Start by marking “Border Son” as Want to Read:
Border Son

Border Son

It's been years since Edward Kazmierski has seen his wayward son. In fact, it's been years since he has allowed thoughts of Tyler to even enter his mind. The last place he knew Tyler to be was in an El Paso jail six years ago. Then, in one day, he receives a cryptic phone call telling him that his son needs him in Mexico, another from a federal agent searching for Tyler, a ...more
Published March 5th 2019 by Fleming H. Revell Company

Amy Bruestle
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won this book through a giveaway in exchange for an honest review....

Wow-zeeee! This was way better than I had expected! The only reason it didn’t get five stars is because of a few different personal preferences in plot. But writing quality wise, this book is wonderful and totally captivating! I even passed it on to my Dad to read who is extremely picky when deciding on what book to read versus what book to skip altogether. He is currently reading this one, so it passed stage one (giving the
Eva
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
I requested Border Son for review because it was marketed as a retelling of the Prodigal Son story from the Bible. However, except for themes of estrangement between two different sons and their parents, there was very little resemblance to the original story. This didn't much ruin my enjoyment of Border Son, but it's something I felt I should mention.

WHAT I LIKED:

-Felipe was my favorite character. He was an island of calm in the middle of drug wars and betrayals.
-Learning more about Mexican cul
Staci
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
What a great action novel about the bond between parent and child!

In Border Son, Ed has moved on with his life in Kansas with little thought about his estranged son Tyler. Tyler chose to go down a path that Ed didn't support. They had had no communication for six years. Then Ed receives a phone call to pick up Tyler in Mexico.

Their journey is filled with border crossings, drug cartels and violence. On the softer side there are characters with heart and hope underlying the rough exteriors. I espe
Karen Kay
I received this from netgalley.com in exchange for a review.

It's been years since Edward has seen his wayward son Tyler. Then, in one day, he receives a cryptic phone call telling him that his son needs him in Mexico, another from a federal agent searching for Tyler, and a visit from two men he hopes to never meet again.

Great story, quick read. Interesting reimagining of the Prodigal Son amidst the Mexican drug Cartel and the people who get caught up in it.

4.25☆
Chris Jager
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
How far would you go to save your rebellious child. Would you willingly walk into the lion ‘s den? How often to you forgive your wayward child? These and more questions you will be finding yourself asking as you read This gritty book about forgiveness and love.
Christian Fiction Addiction
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Bordon Son" is my favourite Samuel Parker book yet! The plot crackles with tension, and the action-packed scenes are balanced by some surprisingly emotional moments as well.

Parker's unique take on the story of the Prodigal Son is fascinating to read, as not only do we get a glimpse of what the son encounters, but we meet a father who makes grave mistakes but is given the chance at redemption himself. Of course, our Heavenly Father makes no mistakes and so in that sense the story may make a depa
Sheri
Samuel Parker is a new author for me and I'm so happy that I read this book!
This is a wonderful story about a father and son, estranged, and neither one really sure where they stand with each other.
The Story takes place just across the border into Mexico and although it may sound a bit cliche' that the story involves drug cartels and danger and all of the horrible things we hear about happening in Mexico, Samuel Parker does a brilliant job of weaving this story together, respectfully, with str
Gee  Dixon
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge, my-books
This is the first time reading a book by Samuel Parker. I was unsure if I was going to get interested in the story as it was real slow at the beginning. About 10 chapters in, which are very short chapters I did not want to put it down. I needed to know what happens next and then next and so on. My favorite character was Edward Kazmierski, the father of Tyler. He was my hero in all this along with the character Roberto Ibanez, which he grew on me. Once this story picked up it was a page turner.

B
Jennifer Robb
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: readers who like stories with a prodigal son like theme
Recommended to Jennifer by: LibraryThing Early Reviewers
3.5 stars (some review sites make me pick a whole number of stars, so it may differ).

