Start by marking “The Art of Saving the World” as Want to Read:
The Art of Saving the World

The Art of Saving the World

One girl and her doppelgangers try to stop the end of the world in this YA sci-fi adventure

When Hazel Stanczak was born, an interdimensional rift tore open near her family’s home, which prompted immediate government attention. They soon learned that if Hazel strayed too far, the rift would become volatile and fling things from other dimensions onto their front lawn—or it c
Published September 15th 2020 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Saving the World, please sign up.
Corinne None intentionally written as such, no.

None intentionally written as such, no.

(I'm 100% fine with people interpreting any of my characters as autistic, and I'm told my allistic characters occasionally read as autistic, but I don't want to get credit for rep I didn't consciously put in there.)(less)

Start your review of The Art of Saving the World
Corinne
Jan 22, 2019 marked it as novels-i-wrote  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It's out! It's out! I started writing this novel in 2015; it's been a long journey and I'm ever so glad to get to share it ... even though more than a week after release I'm still severely freaked out when I remember that aaaaaaaa my book exists in the world aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

But, since Goodreads is meant less for endless authorly screaming and more for reviews ... behold: Reviews!

"Duyvis capably balances a zippy sci-fi plot that barrels along at a breathless pace with an intrigu
Silvia
Feb 12, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: rep-lesbian, rep-ace
"anxious, asexual lesbians saving the world from an interdimensional rift alongside a grumpy lady dragon mentor" (x) ...more
rachel ☾
i'm sorry did someone say

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagram
iam
I was drawn to this by the doppelgänger shenanigans and got an original view on the Chosen One trope and an intriguing and fresh take on the involvement of a mysterious government agency. Cannot recommend this enough!

Check out this review and more on the blog!

Content warnings include: violence and injury, (near) death experience, abduction/hostage situation/being held at gunpoint, imprisonment, panic and anxiety attack, medication; mentions of queerphobia, endometriosis.

I recently read and loved
theresa
Plot:
When Hazel was born, the fabric of her world ripped open in her backyard. She’s spent her whole life unable to go further than 1.5 miles from her house which has become more like a military base. This all changes when on her 16th birthday when the rift becomes unstable and sends through Hazels from other dimensions and instructions for a quest.

My thoughts:
The Art of Saving the World was a unique take on the chosen one trope which seamlessly blended sci fi elements into the modern world and
Brittany
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book. It takes a common trope found in fantasy and young adult (the chosen one who must save the world) and turns it on its head, because she isn’t Chosen, she’s chosen by those who pull the strings. It’s such an interesting concept, with Hazel having to save the world from a random threat that just jumps through a rift between worlds. I also love that the book really addresses sexuality and doesn’t brush over the topic. The Hazels have various sexualities. It even addresses asexuali ...more
El
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Also posted on my blog!

Rep: questioning asexual lesbian main character with undiagnosed anxiety, chinese-american side character, biracial chinese american side character, queer side characters with endometriosis & anxiety

CW: panic attacks, homophobia, violence, hospitals, hospitalisation of a family member, comas, guns, government organisations, suicide

I enjoyed reading this book! I was able to read it very quickly, and the story drew me in right from the start.

The Art of Saving the World is a
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

Dragons, doppelgangers, and dimensional rifts, oh my, this was a fun one indeed! While obviously the idea of the world literally ripping apart is pretty dire, the book still manages to have fun while being high stakes.

The Hazel we're first introduced to has never been allowed to travel more than a mile and a half from her home, which is pretty brutal. The government discovered, upon her
♥Milica♥
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ok here we go.

Hazel is the chosen one because why not? I don't mind the randomness though. Sometimes things just "are".

An interdimensional rift was created when she was born and on the eve of her sixteenth birthday it spiralled out of control, chucking out not one, not two, not three but four other Hazels (technically three at a time but you'll have to read to see how the fourth one appeared) from different dimensions into Hazel prime's world.

The rift also spat out a dragon called Neven - bef
Books That Burn
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clear-ur-shit
The Art of Saving The World is an artful subversion of the "big damn hero", taking someone exquisitely ordinary and doubling (quintupling?) down on her to great effect.

