Start by marking “Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less” as Want to Read:
Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less

Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less

Everyone gets 168 hours a week, but it never feels like enough, does it? Work gobbles up the lion's share--many professionals are working as much as 70 hours a week--leaving less and less for rest, exercise, family, and friends. You know, all those things that make life great.

Most people think productivity is about finding or saving time. But it's not. It's about making
Published March 5th 2019 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Free to Focus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free to Focus

Start your review of Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less
Nicholas Kotar
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a Michael Hyatt fan. Even so, I'm sometimes (frequently) disappointed by the amount of fluff that he and his company sometimes pass off as substance. THIS book, however, is all good. I took the course about a year ago, and the book is even better. It's revolutionized my way of planning my entire life, and I'm a better man for it (dare I say it?) The audiobook is good, but you need the text version to really get the most out of it. Couple this with Deep Work and Digital Minimalism by Cal ...more
Jordan Shirkman
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of the few business/productivity books that isn’t bloated and cuts straight to the chase with a simple, thoughtful system. I admire Michael Hyatt’s discipline and commitment to doing what he loves and is proficient at.

Free to Focus balances productivity insights and theory with plenty of practical application. Hyatt also provides helpful worksheets that will help you implement his ideas. Unlike most other business books, he doesn’t go overboard on specifics that won’t work in your
Dustin Turner
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've never read or listened to Michael Hyatt before, you need to. He's excellent when it comes to goal setting and productivity. This book is no doubt helpful for productivity. If you follow Hyatt, a lot of the ideas in this book are not necessarily new. He has refined some of his ideas. Still, it was helpful to read it. I've found I need to keep reminding myself of what I need to do to become more productive.
Sebastian Hetman
I read this book on a recommendation, but it wasn't really for me so I'll leave the rating out.

Free to Focus may be great for overstressed and overworked corporate managers who need to hear obvious truths from an authority figure before giving them any serious consideration. I found Hyatt's platitudes on how to delegate and prioritize nothing but a repeat of what every other book on management tells you. Which may be exactly what some people need to hear again and again. Who knows, maybe this
Kellie Reynolds
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought I was done with productivity books. However, I am a fan of Michael Hyatt so I decided to purchase his latest book, Free to Focus. The book lives up to its subtitle: A total productivity system to achieve more by doing less. Free to Focus, if you read it and take time to complete all of the activities, is truly transformational.

The book starts by identifying the problem: we live a distracted life. We are bombarded by information, so nothing gets our full attention. A quote from Oliver
Tracy
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is how one would hope productivity would be taught at work. Free to Focus takes you from defensive to offense with your tasks and commitments at the office. Further, it makes a strong case why unplugging from work is important and should be intentional. The system is comprised from Michael Hyatt’s years of corporate and entrepreneurial experience.

The book covers the Free to Focus system in depth and the steps are easy to follow, which is especially important if you’ve never heard of
James
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book, which I listened to on Audible, might be useful to someone just starting out in their career or who have no idea how to organize their time or manage their work.

For anyone who has been in a professional environment for any length of time, most of this is merely hearing what worked for someone else. There are some good reminders and two or three useful tips offered, but I would not recommend reading (listening to) this book to find them.

