Start by marking “When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams: Hope for Today from 12 Women of the Bible” as Want to Read:
When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams: Hope for Today from 12 Women of the Bible

When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams: Hope for Today from 12 Women of the Bible

Life is full of twists and turns. Relationships falter, careers fizzle, health fades. We may be faced with choices we never wanted to make or have situations pushed upon us we'd never expected. Yet, in all of it, God is at our side--even when he feels far away.

Drawing on her extensive research into women of the Old Testament, novelist Jill Eileen Smith turns her pen to the
Published February 19th 2019 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams

Cheryl
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have read a handful of books from this author. I am a fan of Jill's fiction books based on women of the Bible. This new book is not too different from those books on the fact that it does feature women of the Bible. However, Jill does provide readers a very in depth look into the lives of these women of the Bible and how their lives translate to present day.

Jill really breaks down different aspects of each woman and relates it to how she would react. Than towards the end of each chapter, the
MJSH
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"He doesn't withhold the fulfillment of our dreams to hurt us. Sometimes He delays our dreams to teach us to trust Him. We trust Him by surrendering those dreams into His care."

I don't read much non-fiction. I read the Bible, some commentaries on the Bible, and the occasional books that we read for our church group gatherings. When Jill Eileen Smith released a "non-fiction" Christian living book based on 12 women of the Bible, I wasn't sure about the book but knew that the author would have wond
Isoken Igodan
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book dives into a unique research of the women in the bible, particularly in the Old Testament. You will see how God moved in the lives of women like Rachel, Hagar, and Sarai. God took their trials and turned them into testimonies.

This is a book that will surely remind you of God’s love for you and with the confidence that he is doing something new in your life each and every day.

I hope you will enjoy this book as much as I did.
Jill
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Known for her best-selling biblical fiction series, Jill Eileen Smith brings biblical women and characters to life in her fictionalized stories of 12 women of the Bible in "When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams"--Eve, Sarai, Hagar, Lot's Wife, Rebekah, Rachel, Leah, Tamar, Zipporah, Potiphar's Wife, Noah's Wife and Dinah.  Each of these women led lives they wouldn't have designed for themselves, but their lives bring lessons to those of us who have lived with disappointment of one type or another. ...more
Lydia
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve enjoyed many biblical fiction books by Jill Eileen Smith for several years and was curious to see if this new work, which combines fiction and non fiction would be as loved as those others. I enjoyed reading When Life Doesn’t Match your Dreams very much. The book is actually a combination of fiction, non fiction stories from the author’s life and her thoughts on how each woman from the Bible show us how to handles the disappointment life sometimes brings us.
It was very interesting seeing J
Nicole Cook
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Life Doesn’t Match Your Dreams by award winning biblical fiction author Jill Eileen Smith is an inspirational non-fiction book perfect for women of all ages. Jill Eileen Smith uses her extensive biblical research and the stories from the Bible to allow her readers to relate the situations that twelve women from Old Testament faced with struggles that women today encounter in society. This book encourages readers to use the lessons from the women of the Old Testament to reflect on their own ...more
Sherril Stinnett
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jill Eileen Smith pens an excellent assortment of tales based on a deeper dive into what might have been the thoughts, feelings, and situations experienced by 12 beloved females who lived during Biblical times, creating a book that is fictional and solidly non-fiction at the same time.
While many are familiar with the story of Adam and Eve, how many of us have taken the time to ponder on how Eve must have felt after being deceived by the serpent, whose actions resulted in the introduction of sin
Deena
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jill Eileen Smith puts her knowledge of the Bible and her gift for weaving engaging stories together in When Life Doesn’t Match Your Dreams. This the perfect book for study groups, or for your own personal study time.

We’ve all dealt with disappointment, loss, suffering, and pain. But it brings me comfort to know that, within the ‘cloud of witnesses’, I have sisters who’ve traveled similar roads long before I was born.

Smith doesn’t take liberties with the stories we’re familiar with in Scripture.
Kailey
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m not normally a fan of nonfiction books, but this book blew me away! It was so spot on about different aspects of our lives. Jill Eileen Smith did a great job of taking the stories of these Old Testament women and bringing them to life. She used their lives as examples and ties it in to modern life. Some of our problems that we face aren’t that different. This book moved me in so many ways! I highly recommend it for all women!