At its heart, it is a story about parents and children. Like another reviewer, I noted a bit of a parallel with the Biblical story "The Prodigal Son" though this is set in the world of Mexican drug cartels and gangs.

Ed lives in Kansas and hasn't seen his son, Tyler, for many years. The last he knew, Tyler was in an El Paso jail on a drug related charge.

Camilla lives in Mexico but crosses the border into the U.
John Sheehan
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing, exciting, and captivating

Is the Border Son as you journey down this dark path of a hidden world of death and danger of a man lost in this underworld of drugs and money making his way out of this dangerous world will not be easy but with the love of a Father so reminiscent of what Jesus spoke of in Luke 15:11-32.

The twist and turns from beginning to end keeps the reader involved as if you are right beside this cast of characters with spell bounding intrigue jumping from one danger to
Ron
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this because of the use of the last name "Kazmierski" of the main characters. More violent than I thought for a Christian Fiction novel. Especially the murder of the priest.

Mixed feelings???
Sam Sattler
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-fiction
Samuel Parker's "Border Son" is a wild ride all the way from Kansas down to the southern border of New Mexico, and finally into the cartel dominated city of Nuevo Negaldo, Mexico. It is the story of one American who, almost through sheer chance, manages to save the life of a Mexican he happens to be jailed with, forming a bond between them that would impact the men in ways that neither could have imagined beforehand.

But at its heart, this is a novel about sons and their parents - parents who wi
Doreen
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a story about hard times, sacrifices, unconditional love, and reconciliation. It paints a scary picture of life for those in or who do business with the Mexican cartel as well as for their loved ones.
Camilla knows her son Roberto is involved in bad things. Yet she loves him no matter what. She prays for him to do the right thing. When he makes one tiny step in the right direction, she vows to help him whatever the cost. She has no idea of the consequences of that one action. She is an am
Jessica Higgins
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story of the Prodigal Son continues in a turn that will leave readers’ emotions spinning after the very last page.

When Edward Kazmierski receives a phone call saying his son needs him in Mexico, he isn’t sure he wants to go. It has been years since he has even thought about Tyler. They haven’t had the best relationship and Tyler hasn’t been one to reach out to his father either. After the initial phone call, he receives another from a federal agent wanting information on Tyler and two men s
Alex  Jones
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in Nuevo Negaldo, Mexico, a Border Town with El Paso , this is a tale about the drug Cartels and a young American , Tyler Kazmierski, who is caught up working with them.

Tyler’s dad Edward Kazmierski , estranged from his son for over 6 years receives a mysterious phone call, “come to Mexico to save your son “ , having not seen ot heard from Tyler and his last known knowledge of him being In a prison in El Paso, Ed has turned his back on his son, but this strange call has woken his fatherly in
Prairie Sky Book Reviews
“A suspenseful retelling of the Prodigal Son story like you have never heard before.” With this phrase my attention was captured, and I was eager to give new-to-me author Samuel Parker’s latest release from Revell Publishers a try. “Border Son” is a thrilling suspense novel that brings the dangerous world of Mexico’s underground drug trade to life with chilling vividness.

I enjoyed the deeper themes of redemption, forgiveness, sacrifice, and honor that were the foundations of “Border Son”. The st
Thelma Fountain
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book in a Librarything giveaway. This book is about drug cartels, the problems along the Mexican border and corrupt law enforcement & border agents but there are other themes that I found interesting in this story. The theme of parental love that doesn't fail even with years of estrangement or when a child is making choices that breaks the parents heart. The parents love is true, not perfect but it's there it doesn't quit. Ed and Tyler did not have a relationship really but t ...more
Dan
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Border Son is a story about the bond between father and his estranged son. Ed Kazmierski hasn’t seen or spoken to his son Tyler for some time. Not since the time Tyler called from an El Paso jail. He hasn’t given up on him but cannot keep fixing his mistakes. Tyler is now involved with a Mexican Cartel and although shot and left for dead, his life is spared and with the help of a priest, he needs to escape back to the US. There is where Ed comes in and the two of them struggle to survive and one ...more
Erik
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really didn't go for this book. It was technically written well, and Parker clearly is not a hack. But the plot just really let me down. The story was something we have read and seen in movies dozens of time before. Delinquent son gets in trouble with bad men, plain spoken Midwest father goes to his aid. Stock drug villains, corrupt government officials, etc. Parker includes a caveat in a authors note saying he respects Mexican culture and hopes he hasn't offended anyone, yet almost all the Me ...more
Connie Quarles
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I read anything by Samuel Parker. I was browsing in new books listed at the library and placed it on hold.