I likely would've given this another star if it
H.b. Charles
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Filled with practical advice. Picked up good principles and pointers to guard, accomplish goals, and overcome distractions.
Stan Skrabut
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: productivity
Do you feel that no matter how hard you work, you are not making any progress? There are certain periods in my life where I felt that way. It is one of the reasons that I am so interested in productivity books and podcasts. I want to learn how to hack the system. However, I may be looking at it all wrong. According to Michael Hyatt in his new book, Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less , I should be working on productivity in order to get more of my life back ...more
Sandra Park
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific book. Fans of Michael Hyatt will gain additional clarity on familiar concepts such as the ideal week and the end of the week review/preview that are currently found in the Full Focus Planner. The book presents a start to finish method for gaining control of your time at work, although the plan can also be used for home tasks. The book is a perfect complement to the FFP, as well Hyatt's other books - Your Best Year Ever and Living Forward. If you feel overwhelmed, this book ...more
Lauren
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
I'm hoping I'll look back on this book as a turning point in my life when I finally started realizing my goals. HIGHLY RECOMMEND. I've started implementing many of the practices and tools he discusses here (including using Todoist and the Full Focus Planner), and I'm already seeing results. I like how he focuses on productivity (getting the RIGHT things done) vs. efficiency (getting ALL THE THINGS done). For too long I've been trying to do ALL THE THINGS and wondering why I can never get any ...more
Matt Witten
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really appreciate the simplicity and tools Hyatt provides in this book. I think a lot of productivity or efficiency books are lengthened through unnecessary commentary on bigger life views, pounding home small incidents, and over repetition (which is funny considering their topic). This book is not that at all. It’s quick but important, simple bit thorough, and gives easily actionable tips and tools that help. My only knock is that I think it’s somewhat idealistic and biased by his type of ...more
Carrie Daws
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been following Michael Hyatt off and on for several years now, so nothing in this book was particularly mind-blowing. It was, however, encouraging, easy-to-follow, and motivating. The steps he outlines are simplistic enough to put into practice, although many of them will take work to think through and practice to implement. I've tried several of his solutions in the past, which means rather than starting from scratch, I'm tweaking what I'm already doing. I've never been disappointed with ...more
Rainer König
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was so far the most expensive book that I bought this year, but it is really worth the money. Michael Hyatt gives you clear instructions how you learn to find your desire zone and how you can get rid of the tasks that are not in your desire zone. The goal is not to do more, but to do the right things.
Dany
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four stars! This book is simple and efficient. Free to Focus doesn't really show anything new, but everything is very well explained and easy to follow. I think I'll put into practice many of these tips :)
Genert
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-hacks
A book that distills many other productivity books into one. Less is more, indeed.
Michael Storts
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great refresher for me. I have been a long time follower and user of Michael Hyatt's productivity and life systems. I would recommend this book to anyone!
Eric
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Essentially this book is about learning to do less to focus on what is important so you can achieve more. This is a must read for anyone who schedules more in 168 hours a week than possible. Great sections on how to say no and delegation. This is one of my favorite books and one I will reference frequently.
Tom Schroeder
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People seeking to be more productive
Essential Guidance on How to Focus on What Is Most Important

In Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less, Michael Hyatt bridges from goal setting, the subject of Your Best Year Ever: A 5-Step Plan for Achieving Your Most Important Goals (Hyatt, 2018), to goal achievement by helping one focus on what is important, avoid what is not, and truly be productive. He addresses head-on the increasingly difficult problem of staying on task, caused by what he and others call
Mike Cook
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a Business Coach, the number one challenge my clients have is the constant tension between work and life. After reading through this book, I am impressed that it is not just another to-do list system, but rather offers practical advice from someone who has walked the talk. I recommend that you read it through once, then go through it a second time to begin implementing the system. I am excited to see the results that I and my clients will experience.
Michael Hall
Good read if you haven’t read anything in this space

If you haven’t read any productivity books already I’m sure this would quite insightful.
However, as I have read quite a few I found I skimmed the majority of this book.
There was also quite a lot of fluff in it and could have been more concise, or had more detail.
A lot of these strategies also seem to be geared towards people in higher management.
David Steele
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The subtitle of Michael Hyatt’s newest book, Free to Focus is a fitting summary of the content - A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less. Readers familiar with Hyatt know that he has created a unique reputation as being a successful businessman who is committed to efficiency and impacting the lives of people.

Free to Focus accomplishes its intended aim as the author unfolds a three step process which promises a more productive life that achieves more by doing less.

The three step
Myra
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was the subtitle of this book that piqued my interest - A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less. I want to be more productive, yet I'm not willing to add more hours to my workday or cut into personal time. Hyatt delivered on his promise to give readers the freedom to focus on what matters most.

