Start by marking “The Tinderbox” as Want to Read:

The Tinderbox

With her Amish parents' twentieth anniversary approaching, eighteen-year-old Sylvia Miller stumbles across a surprise--the old brass tinderbox her clockmaker father keeps in his Lancaster County shop has been left unlocked. Against her better judgment, Sylvia opens the cherished heirloom, not realizing that what she is about to discover will splinter apart her happy life.

S
Published April 2nd 2019 by Bethany House Publishers (first published April 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Tinderbox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tinderbox

A. Harrison
My Review:

Genre: Amish fiction.

My Rating: 4 stars.

My Recommendation: 16 up. Warnings below.

My favorite character/s: Hmm, I guess that would have to be Sylvia, she was an interesting character and I liked reading about her but I kinda disliked her relationship with her beau. It was like it was doomed from the start. *shrugs* That may just be me though.

My Verse for Sylvia is Matthew 6:21
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. (King James Version.)

My Thoughts: I liked this book,
Maureen Timerman
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Yes, I enjoyed this read, and be aware that all of the answers are not forth coming, there is a sequel coming in September 2019, and I am looking forward to it!
What a can of worms this young woman releases when she does what she is old enough to know better, and ready to join the church, but she opens a forbidden object that will change hers and her families lives forever.
This is just the beginning of the iceberg, and loved how as we get to the end of this book, there are more bombshells dropped
Tracy Smith
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful story by Beverly Lewis. I always enjoy getting to know her characters and see how they handle different life situations with lots of love and faith. Follow Earnest Miller's story as mementos from his Englisch days come to light and he must deal with the consequences of keeping them to himself for so long. Will his past come between him and his family and community or will their hearts be kind, loving, and full of forgiveness? Come find out and be sure to look for the next part ...more
Nell
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. It seemed a little long in places, but enjoyed the book.
Kristina
The Tinderbox is different from other Amish novels. It addresses unique issues. Sylvia is eighteen years old and has been courting Titus Kauffman, the preacher’s son. She is sure that he will propose soon. Sylvia has always been close to her father, but she does not understand why he is reluctant to discuss his past. When Sylvia gets the opportunity to look inside her father’s tinderbox, she cannot resist. Little did she know that her snooping would unleash a host of problems. In The Tinderbox w ...more
Trixi
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sylvia Miller snoops in her father’s Tinderbox, setting the course for a twenty-year-old secret to threaten to tear apart her family, her parents’ marriage and her community. It shakes the very core of everything she’s believed and has the potential to implode her relationship with her Dat. How can they all weather the coming storm?

When I first discovered Amish fiction early in my Christian fiction reading, Beverly Lewis was the author who introduced me this whole new world. I had devoured every
Sunnie
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A box full of hidden secrets. A life of secrets. A very touching story. I have loved everything Beverly Lewis. This book touches on a heart wrenching secret kept by Sylvia's father, formerly Englisch and not born into the Amish faith. When Sylvia discovers the contents of the box, a life full of secrets starts to unravel.

It is a really good book. I loved it and can't wait for the next book in the series. If you enjoy Amish fiction, you will definitely enjoy this book.

I received an ebook copy fro
Carol Allen
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read
Denise Riehle
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beverly Lewis' newest book, The Tinderbox, is an interesting read about an Englisher who converts to being an Old Order Amish and lives 20 years with a secret that could change everything. Everything for himself, his family and the community that has grown to trust and respect him. Sylvia Miller is an eighteen-year-old daughter of Earnest Miller. She knew that he had another life before, but they didn't speak much about it as a family. One of the things from his old life that always intrigued he ...more
Mardell
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked The Tinderbox by Beverly Lewis very much and it hooked me right away. The love shared between Earnest and Rhoda Miller spills over into the lives of their five children. Sylvia, the oldest, has dreams of having a close relationship like her parents have with her new fiancee, Titus. It was her curiosity about the one heirloom her father kept locked on a shelf in his shop that niggled at her imagination and tempted her since childhood. One day, by the merest chance, the box was left unlock ...more
Claudia
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The Tinderbox is the first book about Earnest Miller's Plain family, to be followed by The Timepiece in the fall of 2019. Earnest Miller was raised an Englisher although he had always enjoyed spending time with his Old Order Mennonite grandparents. So it was not surprising that after the death of his parents and other life altering events he chose to seek a life among the Amish, the Plain folk. What was surprising was how those events from his past would come back to haunt him more than twenty ...more
Pam Pavkov
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Tinderbox is a heartwarming story written by Beverly Lewis. Thisis such an amazing story that I had a hard time putting it down. The author has done an amazing job creating her characters to tell her story. The storyline is fast moving definitely keeping the readers interest to the end. The mystery involving the box is worth waiting forthe reveal.

I enjoyed getting to know all the characters. Sylvia is sucha sweet,loving young lady who is definitely the apple of daddy's eye. Ernest is very de
Molly Jaber (Cover To Cover Cafe)
As a long time fan of Beverly Lewis, I was super excited to be able to read this book. I know with her books, I will always get an inspiring story, great characters and an unforgettable plot. That’s what I got with this one.

I loved reading Sylvia’s story. Not only did we get to follow Sylvia and her love, but we got to see her father and mother’s story as well. It was really interesting to read this book, with all the secrets that were hidden. That’s not something you see often with the Amish!