It’s a story about the strained relationship between a father and son. The unusual circumstances that brings them back together.

It involves drug trafficking, the Cartel, unlikely alliances, and the struggle to save a son.

It also gives you a glimpse in the perilous journey trying to cross the border illegally and reasons why some risk their lives to create.
Corey
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't know what to expect from this book and was pleasantly surprised. It was a simple story but one that resonates with many people....how far does a parent go for a child that has wandered off life's path. The book demonstrates the real struggle of a parent facing that decision in critical circumstances. On top of that it is not a half bad action story on top of it. I would recommend this book.
Jill
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-books
An introspective look at the southern border and the relationship dynamics of families. Author, Samuel Parker, put significant research into making the border and drug trade portrayed within accurate, however, the action was slow to develop and the characters failed to grip and connect with the reader.

*Disclaimer: A review copy was provided by the publisher. All opinions are my own.
J.L. Slipak
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

If you like riveting stories about parent/child relationships, rebellious children who get into trouble, quests to save a wayward child, lots of adventures, trials and tribulations, drug cartels, father/son conflicts and strong characters, character driven plots and gritty writing, then this book is for you.

Bryan Schmidt
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Could have been so much better if it had the grittiness that would fit the truth of the setting and characterd. Without that it felt like watered down half-truth so someone who knows these people and places in the real world. It was less compelling as a result and a struggle to get through.
Faith 09
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I found it to be really ok.
Exapno Mapcase
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lter
This is a dark and brooding tale of a long-estranged father and son taken from the prodigal son story. The characters feel real and give a heart wrenching pull to the reader.

Free review copy.
Elizabeth
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
A good read, but not sure that I ever connected with any of the characters. There were also some big unanswered questions.
Shelley
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
GREAT book. Reads like a Hollywood movie, so suspenseful. Loved it!
JD Sutter
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. So good!
RTC
Steven Ridgely
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great story. What a father will do to protect his son.

• The Good Detective
  • I'll Be Watching You
  • Black Monday (Stan Turner, #6)
  • Never Let Go (Uncommon Justice #1)
  • The Bear: The Rising
  • Trebizond
  • Keeper of Secrets
  • The Best American Sports Writing 2017
  • Spread Too Thin: Opting Out of Frantic Living. Opting in to Lasting Peace
  • Defying Vesuvius (Saving Pompeii, #1)
  • Everything You Need to Know about Social Media: Without Having to Call A Kid
  • Love Spilled Out: The ADA Wilcox Story
  • The Netanyahu Years
  • A Deadly Discovery: A Thriller
  • Novels & Stories 1950–1962: Player Piano / The Sirens of Titan / Mother Night / Stories
  • Black Gold & Heavy Traffick (A Michael Shields Thriller, #1)
  • Ordinary Goodness: The Surprisingly Effortless Path to Creating a Life of Meaning and Beauty
  • The Devil Has No Mother: Why He's Worse Than You Think- But God is Greater
Samuel Parker was born in the Michigan boondocks but was raised on a never-ending road trip through the U.S. Besides writing, he is a process junkie and the ex-guitarist for several metal bands you've never heard of. He lives in West Michigan with his wife and twin sons.