Kolk
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are interested in Evangelical theology and are a Calvinist, as I am, you may be troubled by many Right Wing Christian leaders claiming to be Evangelicals. Dr Mouw, an Alum of the college I attended, carefully and fully explains why he still feels Conservative Kuiperian Calvinists should continue to use the term. This new book is as insightful as the many other theological books he has written. Take the time to slowly read and study this fine book. If you do you won’t be sorry.
Daniel
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Struggling with the label of Evangelical

I appreciate a leader who has spent decades in the evangelical movement trying to reclaim that label for what is good. I grew up Pentecostal/Evangelical and have recently joined an Anglican Church. What one of my pastors says on being Anglican is he is Catholic. Not Roman. He refuses to surrender Catholic. We struggle to hold on the GOOD that has come out of early definitions. Mouw is walking through that struggle.
Philip Worrall
May 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Mouw has been one of the unsung heroes for me when it comes to being an academic for the people. I would say this is a quick read because there is no real argument that I believe holds the book together with other than these are the reflections of a man who has learned the hard lessons of leaning in within his Reformed tradition while being with the Evangelical coalition.
Mary
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual-memoir
I read Mouw's defense of the term evangelical with interest. AS he defines it, I can be called an evangelical--an emphasis on Scripture, conversion, the cross, and telling others. As the media defines it these days, I want to avoid the term because I am not a conservative and a Trump follower. Mouw isn't either of those but wants to keep the term at least for now.
Stephen Bedard
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a moderate evangelical, I really appreciated this book. I have often felt too liberal for conservatives and too conservative for liberals. Mouw presents a generous evangelicalism that is not limited to the narrow definition that has become so unpopular.
Carmen Imes
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great read by a wise leader with decades of experience in Evangelicalism. Mouw makes the case for staying plugged in to the Evangelical movement, even when we can't agree with the political commitments of everyone involved.
Matthijs
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mouw beschrijft waarom hij zich nog als evangelical beschouwt.
Jim
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, net-galley
Richard Mouw, former president of Fuller Theological Seminary and its current
Professor of Faith and Public Life, has offered up his thoughts on what it means to be an evangelical in today’s culture with Restless Faith: Holding Evangelical Beliefs in a World of Contested Labels.

Restless Faith addresses many of the issues surrounding the contemporary evangelical movement in the 21st century with a review of the basic tenets of evangelical Christianity: the need for a personal faith in Christ, the
Andrew
R K
Aug 29, 2020
Conrade Yap
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
People generally don't like to be labeled but the practice of labeling continues to be practiced in society. Scholars especially would often qualify their definitions of any particular label. On the word "Christian," one might ask what kind of Christian. On the label "Protestant," one might wonder which branch or denomination one is talking about. On the label "evangelical," some might shrug their shoulders or avoid talking about it due to its association with politics on America. Things are no ...more

• Jesus and John Wayne: How White Evangelicals Corrupted a Faith and Fractured a Nation
  • The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism
  • Uncommon Ground: Living Faithfully in a World of Difference
  • The Second Mountain
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • Colossians Remixed: Subverting the Empire
  • On the Road with Saint Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts
  • Doctored Evidence (Commissario Brunetti, #13)
  • Scandalous Witness: A Little Political Manifesto for Christians
  • Anatomy of the Pilgrim Experience: Reflections on Being a Covenanter
  • Finding Hildegard: healing through medieval wisdom
  • Dead by Morning (Inspector Thanet #9)
  • Rain Dogs (Detective Sean Duffy, #5)
  • God's Hotel: A Doctor, a Hospital, and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine
  • The Burning: Massacre, Destruction, and the Tulsa Race Riot of 1921
  • Saturday the Rabbi Went Hungry
  • Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry Into the Value of Work
  • Made For His Pleasure: Ten Benchmarks of a Vital Faith
Richard John Mouw is a theologian and philosopher. He held the position of President at Fuller Theological Seminary for 20 years (1993-2013), and continues to hold the post of Professor of Faith and Public Life.

News & Interviews