I've read many books on time management, from the famous Franklin system to the 12-Week Year to the Four-Hour Workweek, and I've plucked gems from each system. But I prefer Hyatt's
Michael P
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A skeptic at heart, I assumed the author Michael Hyatt to be a more modern, smoother, commercially-oriented version of Stephen Covey. Still, I was excited to be selected to receive a review copy prior to release of this book and participate in the launch. The comparison in my mind to Covey at least was apt – I would put this book right up there with Seven Habits of Highly Effective People as a treasured and ground-breaking book and guide that I will read over and over again, for the timeliness ...more
Eric E Heltzel
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In FREE TO FOCUS, Michael Hyatt gives you a total productivity makeover. He outlines a process that doesn't just cram more into your day but helps you spend more time doing what's important.

Michael starts with a process to evaluate where you're at, cut distractions, and set your priorities. He then helps you understand why you need to make time for rejuvenation. You don't have to sacrifice your health or personal life for productivity gains in your business. You can thrive in all these areas.

Jiri
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Free to Focus Book Review

Are you in the middle of a whirlwind of countless tasks and commitments? Can you imagine what it would be like if you annually completed at least 700 tasks that you really cared about and desired to complete? In this book, Michael Hyatt guides you through three basic steps (stop, cut, and act) essential to sustained personal and corporate productivity (the Free to Focus System).

The book is intended for active people seeking space for focus, those who like to find purpose
Stan Stinson
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do you want to be freed to focus?

Are you accomplishing all you want to during your day at work or are you so overwhelmed with so many irons in the fire it seems like you never accomplish anything? Does your today begin just list yesterday, with the same set of tasks on your "To Do" list plus a few new ones?

Regardless of how you answer those questions for yourself and your current situation, you will be doing yourself, your employer, your family and friends a favor if you get your copy of Free
Charmin
Highlights:
1. Our attention is getting spammed every minute of the day. Leaving “room in the margins” allows for spontaneity. Our brains aren’t deisgned to work nonstop.

2. Great ideas come when our minds are relaxed and rested.

3. Clarity is where passion and proficiency intersect. Stop being distracted by things that don’t matter.

4. Diminishing returns of working more than 50 hours a week.
- Regular physical activity 150 min/ week.
- Nature is a stress killer.
- Playtime helps open creativity.

Rohit Langde
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
You don't necessarily need to work more. Instead work on what will create an impact. Work on what will drive you towards your goal. Work on only what you must, cut or delegate the rest.

Stop for while and evaluate where you are going. Decide what you want from life.
Cut unnecessary tasks or delegate if they are not in your desire zone. Desire zone is something consisting of tasks which you are good at (proficient) as well as enjoy doing (passionate).

That's the core message!

Stressing upon
Elaine Christine
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the productivity exercises in Michael Hyatt’s book, Free to Focus. As an author and course creator with a home office I thought I had enough margin in my life. Using the tools made me realize what was important to me and why. Having examples of other people using the tools gave me even more ideas!

Here’s My Productivity Vision in six sentences: I do social media marketing for my business Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I work Tuesday and Thursdays for my mastermind members. I have a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Founder’s Mentality: How to Overcome the Predictable Crises of Growth
  • Clarity First: How Smart Leaders and Organizations Achieve Outstanding Performance
  • The Power of Agency: The 7 Principles to Conquer Obstacles, Make Effective Decisions, and Create a Life on Your Own Terms
  • Questions Are the Answer: A Breakthrough Approach to Your Most Vexing Problems at Work and in Life
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • The Infinite Game
  • You Can't Know It All: Leading in the Age of Deep Expertise
  • The Miracle Equation: The Two Decisions That Turn Your Biggest Goals from Possible, to Probable, to Inevitable
  • Choose: The Single Most Important Decision Before Starting Your Business
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Do It Scared: Finding the Courage to Face Your Fears, Overcome Adversity, and Create a Life You Love
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • Start Finishing: How to Go from Idea to Done
  • The Human Swarm: How Our Societies Arise, Thrive, and Fall
“If you design your life so that you spend most of your time working on things you are passionate about and proficient at, the discipline to do those things comes easily.” 0 likes
“True productivity is about doing more of what is in your desire zone and less of everything else.” 0 likes