In this book, there’s a literal capricious and mostly-powerful but extremely mysterious force putting constraints on the MC’s movements. Which force you think I mean will likely change throughout the text, as there are several contenders for the title. The story has a lot of uncertainty built into it: the MC is a pretty reliable
Téa Belog
thank you to netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a free ebook in exchange for an honest review! this has not affected my review in any way, all opinions are mine.

2.5/5
hazel spent her entire life confined to a 1.5 mile radius to keep a dimensional rift under control, until her 16th birthday, when the rift moves, more hazels appear, and everything hazel thought she knew changes drastically.

we're starting with the things i liked because that's easiest. i did end up liking the conflic
kayla
The Art of Saving the World is a really unique blend of sci-fi elements in a modern world with an interesting and relatable cast of characters (although five of them are literally the same person). This book uses tradition storytelling elements but with a unique spin, and I especially liked the subversion of the "chosen one" trope, and the use of a grumpy dragon as the mentor character.

I think a subverted "chosen one" trope is always interesting to read about, but it's much more of a realistic
Steve Dunk
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Amidst all the inter-dimensional jargon, dragons, trolls, and ubiquitous beings, it’s the relationships you’ll be drawn to in The Art of Saving the World. The interplay between the five “Hazels” is at the heart of the book obviously and the story hinges on this concept of self-discovery through literal self-observation.

And while Corinne succeeds at that point, there’s no question the book is slightly frustrating in the sense that for its length (and it is long) you don’t really get any larger c
Becky
May 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020reviews
First sentence: The rift that opened on our farm the evening I was born was like a shard of glass: sharp and angled and not quite transparent, but tilt your head a little and it might as well be invisible. So no one could blame my parents for not noticing it that first week.

Premise/plot: Hazel, our heroine, finds out she is a CHOSEN ONE. She won't have to save the world alone, however, for others have been sent through the rift to help her as the POWERS THAT BE stand silently by watching and ju
day
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
4.25

(mild/vague spoilers throughout)

WOW this book! whew. it was tough to get through. it is an incredibly interesting subversion of the fantasy genre and the "chosen one" trope in particular. i think hazel is a very realistic and believable character (as are her counterparts). i appreciate the way that the world was pretty recognizably our own (if a portal started spitting out little monsters) and also that the fantasy elements (such as a dragon) were unapologetically fantastical.

it's hard for m
Dorian
Dec 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
(4.5)

This book was much more than I was expecting. I’ll be honest; most books with concepts like this don’t work. Most of the time they’re bland and quite boring. The story doesn’t really click and the characters are unrelatable. This book is very different from what I was expecting. I actually was incredibly interested in the overall plot of the story. I wanted to know how they would figure a way out of it, what something meant and how that could impact the story later, etc. But beyond that, I
Nicole Field
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f, dragons
I really love the theme of Powers That Be being incredibly negligent in the games and bits and pieces of information that get given to their Chosen Ones.

Both of these capitalised terms became first popularised by Buffy, but they're seen all over the place now, in books like The Rest of Us Just Live Here and of course the novelisation derivative of the popular TV franchise, Slayer.

But this is a completely new story, as well as a social commentary, and that's what makes it so strong and fantast
Emily
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, sci-fi, middle-school
Rana
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Corinne is the real deal in terms of representation and it shows; Hazel's inner monologues are this beautiful, sad, wonderful portrayal of a teenager who is confused and unsure about her sexuality but also about all those other things that teenagers (and I would be willing to wager, all of us) struggle with. Identity, being true to yourself, being brave and confident.

The rift in time with multiple Hazel's and what's really going on felt original and fun in a world of so many similar books.
William
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am not the target demographic for this book..... and that's a good thing.

YA -- especially YA centered around young women protagonists -- is a stretch for my perspective. I'm glad to see there's YA SF being written that is about as far removed from what I grew up with as possible. That's excellent!

All that said, I found a lot of the plot predictable. This is likely both intentional and beneficial for the sort of novel this is -- but the level of predictability I found distracting.