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. I was not requi
Fiction Aficionado
Reviewed for Hope by the Book magazine
Ann
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every women should read this book. Jill Eileen Smith took twelve women from the Bible that went through the same feelings and problems that we still have today. Each chapter has study questions at the end. This would make a wonderful bible study. Thank you Revell via NetGalley for the ARC copy of this awesome book. This is my honest opinion.
Rebekah Lewis
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it

: 4.5/ 5 stars.

I knew immediately I'd like this book after just the first page.
Told partly in each woman's point of view, it was a joy to get to know them better. There was something about Jill's writing ability that made these women and their lives so much more real. I definitely shed a few tears and smiled largely with them.

As we go through the stories of these twelve women, we imagine how their lives would have be different if they'd not made the choices they did, if they'd not made the
Leona Atkinson
Book Review of "When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams" by Jill Eileen Smith
Hope for Today from 12 Women of the Bible

"When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams" is a book every women can relate to in some way, as without a doubt most of us have encountered a similiar life situation that one of these 12 biblical women faced, because, as most of us will agree, life does not always go according to what we hope, plan or dream for.

Yet, this book shows us that even though life often doesn't play out the way w
Christiane Salts
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jill Eileen Smith talks to us as if in conversation, helping us to apply lessons learned from these real life women who lived in ancient times to our own lives. We are compelled to step into their shoes, drawing reflections and conclusions that may help us when we are tempted, regretful, inclined to lie or to be controlling, feeling ignored or rejected, etc. Through fictional scenes drawn from her extensive research, Ms. Smith paints a believable picture of each of the 12 women, some familiar, s ...more
Julie D.
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have always loved the fiction books by Jill Eileen Smith so much. They are stories that stick with me and, as much as I read, this really says something about her writing. When I saw this non-fiction book by her, I knew I had to read it because the title spoke to something in my heart. As I was reading this, not only did the title speak to my heart but each and every word in this book did!

Jill takes the lives of twelve women of the Bible and puts us in their shoes. I actually loved this concep
Kristie Ingerto
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited when I saw that Jill Eileen Smith had written this book, a Christian Living title, as I have read every single novel she has written and have come away with a deeper, and clearer knowledge and understanding of various individuals who are in the Bible. This new book, "When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams," is an obvious choice to read, because when does life ever go exactly how we have planned?! We each have our own ideas of how life should be, but God is the one who decides and h ...more
Gretchen Riedel
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Jill's latest Book " When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams"and must say that I thought it was an excellent read.
It is based on twelve woman from the Bible. Some of which include Eve, Noah's Wife, Sarai, Lots Wife, Rebekah and Rachel. Some we know more about than others, but all of great importance, if mentioned in the Bible.
We often, try to understand how these women might have felt during their their lives, but have little to no imagination to comprehend, which is why Jil
Erin Laramore
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic read! I know Jill Eileen Smith for her biblical historical fiction. This book takes it one step further, merging fiction and non-fiction. This book takes the lives of 12 old testament women (nearly all from Genesis) and relates their mistakes and things that happened to them to life today.

Each chapter begins with a fiction piece that incorporates the story in scripture - "If I were.... " and tells the story from that woman's perspective. After the fiction, there's a section tit
Angelique
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of the book When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams: Hope for Today from 12 Women of the Bible from the author/publisher in exchange for my honest opinion. I am not required to write a positive review.

Jill Eileen Smith has written several thought provoking fiction books that give us insight into how life may have been for the women we read about in the Old Testament. In this non-fiction book When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams: Hope for Today from 12 Women of the Bible she combines
Leslie M.
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was honored to take part in the launch team for this book, which looks at the lives of twelve Biblical women and discusses how they relate to the modern-day woman. I didn’t connect with every story, but some were certainly relatable. Readers are likely to find this to be the case with at least one woman and her struggle. For Christians, the women and their stories will likely be familiar, but Smith provides a lot of things to ponder in this book. The women and topics included are:

• Eve: From R
Kathy DiDomizio
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have loved and learned from every work Jill Eileen Smith has written, but When Life Doesn’t Match Your Dreams: Hope for Today from 12 Women of the Bible is one of those books I can sincerely recommend to every woman.
In it, Smith shares the background and struggles of a dozen women from the Bible’s Old Testament: Eve, Adah (Noah’s wife), Sarai, Hagar, Melah (Lot’s wife), Rebekah, Rachel, Leah, Dinah, Aneksi (Potiphar’s wife), Tamar, and Zipporah. She tells each woman’s story from what we might
Jennifer Mcilwain
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading Smith's biblical fiction books for several years and so appreciate her writing gift. I've also followed her on Facebook for some time and am inspired by the things she shares there as well. When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams is Smith's first non-fiction book. And it is apparent Smith has not only done her research but wrestled with many of the spiritual truths she shares in the book.
The depth of spiritual truth and challenge Smith presents readers is a treasure. The chapters
Debbie
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have nothing but praise for "When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams" by Jill Eileen Smith. I have loved every book that I've read that she's written, but this one really is the best. Maybe because she uses twelve woman from the Bible to show us that whatever we are going through in life is nothing that others haven't experienced and shows us that hope is available through our Lord. I so wish I could afford this book for every woman I know, because I believed every woman should have this book avai ...more
Sandy Griffin
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some stories in the Old Testament, we tend to skim over. Others we read with interest, but never take the time to really think about the characters spoken of, especially the women. We never take a moment to pause and think of what their day to day lives were like, what their hopes and dreams were, what they feared, or what they loved. Jill Eileen Smith does all of this and more in her newest book "When Life Doesn't Match Your Dreams". Jill has a unique talent for making even the obscure characte ...more
Judy Hardwick
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such an interesting book that take us into the imagined background of several different women of the Bible. I enjoyed imagining how Noah's wife may have felt as he was following God's direction, as well as many others throughout scripture. Jill Eileen Smith brings these characters to life and makes them easy to relate to as we also learned how to apply some of these characteristics to our own lives.
Michelle Treacy
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was recently given the opportunity to read this book prior to its release date free of charge. There was no pressure on me to give it a positive or negative review. But after reading the entire contents I will say this book is worth the purchase.

Jill has a way of making these people come to life, of bringing their short biblical stories and adding to them without taking away from scripture, and then applying their stories to our every day lives, like no one I have ever read before.The Author
Christie
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book tells the story of 12 women from the Bible. The author has written their stories, complete with thoughts and feelings that we can relate to, that are part of human nature. After telling their story, she goes into detail about why they likely felt the way she had portrayed them and shows that the problems we have today are the same as they were thousands of years ago. I loved how she brought the women to life, explaining their thoughts and feelings. In some cases, it made me realize tha ...more
Patti Whitson Stephenson
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For some time now, I’ve enjoyed Jill Eileen Smith’s series of novels based on the lives of women in the Bible. Because of her excellent Biblical research, I always learn an aspect of their story that I had never known or considered before.

This is a Christian non-fiction devotional book by this author. Through short “first person” accounts, she imagines what twelve different Old Testament women would say to us about their difficult situations. In each case, life did not match their hopes and expe
Allison Vandagriff
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever thought that if people really knew you, they wouldn't like you? Have you ever had your trust broken and struggled to get it back. Have you ever felt completely alone?

Have you ever wondered what Eve thought after being kicked out of Eden? Or Noah's wife as her husband built this HUGE boat and she was ridiculed by the people in her village? Or Leah when she knows the man she is marrying doesn't want her but her sister?

Jill Eileen Smith delves into what these women may have been feeli
Leah
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Life Doesn’t Match Your Dreams met and exceeded my expectations. Each chapter focuses on a different woman from the Bible and tells her story. While I initially thought that the book would only cover the women’s stories, the author did so much more. She carefully crafted links to today and our own lives to make each story relevant and showed how it is possible with God’s help for your life to be filled with hope despite the hardships that get in the way such as lies, despair, and mistrust.
F
« previous 1 3 next »
Jill Eileen Smith is the bestselling, award-winning author of the Wives of King David series, the Daughters of the Promised Land, the Wives of the Patriarchs, and The Loves of King Solomon series. Her research has taken her from the Bible to Israel, and she particularly enjoys learning how women lived in Old Testament times.

When she isn’t writing, she loves to spend time with her family and friend
“But waiting is exactly what God has often asked me to do. And I've come to see that waiting is married to trust, and the two together birth hope,” 0 likes