Se
Leslie M.
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it

I’ve been a fan of Lewis’s books for years, so I’m always excited to see she has an upcoming release.
Sylvia Miller decides to peek at her father’s tinderbox’s, the contents of which her father has kept locked up for years. She had no idea that doing so would unlock her father’s past and secrets two decades old that would change her family and her relationship with her father forever.

This book takes the reader through a variety of emotions as the family and community come to terms with
Lori
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow wow!! Another blockbuster book for Beverly Lewis!! Oh my!!
Lots of action a d surprises in this Amish book! Not your normal Amish book for sure!!
This is why I love Beverly Lewis!!
The only thing I have to say is never open Pandora's box even if curiosity kills a cat!! And though there are lessons to be learned in this book!!
I'm happy to see Ella Mae is still a part of Hickory Holllow!! I just loved her and her wise ways!! I hope when I get her age I will have gained some wisdom from life's
D.J.
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it

WOW! I did not see that coming!!!

Sylvia Miller is much more stubborn than anyone would expect–and she is determined to discover the secrets in her dat’s tinderbox. But when she finally discovers his secrets, she’s more than a bit upset at herself. . . for causing more problems–and hurt–than she would ever have dreamed.

Beverly created a wonderful community of characters that will entertain and hold your attention to the very end… which has another little surprise.

If you don’t already have a copy,
Jacquie Stricklind
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beverly Lewis books never disappoint! I really had a hard time putting this one down! There was twists and turns everywhere in the book and the reader is left waiting for September to find out what happens to the main characters in the story. I also enjoy reading about the simple pleasures in the Amish life. Beverly Lewis makes the scenery very vivid in her descriptions. Five more months till the next book!
Kirsten
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I truly enjoy Beverly Lewis' books.

I feel like I have been to Hickory Hollow.

In The Tinderbox- painful secrets, past mistakes come to light
and must be faced head on and dealt with.
During challenging times, look to God
for help, for hope, and for direction.

This is the first book, I am counting the days until
I can read book two--The Timepiece!!

I want to visit Lancaster County
soak up the area while driving on the back roads
Diane Baker
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story of life, it's challenges and God's support

What a wonderful example of life, it's challenges, and God's grace and support. Truly loved this story. I could feel each of the characters emotions and their feelings; I could relate to how they were feeling - could totally engage with them.
Connie
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Beverly Lewis’s stories about Amish lives. I’ve read them all and enjoyed them because the characters are so comforting somehow. This story was a bit different because it centers around a man who joined the Amish later in life. I’ve sometimes wondered how hard it would be to live in the Amish way. Sometimes I would like to try.
Laurel
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is definitely a page turner of a book, as the author keeps you totally engaged in what will happen next. This book will definitely be a treat for any Amish fiction lovers out there. I'm practically counting the days for the finishing book in this two-book series to come out in Sept--"The Timepiece."
Jennie
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a different type of Amish story. Sylvia is the oldest and only daughter of Ernest and Rhoda. They have four other children. Ernest used to be English and has a secret that he has kept from his family all these years. The secret was discovered in the tinderbox. There's a surprise ending and a sequel due in September. Can't wait!!
Roland Gonzalez
Not My Favorite

I was a little disappointed with the first half of this book. I found it irritating that the characters would not confront each other with the truth and come clean, so to speak. Maybe I'm just the kind of person who wants to get the pain over with quickly and move on, but the whole premise seemed unrelatable. I was won over in the second half though.
Annette Moore
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
wow! Such an abrupt ending! but very, very well written! Makes me wonder, though, if this is going to be a series. I loved the book, though. It was one of her very best, and I love almost everything I've read by Beverly Lewis! without going into it so as not to spoil it, I will say that I've never read an Amish novel with a situation quite like this one. I recommend it!
Vicki Andrada
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my first read by Beverly Lewis. It was a really good book! It ended rather abruptly, and there will be a sequel in September so glad about that! I look forward to reading that. It's quite a touching and somewhat dramatic book. And ends rather dramatically. That's why for the sequel I'm sure. I would definitely recommend this book!
Sue
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have always enjoyed this author's books but some seem to have something 'a bit more special'. This story is as good has Beverly Lewis has ever been. Thank you for this story and I can't wait to read the conclusion, The Timepiece!
Samantha Boothroyd
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book full of hidden secrets, questions of faith, and lessons of forgiveness. A wonderful book! Beverly Lewis has done it again! Now just have to wait for the conclusion in her book The Timepiece releasing in September.
Lavon Moffett
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful book

I thoroughly enjoyed this amazing story of love and forgiveness. Beverly Lewis has been one of my favorite Authors for many years and once again she has written a book that will touch your heart.
Martha Valasek
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a difficult read especially over the issue of shunning...it certainly depicts that Amish way of handling divorce, keeping secrets, and remarriage. I will read the sequel but wonder how the main characters will deal with past of a person's life.
Mary Ballard
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Tinderbox

I was excited to learn about this book coming out and it did not disappoint. It was hard to put it down to get my work done. I loved the reemergence of familiar characters. It was good to be reminded that God is ready and willing to forgive us.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous best
“She couldn’t argue with that. “I’ll” 0 likes