In any event,
Jenn
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020arc, 2020e
This is a really clever read. It takes everything you think you're getting and turns it on its head. Hazel and her other selves are amazing, and I want to be on their team, please.

This book plays with all the tropes you expect from sci fi and fantasy stories and uproots them, leaving a fascinating read behind. I love the fact that Hazel is irritated by some of the things her doubles do. Who wouldn't be irritated by their own habits? I know I would be.

It's a really clever idea, melding fantasy an
Sep 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I did liked this book and the cover to it. They was a little bit out there and dragged on good.
Tween 2 Teen Book Reviews
I've been looking forward to this book for a while, ever since learning that the main character is, as the author described, an 'anxious ace sapphic' which is basically my identity. It got the chance to read an eARC early, which was super exciting!

The Art of Saving the World plays with genre and YA conventions in the best possible way. Hazel finds out she's the 'Chosen One' from her dragon mentor, who works for the Powers That Be. If that's not enough, the book includes multiple versions of Haze
Farah Mendlesohn
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really unusual.

Five Hazels, one dragon and a rift.

There are some moments of clumsy exposition but I found this compulsive reading. Best was simply that anxiety and fear felt real.
Christopher Owens
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

When Hazel Stanczak was born, an interdimensional rift opened near hear home. Until her sixteenth birthday, Hazel cannot go much more than a mile away from it without it 'acting up' - expelling items and creatures from other dimensions into ours.

Disaster strikes on Hazel's 16th birthday, when the rift goes out of control and spews more foreign objects into the world and then comes unmoored and drifts away
Jenn of The Bookish Society
I loved this Dark Mirror-Esque teen Sci-Fi title. So many Hazels are trying to save the world. I think that teens will gobble this one up, There are so few books in this category for them, and I am a sucker for The Chosen One as a premise.
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A compelling YA novel!

Each of the Hazel's was uniquely brave and likeable, and the plot moved at a steady, fast pace.

Read my full review here: https://t.co/b8DZ1VpU3H?amp=1
Roo
Sep 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Thank you to the publisher and Edelweiss for a free ARC of the book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

The Art of Saving the World is a science-fantasy YA novel about a girl names Hazel who grew up in the shadow of a dimensional rift, and on her 16th birthday she finds out that she is the chosen one who will save the world, and she teams up with versions of herself from other universes to do so.

The book moves along at a fairly fast pace with exciting action sequences and
Kay Tilden Frost
My love for this book is deep and abiding; it's possible I like it more than On the Edge of Gone by the same author, though I'd be mad if you actually made me choose.

If your teenager sat down with you to watch Orphan Black, odds are good this book is right up their alley. Five versions of one girl have to save the world from certain destruction by The Powers That Be, but instead of blindly following the hero's journey laid out for them, they interrogate the quest. Why are they required to do th
Téa Belog
Jan 31, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, 2020
NOTE: originally posted on september 14, 2020, but for some reason this never got posted here. whoops!

2.5/5

• Sisters of the Perilous Heart (Mortal Heritance, #1)
  • Loner
  • Kimber (The Elyrian Chronicles, #1)
  • See No Color
  • Smash It! (Smash It! #1)
  • Chant and Crown
  • Smooth
  • Remnants of Atonement (True paths #1)
  • Facing the Sun
  • The Bone Houses
  • Three Things I Know Are True
  • Pulp
  • The Peasant's Dream (Hagenheim, #11)
  • The Summer I Drowned
  • Aftershocks
  • We Didn't Ask for This
  • Censored
  • The Dead Girl Under the Bleachers: A Craven Fall Mystery
See top shelves…
To prevent my Goodreads friends list from becoming unwieldy, I only accept friend requests from people I know.

* * *

Corinne Duyvis is the critically acclaimed author of the YA sci-fi/fantasy novels Otherbound, which Kirkus called “a stunning debut;” On the Edge of Gone, which Publishers Weekly called “a riveting apocalyptic thriller with substantial depth;” and The Art of Saving the World, which K